Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 09:34 AM   #1  
Old Cackler

Default welcome crystalitis!!!

and i'm sooo glad you're here!! you have so much more experience in this than all of us combined. please SHARE!!!!!

AND the fact that you had a revision, well, that deserves a huge amount of respect. it wasn't an easy choice 22 years ago, and i'm sure that you had to think about doing it again, even if just for a heartbeat!!!

now, for a real question. some of the ladies in my support group are discussing going to weight watchers. but i've also heard that WW has an overall record of a 6-7% weight loss overall.

and now that i'm 11 months out, and the weight loss has slowed [with 70 pounds to go!!] WHAT can i do to help this along? what are you doing?

thank you thank you thank you!!!
Old 01-01-2003, 10:33 AM   #2  
she who must be obeyed

Let me add my welcome. WELCOME crystalitis!!!

I'm with Jiff, the weight loss has slowed to a crawl, even took a 4 pound up swing while we were visting family after Christmas. The four pounds is now gone, but still.

In my case, I think when I start my exercise program tomorrow (01-02) I can get myself jump started.

Jiff I just can't imagine going to WW! I'm not bashing WW, but I have given them my LAST dollar, never again!

waiting for tips.

Debbie
Old 01-01-2003, 10:56 AM   #3  

Thanks for welcoming me! I don't know what I can offer to you because I also am at a stand still, this according to my surgeon was to be expected since I was a revision, I wouldn't lose as fast or as much as a newbie. The reason I was given was my stomach is not as elastic as a newbie, meaning my stomach will not hold as tight as a newbie (as far as stretching goes) does that make sense? I do not eat nearly as much as I used to but am still standing still, for example my sister had the surgery (she was a newbie) in Aug of 2002 and she has lost about 125 pounds (and looks wonderful), I had my surger Dec 2002 and have lost about half of what she lost. Even though I went into this knowing what my surgeon said, I was determined not to be a statistic and low and behold that is what seems to have happened. I only want to lose 40-50 more pounds and that is where I am stuck.

As far as Weight Watcher's, (we could probably own stock in WW considering how much money we have all paid thru out joining and rejoining..lol) but I was looking at their website this morning to see what ideas I could incorporate into my daily life, I was going to start the Special K diet tomorrow (Jan 2) with three of my coworkers, but am getting advise from my fellow WLS friends that diet is carbs related and we all know that WLS is to be protein, protein, protein. So I am rethinking the Special K (even though I have two boxes in my kitchen that I bought yesterday).

I will say that my sister and I started a WLS support group with people that we met over the web when our journey started. Right now we are up to about 15 people and meet every other week at a local wellness center in our area. I am the only revision amongst us, but we have recent surgery people, people a year or more out, people waiting for surgery, two gentlemen that have had surgery and unfortunately had severe complications and are both still in the hospital (a month or more) but that is what our group is, we know the risks, benefits and we became really good friends and are truly a support group.

So I would recommend trying to start one in your area. I hope I don't run of room here, but if you haven't already done so, check out this website: www.obesityhelp.com There is a wealth of information on this site, from selecting a surgeon, finding peers in your area (this is how our group came about), questions and answers, message boards, tips, before and afters anything and everything is on this site, check it out, I know you will not be disappointed.

If anyone wants to email me personally, you can do so to [email protected]

Take care everyone and Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2003, 11:00 AM   #4  

oops, I didn't give the whole web address it is:
www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/
Old 01-02-2003, 12:56 PM   #5  

Thanks for the link!

My husband is checking on surgery and I can use the link to see what people thought about his doctor and the center. Very Cool!
Closed Thread