Exercise! - May Running! Do it!!!!!

View Full Version : May Running! Do it!!!!!

ncuneo
05-01-2011, 01:02 PM
And so it is another new month. Hope spring is here for most of us and we are on the road pushing to new goals! Report it here all month!

My half marathon/pre-marathon(?) training starts this month T-2 weeks to increased milage. I'm a little nervous as I've been a little burned out and injury plagued (my own fault) lately; but excited to finally be training and have a goal. I'll also be making my final decision regarding running a full marathon during this time. So I think I'll be doing a little relaxing (lower milage) during the next couple weeks before the training is in full swing.

I also need to get my nutrition back up to par, I've been slacking some and need to get my sh*t together because the excess lbs on the scale seem to no longer be water weight. Luckily it's only about 5 lbs, so time to find that balance, which would be hard to do while training so no better time than now.

Happy running in May everyone!

Robsia
05-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Just checking in to get the thread on my subscriptions list.

I took my dd to get her some new trainers today - she is starting the C25K with me tomorrow. It will be the first time I have run since the Marathon but my foot feels much better and I have had no pain for three days so I think it'll be OK.

river
05-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Good run today, I did my LSD on the race course for the half I'm doing May 22nd. I'm happy with my time considering it was a training run, 2:14. It was cool outside but I still drank more than a litre of water! Looking forward to tomorrow's recovery run and some yoga!

JenMusic
05-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Hello!

As of yesterday, I've finished the C25K and have decided I'm going to keep running. I don't know that I would use the word "runner" to describe myelf, but I really like running, even though I'm slow as molasses in January.

I'd love to join y'all here, add what I can, and pester you for advice at times. :)

On the advice of a couple of running friends of mine, I've decided I'm not going to try to up my speed right now, but instead focus on (slowly!) building up distance. I'd also like to add another day of running to bring it up to 4 days a week. My goal for the moment is just to continue to let my body adjust to running and build up some miles.

Thank for letting me join you here! Happy running!

FatPantsSkinnyJeans
05-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Hello, fellow May runners :) (thanks for starting the thread, ncuneo!)

I have officially registered for my first ever Half Marathon this fall. The longest race I have ever done is an 8K, so I am nervous but EXCITED to start making progress with training!

Got new sneakers today, just for the occasion.

Any and all tips welcome, and looking forward to chatting with you all/picking your brains!

Happy Running,
FPSJ

indiblue
05-02-2011, 12:09 AM
Runs have been pretty steady these days. I do three 30-min/5K runs a week and strength training the other days. I'd like to mix things up a bit though and incorporate intervals and such into my routine. I'm not training for anything specifically, I'm just working to increase the length and speeds of my runs. Do you more seasoned runners have recommendations?

milmin2043
05-02-2011, 01:04 AM
I ran my 2nd half marathon this morning. It was cold, windy and rainy. I tried to come up with a million reasons not to do it, but I carried on. Race officials made us stop in a huge pavilion at about mile 10 for about 12 minutes. They thought hail was coming wrapped in a storm at the time. I finished in 2:21. 3-4 minutes slower than my first half at the end of March. However, that was with the 12 minute forced stop added in. I would have beat my original time by at least 10 minutes if not for that.

I am happy with that time. I finished strong, and with brain surgery only 2 weeks behind me, I'll take it. :) I don't have races scheduled currently, which is odd. I am going to be training to run a full marathon starting in August, however I need to keep my fitness level up. So, I should probably investigate some other races.

Good luck to everyone with their running this month.

Ilene
05-02-2011, 09:50 AM
I'm going to subscribe to this thread because I need the accountability :D...

I weigh the same but I feel fat :tantrum: and I know that's because of lack of exercise...

I ran 5k yesterday, at intervals of 9:1 it was very pleasant, it was cool and sunny, my favourite kind of weather ... I only do 5k anymore I'm really not interested in going longer or faster I just want to burn calories... Most of the time I burn 310cals per run... I'm happy with that...

joyfulloser
05-02-2011, 11:05 AM
In for May!!!! Have my doc appt later this morning to find out the results of the MRI I took Saturday of my left knee...here's hoping it's no torn meniscus!:)

Plan is to run at least 4 days each week and FINALLY drop these last few lbs and GET TO GOAL!!!! Will GET TO GOAL by the end of this month by HOOK or CROOK...take ur pic! :lol:

mkroyer
05-02-2011, 01:13 PM
First of all,

Thank you to everyone for all of your input regarding what i should train for!
Ive decided i want to Boston Qualify :)!!

SO my plan: for the next month im going to start ramping up my mileage till im back to ryunning at least 35-40 miles per week. I also need to start running long again, but im not in a hurry on that, so throuout the month i will gradually get back up to 13-15 miles for a long run.

Most importantly though, this month, i need to do a LOT of speed work.. and by speead work i mean tempo work. I have to run the marathon in 3:40, which is approx an 8:20 min/mi avg for 26 miles. My problem is that an 8 :20 is a very ACKWARD pace for me......just not a natural pace, not too fast or slow or anything, i just dont ever run at that speed so i need to learn it, and INGRAIN it into my muscle memory.....
ill be immediately jumping into a more advanced training program ---- It allows high(er) mileage, but also doesnt jump immediately into 20 mile long runs.... aLOT of mid week, MID length runs though (8-12 miles). What i like most about it is that it has a lot of long/mid-long runs AT Marathon tempo, whereas other plans want you to do it 20-30 secs slower than marathon pace...which scares me. anyway, an 18 week program, so i will be starting it officially at the beginning of June

Ncueno, youre doing the FIRST program, correct? ive heard nothing but great things about the program, except it is HARD. Because you only run 3X a week, every run is very hard. i used a modified version to get my 10K down from 48 min to 44 min. HARD HARD HARD.

When is the LA Marathon??

River-- thank you for the compliment about my times!

Re: smoking
ughhh... i quit for almost a year, then picked it up agian, than QUIT AGAIN, and then started falling into a clinical depression and started smoking again. I NEED TO QUIT if i want to BQ. S**T i could run a marathon now smoking a cig the whole way, but it wouldnt be fast enough haha

Of course, along with quitting comes....... THE WEIGHT GAIN. EVRYTIME. GRRRR... THAT slows me down ;)

claire0412
05-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Yay, May! Summer is nearly here!

I'm still not running (stupid leg) but I did sign up for a local 4.5km with the kids at school. Kids are running at 9am, teachers at 10:30am on 15 May. I thought I could test my 5k pace out because it is a week before the 5k race but we'll see if my quad is better by then. I felt it a bit when I was doing breaststroke in the pool today, but front crawl was fine (damn! always the hardest option!).

A few more days off to let it rest and then I'll have a test run on it. I hope it is OK for the 5k/10ks I've got coming up. I've decided 2011 is the year to get times for all distances on my chip, and the only one I've got so far is 1/2 marathon.

In other news, requested a doctor's appointment to talk about bunion surgery (thanks to the other thread), so that could put me out for a few months as well. Bloody ****, 2011 is not my year!

milmin Well done! 1/2 marathon in the wind and rain, yuck! But good for you and great time considering the conditions :)

sjdawg
05-02-2011, 01:46 PM
Where can I find a good plan to start running on? I'm am still very large and much running might be a stretch but I would love to do a 10K run in 2011. I need to lose a bunch of weight still but the run would be a huge milestone for me if I could get there.

It would be a lot of walking to start but I want to move into some running.

Robsia
05-02-2011, 02:09 PM
sjdawg - many people here, myself included, started with the C25K.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

There is a special C25K runners thread knocking around here somewhere and I can highly recommende it.

-----

I took my 9yo daughter out this afternoon for her first C25K session and she really enjoyed it. She started it last year as well but gave up after about three weeks. I am hoping she will stick with it this time. Week 9 will take her to our local Race For Life 5K. She did run it with my last year - she actually kept up woith me for about half the way but then had to stop and walk/run the rest. She is hoping to run it all this year.

And my foot behaved itself, which was good!

ncuneo
05-02-2011, 03:32 PM
What's the FIRST program? I will be googling that! I'm running 4xs a week for my training.

LAM is in March, sometime in the middle, can't remember the exact date, but registration is usually in July.

mkroyer
05-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Ncueno-- its the "run less, run faster" program... for some reason i thought i remembered you mentioning it...... nevermind then.... so you are basically thinking of doing a full in less than a year? the MArch 2012 Marathon? thats a fantastic goal!! How warm is LA in march, usually?

ncuneo
05-02-2011, 08:20 PM
60s/70s usually, although this year it was cold and raining for LAM. I'm not sure if this was the first year they did it or not, but the new route goes from Dodger stadium to the Santa Monica pier.

julesp313
05-02-2011, 09:17 PM
Two days into the month and I haven't run at all. The very mild cold I had last week evolved - or devolved, depending on your view - into stomach flu and I had to take Friday and today off work so I could stay very very close to the bathroom. Nasty, lemme tell you. I'm hoping to be better in a few days as the last thing I need now is to be sick all week. Bleurgh.

Ilene
05-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Did some HIIT running tonight it felt really good :D ... afterwards I did a back and chest workout...

JenMusic
05-03-2011, 08:53 AM
Hey everyone! Ran yesterday on the treadmill at the gym. The c25k finishes Week 9 with 30 minute runs and I'm slowly trying to build on to that, so I ran for 33 minutes, plus a brisk walk warmup and cool down.

ncuneo and mkroyer - All your marathon talk is both inspiring and exhausting! :) Good luck!

zetaphine
05-03-2011, 02:15 PM
I increased my carbs to 30 and was able to run 4.5 miles yesterday. YIPPEE! I'm still really slow (4.5 mph), but I'm glad that I can run for a full 60 with only one 1-min walking break. Now if I could just get the scale to budge...

ncuneo
05-03-2011, 10:26 PM
Lazy 3 yesterday. The slight decrease in milage has felt really good. I've felt more relaxed about my runs and just been enjoying it. I've also forced myself to stop warming up with a run before strength training/yoga on Tuesday's and Thursday's and I think this is a good think for my body too. I think I've been over doing it a little with the exercise and cals lately and that's been a huge contributed to my binging. So I've been really listening to my body and only doing things that I want to do and it's been resulting in better work outs due to better fuel. So I'm pretty excited about this new strategy. I mean diet and exercise should be for enjoyment not punishment. I'd binge all weekend then restrict my cals and beat myself up on the road and in the gym and that's was a bad cycle. I'm finding a better balance now and enjoying it all again.

I've got my HM training plan all mapped out ant it looks great. I've got 320-350 miles ahead of me in the next 15 weeks! Bring it on!

river
05-04-2011, 08:41 AM
Great attitude ncuneo, I agree, this is all for fun. If I miss a run or think about my times I remind myself that I'm not a professional athlete, just a recreational one, so I should be having fun! :D

I'm joining the YMCA today with my sister. I have an easy 30 min to run, so I'll do that there on the treadmill, then I'll be lifting and doing some plyo, followed by an shallow water aqua class. I've gone to some water aerobic classes in the past, usually when I'm injured, but this time it's just for fun and to check out the pool.

My knees are a little sore and tight from the half distance on Sunday so I hope this gets them loosened up.

joyfulloser
05-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Zetaphine - I can ABSOLUTELY attest...keep running for 60 mins consistently (at whatever speed) and you WILL lose weight! Don't feel bad about 4.5mph...It took me months to build up to that speed and even now I only run between 5.0-5.5mph intervals for 65 mins. But the weight has consistently flown off and my body is getting very lean (low bf%). I personally think slow and steady wins the race!;)

Ncuneo - Glad to hear you have found balance within.:)

*UPDATE* - Soooo...got my results of MRI back. NO MENISCUS TEAR...WOOT! Mild ACL and strain. Back to running, ran 5.4 miles yesterday...feel GREAT! Lost another 2 lbs this week, calories high...only 2 more pounds to go to GOAL...lovin life!!!:carrot:

zetaphine
05-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Zetaphine - I can ABSOLUTELY attest...keep running for 60 mins consistently (at whatever speed) and you WILL lose weight! Don't feel bad about 4.5mph...It took me months to build up to that speed and even now I only run between 5.0-5.5mph intervals for 65 mins. But the weight has consistently flown off and my body is getting very lean (low bf%). I personally think slow and steady wins the race!;)

Ncuneo - Glad to hear you have found balance within.:)

*UPDATE* - Soooo...got my results of MRI back. NO MENISCUS TEAR...WOOT! Mild ACL and strain. Back to running, ran 5.4 miles yesterday...feel GREAT! Lost another 2 lbs this week, calories high...only 2 more pounds to go to GOAL...lovin life!!!:carrot:

Joyfulloser: Thanks so much for the words of encouragement. I am determined to do 60 minutes of exercise 6 days/week until the scale starts to move in my favor. I've tried limiting my cals to 1500/day without much success. I tend to eat around 2000/day. It's no wonder I cannot lose any weight.

Glad to hear about your MRI results. You are soooooo close to your goal, I'm sure you can taste it. Congratulations.

joyfulloser
05-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Zetaphine - You may want to try a more "cyclic" approach to your daily calories. I'm not following any "plan", but I tend to naturally eat different calories, each day. I have some 1500 cal days, more of 1700-1800 cal days, and even less, but consistent 2000+ calorie days. I'd also not forego REST. I like to run 4 days a week which gives my body the needed rest between strenuous runs to do what I need, REBUILD those muscles and TRIM that fat. I think too much exercise (back to back days) may actually stress your body out...and in turn it won't cooperate with you.

I'd try variating my calories, so that it averages out between 1600-1700 cals and cutting down my running days maybe 4-5 days/week. I think that may help you break your stall.

Happy trails!:carrot:

mkroyer
05-04-2011, 12:38 PM
ugg... did about 5.5 around lunchtime yesterday.. im going to have to start running in the morning again..not because of temperature, but because my Garmin Cant pick up a signal when im downtown... i was SUPPOSED to do a tempo run at an 8 minute mile, but my garmin was jumping from 2 min/mi to 19 min/mi, etc etc... and the problem is, i dont KNOW what an 8 min mi feels like..... i havent ingrained it to muscle memory, so i considered yesterday a total waste of time/of a run. i have less than a month to build my mileage, run longer, AND teach myself new paces that are ackward for me........ grrr.... once i start training, every run will count, ya know?

Joyful- CONGRATS on the MRI results! evewn if its just a strain dont do too much too soon, or youll keep re-injuring it

zetaphine
05-04-2011, 12:41 PM
I'd try variating my calories, so that it averages out between 1600-1700 cals and cutting down my running days maybe 4-5 days/week. I think that may help you break your stall.

I'll continue to keep a log of my calories & carbs and try varying my cals. I'm super ambitious and tend to start a project too stong then taper off. I'll try your suggestion of only running 4 days/week to allow my body to rest. Thanks so much.

julesp313
05-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Had my first run since Saturday, when I did 4.2 miles, which was great. Then I got a horrible cold and could barely get off the sofa, let alone run! Today I did an easy 2.5 miles and it felt really good to be able to breathe and work up a sweat. Tomorrow I think I'll go do weights at the gym, and Saturday I have scheduled a 4.5 mile slow run, so hopefully I can knock that out. I love this slow building up of distances - aiming for a 10k by mid June and then I work up to the half marathon in October!

ncuneo
05-06-2011, 09:49 AM
4.5 Wednesday ST/Yoga yesterday and 4 this morning. Not sure what my long run will be Sunday. I'd like to do one more cutback week before training starts to build, but we're going out of town for a 4 day mini vaca and all the food will be at restaurants and course we're going to brunch for mothers day...so...the evil punisher wants me to do more. I think I'll just let my body decide and make sure it's fun and try to be more in control with my eating. We can have it all - just not all at once ;)

JenMusic
05-06-2011, 10:13 AM
A couple of questions for all y'all more experienced runners:

1. What do you do for (cardio) cross-training?

2. I've just finished the c25k last week, which ends with runs 3x/week. I'd love to add another day of running to get to 4x/week. What's the best way to do that without overloading my body? Should I just add a day but subtract time from each run for a bit (I'm doing 33 minute runs right now, plus WU and CD)? Or make my 4th day a really easy run for a while (keep in mind, I'm already a slow, easy runner at this point;)). Or just add the 4th day the same as my others?

Thanks for your help! This thread is really motivational - it's amazing what you all are doing!

ncuneo
05-06-2011, 11:06 AM
1.I cross T/Th and do very little cardio. 15 mins on the elliptical to warm up 30-45 of ST and 60 mins of yoga.

2. Just add what feels good. When I added my 4th day it was the same milage as the other days. Now I mix it up. 2 low milage days, 1 medium milage and 1 long.

Ilene
05-06-2011, 11:57 AM
1. What do you do for (cardio) cross-training?In the summer I bike, rollerblade, walk... In the winter I just run 3-4 days/week...

When I can get in a 4th day of running I just do what I feel comfortable doing, my body tells me... usually it's a slow run though :lol:

FatPantsSkinnyJeans
05-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Hey all! Just caught up on your conversations regarding marathon prep and cross training. Such good info, thank you for sharing it!

I will officially begin my first-ever Half marathon training at the end of this month. I'm extending the length of the training from 12 to 16 weeks to be sure that I can do it gradually and comfortably.

In the meantime, my focus has been on getting plenty of other forms of cardio, 1-2 runs per week, and really getting back to strength training. Lifting and doing toning work for some reason has always fallen by the wayside. So far I've been doing some really great, challenging gym classes!

Happy running,
FPSJ

mkroyer
05-06-2011, 05:54 PM
I'm extending the length of the training from 12 to 16 weeks to be sure that I can do it gradually and comfortably.

i highly reccommend AGAINST this.
the training program was designed to be 12 weeks for a reason.... mileage builds in peaks and backs off having recovery weeks....there are meso cycles built iin, where you are working on specific things, and the program is designed to peak at the right moment, etc etc... Im sure there are plenty, PLENTY of 16 week, or even 18 week half marathon programs out there.
How were you planning on extending it? were you going to repeat weeks?

FatPantsSkinnyJeans
05-06-2011, 08:08 PM
i highly reccommend AGAINST this.
the training program was designed to be 12 weeks for a reason.... mileage builds in peaks and backs off having recovery weeks....there are meso cycles built iin, where you are working on specific things, and the program is designed to peak at the right moment, etc etc... Im sure there are plenty, PLENTY of 16 week, or even 18 week half marathon programs out there.
How were you planning on extending it? were you going to repeat weeks?

mkroyer-- Yes, I was planning to just do each of the first 4 weeks twice before moving on to the next.... Especially since the Hal Higdon website encourages this practice, even up to as long as 24 weeks.

ncuneo
05-06-2011, 08:54 PM
I do agree with MK, however I am guilty of doing the same thing. I have a 14 week schedule that I'm working with for my 2nd HM and I added a cut back week that wasn't in there and I'm using my schedule from last year so that I have high/low options on my milage during the week (not on my long runs though) in case I'm feeling over worked or tired or whatever.

I guess I'm a little more lax about the whole thing, whether or not that's a good thing or not I don't know. But if you really want a 16 week schedule there are many many many out there to choose from to find one that acomplishes what you want. But be sure above all, to have fun!

FatPantsSkinnyJeans
05-07-2011, 10:39 AM
I do agree with MK, however I am guilty of doing the same thing. I have a 14 week schedule that I'm working with for my 2nd HM and I added a cut back week that wasn't in there and I'm using my schedule from last year so that I have high/low options on my milage during the week (not on my long runs though) in case I'm feeling over worked or tired or whatever.

I guess I'm a little more lax about the whole thing, whether or not that's a good thing or not I don't know. But if you really want a 16 week schedule there are many many many out there to choose from to find one that acomplishes what you want. But be sure above all, to have fun!

What are the risks/downfalls of extending the schedule?

JenMusic
05-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Morning!

Yesterday was NOT a good day for me, for a bunch of reasons, but after this morning's run I feel so much more optimistic. Is this that "runner's high" I keep hearing about but don't really believe in? :lol:

Although I've finished the c25k program, I went by time and not distance, so I hadn't actually run 5k before . . . until this morning! In fact, I was distracted and missed my mile marker on the trail, so I actually ran 3.4 miles this morning - my longest run yet! I did it in 38:44, which I know is pretty slow, but it was comfortable and I felt great. :)

If you had told me 3 months ago that I would be able to run for 38+ minutes without stopping, gasping for breath, and clutching the stitch in my side, I would never have believed you. If you had told I would choose to spend my early Saturday AM running instead of sleeping or reading or just hanging out in my jammies, I would never have believed you. What a difference 3 months makes!

milmin2043
05-07-2011, 09:16 PM
I ran a 10k this morning just for the heck of it. Easier and harder than last week's half marathon. I guess with both of my previous half marathons I didn't try to kill myself upfront because I knew I had to go the distance. The 10k was more challenging because I decided to really turn up the heat and push it hard. When I crossed the 5k mark I looked at my Garmin and it said 27:05. Darn, I wish I had run only the 5k b/c that was a personal record for me. Anyway, I finished my first recorded 10k with a time of 54:02. Not great for you young girls, I know, but great for an old lady with Parkinson's Disease. I have run a lot farther than a 10k, but skipped right from a 5k to a half as far as races go.

I noticed that the people who ran this 10k were nothing to scoff at. No weekend warriors or slackers. These were a serious group of folks.

I start training for the Dallas White Rock Marathon (my first full) on August 1st. I am having a difficult time figuring out what to do in between. I have a 5k scheduled for next weekend and then nothing. I have brain surgery (again) on May 25th and need my gall bladder out somewhere in there too. :( I hope these two things don't completely derail my running. The full marathon is on my bucket list and by God, I will get across that finish line one way or the other. EVEN if I never complete another one, I want the bragging rights.

Sorry about the long, rambling post.

aimeebell
05-08-2011, 01:59 AM
I beat myself! I ran in my second 5K race today. My only goal was to beat my first 5K time of 34:09, but when I was laying in bed this morning, I thought "wouldn't it be cool if I could run it in less than 30 minutes?" Then I thought, "Nah, not gonna happen, just stick with beating yourself." During the race, I felt like I was running faster than normal, but my Nike + was telling me my pace was slower than normal. I can't see the actual time on it; it just tells me my "current pace" and it was saying 11:30+ minute miles. I was bummed, wondering how I felt like I was running faster, how I had a cramp in my side from running faster than usual, but somehow I was running slower. Then as I got near the finish line, I gave my kids a thumbs up sign just as I noticed the clock......it was at 29:09, then I ran like heck to get to it before it changed to 30:00. Final time 29:28.5. Lesson learned, never wearing Nike+ for a race again, not accurate enough, and that can really mess with the mindset. Super fun race for Mother's Day, DJ, BBQ by the pool, and flowers for the ladies. FUN!

ncuneo
05-08-2011, 11:30 AM
What are the risks/downfalls of extending the schedule?

If you're extending at the front of your training, I'd say nothing. I think the problems are more if you were to extend it at the back, pushing your peak too far from the race or doubling up on the peak risking over training, stuff like that. But just extending the first for weeks of your schedule, especially if this is your first, shouldn't be a problem and is probably a good idea.

4 miles for me Friday and 8 today for Mother's Day. It was a beautiful sunrise run. I decided to keep it low, there are plenty of long runs in my future. I'll be hitting a new long distance in my training for my half so I'm super stoked about that. I'm also a little nervous.

I'm at 344 miles for the year. Doing the math it will be pretty difficult to break 1,000 as I'd hoped, but I'm ok with it. It will be difficult because I'm hoping to lower my milage significantly between my HM training and FM training so if the reason I'm not breaking 1,000 is because I'm prepping to run a full marthong then it's worth it!

Happy Mother's Day to all the amazing mommas out there!

FatPantsSkinnyJeans
05-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Thanks ncuneo and mkroyer for all of the pro pointers! And great work to everyone else :)

aimeebell
05-09-2011, 12:26 AM
My side was aching during the second mile of my 5K yesterday. I don't normally get them, so I chalked it up to a side stitch from running, thus breathing, faster than normal. The pain was not unbearable and I ran through it. It probably lasted for a half mile, then disappeared......until today. My right side is so sore today; I noticed it before I even got out of bed. I am wondering if I strained the muscle, or do side stitches normally ache the next day?

krampus
05-09-2011, 12:48 AM
Sigh. I stepped on a nail this morning and it hurts a lot. Luckily didn't impale since I still have lightning reflexes as far as pain is concerned. Bloody mess everywhere but I should be OK in a day or two.

I've been running 2-3 miles on pavement outside about 3 times a week. I can't seem to get my "old" stamina back and I get really bored after about half an hour. I hate to think that it's because I've gained back ~6-8 lbs that I can't run as far or fast.

ncuneo
05-09-2011, 10:57 AM
Easy 3 miles on the beach this morning. I think this was my first beach run since I started running - what have I been waiting for?

I finally realized what I love so much about training - being allowed to run shorter distances. I know that sounds weird, but I love a good 3 miler, sometimes it's not enough but a lot of the time it feels really good. When I do it just because I feel like I'm slacking off, but as a part of training I'm doing what I'm "supposed" to do...kinda silly mentality, but isn't that what all of this for to just feel go no mater if that's 1 mile or 12? Extreme example I know, but you get the picture.

mkroyer
05-09-2011, 12:26 PM
If you're extending at the front of your training, I'd say nothing. I think the problems are more if you were to extend it at the back, pushing your peak too far from the race or doubling up on the peak risking over training, stuff like that. But just extending the first for weeks of your schedule, especially if this is your first, shouldn't be a problem and is probably a good idea.

^^^
this

you could also look into a good mileage base buildup program before you officially begin training

mkroyer
05-09-2011, 12:49 PM
finallly FINALLY got my trail run on this weekend!! it was beautiful~almost 90 degrees, but much cooler in the mountains. I did two of myfavortie runs,, the one on sat just a quikie 4.5 mile trail run, but the ascent is a BI**H! i love it and its really close
But my fav run is the one o did on Sat...... almost 8 miles of this wonderful medly of every type of terrain you can imagine, from open meadows, to running along the cliffs of mountains, to twisting and turning and climbing through huge rock formations. Theres a decent 3 mile ascent at the beginiing, but unlike OTHER trail runs the profile doesnt look like this : ^ lol.... UP then down, and youre done. This is a huge loop with a lot of rollling, and quick uphills the last half, so it continues to be a workout
I also realized what i LOVE so much abot trail running.... there is no "goal". The GOAL is the run itself, the enjoyment of the moment in the run.... no splits, no tempos, no GARMIN or HR monitor, no IPOD, nothing..... its meditative, and beautiful, and i love it

I think i decided i dont ever want to do an Ultramarathon, because those are ALL trail races, and i dont want to turn trail running into trail "TRAINING". you know?

fitness4life
05-09-2011, 01:10 PM
I ran my 2nd 5K on Sat., the first one being last year the same month I turned 40. I got first (for my age group) last year. I am rediculously self-competitive so I set my standard after that.

The 5K is a huge challenge for even the elite runners because it's unbelievably hilly. The first mile alone is 175 foot vertical mile. You go up and down 175 the 2nd mile, the third is more up then 1 big down with that last 1/3 mile being a flat straight away. In some ways the last sprint is the hardest part trying not to throw up after all those hills!

Well, I nailed it! Not only did I get 1st for my age group again this year, I improved my time by nearly 2 minutes! :D

Next Sat, I'm running my 3rd 5K and it is all flat. So my goal is to improve my time by 2 more minutes.

Wish me luck!

ncuneo
05-09-2011, 01:10 PM
I think i decided i dont ever want to do an Ultramarathon, because those are ALL trail races, and i dont want to turn trail running into trail "TRAINING". you know?

This is a fantastic realization MK. Having something active that is just for you and like you said meditative is so important and so satisfying. I'm so glad you found that for you.

krampus
05-10-2011, 12:08 AM
Ran on my tetanus foot, seems unaffected. I think making that whiny post yesterday inspired me to push myself harder - I stayed out longer and went further than I have in quite some time.

JenMusic
05-10-2011, 09:32 AM
krampus - What does it say about my sense of humor that I find "tetanus foot" to be kind of funny? :lol: Sorry about that - you did get a tetanus booster before you moved to Japan, right? I hope everything is all better soon, and glad you got a good run.

Yesterday's run was uncomfortable. It was my first afternoon run outdoors (generally mornings are outside, afternoons are on a treadmill at the gym). But I wasn't going to get to the gym, so I sucked it up and ran in 85 degree Atlanta weather for the first time. YIKES! I did 33 minutes before I was wiped out. I was well-hydrated before, but I couldn't believe how tiring it was to run in that kind of weather. As summer begins in earnest here, I see a lot more early mornings or treadmill runs in my future.

On another running note, I leave for a 1 week NYC vacation this Friday. One of my "Must Dos" is to run in Central Park. :) That, in and of itself, is a major goal for me, running in one of the most famous places in the world. I might also, just for fun, do a little run like Phoebe from "Friends." That episode cracks me up!

Ilene
05-10-2011, 10:00 AM
JenMusic -- I am a definite winter and very cool weather runner :yes: ... Yesterday I ran in 22c/72f and I could barely do run/walk intervals, argh soo annoying... and it wasn't even that hot, serioiusly, what will I do when it gets really hot... The park I ran in is on the river with a beautiful breaze but when you turn around there is no more breaze and that's what kills me, the sun beaming down on me is also hard to take... It's another nice day today I may try it again... All this to say that I understand :yes: about warm weather running... I also bike more in the summer for the reason that there is always a breaze on a bike...

joyfulloser
05-10-2011, 10:12 AM
JenMusic - I'm from NYC and used to have lunch in Central Park all the time.:) It's quite gorgeous there now...but just one thing...I wouldn't recommend running in Central Park at night!;) Gotta luv NYC though...oh what a odd combo of beauty, culture and crime!:lol:

ncuneo
05-10-2011, 12:26 PM
Jen I'm so jealous! I'm obsessed with NYC and the last time I was there I wasn't exactly a runner! Enjoy every moment of that!

No run for me today. Still on my mini vaca and hit a yoga studio this morning - amazing!

Run tomorrow though. I'm debating on another beach run or running one of the bay trails.

JenMusic
05-10-2011, 03:07 PM
I'm obsessed with NYC and the last time I was there I wasn't exactly a runner!

Exactly, ncuneo! I never thought I would be able to run more than 10 feet, so the idea that I even COULD run in Central Park has me giddy.

Of course, running on the beach isn't too shabby, either. ;)

indiblue
05-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Help guys! I developed a sharp pain on the outside of my right kneecap. I ran about 3 1/2 miles over the weekend in some terrible shoes (borrowed) and am suffering the consequences. It hurt for about 12 hours after the run, going down stairs and walking around after sitting down for periods of time, and it started hurting again midway through my run today. I did a test for runner's knee (pressing on the kneecap while engaging the thigh muscle) and it didn't hurt. Any ideas?

krampus
05-10-2011, 11:42 PM
I hate running in heat/humidity, Fukuoka is very similar to the U.S. deep South climate-wise and it feels like a damp rag. I'd say my favorite outdoor running climate is 35-50 degrees Fahrenheit - cold enough to keep me moving.

Rainy season is coming. I hate being cooped up indoors but I don't trust myself not to slip and violently injure myself running in torrential rain.

indiblue I have no idea what it could be, but take care and I hope you can find relief from the pain. Maybe don't run for a little while and opt for knee-easy exercise instead?

JenMusic I have a vulgar sense of humor, I censor myself a LOT on 3FC. I thought "tetanus foot" was funny too! ;) It's fine though, no tetanus. I'm so excited for your NYC trip, have a nice run in the park! My boyfriend and I had our first date in Central Park, but we ate ice cream twice and didn't run...ha!

JenMusic
05-11-2011, 10:42 AM
krampus - I worry sometimes about being misunderstood online - it's so hard to tell tone in text. Glad we both have a sense of humor about deadly diseases. ;)

Ice cream in CP sounds like something I could definitely enjoy after the run! I'll need to replace glycogen somehow, right?

indiblue - I'm way too new to running to even make a guess as to what it could be, but I hope you get some relief soon and that it's nothing serious.

Yesterday was a rest day, but I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought some new running shoes. I had been fitted last year at a running store, but those shoes were WAY beyond their useful life. I decided to wait to the shell out $$ on new shoes until I knew I was going to continue running.

I went to a different local running store this time, since it's closer, and had a great experience. This store had all the technical doodads - the foot pressure mat, the treadmill and gait analysis - and it turns out my feet are different than I thought. I've always, even as a child, been told I have flat feet. Well, it turns out only my left foot is flat, while my right foot has a medium arch. That explains while my plantar fasciitis has only ever been an issue in my left foot, huh?

Onto the gait analysis, where it turns out I have a neutral strike (as opposed to being an overpronator, which the last running store told me).

The clerk was so patient with me. I tried on some Asics (what I've been running in), some Adidas, and some Brooks. It was pretty funny - I kept referring to the Brooks as Nikes, because I thought the little logo on the side was swoosh. It wasn't until the clerk said "Brooks" for like the 14th time that I realized they weren't Nikes at all.

I ended up with the Brooks, after running around the shopping center a bazillion times, in my work clothes no less! :) I also got a new sports bra since my faithful Enell is now too large. I tried on a bunch of Moving Comfort and ended up with the Juno.

I'll do a run this afternoon in all my new gear. I can't wait. :)

ncuneo
05-11-2011, 11:30 AM
Krampus/Jen - can I just tell you how much I censor myself! I have a horrific sense of humor and a potty mouth to boot. I know it would totally be misunderstood!

Indi - I'm not sure what's going on with your knee, I can only give you the advice that anyone would give you which is take it easy and listen to your body. If things don't improve see a doctor. I'm notorious for running on "injuries" and the majority of then resolve themselves, but I've bee battling a sprained ankle for close to 10 weeks now for that very reason, I didn't rest. It finally seems to be close to healed, but not quite. I'm also dealing with a knee issue, possibly runners knee, and it too is taking longer because I'm not resting. So long story short - learn from the idiots - rest if you need to and see a doctor if you're unsure or it isn't improving.

5 miles along Newport Bay this morning - oh it was amazing. I actually liked it better than the beach run. Last day of vaca today. I'm bummed and relieved, I'm looking forward to getting back to my eating routine and away from restaurant food. No way I'm going to step anywhere near the scale for a days!

Have a great Wednesday!

FatPantsSkinnyJeans
05-11-2011, 05:38 PM
Just did a little under 5 1/2 miles (without timing)...whew! It's so nice out, I couldn't help myself. It'll be cold again before I know it, so spending the time outside is worthwhile :)

Eruanna
05-12-2011, 02:15 AM
I'm back running after a few years ... half of the gyms in the city have closed after a couple of large earthquakes, including where I was going, so I've taken up running again. Am still in the every-step-is-a-struggle stage but I used to love it and I'm sure I will again. Did my first hill run last weekend for about 5 years ... still sore today lol

zetaphine
05-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Yesterday I received an email from Runner's Worls detailing a speed workout. I'm proud to say I was able to follow the plan and run 1.2 m.p.h. faster than my usual pace. I ran for three miles. Here are the details:

Progression run. "The idea is to gradually get to a level where you're really working," says Kastor. Do a 10-minute warmup jog at about 12-to 15-minutes-per-mile pace, depending on your ability. Then increase the speed by .1 or .2 miles per hour every minute for five to 10 minutes. Decrease the speed and jog or walk for one minute. Begin the next progression at the speed in which you ended the first phase. Again, increase by .1 to .2 mph every minute for five to 10 minutes. Jog for two minutes. Begin the final progression at the speed in which you ended the second phase. Cool down with a five-minute jog.

JenMusic
05-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Did the treadmill yesterday afternoon (heat+humidity+smog alert = no outside running) for 36 minute run, plus WU and CD.

My next run, on Saturday, will be in Central Park! :)

ncuneo - I know what you mean about the relief of being back in routine after vacation. I'm looking forward to next week, don't get me wrong, but it'll be a wee bit stressful not to have my routine to depend on.

Eruanna - Welcome! I'm basically a brand-new runner, so I'm pretty sure as you get in the swing of things you'll pick it back up in no time. :)

mkroyer
05-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Zetaphine-- do you do a lot of your runs on a treadmill? That sounded like a treadmill workout?
Its a form of a Tempo Run.. make sure you dont do more than one run like that a week, if you really feel like you pushed and it was difficult. Tempo/Threshold runs are the BEST way to increase speed though.
Ar eyou doing any interval training? what kind? if training for a halg, your best bet is gonig to be 800 to 1600 meter repeats (.5 mi to 1 mile) at a faster than normal for you pace (technically should be done at faster Than LActic Acid Threshold) with .5 to 1 mile recovery jog at normal pace ( Or GOAL HM pace). My point is that shorter intervals (like 200-400 meters) are much better for shorter distance training (5K-10K) where you run the intervals FAST in order to imporve your VO2Max, because with 5Ks serious runners should be running uncomfortably fast. However, during a half marathon you will never go anaerobic. Your most benefit will come from increasing your Lactic aciid threshold (which basically makes slower, half marathon paces more comfortable, because Lctic Acid never accumulates in your muscles), which a run like you just posted is designed to do
You will learn all this stuff if you decide to do that training program, otherwise, we are all here to help!)

mkroyer
05-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Ncueno-- you will understand this!

I am now considering NOT training to Qualify for the Boston marathon, because.......
After 2 full YEARS of having exercise/overtraining/undereating induced Ammenhorrea (no period) i GOT MY PERIOD BACK!!!! OUt of the blue, from nowhere, BAM! my period comes! i cant believe it!! I am so so HAPPY and excited. The doctors basically wrote me off, saying after this long, with all the things weve tried (progesterone, hormones, extended training breaks, refeed, etc) that i will never have my period again... never be able to have another baby.. at 30 i was diagnose as menopausal.
Sooooo..... im afraid the intensity of training to Boston Qualify might upset this very delicate balance i have giong on....... i know how hard i train, and i dont want to lose it again.

zetaphine
05-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Zetaphine-- do you do a lot of your runs on a treadmill? That sounded like a treadmill workout?
Tempo/Threshold runs are the BEST way to increase speed though.
Ar eyou doing any interval training? what kind? we are all here to help!)

Yes, i was on a treadmill. Last night was the first time I'd ever done what you refer to as a Temp Run. I normally run in minute intervals. I started with 4.2/4.7 and alternating every minute until I hit three miles. Now I'm up to 4.5/5.0. My goal is to finish the half marathon in under 3 hours. Am I training correctly?

ncuneo
05-12-2011, 10:24 PM
MK! I'm so happy to hear that! Just roll with it! Whatever you're doing right now is doing something right!

No run today, ST and Yoga. I'm busy busy busy after my 4 day vaca, playing catch up at work and whatnot. I'm feeling mentally and emotionally balanced right now and I'm just trying to ride it out, whatever I'm doing seems to be working for me as far as the food obsession and binging goes so even though it's not quite what I'm used to and I'm a little scared I'm just trying to go with it.

ncuneo
05-13-2011, 10:45 PM
Boring 3 miler on the dreadmill today although I'm enjoying the low milage while it lasts :) I think I have another couple weeks before the real increase starts in my training. I'm scheduled for 7 Sunday, but that's lower than my usual long runs and I keep telling myself to just do it and enjoy it because those super (well super to me) long runs will be here before I know it and I'll be begging for 7. I guess I'll just see how I'm feeling.

JenMusic
05-14-2011, 12:35 PM
Just got back from my Central Park run, ladies! I need to shower and head out the door, but it was GLORIOUS. I feel like I really accomplished something. The Jen I remember from a year ago could never have run for 40 minutes. :)

Actually, the fact that was kind of easy tells me I should probably start pushing myself so more. :lol: Uh oh!

claire0412
05-15-2011, 06:56 AM
Ah Jen, glad you had fun in Central Park! I went running there too, because you kind of have to! It was snowing when I was there though, but still was lovely!

I've just got back from a hobby race with the kids from school. They ran theirs first and we did our 4.75km one after. I used it to test my pace for a 5k I've got next week. Wasn't expecting much because I've had this quad injury and haven't been running for 2 1/2 weeks but thought I'd go all out anyway. I did it in 23:17, so bang on time for a sub 25min 5k! Yay! My quad really hurts now though, so I'll go back to swimming this week until next Sunday.

I'm trying to get as many times on my chip as I can before they operate on my feet (probably beginning of July). That's why I'm taking such a lax attitude towards my injuries, because I'll be having a forced 4 week feet elevated, on my arse doing nothing rest period anyway soon. Otherwise I wouldn't be so reckless.

Have a nice Sunday everyone :)

joyfulloser
05-15-2011, 10:24 AM
MKroyer - :congrat: on your good news! I too remember the problems you were having with that!;) I remember wishing I could give you my "period" as I no longer have any need for it and look forward to the day when it is gone FOREVER!!!!:D

K...left knee is getting better, as it has allowed me to run 16 miles this week so far. I have a scheduled 5 mile run today to make my goal of 21 miles/week. If I make it...this will be the first week in about 3 weeks that I have made my 21 mile goal. I bought a knee brace from Walmart that I run with. I don't stretch my left knee too much and both these things seem to have helped alot.

Feels great to have my "running mojo" back again! Running is my PROZAC!:carrot:

ncuneo
05-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Missed my long run because we were having a hurricane here today. Ok not really, but it was ridiculously windy and with my allergies and head cold I feel coming on I just wasn't feeling it. It was a training run, but it's only week 2 and it was lower that my usual long runs so I just decided to enjoy a break. I also tweaked my hammy doing lunges Thursday and it hurt pretty bad during Fridays run so...a little rest may be in order.

Speaking of menstral issues, my last two cycles have sucked! My last one was uber long and this one is shaping up to beat it. I think I'm ovulating now and it's really uncomfortable, if I hadn't experienced similar uncomfortabilty last month I'd swear I was pregnant. Anyway, sorry about the tangent:)

So training really kicks in next week and I'm excited. I'm ready to shed this extra couple lbs I've put on and get back to eating for fitness for a while. I've been a little of the reservation lately and it's time to get back to basics.

ncuneo
05-17-2011, 08:46 PM
3 yesterday, 6 tomorrow - 6 on a weekday - ugh! Not really, I'm excited. I usually never run more than 5 on a weekday though, so this training schedule is going to be a slight challenge for me. I'll have mid length runs on Wednesdays that range from 6-8 miles. So I'm debating on the recovery drink after those. I've always had a take it or leave attitude about the recovery drinks, I've never have been given a compelling arguement to waste good earned cals on those. But there's a 3 hour gap between my run and breakfast...so we'll see I guess. I do them sometimes after long runs when I'm feeling particularly wiped or extra hungry when I get back.

Been quiet around here lately, hope everyone is doing well!

ETA: Just yoga and ST today. Starting *another* new ST program. I opted out of phase 3 of NROL for Abs, just wasn't feeling it and am trying the Venus Index starting today. I need a structured ST program, winging at the gym just doesn't do it for me.

FatPantsSkinnyJeans
05-17-2011, 10:56 PM
Hey everyone!

So, my tally for the week so far is 8.5 miles. Planning to tack on another 3 or so on Thursday, with strength training in between.

My 1/2 Marathon (novice) Training Program officially kicks off next week... here's to a summer of hard work, quick feet, and plenty of sunshine :)

ncuneo, I've been reading all of your posts. You're teaching me and keeping me on track! Which reminds me, if you have any thoughts in regards to speed work/intervals, with the goal of increasing my speed, feel free to share. I ultimately chose to repeat my first 2 weeks on the schedule because I want some time to learn how to do these workouts that will hopefully make me faster and stronger!

Thanks, and hope everyone is having a great week so far :)

aimeebell
05-17-2011, 11:26 PM
I did nearly all of my running on the treadmill until the past two weeks when I began consistently running outside. Today, I ran on the treadmill. What a chore, what a bore. It felt so much more difficult, yet my pace is slower on the treadmill than it is outside. Tired of this gloomy, cold, wet weather.

aimeebell
05-17-2011, 11:30 PM
Just got back from my Central Park run, ladies! I need to shower and head out the door, but it was GLORIOUS. I feel like I really accomplished something. The Jen I remember from a year ago could never have run for 40 minutes. :)

Actually, the fact that was kind of easy tells me I should probably start pushing myself so more. :lol: Uh oh!

Awesome!! Check mark for the bucket list!

I told my runner brother-in-law that I love running outside because I hardly break a sweat compared to dripping sweat on the treadmill. He laughed and said if I am not sweating, I need to push myself more. Oh....I thought it was the nice cool breeze keeping me from sweating. LOL

mkroyer
05-18-2011, 11:09 AM
all, sorry for being absent
im in North Dakota living on an Oil Rig for the Week... i have however, still been running everyday,and wholley crap! there's OXYGEN here!! compared to running at 6000 to 10,000ft, and i can breath and run forever lol

speed work for half marathon training....... this is your first? everyone will tell you to concentrrate on just being able to complete the distance. do you have a goal pace? you must be realistic as well..... fir distance training your best speed work is going to come in the form of repeats at longer distances. 1 KM repreats,or 1 mile repeeats, or even 800 m...... the longer the repeat the slower it is, but they should all be done quickly, in YOUR CASE. start with 4X 800 meter with Recovery AT YOUR GOAL PACE (a 10minutemile? a 9 min mile?) at this point your 1/2 marathon pace is probably your onlypace? am i correct? Thats not an insult, its just with new(er) runners they really only have one pace, whatever they naturally run. I would do 800 m repeats at faster than 10K pace for you, or close to threshold.... basically, uncomfortably fast, ut not UNGODLY fast. You should be able to complete them....... then recover 400 to 800 meters at your goal pace.... this will teach your legs your goal pace, even when they are fatigued they will naturally strt falling into that pace... its also a great way to increase your base speed..... the longer youve been training as a runner, the more fine tuned your paces will be. You will develope different paces for diferent races. for ex: my "current" marathon pace is a 9 min mile (working on making it an 8:17) and my half mary pace is at and 8 min mile, and my 10K pace is a 7:15-to 7:30, which happens to be my threshold. I dont know my 5 kpace..... i always assume a sub 7........ the other form ofspeedwork is doing lactic acid threshold runs, or temporuns... these are hard, but you realllyNEED to know your numbers to do them correctly.
Warm up, the run .5 miles (400 meters) at FASTER than 5K pace... so this will be pretty mush AS FAST AS you can run a quarter mile, but NOT a sprint, then immediately downshift to your threshold, or 10K pace for a half mile (800 M) without resting in between..... after that, downshift to GOALhalf maathon pace without a rest..... this siimulates the fatigue you will be feeling in the later stages of the race, but while still maintaining the pace you want.... if you actually hit the right paces before hand, like threshold, then it will teach your body not ONLY to tolerate and continue to operate as LActic acid builds up,but will also teach your body how to process out the lactic acid faster, so it doesnt accumulate, THUS raising your threshold. Repeat the whole thing 3-6 times, depending on you.
this is the best way to increase speed, AND train to run the disance. Cardiovascularly you are in good enough condition to do it now i am sure..... so VO2Max workouts arent going to be as beneficial to you (short, fast intervals)

ncuneo
05-18-2011, 11:22 AM
Fatpants-Speed is out of my expertise. I'm still working om distance mostly. I do know that speed work can be quite challenging. There are plenty of good programs to train with, Hal Higdon comes to mind. I always have had to do any speed work on a treadmil. For some reason I'm really slow on the road (10:00-10:30), but on a treadmill I can comfortably do 8-9 sometimes 7 if I'm really pushing, but not for very long. Hopefully MK will chime in, she's pretty knowledgeable on speed.

6 miles went well this morning, even with the head cold and ear infection I've developed. I was considering flipping today and Fridays run since Fridays is only 3, but I was feeling good and just went with it. Now I'm hungry! Trying to hold out for breakfast though, I have plenty of cals planned for today knowing I was going to run 6 and my jeans feel snug so...no extras for me today! Relosing an extra few after maintentaing for 9 months sucks, I don't recommend it, but I think it might be a maintenance right of passage.

ETA: hey look at that, MK and I were simuposting!

ncuneo
05-19-2011, 08:23 PM
ST and yoga today. I'm looking forward to it, but not because I'm ridulously sore from the new ST program I started Tuesday. 3-4 miles planned for tomorrow, nice and easy.

Hope everyone is well.

FatPantsSkinnyJeans
05-19-2011, 09:00 PM
MkRoyer, thank you so much for that post! I understand the concept, and you're pretty much right-- If I'm just running for fun at a comfortable speed, it's around a 10:15-10:30, and if I am trying to be speedy, 10 minute miles (which was my 8K pace, I finished in 50:18). So, I sort of feel like since I've got all this time to prepare, I can incorporate some work geared toward a better pace.

I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Sounds good, ncuneo! I kinda miss yoga...

aimeebell
05-20-2011, 10:30 AM
For some reason I'm really slow on the road (10:00-10:30), but on a treadmill I can comfortably do 8-9 sometimes 7 if I'm really pushing, but not for very long.

I am the opposite. On the road, I run about a 10 to 10:30 mm, but on the treadmill I run a 12 mm and it feels 100x harder than running outside, AND I did almost all of my running inside until it got nicer out.

aimeebell
05-20-2011, 10:35 AM
I ran my farthest distance so far, 4.3 miles. It was one of those days where my heart, lungs, and legs were all cooperating and I felt like I could run forever, but I ran out of time. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to why some days 2 miles feels like every step is a chore, and why some days I feel like I can fly. I thought it had to do with fuel, seemed my evening runs were better after a day's worth of food, but this run was done on just a cup of coffee, so there goes that theory.

mkroyer
05-20-2011, 10:48 AM
Ncueno-- what new strength training program are you doing?
FPSK- oure welcome for the speed training info. If you have any questions about what specific paces you should be trying to hit for any distances just let me know... i can help you figure it out

WEll, im leaving the Oil rig today... The well is finally reached total depth. Im eager to get home, but i have a 12 hour drive in front of me...ugh!! and i still cant leave!! it will prob be a couple/few more hours.......... looking at getting home realistically around midnight. YUK. i really wwant to go for a quick run to burn off some energy since ill be stuck in a car on my butt all day... Its starting to rain here though, and its windy and chilly..... all 3 equal a bad combination

ncuneo
05-20-2011, 01:49 PM
I'm doing the Venus Index, it's women specific and I've only done 2 workouts, but it was quite a challenge. So much so my easy 3 miler was a kick in the pants this morning. I'm sure lack of sleep and being sick was more the reason, but OMG I wanted to die! Nothing sucks more then a hard short run. Oh well. I'm exhausted today and just feeling a bit blah...luckily tomorrow's a rest day.

indiblue
05-20-2011, 10:35 PM
Have continued my running hiatus in an attempt to allow my knee time to heal. I read a bit more about runners knee and ITB (I already know I have ITB problems and have a foam roller that I really need to use more often) and am working on quad strengtheners to provide my knee more support.

I may try to go for a run (on a treadmill, it's now 105 degrees where I live) and see what happens. I bought NEW SHOES (Saucony ProGrid!) and am dying to try them so fingers crossed!!

HMM3
05-20-2011, 11:59 PM
Can I join you here? I've finally decided to get back into jogging. I've been trying other stuff exercise wise but I really miss the simplicity of jogging ... just get on your shoes and leave from home (or whereever you are) anytime ....

Did a 5k event the week before last and I'm trying to build up a little more distance each week .... this morning I did 7.5 km .... (it was a nice crisp frosty morning here)... nothing could make you feel "cleaner') ..

Just being nosy .... Mkroyer .... what do you do on an oil rig? .... sounds exciting ....

I'd love to build up to doing a half-marathon again ... good luck to those training for the half and beyond .... maybe i'll join you when I work up some endurance ...

I usually do the treadmill during the week at the 24 hour gym (I go about 10pm to fit in with my husbands schedule) and a long run outside in the weekend ... I go faster outside and can go much further .... but i'm grateful I can still fit in the run ....

claire0412
05-21-2011, 04:46 PM
indiblue Yay for new shoes! I have some too and I've only run in them once so far..!

I have my last race of the season tomorrow, a women's only 5k. I've managed to get in the first start block (which i think is pretty funny because I am aiming at around 25mins, which is good but not top start block worthy) so hopefully I'l come in at under 25mins and finish the season on a high!

I am scheduled for a foot operation on 31st May, so this is likely to be my last run for four months while my foot heals. I haven't done any training for weeks, but did a 4.75km race last weekend. It took 2 days for my foot/leg to recover from that though, so surgery is definitely the right decision. Still sucks that I won't be able to run properly until September or October though, and I can't even swim for 2 months. I better not get fatter to add insult to injury :(

I'll still read this thread to torture myself though :)

rawbanana
05-22-2011, 10:26 PM
New here! Can I join in? I am a big time 'running lover' =)
Been running for just over 10months and have run a handful of 5K's (PR of 25:36 on a slightly short but SUPER hilly course in April) and my first 1/2 this month (2:08:45). I am hoping to run another 5K or 2 this summer and a 10K as well. I am going to run my 2nd 1/2 in Sept with my hubby =)
I ran an easy 7 miles this morning as my long run for last week (my running weeks are Mon-Sun), then I will run an easy 4-5 on Tuesday and a tempo on Thursday and hopefully a couple recovery pace miles on Fri (going to work on running 4x a week from 3x a week)
You all are doing great!

claire0412
05-23-2011, 07:19 AM
Hi rawbanana I can recommend running with your partner! I ran my second half with my boyfriend and he kicked my arse the whole way round. I would have defo slowed down if he wasn't there...

Yesterday I had my last 'race' (if you can call it that) of the season (once again, Jan-May - season?!) and got a PB for 5k! So I am finishing this year off on a high :) Just as well because all my stabilisation muscles (outside of quad, knee) absolutely KILL today from where I roll outwards to avoid putting weight on my painful bunion. Surgery in a week so fingers crossed that'll sort out the problem.

So my PBs for this year were:

5k - 24:35
Half marathon - 2:07:46

My goals for next year are:
5k 0 23:something (under 24mins)
10k under 52mins
Half under 2 hours.

I'm planning to do my races pyramid style starting with 5k--> 10k --> half in April --> 10k ---> 5k and have the summer as a cross training rest period (I hate summer running). Realistically I think i could do a 5k in November but won't expect PBs because I won't have time to do much training before.

Enjoy the rest of the running season everyone, good luck with your races and keep at it! I'll read this thread anyway because I find it motivational :)

twinmommaplusone
05-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Hello, been about 2 months so I popped by, It was hard with school to keep up with all the places that I recorded my running, lol. Yikes.

Ok so far this year I'm at 567 miles ran.....

My First Full Marathon is this Sunday! Wow two 20 mile training runs and lots of weekly running (about 30-40 miles weekly) I am so excited to run this!

ncuneo
05-23-2011, 11:48 AM
Oh my goodness twinmama! Congrats and good luck! I came so close to registering for the Malibu marathon this weekend, but the date just didn't work for me. It would require a lot of running in 100+ degree weather and I'm just not confident I'd enjoy that. I also want more time to be sure I'm ready to do this.

Twinmama, did your training peak at 20 miles? How do you feel about that. I've been trying to find the right training program for me and I don't think I'd be comfortable peaking at 20 miles knowing there would be 6.2 to go!

Rawbanana welcome!

I'm just plugging along. This chest cold/flu thing is kicking my a$$ but I'm hanging in there. 8 yesterday and 3 this morning. I'm really trying to enjoy this time because this training program is going to a challenge for me in a weekly and long run milage respect.

Hope everyone is well!

mkroyer
05-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Ncueno-- peaking at 20 is more than fine... the problem is most beginner programs only have you do ONE 20 miler, which leaves you VERY unprepared, and terrified LOL! in my opinion........ try to do 3 20 milers. Each will get exponentially easier than the previous one, and by the marathon, it will feel like a cake walk. i SWEAR...... no reason to go MORE than 20, because the recovery period would take so long, youd lose a lot of traiing...

freedomreins
05-23-2011, 03:30 PM
Hi guys, I am pretty new to running! I have a question for you seasoned pros!

I am just about to start week 5 of the C25k but I find that in the last week my ankles have been bothering me. This didn't happen in weeks 1-3, only in week 4, and right at the start of my run too, like the first three minutes or so. Then it goes away. Is there a specific stretch I can do to warm up my ankles and stop from them hurting? It doesn't really affect my stride but it's uncomfortable for a few minutes, that's for sure. I also don't want to be in danger of doing any damage to them if I keep running the way I have been.

Oh, I have one more question - I'd really like to get in the habit of running in the morning before work, but I did this once last week, having not eaten since about 7pm the night before (and running at 7am), and by the end I was slightly light-headed/had a headache and was absolutely ravenous. I don't think it's that unusual to work out prior to eating breakfast so I don't know how to overcome this. I know from attempting it before that I cannot eat anything before I run and I do much better eating about 2 hours beforehand but get cramps if I eat about 45 minutes before. Will I eventually get used to this or am I going to have to set my alarm for 5am to eat breakfast and then go back to bed?!

Thanks for your help! :) You're all certainly an inspiration!

ncuneo
05-23-2011, 08:53 PM
MK, do you have any programs that you would recommend. I think utimately the program I choose will determine if I actually go for it or not. I'm having a little bit of a hard time knowing that I will need to be running 30 or more miles a week for serval week. I think if I found a program that I felt confident about I'd be more confident in doing one. I thought I had one, but it peaks with 1-20 miler. I found another that peaked at 26 I think, but it was dumb because all the other runs were 30 mins. I think that one was more for people who didn't care if they walked a good portion. I'm not opposed to walking a water stations, but in general the second I start walking I'm done.

FatPantsSkinnyJeans
05-24-2011, 11:16 AM
*Whew!* 1/2 Marathon training run #1: done!

Just got in from my first "interval" style 3-miler. Every other block, I would alternate between a "recovery" pace and a somewhat accelerated, (but not ridiculous) vigorous pace. I didn't push too hard, and I feel good!

mkroyer
05-24-2011, 01:25 PM
This is Hal Higdons Intermediate 1 marathon schedule. Of course google it so you can see it better.

http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/inter1.html

I would sub the ONE 18 miler at wk 10 with your first 20 miler. Believe me..... 3 miles WONT be a big jump at that point-- BUT IT WILL SUCK (the first 20 miler) Hal Higsdon does not build in speed workouts to this schedule, but you can easily tweak one of the tues or thursday runs to be track work, or tempo work or whatever.
IN MY OPINION-- i would change the MID WEEK Mid-length run to a Lactic ACid Threshold Run.... even when you are getting up to 8 or 10 miles for the mid length run.... you will reap SO MANY benefits..... you wont have to worry about track workouts

Week Mon Tue Wed Thur Fri Sat Sun
1 cross 3 m run 5 m run 3 m run rest 5 m pace 8
2 cross 3 m run 5 m run 3 m run rest 5 m run 9
3 c ross 3 m run 5 m run 3 m run rest 5 m pace 6
4 cross 3 m run 6 m run 3 m run rest 6 m pace 11
5 cross 3 m run 6 m run 3 m run rest 6 m run 12

6 cross 3 m run 5 m run 3 m run rest 6 m pace 9
7 cross 4 m run 7 m run 4 m run rest 7 m pace 14
8 cross 4 m run 7 m run 4 m run rest 7 m run 15
9 cross 4 m run 5 m run 4 m run rest 7 m pace 11
10 cross 4 m run 8 m run 4 m run rest 8 m pace 17
11 cross 5 m run 8 m run 5 m run rest 8 m run 18
12 cross 5 m run 5 m run 5 m run rest 8 m pace 13
13 cross 5 m run 8 m run 5 m run rest 5 m pace 20
14 cross 5 m run 5 m run 5 m run rest 8 m run 12
15 c ross 5 m run 8 m run 5 m run rest 5 m pace 20
16 cross 5 m run 6 m run 5 m run rest 4 m pace 12
17 cross 4 m run 5 m run 4 m run rest 3 m run 8
18 cross 3 m run 4 m run rest rest 2 m run race

this is just a good, basic blue print.... i would keep the FORMAT of the schedule, but tweak a few things, ya know? you can make some of those 5 milers into 6 milers, and i would also make at least a couple of the 8 milers into 10-13 miles..... personally..........

aimeebell
05-24-2011, 01:55 PM
Today's run was not fun. I wish I could figure out a pattern to why some days are awesome, some days are fine, and then there are days like today that just feel miserable every stop of the way. I started out with a pain in my right lower back, slowed down, and the pain let up, but I just couldn't seem to get my feet going any faster and I wanted to go faster cause I wanted to be DONE! LOL Ahhhh well, at least I finished what I set out to do.

river
05-24-2011, 08:05 PM
I wasn't able to compete in the half I was planning to do. :( I got sick 3 weeks before the race and couldn't properly continue to train because of coughing. I am trying not to wallow too much about it.

I was able to run the race course during training and for a day that I wasn't pushing my pace, I did ok, 2:14. And the organizers let me forward my race fees to next year, which was fantastic.

My cold is gone and my cough is mostly better now, but my knee (pes anserinus) bursitis is inflamed. Probably because I jumped my long run from 16 to 21km in a week. Stupid, I know. But I felt good and I was on the race course so I went for it. I think I was already really starting to get sick when I did that. I've tried 2 runs in the past 2 weeks and both times I had to abort within 3 miles and my knee swelled up badly.

I'm icing and doing alternating days of strength training and yoga. In the meantime, I'm still getting on the trails by walking my dogs and using the opportunity to really get comfy in my vibram five fingers.

ncuneo
05-24-2011, 10:20 PM
MK! You are the best! That was actually the exact program I've been looking at, but with your suggestions this could really work.

No run today, ST and yoga day.

indiblue
05-28-2011, 10:18 AM
aimeebell I totally hear you! I have no idea why some runs are so much easier than others. I have literally had days where I really can't get myself to run more than 15 minutes.

river I've been having knee pain too. Where is the location of the pain for bursitis? Mine is on the outside of the knee. I saw a trainer informally and talked to a former high school x-country coach and have since been following a regimen of strength training for my quads and icing. It's gotten better- the pain is now mild enough that I can rough through it (just 5k) and I don't experience a lot of pain afterwards like I was (mainly after sitting down for a while and standing up, or going down stairs).

FPSJ Congrats on the training!!

FatPantsSkinnyJeans
05-28-2011, 10:39 AM
I had a deathly boring and lackluster little 3 miler on the treadmill yesterday after my upper body strength class. Despite my lack of energy and just wanting it to end, I managed to finish in under 30 mins, which is pretty good for me and my short, slow legs. I'll take it!

4 miler tomorrow....

ncuneo
05-29-2011, 01:20 AM
Twinmama good luck tomorrow!!!

9 miles for me tomorrow - I need it! It's been a rough few days and I need to do some damage to the pavement. TOM arrived this morning so that will add and element of fun to tomorrow run!

FatPantsSkinnyJeans
05-30-2011, 09:46 AM
Had a solid 4 mile run yesterday, after patiently waiting for the thunderstorms to pass. So far so good!

indiblue
05-30-2011, 10:00 AM
Ok, so I don't have much pain in my right knee anymore, but I do now have POPPING. (More of a pop/crack, but not Rice Krispies). Something is definitely sliding/moving.

I've been ramping up my ST with a heavy focus on my quads. I've also been pretty good with an ice/ibuprofen regimen. I'm continuing with rolling out my ITB, which tends to be tight and sore. Hopefully this will help.

I did buy an inexpensive knee brace- a sleeve, with a closed patella. I have no experience with knee braces though. Is this a good idea? Worth a shot?

Thanks to everyone who puts up with my constant "help! my knee!" posts!

also ncuneo, you made a comment about being impressed with my yoga the other day; just want to let you know the feeling is mutual with regard to your running. I would love, love someday to be able to casually say I ran 9 miles easy cheesy!

ncuneo
05-30-2011, 12:11 PM
also ncuneo, you made a comment about being impressed with my yoga the other day; just want to let you know the feeling is mutual with regard to your running. I would love, love someday to be able to casually say I ran 9 miles easy cheesy!

Thank you! With time I think we'll both improve. It's taken me about a year and half to get where I am with my running. January of last year I was barely able to run 1 mile. I think yoga will take a little more practice for me, espeically since I only go 2xs a week and it's at gym and not a studio. I wish I had the funds to go to a studio and the time to go more often - I love it!

Yesterday's 9 was really good, even with TOM. Unfortunately last night I got food poisoning or the stomach flu or something at 1 am so I skipped my 3 mile recovery this morning. I'm feeling much better now, and debating on whether or not I want to go into the office today. It's technically a holiday, but I'm so swamped! But I'd rather be lazy and recover from whatever that was. Man I hate being sick.

I think I'll sprinkle the 3 miles I was supposed to run today throughout the week, probably on T and Th, usually non running days. I get really OCD when I'm training about hitting my slotted milage for the week even though I know doing a 1.5 on T and Th isn't really doing anything for my training. Oh well!

ncuneo
05-30-2011, 12:17 PM
Oh BTW MK. I was wrong, it wasn't the intermediate program I was looking at it was the Novice program. I'm a 4x a week runner, it's pretty tough for me to get in a 5th run. Also the intermediate program looks pretty overwhelming for me, but the Novice looks pretty doable to me right now. So I was looking at extending either of the Novice programs by 2 weeks and adding another 20 or 22-24 miler w/ another cut back week. Being that it would be my first marathon I'm just looking to finish with the least amount of walking possible. Maybe just walk at water stations. But as you know I'm a rookie so I may be totally out of my league.

joyfulloser
05-31-2011, 07:24 PM
Ran 5.4 miles today! First day back after 2 week hiatus from running...LOVE IT!:D

FatPantsSkinnyJeans
06-01-2011, 08:36 AM
WTG, Joyful! Ncuneo, sounds like a solid plan to me.

Yesterday was 3 miles... but 3 miles + sunburn + 80 degrees/hot/humid = unhappy FPSJ.

Let's just say, it involved a lot of aloe...