Diabetes Support - *** May *** Chat

View Full Version : *** May *** Chat

pattygirl63
05-01-2011, 03:57 AM
A quick one here just to say hi and everything is going very well here. Blood sugar and weigh went up at first when I started eating whole grain carbs, but I'm happy to say that my FBS is back down and the weight is starting to come back down. I'm really enjoying my new food plan and starting to feel good too.

Have a nice Sunday.

Ruthxxx
05-01-2011, 07:49 AM
Good morning and happy May 1st. We have sunshine again so I feel like dancing around the maypole.

Did not meet my weightloss goal for April - three pounds down instead of five. I looked back at the calendar and realized why. I was out for dinner 1/3 of the time and, although I ate carefully, sipping wine did me in. This month will be better. This month I will write down everything I eat each day which should make me more mindful. I also am back at regular gym sessions and will try to get out for more walks.

So ... on we go!

Riemontana
05-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Good Morning and happy May Day!

fbs was 81 this morning so I ate half a banana before I worked out. I made it through my hardest low impact routine for 61 minutes this morning - Yay, a first.

I did my little pamper/self care routine this morning. I did a facial mask. I took a really luxurious, exfoliating shower (unlike the quick scrub I do daily) using nice body wash and a loofa. Deep condition hair. Foot care with coconut oil and full body lotion slathered on my still wet skin. I used my good overnight moisturizer on my face and neck, combed out my hair and I feel lovely!

Patty that sounds great. I know that I had trouble learning that some carbs work better for me than others. Ironically, I was having lots of trouble with bs control when I was trying to avoid all carbs. I am glad that you are enjoying your new plan.

Ruth, at least you lost some weight even though you might not have achieved your April goal. I am still keeping a food/blood sugar diary. It helps me to be accountable to myself and stops me from the denial of whether I am keeping on a good eating plan.

Have a great day ladies!

fatmad
05-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Did really well with the partying last night, not only did I eat ok, but I avoided alcohol, and so slept well and didn't wake up until 1030 am! Much better than usual, its not a hung over feeling, but I don't sleep well when I drink, and avoiding it was worth it so I could sleep. Tonight is supper out again with older DD in Toronto, before we go to a movie. Tomorrow is a busy day with a work meeting at am, lots of regular work and must remember to vote, and without being partisan, I must say this is gearing up to be the most interesting election in a long while, no matter what your politics!
Happy May Day everyone.

pattygirl63
05-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Happy May Day to everyone. Sounds like we all met the end of April and the start of May very well even if we did rocky times along the way.

Ruth I agree with Riemontana you didn't have a gain. Writing things down will give you more mindful control.

Mad I've been taking melatonin as doc recommeneded. I tried taking Valerian Root, because I read about it in either Dr. Amen's book or Dr. Hyman's stuff on line. Something about seritonin and weight. The Valerian Root upsets my stomach so decided to try St. John's Wort and it works great. I still don't always get 8 hrs sleep, but I do seem to get a very good 6or 7 hrs of quality sleep. Enjoy being with older DD.

Riemontana Sounds like you had a WONDERFUL time pampering yourself. We need and deserve those times.

I thought that I would share the way I am eating now. I didn't want to say anything until I knew it could or would work since I've tried so many different thing. But I believe I have finally found the way of eating for me. I am not counting calories or carbs any more although the plan I'm following does have the calorie count planned in it for you if you follow the phases... phase 1 is 1200 cals and phase 2 is 1600 cals. I'm not following a phase either. I like Intuitive Eating because I like the idea of eating only when hungry and eating what I want, enjoy each bite and stop when satisfied or you start to feel full. Also I need and desire to get away from focusing on food as I feel like all I'm thinking about for years now is food, food, food... and I like things that easy and simple to eat and follow. I had been seeing the book CarbLovers Diet at Walmart and wouldn't buy it since I'm so low carb minded. However after going to the their webite and seeing somethings that looked like some things my doc had mentioned to me and that I had seen in the doc's office, I went to the bookstore and bought the book. I use the guidelines mostly of the CarbLovers diet combined with a lot of what I've learned about foods like greens that help lower bs. I am pleased to say this is working great for me. As expected, I gained weight... about 9 lbs when I first re-introduced the carbs. The book says you should lose up to 6 lbs the first week. Although I'm not following the calorie counting plan itself, but using it for guidance I am happy that I have lost 4 of those 9 lbs since I started this about 5 days ago. And like I said, my FBS has become steady below 120 mg/dl for the past 3 or 4 days. It was 112 this morning and my BP is steady and normal as well. Since I usually lose weight very slowly, I am very pleased with the results so far... even if I don't lose the 6 lbs. Another promise is that I won't be hungry and will feel satisfied longer and so far that has been the case and see no reason why it should change. For one thing there are no forbidden foods however there are important foods to eat which are called Resistant Starch foods that go straight through the digestive system keeping me very regular which has always been a problem for me most of my life. So I am very pleased to have finally found a woe of eating that will be a way of lifestyle for me. It is amazing to me that this is so much like one of the ways my doctor had suggested I could eat if I liked, but it didn't have all the explanations for why and how it works that I got in the book.

Thank y'all for patiently going through this journey with me. I expect my next doctor's visit in July to be much better than my last now that I've found what works for me.

Planning a trip back to TX to see family this month and I've already got a plan in the making of how I can stay OP while traveling and when eating in restaurants with family. Such a great feeling to feel in control.

Y'all have a great day.

Riemontana
05-01-2011, 07:56 PM
Fatmad - good for you! It sounds like you did great, and while traveling. I wish I could enjoy a good night sleep like that. I really only get about 7 hours and I have been that way all my life.

Trish, it sound like you have found a plan that can become a lifestyle for you. I think that is what it is all about.

I am going to be on an 8 day trip to vegas soon for national championships. I need some help in deciding what kind of meal replacement bars or shakes I can take with me. Any ideas?

Have a lovely evening.

Riemontana
05-02-2011, 10:30 AM
Morning!

Just a quick swing by to say hello and stay accountable. fbs a very nice 87 this morning. At that number I can work out without a snack first.

I did 8300 steps on the Walk it out and burned a respectable 271 cals. I really enjoy that game. It isn't as rigorous as my aerobics but I can get going on tough mornings and marching in place doesn't bother my knee as much as walking outside. But, now that the weather is better I plan to get going on a walking plan.

Have a great day!

fatmad
05-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Hi everyone, its late and I'm tired, so won't stay long. I am so happy to read about everyone, even if I can't always take time to respond to each post, I am inspired. If I don't visit, its hard for me to stay on plan and stay focused, so even writing about struggles or successes, I am inspired by each of you.
Stayed on plan today, and remembered to exercise my right to vote, (won't say for whom) and am grateful to be able to do that.
Have a good week.

fatmad
05-03-2011, 09:18 PM
have been back onto low carb for a couple of days, weight is stable, feeling more energy, and bloating is down. Sugars are fine.
I decided to go off the metformin for a couple of days with this, so am being very careful about carbs.
I have still been struggling with the heel pain, it is better/bearable with the orthotics, but not gone. I wondered if this was a variation of the leg pain I used to get. but the pain isn't gone, so not thinking the metformin was the issue, so am going back on it again.
Have been making food to pack for tomorrow, I have an all day meeting in Toronto, and the lunch provided will include salad, but will be carby otherwise. So yes, I am wisely packing lunch. planning planning planning.
Am also taking my knitting for a change, its time to start that again.
hope everyone doing well.

Riemontana
05-03-2011, 10:36 PM
Fatmad I hope your heel pain gets better. I am glad to hear that your sugars are good even without the meds.

I am with you on the need for planning. I really have to think about what I will eat in a way that I never did prior to diagnosis. All in all, it is probably a good thing.

My fbs has been good but it is up into the low 90's. I am convinced that it is the stress I am under but hopefully that will resolve itself.

Take care all, until tomorrow.

Ruthxxx
05-04-2011, 06:07 AM
Carbs have crept up a bit. When I'm busy, that seems to happen a lot. Weight is up a pound but (TMI) Fibre1 and blueberries will fix that. The FBGL is down to an acceptable 5.0 so something is working.

Saw my Doctor Bob at the shower on Sunday and he noticed my weightloss. :) He is giving me a three month supply of Victoza from his samples and is working to get the provincial health plan to cover it. Right now it costs over $200 per month so that would be great.

Early meeting tonight so I must get dinner made ahead. I am taking my Bacardi rum cake and need to be strong. I may make a clam chowder with limited potato. It always makes me feel quite satisfied. I can avoid my cake if I don't eat even a single crumb as I slice it.

Planning is key!

fatmad
05-04-2011, 07:57 AM
well, the problem with planning, is that it takes planning :p

I don't enjoy the planning part, and it sabotages me, it is likely part of the weight gain that happens over the years. I realize now that "treats" were a regular part of my diet, not "treats" at all. And if I don't plan and watch what I eat, I have treats, and soon am off plan.

My morning started out tired. I had a client who thought she would go into labour last night, so I stayed on call, and she did deliver beautifully but not until 230 am. Got home at 330, as my partner stayed with her, so only got 2 hours of sleep before getting up to catch my train. The ticket agent where I bought my train ticket didn't tell me about the constuction, and I wasnt able to park legally, so my husband, who isn't feeling well has to drive into town and rescue my car. Getting home my be a problem. Dealing with difficulties when I am so tired is really hard, and I have been on the verge of tears on the train, instead of relaxing and sleeping. I am slowly calming down, but sitting in a meeting all day isn't very appealing.
Glad I have my food with me, or I would just scarf down a danish at the nearest coffee shop.

hope everyone else has a better day.

Riemontana
05-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Fatmad I hope your meeting goes well and that you are able to get more rest tonight. Being tired plays havoc with everything!

Ruth - how great that your doctor noticed your progress and is trying to help you even more. A supportive Dr is a big part of being able to cope. Good luck at the dinner.

I have a stressful day today as I am in charge of an annual meeting of 14 local government entities. I am happy to be able to wear one of my new outfits and I hope it gives me a little more confidence. I won't be standing there and thinking that they are judging me for being so grossly obese.

Good luck with the day.

Ruthxxx
05-05-2011, 07:21 AM
Plugging along. I did not succeed in avoiding having a slice of my rum cake but BGL is OK this morning at 4.0. Now to get the darned scale to budge.

Today is a bit stressful with a dog going to the vet for dental work, payday for my Mill folks, the afternoon identifying and pricing plants for the Saturday garden club sale but I do have my food planned. I'm even going to cook salmon tonight. That's the plan anyhow. (I hope the salmon doesn't end up joining the other fish stashed in my freezer. I must make a huge fish chowder one of these days and invite the Village for lunch! ;) )

My PT and I worked together for an hour yesterday, I really want to get rid of my pot and waist pudge and have been wanting ab exercises. She was very up front and pointed out that the weight there was fat and developing the ab muscles would make everything bigger, not smaller. Her recommendation is extra cardio so my next house project is to get the treadmill room set up so I can watch TV while I use the darn thing. I've had the darned thing over three years and it has only 97 miles on it. "Driven by an old lady only on guilt days!" I have a TV and an extra DVD player so ... no excuses!

Happy Thursday!

fatmad
05-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Ruth, it is true, ab exercises will tighten up the muscles but not get rid of the pudge that is there. In fact, I know I read that doing planks, in the pilates kind of way where you are really working the core, is better for ab exercises than crunches and sit ups etc, and is easier on the back, and since you have back issues that is helpful. As for getting rid of the menopot. well mine is smaller with the weight loss, hope yours is budging will the weight going down.

Trish, tell us more about the carb resistance foods you are supposed to eat. That sounds interesting. And you have been able to stick to this for more than a day or two, and that is really promising for you. Glad for you. :carrot:

Yesterday's meeting was very productive, and the food at lunch had good variety, so I had my own dressing on the salad, (they always do good salads, so I didn't take greens, just dressing) and there was a fish dish not covered in starch, so I had that, and had the lunch I had packed as my supper on the train on the way home. DIdn't sleep great last night, but have slept, and will hope for a good night again tonight to get back to normal. Will also go to yoga, and the stretching will help me relax for sleep.

Montana, hope your meeting went well as well. a big hello to everyone else, and have a good day. We have lots of sunshine today, so I will get out to walk a bit too.

Riemontana
05-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Good morning all. My meeting went extremely well and I felt really confident in my new clothes. Lots of people noticed my weight loss which I think is good feedback because most of them only see me one time per year.

Fatmad, way to go on managing your food yesterday. Your experience shows and serves you well. I still struggle with those kind of days.

Ruth, I have the same pudge problem. I agree that the plank type excercises are supposed to be better for trimming the waist. There is the whole core strength issue that helps with posture and overall strength also. I try to look at it as getting stronger.

My upper abs are slimming and shaping nicely. I can pull in my muscles and see some results! My theory is that I am doing the core strenth because it is toning the muscles under the fat. Hopefully, as more fat melts away, my pudge will dissappear and I will find muscle under there. LOL

fbs was good last night at 87 and 91. I think that is ok since I have a bad cold and that always makes my sugars rise.

This morning I am going to the Mother's Tea for my 4yr gs. My son has full custody because his mom was abusive. She has unlimited supervised visits but has not seen or spoken to him in over 4 months. All the mother's day commercials and talk have him asking questions that I can't really answer to a 4 year old. I hope and pray that when he looks back and realizes that I was a substitute, he will think I was a good one. Today, in the way of children, he is simply happy that I am going to come to his school. Maybe there is a lesson in that.

Thanks for listening..... Have a lovely day.

Ruthxxx
05-06-2011, 08:02 AM
Fatmad, good going on the meeting food strategy. I hope you got a good night's sleep.

Montana, that is so very sad about your grandson and his absentee mother. In my opinion, the person who looks after you is your "mother" so I guess you are. It sounds as if he recognizes some of that.

Pattygirl, where the hoody-who are you? I need someone to call me Ruthie today.

BGL was 3.5 this morning. Haven't seen that in a while! Glugging some 5-Alive helped and I will have a proper breakfast before I hit the gym. (I've been going in a bit later to avoid some of the Chatty Cathies on the treadmills!)

Once again, I did not cook the darned fish! It's in the freezer. I just can't get my head around fish and probably should just stick for salmon oil capsules. Right now there's enough fish in the freezer to make a huge chowder and feed half the Village but I won't.

Happy Friday!

Riemontana
05-06-2011, 09:04 AM
Ruthie;) Thanks for the support. What kind of fish / how are you thinking of cooking it? I LOVE baked tillapia and salmon.

I am at 86 this morning but I am not working out because this head cold is seriously kicking my rear end!

I plan to eat lightly, rest and do a little work today. I will check in later.I hope that everyone has a good day.

fatmad
05-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Well, Ruthie, if you don't really like fish, you can't make it so. I like it on the grill, as none of us likes the lingering odours in the house. So do it this summer, and in the mean time, stop buying it!

Montana, I am willing to bet that there will be a variety of different "mothers" at this event. With the mix of families that we have now, your grandson won't be the only one with a special Mother in his life. In the end, the loving motherly person will do him just fine. What's important is that he remembers being loved. I hope his birth mother won't confuse him but will keep in some contact.
ON another note, got to yoga last night, had a full night of sleep, but am getting off to a slow start this am, still sluggish, and had too many carbs yesterday. Weight is up a bit, I know mostly water from the extra carbs, but my whole being is sluggish. Bs this am was an acceptable 5.4, so no worries there.
Its dull and rainy here, but did get out with the dog a bit, maybe yoga tonight if things are quiet.
have a good day everyone

pattygirl63
05-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Hi Everyone,

Sorry I've been MIA. Couldn't believe that I hadn't been here since May 1st. I've really been trying to get this new way of eating organized so I can get to losing weight again.

Fatmad You are right about planning. I tried just eating Intuitively which I believe I still can do eventually, but I realize that #1 I'm learning to eat differently because I need to get fiber in my diet and Resistant Starch is new to me and #2 it is really true that we don't really realize what normal portions are. To answer your question about Resistant Starch foods, I made a copy of the list of Top Resistant Starches and marked off the higher ones that DH and I could or would eat. (Tony has IBS and I'm sure I do too so we both need to make these changes in our eating.) The book says you need at least 10 to 15 grams of RS a day. And it doesn't really take special expensive foods like a lot of diets. I now eat rolled oats oatmeal which can be cooked normally, but I toast it and add 1/2 oz slivered almonds, a green banana which is the food that has the most grams of RS and then add Fiber 1 yogurt. That way I get 17.1 grams of RS which is a little more than minimum recommendation just for breakfast. Today I'm cooking white/great northern beans (only beans DH really like... he is such a picky eater:dizzy:) for our main meal. I can have corn polenta, but not sure I would like that so I'll make cornbread with flaxseed added to it and get more fiber. My supper will be a salad with boiled shrimp. It seems to me from what little I know about the Mediteranian diet to be similar to but not exactly like the Mediteranian diet. They do have a website CarbLovers.com if you would like to check it out. I am learning that PLANNING had to to be done in order to be successful. I do have to count calories to keep the portions under control and I don't follow the plan exactly as planned since I cannot eat as much carbs as they seem to recommend. I ended up with a 3 1/2 lb loss for the
1st week which worked out good since I did not count calories and ate more that the 1200 calorie a day for the kickstart week. I do want to keep my calories between 1400 to 1600 a day thus starting to count this week.

pattygirl63
05-06-2011, 12:02 PM
Hi Everyone,

Sorry I've been MIA. Couldn't believe that I hadn't been here since May 1st. I've really been trying to get this new way of eating organized so I can get to losing weight again.

Fatmad You are right about planning. I tried just eating Intuitively which I believe I still can do eventually, but I realize that #1 I'm learning to eat differently because I need to get fiber in my diet and Resistant Starch is new to me and #2 it is really true that we don't really realize what normal portions are. To answer your question about Resistant Starch foods, I made a copy of the list of Top Resistant Starches and marked off the higher ones that DH and I could or would eat. (Tony has IBS and I'm sure I do too so we both need to make these changes in our eating.) The book says you need at least 10 to 15 grams of RS a day. And it doesn't really take special expensive foods like a lot of diets. I now eat rolled oats oatmeal which can be cooked normally, but I toast it and add 1/2 oz slivered almonds, a green banana which is the food that has the most grams of RS and then add Fiber 1 yogurt. That way I get 17.1 grams of RS which is a little more than minimum recommendation just for breakfast. Today I'm cooking white/great northern beans (only beans DH really like... he is such a picky eater:dizzy:) for our main meal. I can have corn polenta, but not sure I would like that so I'll make cornbread with flaxseed added to it and get more fiber. My supper will be a salad with boiled shrimp. It seems to me from what little I know about the Mediteranian diet to be similar to but not exactly like the Mediteranian diet. They do have a website CarbLovers.com if you would like to check it out. I am learning that PLANNING had to to be done in order to be successful. I do have to count calories to keep the portions under control and I don't follow the plan exactly as planned since I cannot eat as much carbs as they seem to recommend. I ended up with a 3 1/2 lb loss for the
1st week which worked out good since I did not count calories and ate more that the 1200 calorie a day for the kickstart week. I do want to keep my calories between 1400 to 1600 a day thus starting to count this week. Hope you heel is feeling better. Mine used to hurt me and learned to put a pillow under my legs and hang my heels off of the pillow and the pain went away. Sit with feet propped up but not on hard surfaces... have to have a soft pillow.

Ruthie I do like fish, but just can't usually find a good way to cook it that DH will eat and he is picky about it... doesn't like any of it that is good for him. However, he will eat scampi and use the buttery sauce lightly just enough for flavor. I fried shrimp, but found that I like a salad with the boiled shrimp just as well. I was thrilled to find frozen boiled shrimp without the tails at one of the local stores all the other stores had the tails on them. I also like chowder, but never tried making it. Is it easy?

Riemontana I think it is great that your meeting went so well for you. How super to see people that see you only once a year and have such confidence because you've lost weight. I look forward to that happening for me. Won't happen when I go home to see my family back in TX, but DH grandson graduates from high school next year and it sure would be nice to have at least half this weight gone by the time we go back to FL next year.

DH has a VQ scan next Tuesday to check his lungs. Doc says everything else has checked out normal and this is the only thing left to check. His blood doc had suggested that he needs to start walking and build up his strength, but when he tried working in the yard, he would have to come in the house and lie down for a few minutes and go back out and it would happen again. So the primary doc decided to do this test to be sure nothing else is going on with the lungs and that the clots have dissolved as they should have. If that turns out okay, then the next step will be to start exercising to get his health back to normal. I really pray that is what they will find. We could walk together and work at getting our life back to normal. Tony's A1c was 5.5 so that was good. We also went to see his diagestive doc and he has released him until 2013 when he will have to have another colonoscopy.

Guess that brings me up to date.

Y'all have a good weekend.

Riemontana
05-06-2011, 11:01 PM
Hello All,

TrishI am going look up resistant starches. It sounds really interesting

Well I had a productive day despite the fact that I woke up feeling terrible from this darn cold. fbs pretty good in the low 80's all day.

I did some shopping for my Vegas trip. I always like to leave with new shampoo, etc. I bought several types of meal replacement bars. I am still worried about how I am going to manage my food while I am there.

I ate sparingly today because I wasn't hungry. Tonight I feel a little better. I gave myself a mani and a pedi. I never wear sandals, but I see my toes and I feel better when they look better. Crazy.

I am going to rest and watch a movie tonight. Take care all.

Ruthxxx
05-07-2011, 07:20 AM
Good morning. I faced the scale this morning and seem to have "found" two pounds. Grrr! I have been a bit too carby, I guess, although the BGL is back to the normal-for-me range. I know I've been too "seldom" on vegetables and sort of doing it up too much on lovely grapes.

Finally took the time to make a beef stew last night, not for supper but for later. I think stew is so much better after a day in the fridge. I even put in potato and carrots. I'll add green beans today. Victoza has not only killed my appetite but my enjoyment of cooking. I'm trying to get that back. The salmon filet I froze is going to get cooked and transformed into salmon salad tomorrow.

Today I work a huge plant sale in the morning and then the group will go for lunch at the diner. I plan on having a Caesar salad with my own dressing when I'm there. Salad is a vegetable, right? :lol:

Fatmad, you are right. I may as well accept the fact that I just don't like fish. I find it OK when done on the BBQ but have decided to eat it just when I'm out at someone's house for dinner. Of course, eating grilled sardines with red wine on the beach in Portugal would be different!

Patty, fish chowder is really simple. I make a clam chowder with canned clams that folks rave about. Google for recipes. I'll try to remember to post mine although it's so simple I'll be embarrassed.

Montana, I read your post and then looked at my feet. I definitely need either a pedicure or a foot transplant. Poor piggy toes! Right now, they'd call 911 if they saw me walk into a salon with these poor feet. I may have to "pre-pedi" before I go which is like cleaning before the cleaning person comes.

The day is calling em to get things in gear. Have a good Saturday and do something nice for yourself.

Riemontana
05-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Good Morning!

Fbs at 94 this morning, not too bad but probably up due to the cold / cold medicine. Still pretty respectable. I slept for 8 1/2 hours last night which is wonderful for me. I did 1 hour and 20 minutes of aerobics, then stretch routine for 15 mins this morning. I feel relaxed but my muscles are tired. I am attending a birthday party today and I was hoping to create a little room for myself with the extra excercise.:carrot:

Ruth, sorry about the 2 pounds but you will lose them along the way. Maybe they are actually "just visiting" ;) I also think that stew is always better as a leftover. The salad sounds like a good way to eat the salmon. That is also how my son got me started on eating more fish because the only way I used to like it is fried. But, in the end, If you don't like fish, you don't like it.

I hope that everyone has a good day.

Ruthxxx
05-08-2011, 05:55 AM
4.1 this morning after a less than stellar day. I indulged in a bacon cheese dog after the garden sale yesterday - yummy but not on plan. Of course the weight is still up but I got honest this morning and changed my ticker. Now I can enjoy the fun of changing it down!

Gardening and walking is on the exercise menu. It's supposed to be a lovely spring day ... but they've lied before.

Happy Mother's Day!

fatmad
05-08-2011, 07:16 AM
Hi all: had trouble getting to sleep last night, slept in on Saturday morning, and had an afternoon nap so was up late, but got up early with the sun this am, its lovely out. I am doing a walk-a-thon this am, fundraising for the "white ribbon alliance" for maternal health. Its part of getting ready for my trip to South Africa in June. I hope my heel holds out. It is a short walkathon, just 5 k, so its not like I will be all day. That is just a good hard walk. I plan to take my dog, who isn't great on a leash, but love the exercise. I will bring snacks for her for treats to keep her on her best behaviour.
Well, remember earlier in the week when I went off the metformin for a few days to see if it was causing my heel pain, (it wasn't)? I forgot about starting it up again, and having abdominal discomfort! I had terrible cramps yesterday and Friday. LOL :p I forgot about this, I was very much used to the meds and didn't have any problems with it anymore.
Happy Mother's day to all of us, I think everyone who visits regularly is a Mother, as we haven't heard from mr z for a while, or the young woman who visited for a bit. :o sorry to forget the name. is it Cassandra?
Anyway the weather is lovely here, sunny and warming, so it will be a lovely mothers' day for me, though I miss my own Mum.

Riemontana
05-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Good Morning Fellow Travelers!

I slept well but only for about 6 and a half hours. Still a little stuffy. fbs was at 94 despite good eating last night. I think it is the cold.

I worked out on the wii for 36 minutes doing strength and boxing, then 45 minutes on the Walk it Out. I burned almost 450 calories. I was dripping in sweat but I felt like I accomplished something.

Yesterday I thought that I found a great meal replacement bar. I ate it and couldn't believe how filling it was and how great it tasted. Well, as I checked the package again, it was for TWO servings. I mean really, why would they do that with something that looks like an individually packaged product. GRRRRR.:mad:

Fatmad, I forgot about that little problem with the metformin, also! Hopefully, it is better. It is so great that you are doing a 5k! I hope to lose enough weight so that the Dr. will allow me to do more outdoor exercise on this worn-out knee. And, how nice for your dog to go along! Let us know how you did.

Ruth, at least the bacon cheese dog wasn't totally carby! I hope you enjoy gardening for the day.

I am going to do my skin pamper Sunday routine, and then have dinner with my mom tonight. I am eating sparingly to prepare. In the meantime, I am going to watch a movie and have a fairly lazy day.

Happy Mother's Day Everyone!:hug:

Ruthxxx
05-09-2011, 06:11 AM
Really expected a scale drop today as I was perfectly on plan yesterday and sure got in my exercise out in the garden. Why can pounds go on so fast and take so much longer to go? No fair! BGL was fine though.

Off to the gym this morning and will do extra cardio. Maybe that will help.

fatmad
05-09-2011, 07:46 AM
Had a lovely Mother's day. Nice gift from younger DD and DH, they made a lovely supper for me. (on plan too). I had my 5 k walk with the dog, who was pretty well behaved. We run her on trails and around our large place, so she isn't well leash trained, and is a collie cross, so wants to herd the cars, but the village was pretty quiet and we stuck to back streets, so not much traffic, so I was pretty pleased with her. The heel did well actually, and feels better today, so I am thinking of doing more not less walking. I was finding the trail walks a bit of a problem, but maybe I just have to stretch it. Resting it sure wasn't helping, so I may as well exercise more.
Stuck to plan yesterday until the evening. Apparently "smart food" cheese popcorn is on the list of things not to allow into the house. I am having trouble lately with stuff being around, so will have to get strict with myself and clear everything out, as I am not dealing well with temptation.
I am off Toronto again for the day, looks like its not an overnight thing, and I didn't pack a lunch, so will have to hope for good food for lunch, although there is a swiss chalet nearby where I can get chicken and salad at least.
The early morning plays havoc with my schedule though, so hoping to get a nap on the way home this evening.
Ruth, hope you get to the gym and have a good day. I am really happy for you Montana, getting on the wii and walking fit. you go!
happy monday everyone

Riemontana
05-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Fatmad - congrats on the walk and on the well behaved dog:) I am glad that your heel is doing ok. Is it perhaps that the level surface walking is better for you than the trails? Or perhaps, the type of surface that you are walking on?

It sounds like everyone had a nice mother's day.

Ruth, I hear you! Pounds seem to just jump on and then you have to scrape, claw and push them off! GRRRRR.

fbs at 88 this morning and I had a good hour of aerobics. I hope you all don't get tired of hearing about this - it helps me to stay on track.

Pattigirl I hope you are doing well.

Have a great day!

pattygirl63
05-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Glad everyone had a great Mother's day.

I agree Ruthie and Riemontana that pounds come on much easier and faster than losing them.

Fatmad So glad your heel did well during your walk. Funny how we learn things about our bodies by doing other things. It is difficult for me when I first start walking... my back and hip usually hurts, but in time the grow stronger from the walking and the pain goes away. The problem is many times I give in to the pain and don't exercise. My right knee has started bothering me so got some liquid glucosamine to drink and moved the stationary bike back into the living room and started riding it again last night. I also have learned that there are certain foods I can't have in the house. Even though there are foods on the CarbLovers Diet list that are allowed, I still can't have them in the house. I think some things that our mind just seems to be think binge etc. So I'm learning with this new woe that there are still foods that I can't bring into the house.

We have a chance to get rain all week. Hope all that rain slows down by th time we leave next week.

Have a good day.

Riemontana
05-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Trish I hear you about certain foods not being in the house. It is hard because my son and 4yr old grandson live with me. There are lots of things that we keep around for him. But, we try to avoid things that are too tempting for me. I sometimes wish that I could sit down and eat a bunch of oreos or cheetos with him. :-(

I hope that someday I can get to a mental place where I can have a more normal relationship with food. Maybe that will happen.

Well, I worked late today and I am only two days from my vegas trip. I am getting excited. Wahoo!

Have a restful and happy evening

Ruthxxx
05-10-2011, 05:19 AM
Whoops! Sat on the deck and drank Caesars with a friend to celebrate the first Spring evening. The salt rimming the glass did me in. Today will be a big water day. BGL is also whacky at 6.2 - maybe salt? Alcohol usually makes it low. Hmmm.

fatmad
05-10-2011, 08:38 AM
oh dear, have misplaced my glucometer! WIll have to find it today. I didn't test yesterday so didn't miss it. Was another day in Toronto, but stayed on plan. Lots of salt though, so didn't weigh in this am, but "feels" like all the clothes fit right, so not worries. Am going to take the dog to the trail to walk. Yesterday wore the shoes I had on Sunday, but didn't walk as much, but heel is quite sore, even feels "bruised" a bit. But will tray a good walk again anyhow.
have a good day friends.

Riemontana
05-10-2011, 09:47 AM
Good morning all!

I woke to increased cold symptoms this am so I did a very light workout - just to get the blood moving but not enough to get tired. fbs was 94. I sure hope that I can get well very fast as I don't want to travel sick!

I could use some advice:My Dr has told me that it is ok for me to drink. "just be careful" but he hasn't told me anything else. I would really like to have some drinks while I am in Vegas - maybe even quite a few :-). Since diagnosis, I have only had a small glass of wine with dinner on 2 occasions. There was really no impact on bs or how I feel. Any advise or experience you could share would be great.

Thanks for posting about the ceasars, Ruth. I love them.

Fatmad, way to go with the walking. I hope your heel starts to feel better. Just wondering, do you have a heel spur or another condition that may be causing your pain? What does your doc say?

Riemontana
05-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Hello fellow travelers!

Just a quick note to let you know that I weighed in today. I only weigh once per month. I was so happy to see that another 6 pounds has gone! I keep thinking that my plan is so moderate that my weightloss will slow down but I have been at a steady average of 6 pounds. In nine months I have lost 62 pounds. It feels pretty good.

Heading to Vegas in the morning. Take care all

Ruthxxx
05-12-2011, 05:55 AM
Good work, Montana, and have a good Vegas trip. I've never been there but will do it one of these days. I just need to pick the right friend to go along.

Well, weight is finally going down again. 188 on Tuesday and 184 this morning. I credit the water, Fibre1 and veggies plus exercise. The 170s in June are a possibility!

fatmad
05-13-2011, 09:16 AM
wow, Ruth, thats great, and the big drop must be from water retention as you said. Montana, I am so glad for you to have steady losses and hope you have fun in vegas, and generally avoid the mixed drinks. Wine should be ok, and plain mixes like with diet coke or something, but its those fancy ones with liqueur shots that will kill your diet. And do forgive yourself if there is a small gain when you get home. Just remember its not the end of the world and you will be able to lose again just like now.
Have been busy with work, so have been mia, but have a bit of time off and should have a more regular schedule for the next while. Weight is at ticker again, would really like to get down to 160 for the summer, but it sure doesn't want to go off easily. If I gain a bit, I can get rid of it, but can't seem to budge down even with staying closely on plan.

Having some work stress, different from the funny hours, and am hoping to be able to stay on plan in spite of it, so thats my challenge in the next week.
have a good weekend everyone ttfn

Ruthxxx
05-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Still holding at ticker but FBGL was 3.3 this morning. I had two pork skewers (small) and a lovely mesclun salad. I guess I should have added some more carbs.

Realized I am addicted to caffeine. There was no coffee so I had to drink decaf. My workout at the gym was difficult and I felt really draggy until I had some real coffee at the Diner.

Good advice from Mad on the booze. I find hard liquor (Scotch) affects my BGL much less than wine - carbs, I guess. Beer is an absolute no-no as are sweet mixed drinks. Gin and diet tonic is my drink for the summer. At parties I can get away with water, ice and a slice of lime and folks think I'm actually drinking.

A challenge again this afternoon. I am off to a volunteer appreciation tea at the nursing home. My strategy is to simply not go into the food room. I will have a dog with me and know they can't go in because of health regulations so ...

fatmad
05-14-2011, 09:18 AM
Well, drank a LOT of wine yesterday afternoon, but stuck to plan food wise, so ticker is ok this am. Planning a quiet weekend otherwise, so am hoping it will stay fine. It is going to rain the rest of the weekend here, but I hope the landscaper who is coming tonight will be able to give us some good ideas for fixing up the yard. It is huge and right now is just too difficult to manage and look good, so I want professional ideas to make it "right".
Just a quick check in, hope everyone has a good weekend, especially our Montana friend on her trip to Vegas!

Ruthxxx
05-16-2011, 06:44 AM
Ticker is up a bit today from a yummy supper last night but it's not 185 so I won't change it. Darling Dr Bob popped in at supper time and we had corned beef on rye with dill pickles for a veggie. :lol: Salt city! He brought me a three month supply of Victoza samples which saves me $900. Weightloss in diabetics is his specialty and he is frequently consulted by my own Dr Jack.

I am still concerned over not eating a more balanced diet. Veggies seem to be missing from a lot of my days. This morning, after gym, I am making a whole head of broccoli into soup and am going to be sure to eat two veggies with my dinner. I take a multi-vitamin but real food is better. Milk is a bit lacking too and my nails are showing it.

pattygirl63
05-16-2011, 05:06 PM
Just dropping in a few minutes to say I've not forgotten y'all. I had a message ready to send a few days ago and lost it in cyberspace and didn't feel like writing it again.

We leave Wednesday for TX. I've been watching things on enternet reading newspapers and hope the route we are taking to cross the Mississippi is a good route. We are going to Arkansas first to see my daughter and then plan to meet my babysister in Texarkana, TX and have dinner with her. She lives in Waco area where I'm going but her boys are trying to get into R&B and have a 3 month tour starting the day we are supposed to be in Waco. Daddy told me she was supposed to be in Texarkana the night I was to be in Waco so I called her and we are hoping to meet up there for a visit.

DH was as slow about getting in the mood for the trip as I was, but now he has turned it into a mini vacation. Turns out that my other sister is having hip replacement surgery Thursday after Daddy's eye surgery on Monday so we will stay until the surgery is over and then go to San Antonio because Tony has never been there. We will be gone about 2 weeks. I'll try to check in here whenever I can.

I don't remember if I told you all of Tony's tests came back fine so I guess now we have to work on DH building up his strength. Blood doc says "walk". I hope he will do it as I would love to walk. It is hard on me at first but when I get used to it my body begins to really feel good.

Y'all have a good week and I'll try to check in with y'all when I get to Waco and get settled.

fatmad
05-16-2011, 09:04 PM
Trish, have a great time on your trip. Hope Montana is enjoying herself in Vegas too. Am going to a conference for a couple of days myself, but will take the laptop and I expect there will be internet at the hotel. As usual I have to worry about meals a bit , but hope to exercise a lot and will eat out if needed.
Not coping very well re work, but doing ok with food for the being, hope I can do an end run around the urge to try to binge my troubles away. Been there, done that, time to find a better way. Perhaps yoga in the morning.

Ruthxxx
05-18-2011, 05:59 AM
Well, I went up to 187 yesterday but it's gone again today. :shrug: I must be extremely salt sensitive. I think the marinated pork skewers did me in plus the remains of the corned beef.

I'm afraid this constant rain is dragging me down. I'd sure never be able to handle winter in the West Coast. I eat more bread and grains when it's gray and cold but am trying to snap out of it. I'll have a salad with a HB egg for lunch and a small bowl of broccoli soup. Stir fry with veggies will do for dinner as I am once again loaded with veggies from the Good Food Box program.

I hope Montana and Patty are having a good time on their travels.

Ruthxxx
05-20-2011, 08:19 AM
Sure is lonely in here.

Weight is still the same but darned FBGL is up to 7.2 this morning. I'm not sure why unless it was a few nibbles of white chocolate chips last night as I got baking organized for today. ;)

fatmad
05-20-2011, 05:57 PM
Sure is lonely in here.

Weight is still the same but darned FBGL is up to 7.2 this morning. I'm not sure why unless it was a few nibbles of white chocolate chips last night as I got baking organized for today. ;)

Well, two of our regulars are away, and rosebud to the north hasn't been on much for a while. I suspect some of our friends are lurking quietly.

I have been away a lot.
FBS this am was 5.8, and has been reasonable before and after meals when testing this week.

fatmad
05-21-2011, 08:50 AM
Ahh, a rare really good and long sleep last night. Had been working during the night before and slept a while during the day, but had some catching up to do. Feeling more alive now!. Had sushi last night at a friend's birthday supper, and overdid it a bit. The table ordered too much and we had to finish it all.....LOL. And I did say I was going to stop eating sushi, but wanted more than just sashimi.....
thats what we get for going to an all you can eat place, we overeat.
Weight is steady today, it seems to take a day or so to catch up. I will stay on plan today and see what happens.
Its a beautiful and warm day today, so that helps a lot. Hope this weather lasts a bit!

Riemontana
05-21-2011, 02:44 PM
Hello Everyone! Back on the air....

It sounds like you are all doing well. Everyone is taking good care of themselves.

I really enjoyed my trip and I managed my blood sugars very well except for the one evening that I succumbed to mango margaritas... bs was 171 at bedtime, an unheard of number for me. Other that that, I managed to eat wonderful food that was probably bad for the scale but good for the blood sugar. I plan to try and be very good for a while.....;)

I had fun wearing all my new clothes and feeling good. I actually had a couple guys flirt with me - a totally new experience. It was fun!

A couple of days ago, I stumbled and hurt my bad knee. I don't see the Dr till tuesday. But, I am spending the weekend with pain meds and ice packs so getting back to aerobics will have to wait for a couple of days.:mad: I guess it will be ok, my grandson really missed me so we will spend time together. I am dreading the dr appt, and really hoping that I can avoid another cortisone shot. Traveling yesterday was really hard with all the walking through airports so I am glad to be home.

Fatmad, sorry that your work is still pretty stressful. Hopefully the better schedule will allow you some time to take care of yourself. It will be nice to hear from you. We miss you when you get busy and you aren't around much.

Ruth, hang in there. Keep taking care of yourself and the ticker will respond. I am glad that your Dr friend helped you with meds. They are so outrageously expensive!
Trish, I hope that you are having a good time and avoiding floods.

BBL!

knorris
05-21-2011, 06:48 PM
Hi all! New here and will give a synopsis of myself. May, 2007 I was diagnosised with T2 diabetes. I weighed in at 183. 5'1" all stomach. Lol have been low carb since but am getting so tired of it. My dr wants me to have 100 a day. I'm at about 30-40. I am down to 125 but have in the last few weeks been fighting to keep it there and this morning was 127.8. :(( what is everyone else doing. Watching just carbs or calories more or ??? I see, agh I can't remember her name is doing a carb lovers. Did you change from something else. At 64 I'm thinking I can ease up on the tight control, fbg always under 100, A1c 5.3, because I'm old enough that if I don't have perfect numbers the damage won't happen until I'm dead! Lol My dad had diabetes for about 40 yrs. I'll be dead before then! Thanks for your answers in advance Karen

Riemontana
05-21-2011, 09:07 PM
Hello Knorris! Welcome.

I don't know what everyone else is doing. I try to eat about 60 to 90 carbs per day with an eye toward calories as well. I try to simply eat moderately and use portion control, with lots of green veggies.

I don't know about when your complications would show up, but I think you can probably have a few more carbs and still maintain control. We have talked about this here before: it is often the type of carbs and each person's response to them that matters.

Anyway, welcome to you! I hope that you hang out with us. Congrats on such a huge weight loss. Good job

Ruthxxx
05-22-2011, 07:30 AM
Hi, Karen, and welcome. Congrats on your excellent weight loss. Your numbers look just great. I'm doing South Beach which seems to work just fine for me - if I stick to it. I am also on Victoza which is supposed to lower my HA1C. It hasn't done that so far, but I'm hopeful for my June bloodwork.

Montana ... mango margarita. Yum! That's almost as good as a flirt! :rofl: I hope you thoroughly enjoyed both.

Well, finally my FBGL is down to 4.2 this morning AND ... drumroll ... my ticker is correct at 182 after being stuck most of the month. There's help for the 170s in June!

I never though I'd say this but my biggest problem lately is eating enough. I don't have much (any) appetite and need to force myself to eat veggies. I do take a multi-vitamin but that's not the same, especially when I forget to take it. "We get too soon old and too late smart."

Time to crank up Sunday and plan my meals for the week. Then FOLLOW the plan!

Riemontana
05-22-2011, 07:51 PM
Hey Ruth. Congrats on the ticker!

I hear you about the appetite thing. I feel that, for myself, it is not so much a lack of appetite but my relationship with food has changed a lot. Food is fuel - mostly - not pleasure. Sometimes it makes it less attractive. I know that I enjoy some of my planned snacks like yogurt better than full meals. Like you, I need a plan or I just can't manage it.

My knee is really bad so I haven't done anything this weekend. I am worried that the doc will want to do a cortisone injection. It always hurts so much afterward and my blood sugar goes scary high. It really frightens me. I am going to call my endo tomorrow and talk to him about it.

Hang in there everybody. Stay on plan - mostly. Talk to you tomorrow.

Lindyloo
05-22-2011, 11:12 PM
Hello:carrot:

Back with you all again in the morning. I'm done with all the excitment around here. Deaths, sickness, time to look after ME. I won't get into it all, but it's been a long drawn out time.

Low carb here I come, since the doctor took me off the one med that I was taking, I don't need to worry about the lows that I used to get.

I joined Spark People, and they have a great diabetes program there and they have lots of low carb recipes and a great diabetes group.

Be back in the AM.

Ruthxxx
05-23-2011, 07:28 AM
Welcome back, Lindyloo, and so sorry about all the problems. Yes, sometimes we need to make ourselves a priority.

The ticker held over the holiday weekend, maybe because I turned down two dinner invitations for Saturday and Sunday. I even cooked and enjoyed the process. It was a sort of pasta primavera sauce with asparagus and herbs from the garden. I was able to eat only half the small serving though! At least I have some meals in the stash now. Frozen LC dinners are now banished from my house!

Weight is holding and BGL was an acceptable 5.2 this morning.

fatmad
05-23-2011, 04:21 PM
welcome back Lindyloo, and Montana, hope your knee gets better.
Karen, glad for you to join us too. Ruth, I am a little jealous of your success.

I do low carb, and do best there, and since I am almost 50, I do want to be careful with my sugars. I really feel the effects of non-vegetable carbs.
Get draggy and sleepy with grains especially, so even if I have a little lunch-bag letdown from time to time, I plan to stay low carb. On the atkin thread there are people who have been low carb for years.
Since you are hovering around goal, why not up the carbs a bit, with careful watch of glycemic index and how well you do, (so you will need to calorie count a bit) and see how it goes? NO, I don't think we can go back to a lot of cereal for breakfast, but maybe steel cut oats cooked in milk or soy milk, with careful portion control, would be reasonable to try for a change. I also have greek full fat yogurt for breakfast (can't do the oatmeal :( spikes me too much) with some chopped nuts when I get tired of eggs. This morning I had left over steak, cut into strips and fried with mushrooms for breakfast.
I take metformin twice a day, and exercise pretty regularly.
I am expecting a really regular sleep schedule for the next 6 weeks, (except the jet lag on my trip) so hope that will help "everything" get in shape.

Riemontana
05-23-2011, 09:48 PM
Hi all,

The discussion on carbs is really good. It is interesting how our bodies react differently to different carbs. Even the glycemic index is only a guide because I have had to learn what carbs cause me to spike and which ones don't. I eat a single packet of instant oatmeal with a scant teaspoon of natural peanut butter almost every morning. My doctor and the nutritionist were really on me about eggs - but I am learning that they may be more healthy than we are led to believe. I am also quite happy with a protein shake but I try to stick to real food.

I have been learning that I need to balance carbs with protein. Weird, but I really react more to carbs without some protein.

Fatmad I am glad that your regular schedule will allow you to get some rest. I notice that everything works better if I can keep to some sort of schedule.

There is quite a thread on here about cinnamon and chromium. Anyone using them? My dad swears by cinnamon so I started taking it but I stopped because I thought it was giving me heartburn. Anyone else have any luck?

Tomorrow I am going to lift weights from a chair. Must workout somehow. I hope everyone has a good night.

Ruthxxx
05-24-2011, 08:00 AM
Fully expected another higher FBGL reading this morning as I had pasta AND crackers for supper last night but my reading was 4.2. :shrug: I am actually considering doing lower carb for a while to budge a few more pounds but will monitor to ensure my BGL doesn't bottom out.

What's the best thing to bring very low readings back up? Five Alive? Chocolate milk? Glucose tablets?

Lindyloo
05-24-2011, 11:07 AM
Good morning ladies!!

It's been raining here for two days straight and isn't supposed to quit for another 3 days. I guess we need it though, so I really can't complain.

FBG was 6.8 this morning which is good for me. Yesterday it was 7.8. I don't know why as I didn't overdo on anything??

The house is still up for sale, but I think we have it overpriced as we have only had one showing. I guess we'll have to lower it.

Welcome Karen. The ladies here are very helpful.

Must go and do some work, and maybe go for a walk in the rain.

Have a great day everyone.

Riemontana
05-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Good morning!

fbs at 92 this morning which was good considering that I didn't sleep well and I haven't been able to work out for several days.

Ruth, I like to use low sugar juice for lows because I don't get a rebound effect. My dr switched me from glypizide to januvia and I don't really get lows anymore. I am always careful about glucose tabs or other straight sugar because it can cause me to go from low to high very fast and that isn't comfortable. But, I carry a piece of hard candy with me when I am hiking or fishing.

BBL

Riemontana
05-24-2011, 06:50 PM
I didn't need a cortisone shot but I have a torn quadricept and probably a partially ruptured quad tendon. Bummer. I have a new brace and I am looking at a minimum 30 day recovery. Gonna have to figure out new cardio to do in the short term. I don't know what to do.

fatmad
05-24-2011, 10:04 PM
Montana, maybe a stationary bike would be ok. With very low resistance, so you use speed, not strength to get the HR up.
I am interested in the cinnamon and chromium thing, I was reading about the combo on one of the other threads, was it pcos? Appetite suppression would be good for me. I have to be careful about overeating, my portions are still a bit too big. I still act as if I will never get another meal, or if I don't eat the whole thing now, it will be GONE forever and I can't handle it.

Riemontana
05-25-2011, 08:21 PM
Yes I am hoping that I can ride a bike. I need the cardio. Unfortunately my brace will not let me bend the knee more than 65 degrees for the first ten days:( I may have to stick to lifting weights for now.

Yes, the thread I saw was on the pcos. I am interested but I haven't had time to do the research. My dad swears by cinamon.

Appetite is not too much of a problem for me because my program allows unlimited amounts of "free" veggies. I control portions by filling in with those veggies until I am full. Tonight I had a tillapia fillet, a small 1/2cup portion of corn polenta, 1/2 broiled portabella mushroom. Not a lot of food. But, I also had about 2 cups of romaine lettuce and cucumbers. I am stuffed.

What do you typically eat? I know that you do really low carb...

fatmad
05-25-2011, 08:26 PM
Montana, I have been averaging about 30-40 g carbs most days. I stick to basic breakfasts, eggs, with bacon or ham, or an omelette, or greek yoghurt with chopped nuts, or a protein shake. Lunch is salad and cheese or meat roll ups. Sometimes leftovers from supper. Supper is cooked veggies and meat. I haven't been snacking a lot during the day, filling up is no problem, but I am snackish in the evening and that can be my undoing. I try to stick to veggies and dip (blue cheese or avacado and cheese) but sometimes have nuts etc.
I wind up with about 10 servings of veggies, as I fill up on these. I try to make sure I get enough fat to make up for the lower carbs so I don't get hungry, and I am not always successful, but I try.
GOod luck with the exercise with the knee in the brace, its a drag, but you can do it.

Ruthxxx
05-26-2011, 07:35 AM
Quickie but an announcement that being attacked by "friends" bearing chicken wings (honey garlic) and wine can result in a three pound gain overnight! I know it's just water weight but still ... I sure had a fun evening though and I do have a Life.

Water, veggies and protein today. Amazingly, FBGL was 4.3. :shrug:

Riemontana
05-26-2011, 11:01 AM
Ruth - chicken wings and wine? I hope you enjoyed every minute! the weight will come off. Good job on the bs.

Lindyloo
05-26-2011, 11:05 AM
Good morning:D

Ruth, I'm a sucker for wings and wine as well, but your right we do have to live once in a while.

Still raining here. We are supposed to get 75 mm over the next two or three days and I can't find my umbrella to go for a walk. I must admit though it's better than snow.

Montana, maybe just stick to the upper body for awhile until you knee heals a little more. Do you have a Wii? Maybe there would be something on there that you could use.

Low carb seems to be working better for me now and I think I have lost 3 lbs. according to the scale this morning. I find myself only eating breakfast and dinner though as I don't have breakfast until around 11. Sticking to around 45 - 60 grams of carbs a day.

Have a great day everyone.

Riemontana
05-26-2011, 08:24 PM
Hi all. bs in good shape throughout the day. A little weight lifting. Looking forward to light cardio the beginning of the week.

Lindy - it sounds like you are doing great! Congrats on the loss.

I am headed to the pool captains meeting tonight after a dinner of fish and veggies. Summer league is just around the corner and I am excited.

BBL.

Riemontana
05-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Hi All.

fbs is pretty good tonight. 84, and still under 95 after supper. I am trying to eat pretty light due to the problems with the knee. I am reminded, again, the stress and pain has an impact on bs.

Tonight we had fresh asparagus (I picked it from the ditchbank - it loves rainy weather), a little thinly sliced steak with mushrooms, light alfredo sauce and spagetti squash. I am really developing a taste for spagetti squash- it is so sweet and nice.

Tomorrow I am buying my plants for the garden. I will be putting in several stevia plants. Last year I bought one to try and it was not enough. I don't really like the powdered stevia but the green plant makes lovely iced tea. With some fresh peppermint, I should be able enjoy some lovely tea in the heat of the summer.

My DIL called me today to report that she has lost 19#. She called in a panic about 6 weeks ago, having been diagnosed pre-diabetic. She wanted my plan and everything so I emailed it to her with some of my food diaries. I feel good that I was able to help her. She is taking to it really easy and her bs has been great.

I hope that you are enjoying the weekend.

fatmad
05-29-2011, 08:03 AM
Well, you know when I go MIA its not good news for my food plan. Have been very off plan. I have conjuctivitis (good ole pink eye!) and have to say, its been my undoing. I was doing well with a work stress issue a couple of weeks ago, but when my eye started up, well I just lost it and have been having pie, cereal and chocolate like crazy. I wont even step on the scale right now. I decided to get back on track today. Eye is finally getting better after 3 days, and 3 different antibiotics (I have developed some new allergies, resulting in lots of swelling and general ugliness). Today I go to visit my Dad. After a little over a year, he is making the house "his". He's just had it repainted and wants to give my sister and I some of the furniture, some special stuff of Mum's. Its a lovely thing. So I am taking a trailer and going to visit after breakfast.
He is dating as I said, but has not plans for "moving in" together or getting married at this point he says, but is feeling good about life again, and I am so happy for him. At 80 a person really deserves good things in their lives.
ttfn

Ruthxxx
05-29-2011, 09:20 AM
Mad, I am glad that your Dad is able to move on with his life. I like to see that. So sorry about the eye problem. There's always something, isn't there? :shrug:

My ticker is still lying as I can't seem to shake that alleged "water weight". If it doesn't budge soon, I'll have to adjust the darn thing. Looking back on the week' menus there were too many carby days, low calorie but too much bread and pasta! My FBGL has been running a bit high too. I have a perpetual ear ache which may be affecting that - will go to the doc this week.

There was a chicken BBQ at the Legion yesterday which was on my plan but I left it too late so had a salad of greens from my garden plus some beans and a HB egg. Then I ruined it by munching some cookies that were stashed in the freezer. Medicating with food does not help a sore ear!

Today's challenge? Our Church is having an afternoon dance - a real dance with wine, beer, a local group and food, of course. That should not be a big problem as I an very sick of the food after spending all afternoon yesterday getting it ready. (I'll eat a sandwich and fruit before I go.) I'm bartending which means I won't be drinking either.

Tonight's supper will involve asparagus, tomatoes and a mushroom omelet and I WILL get back to the gym tomorrow morning.

Lindy87
05-29-2011, 09:25 AM
Been MIA for a while. My hubby and I decided that enough is enough and the diet starts again on Tuesday after the holiday. I am pretty excited that he wants to do it too. He also needs to loose a ton weight and doing it together will help. Going to go back to trying South Beach and see how it goes. Hope to continue posting again. Looking forward to hanging with you all again!

Ruthxxx
05-29-2011, 09:46 AM
Nice to "see" you in my two favourite places.

Riemontana
05-29-2011, 01:35 PM
Hi all. Happy Sunday.

fbs has been good and I have been worried so I did some post-prandial testing yesterday and I am doing well. I am really struggling, though, I am HUNGRY! I think it is the lack of excercise and the fact that I am really limiting my eating right now. I have permission to start some light stepping tomorrow if I wear the brace.

Fatmad, good to hear from you. I am sorry about your eye. That is such an irritating problem! It sounds like your dad is in a good process. How nice that you are supportive of him developing a new life. I have seen some adult children behave very badly in that situation. I hope that having some of your mother's special things is comforting to you.

Ruth, it sounds like you are having a busy, yet food challenging weekend. Those cookies in the freezer are killer! I just can't have them in the house, or I won't leave them alone. We buy cookies with walnuts or pecans (I am alergic) for my gs. That's the only way I can let them be.:(

Lindy, it will be nice to see you posting. It is terrific that your dh will do the program with you.

This afternoon we are going to a graduation barbque. I am taking a veggie salad so I can be sure of something that I can eat. I'm sure that most of you have seen it but I will post here. The nice thing is that it actually gets better after a couple days. I make it and eat on it for a week.

Marinated veggie salad: cut bite-sized pieces of veggies. I like broccoli, cauliflower, cukes, peppers and fresh mushrooms. Drench in your favorite italian, ceasar, or home made oil and vinegar dressing. Seal in plastic container and store in fridge. Before serving, shake container and enjoy.
I hope that you all enjoy your day.

fatmad
05-30-2011, 08:01 PM
stayed on plan yesterday and today except for some sugar free chocolate. Got a bit of exercise both days. I plan to work at eating right for a few days then look at the scale, it will be less scary if I take a bit off first, I think.
Enjoying the rhubarb a lot. strawberries are on the way soon, lots of wild ones blooming in my grass. I too have been enjoying some fresh asparagus. (it makes my pee smell funny, TMI, but is true!)
Summer is easier for all the fresh veggies and good stuff.
gonna do a1c later this week before my holidays in June.

pattygirl63
05-30-2011, 09:01 PM
Hi Everyone,

We got home last evening and was late when we got almost everything unpacked and put away. Spent the rest of last night and today getting a big pile of dirty clothes washed and put away.

I was totally off plan the whole trip and gained 7 lbs and believe a lot of it is from salt etc you get from eating in restaurants. Re-read my Volumetrics book while traveling and suddenly understand how I can use it with WW while I get used to portions etc so I was back OP today. I came back home with a whole new attitude and I feel encouraged by what I read. I have decided that I will start exercising regularly. My right foot has bothered me almost the whole time I was gone. I broke my little toe many years ago and I thought it might be arthritis however it was really swelled when I got home so it could be my shoes I wore when in the hotels. Ended up walking San Antonio using my walking cane.

I need to read and catch up on everyone and I'm too tired to do that tonight. I'll do it tomorrow. I hope everyone is doing well.

Till tomorrow

Riemontana
05-30-2011, 09:18 PM
Hi all.

fbs was in the low 80's today but not a suprise because I had very little carbs. The small portion of carbs for dinner suffered a kitchen mishap (burned) and was inedible. So, I had a miniature reeses cup. I am probably still ok, carb and calorie wise.

I am looking forward to a little light aerobics tomorrow for the first time since my knee injury. I miss it. Crossing my fingers that it will go well. I am going to stick to the wii strength and boxing for a week or so before I try to get back into everything.

Fatmad, wtg for being back on plan and excercise. Let me just say, I thought it was only me about the asparagus aftermath, but well worth it... LOL I also love the veggies and fruits of summer. Our farmers market will open up soon and I can't wait. If I can avoid all the pies and breads that they sell.

Trish I can't imagine that you actually gained 7 pounds of fat. It must be the restaurant meals. I hope that you had a good time. San Antonio is lovely!

Well, I am going to try to get one more load of washing done tonight. Have a lovely evening.

Ruthxxx
05-31-2011, 06:32 AM
:lol: at the asparagus effect! It happens to everyone and some of us just don't mention it or notice it. It definitely has a diuretic effect and I should eat three or four pounds of it today as I'm still holding "water" - I hope it's water!

Went to the doc about the earache yesterday and found my ears were plugged with wax! I've no idea why as I've always left my ears pretty much alone and have never had that problem. Anyhow, after an interesting and messy treatment, I can hear again. Didn't lose any weight either!

Food was not good at all over the weekend and the weight is still up at 185. It sure looks like the 170s will not be arriving with the first day of June! I can't go low carb because of the BGL issues but am going to try to cut down on carbs a lot. (Strawberries are better than bread but it's hard to make a sandwich from them.) I'm drinking more water - some of it as Crystal Lite which I make with twice the amount of water called for. I'm not sure if it's really thirst quenching so may switch to plain water with a squirt of lemon.

Today will be warm again so more water will be glugged. I am doing the Village barrel planters today (21!) and will have several bottles with me in the car as I do my rounds. My lettuce in the raised beds is ready so salads will be happening too!

Happy last day of May.

Lindy87
05-31-2011, 07:59 AM
Just popping in to say a quick hello to everyone. Back on the "beach" today after some years away. Looking forward to feeling good again. The weather has been so hot and muggy here. Staying in the ac today. Only going to the market to pick up a few things. It feels so good to be back!

pattygirl63
05-31-2011, 10:36 PM
Welcome to Karen and welcome back Lindyloo.

Montana - I'm sure the 7 lbs are just water weight. I was down 4 lbs this morning.

Mad - I am glad your Dad has found someone to date. Made we think about when my Daddy was dating my Step-mom. They married just before he turned 80. He was so cute... he would say "I'm not dating and they were just friends going out for coffee or dinner". My sister and I laughed at him because he was dating Bonnie. He got upset because she bought him a shirt for Christmas and asked me what he could get her for Christmas that wasn't personal. Can't remember what he bought her, but it was personal. They got married 5 mos later. I always thought Daddy felt like he was being unfaithful to my Mama, but I have always been thankful that he is not alone.

Ruth - I have problems with swelling from salt or something. I don't eat a lot of salt normally, but we can't avoid it sometimes.

I'm eating Volumetics... eating a lot of veggie soups and fruit. I am really enjoying it. I spent most of the day yesterday in the potty room. Not having any problems in that department today either. I did do my Walk Away the Pound 1 mile dvd today. Was hard to do, but not as bad as I thought it would be. Amazing thing is that my foot actually felt better afterwards. So that is a good sign.

We are having record high temps right now so my walking/exercise will be indoors.

Riemontana
05-31-2011, 11:42 PM
Hello all!

fbs 82 this morning and 92 tonight. I feel pretty good. Did 30 minutes of wii aerobics and boxing this morning. My knee hurts tonight but it isn't as bad as I feared it might be so I am happy. I will follow dr's orders and stay light for the week.

Pattygirl - volumetics sounds good. I really miss fruit. I can only eat it in such small portions that I often leave it out of my meals. I did have a few grapes today as my noon carb.

Lindy, good luck on the beach. From reading here lots of people do very well on the program. Nice to have you here!

Ruth, I am with you on the low carb thing. I just can't seem to tolerate extreme low carb. Ironically, I can often get high bs readings. I guess my liver panics and starts putting out sugar. I try to limit carbs, though. Everything is a balancing act.

Tonight we had a guest for a barbque. We had grilled asparagus :D, potatoes, artichokes, and ribs. I had two small ribs, a little potatoes and a plateful of veggies. Everything tasted wonderful from the grill.

Well, off for a night of rest then work tomorrow. It is fun to have lots of company here. TTL

Ruthxxx
06-01-2011, 06:00 AM
See you in the June Thread.