Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-29-2011, 03:28 PM   #1  
is chubby

Default This stupid craving...

I've been on a healthy program for eight months now and begun my weight loss diet a month ago. Everything goes exactly to plan, slow steady loss, muscle build, not even a single day off program.

Aaaaand today for the very first time I experienced cravings. I didn't indulge, but I am not used to such a feeling. I never dieted before in my life and cravings weren't part of my experiences.

It is weird I tell you, WEIRD! I have been thinking specifically about a food item I eat like once a year usually and it doesn't go out of my head right now. I can't get my food down because I think about that stupid meal. I don't even like it that much. I must be going crazy...

Is it that bad for you chicks when you have cravings? Like some absolutely pointless brain overwrite?
Chubbykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #2  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

if my craving is really bad, i indulge it while staying as close to on plan as i can. i try to avoid it, i'll drink water, or do something else and hope it goes away. but if it doesn't, i know that unless i satisfy the craving, i will end up eating everything in my house attempting to avoid it. i would rather have a slight bump by having an off plan snack or meal, than going way off plan by eating everything i can get my hands on.
konfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 212/Ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

What are you craving? Is it sweet or savory? Sometimes if you substitute a healthy option that happens to be sweet...or savory, maybe something with similar ingredients, but healthier, it helps. When I get cravings for something sweet, for example cake...ice cream...brownies(!!), I eat low carb sugar free yogurt or sf jello instead. It immediately satisfies my cravings. Hope this helps!
wabrouq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 266/199/165

Height: 5'7

Yea, whenever I have cravings I think about if it's worth it. Usually the fat girl in me says yes and I will eat that little bit of ice cream or brownie or chips. lol But the key is, if I do indulge I don't over do it. I have my little taste, enough so I can say I "cheated" but not enough to say I completely fell off the wagon and rolled over twice.

The thing I took away from weight watchers is that you can eat what you want, you just have to control the amount. The more you deprive yourself of the things you want, the harder it's going to be to stay on track. At least that's how it's been for me.

I do give you props for being so diligent with your diet. that's awesome.
LilMissLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2

If I am having a really specific craving, I will indulge that craving, but I will shift around my day to make it fit within my plan. The easiest way for me to fail at a diet is to tell me that I CAN'T have something. Then I will think about it constantly until I eventually give in and overindulge.

If you are craving a certain meal, either allow yourself to have a reasonable portion of said meal or find a way to make a healthier version at home.
digitalrequiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:51 PM   #6  
is chubby

My craving is for fried kalamari rings, it is squid with a crust of bread fried in olive oil. It is super fatty and I don't eat meat anymore so it just can't fit into my diet.

This is so sureal. I never even had much love for this food. I think my mind is playing tricks on me. It can't be a deficiency since I take my vegetarian supplement daily.

I think I'll use this for my next painting... me floating in a sea of kalamari rings.

Thanks a lot to you chicks for sharing your experience and giving me advise. It is very much appreciated! Now I only have to forget about those rings...
Old 04-30-2011, 12:11 AM   #7  
going somewhere....

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/125

Height: 5'2

What about Iodine??? Not sure if you are using iodized salt, or if your supplement contains it. I know we need a small amount of iodine......

Just a thought...
ready4skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:35 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 260/ticker/160

Height: 5'6 1/2"

I always make myself eat a pickle before I give in to a craving. Something about pickles wipes the thought of chocolate out of my head.
toobig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:45 AM   #9  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

I get cravings ALL THE TIME. My downfall is Coca Cola. I used to be addicted to it as a teenager and it seriously left its mark. Sometimes I crave that ice cold beverage sooo much. Water just isn't as tasty! Hah!

Other times I get craving for crisps (chips to Americans!). So unfortunately, I get both sweet and savoury cravings! But I'm usually good about it, mainly because I literally can't do anything about it (can't drive/no where near a store)!

It's quite funny when I tell people "I used to be addicted to coke" they look at me funny and go "...oh?" and I have to say "OH NO! Not the drug! The drink!"
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:32 AM   #10  
is chubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riestrella View Post
It's quite funny when I tell people "I used to be addicted to coke" they look at me funny and go "...oh?" and I have to say "OH NO! Not the drug! The drink!"
That's so funny !
I used to drink way too much coca cola light. It substituted water most days. But honestly when I stopped I realised it wasn't a real addiction. It was like five days of headache because of the cafeine tolerance and then nothing. From what I see in docs real addictions never go away.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:55 AM   #11  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Feeding cravings never works for me. The things I crave...well, I'm addicted to. Namely sugar and fat combinations. (ie. candy, cookies, cakes and pies.) For me, if I eat a little cake, it's like drinking a 4 oz glass of wine. It does NOTHING for me except make me want more, MORE, MORE. That's probably how I got to 333 pounds.

When I have cravings, I get the **** out of the house and do something constructive. Anything active. I get off my butt and move and before you know it, I'm over it and got a few things accomplished.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:45 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 196/see ticker/140

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbykins View Post
My craving is for fried kalamari rings, it is squid with a crust of bread fried in olive oil. It is super fatty and I don't eat meat anymore so it just can't fit into my diet.

This is so sureal. I never even had much love for this food. I think my mind is playing tricks on me. It can't be a deficiency since I take my vegetarian supplement daily.

I think I'll use this for my next painting... me floating in a sea of kalamari rings.

Thanks a lot to you chicks for sharing your experience and giving me advise. It is very much appreciated! Now I only have to forget about those rings...
Calimari .... mmmmmm .... just go chew on some rubber bands ...

I really do love calimari, but can't have it anymore because of the breading. No gluten for me!

I would wonder about something perhaps your vegetarian supplement is missing. I'd be tempted to try some nori.

Have you ever tried eating those rice balls wrapped in nori? They are pretty easy to make. Nori sheets, brown rice and umeboshi plums is all you need. Supposed to be really good for you.
nonamortica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #13  

A craving lasts about 15 minutes. Do something else that will take your mind off it. Every time you give in and eat the item, you strengthen the cravings for it.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote