Old 04-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #1  
Kathy

S/C/G: 165/120/120

Height: 5' 1"

Default Still see a size 12

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but when I look in the mirror I don't see a size 4 or a size 6. I see all my flaws and still me as a size 12. I don't feel like a size 6 either, and I know that I've lost a lot and I know that I'm putting on size 6 and 4 clothes but my brain does not compute it. I can't really talk to anyone else about it because then they just think you are bragging or being ridiculous.
Alaskaipjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:22 PM   #2  
colleenm

S/C/G: 269/167/140

Height: 5'6"

I totally understand. It's a game your mind is playing with you. I'm sure there are times that you look at yourself and see all of the hard work paying off. That's what will keep you going. Great job !!!!
colleenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I have found doing something drastic like getting a haircut makes the changes more noticeable. Almost like you have to get your mind to look at you again as a whole so when you do something like cut your hair it takes a look at everything again.

Also maybe if you take a picture of you now and then compare it to when you started you will probably see it even more
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:35 PM   #4  
I love my muscles!

S/C/G: 169/149/135

Height: 5' 5 1/4"

I'm not doing IP, but had to reply to this. The other week, my DH took a rare full body picture of me. When I saw it, I gasped and said "THIS IS WHAT I LOOK LIKE ALL THE TIME!?!?!?!?!" I could not believe it. I looked absolutely thin and it blew me away. He confirmed that's what I look like to other people. I lost 27 lbs in almost a year, so I imagine the effect is much more magnified if you lost the weight quickly, as you likely did with IP. It's like we can logically know we lost the weight, but our brain hasn't caught up with it. It's so weird

When I go shopping, I know I need to get a 6 or 8, but this little voice always says "that's too little, get the 14 or 16!"
pinkflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #5  
Maintaining since 6/9/11

S/C/G: 180/140.2/145

Height: 5 feet, 5 (and a half!) inches

I'm right there with you. I wore a pair of size 6 pants at Easter. The criticisms in my head seemed the same as when I was in my 12s... and don't get me started with the pictures. I thought I looked pregnant.

I know. Ridiculous. I don't know how to change it, Kathy. I'm in the same boat.
Lucky Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:11 PM   #6  

Height: 5' 5"

I read a study not too long ago that said that it takes about 6 months after significant weight loss to "see" the change. I guess after shedding the weight we all have to learn how to shed the old self image.
M0vingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 246(H)/238(IP)/(ticker)/150

They did this interesting thing on the show "Addicted to Food": in order to disconnect the patients' body shape from their "self", the patients had to look at themselves in the mirror while undressed and wearing a paper bag with holes to see through over their head. Sounds pretty harsh, and I haven't tried it myself, but I think the point was to see oneself objectively. I wonder if this exercise would help you?
Or maybe we just have to be resolved that our brains don't keep up with our bodies. I spent a long time ignoring how big I was getting. In fact seeing myself now 40 lbs lighter, I'm disappointed because the reflection in the mirror is how I thought I looked (or rather, how I expected myself to look) at 240.
nerdigrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:59 PM   #8  

Quote:
Or maybe we just have to be resolved that our brains don't keep up with our bodies. I spent a long time ignoring how big I was getting. In fact seeing myself now 40 lbs lighter, I'm disappointed because the reflection in the mirror is how I thought I looked (or rather, how I expected myself to look) at 240
I can completely relate to this, I was shocked to see a picture of myself recently...it doesn't happen too often that someone gets a full body picture but I was way bigger then I pictured myself and its scary because I've lost 30 pounds!
Losingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:14 PM   #9  
Countdown To Amy

S/C/G: 186 / 204 / 145

Height: 5' 6"

I wear one of my husband's belts as a reminder that I am thinner now. I know that the leather did not change and that before I lost fat I could not even fit it around my waist. Now I wear it at 2 notches and it helps me to see and remember that I have changed.
amyniagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:42 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 162/132/130

I can totally relate to this. Before IP - I would avoid looking in the full length mirror when getting ready, mostly just using the chest up mirror in the bathroom when getting ready. SO I really did not think I looked like I had packed on pounds. Did not shop much, and if I did I would just pick up something, bring it home try it on - without mirror and if it fit, keep it. I had an eye opening experience back in the fall - had to go try on dresses for an event - so I had to go in dressing room, try on and see how it looked. I was floored when I saw what I actually looked like. It definitely freaked me out! SO started IP, and continued to wear "those" clothes till they were falling off. I find it hard to shop now - even tho I know that I am way smaller - I want to gravitate to the larger sizes. So the only way I will shop now, I make myself go in dressing room and try things on in front of the full length mirror. I make myself see what I look like with the new clothes on. I'm sure at some point it will sink in!
rubyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:02 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 200.8/186.8/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losingtime View Post
I can completely relate to this, I was shocked to see a picture of myself recently...it doesn't happen too often that someone gets a full body picture but I was way bigger then I pictured myself and its scary because I've lost 30 pounds!
Ditto this! I was disapointed with a pictures from FIL's memorial and Easter. I thought I was actually slimmer than I appeared in the pictures. I was quite discouraged to see that I still look "chubby". It convinced me to lower my goal too.
Susie_Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #12  
09/15/10

S/C/G: 246.8/161.4/156

Height: 5'4 1/2

I can relate to how difficult it is to see your self in a new light. I still have trouble seeing my self as a thinner person. Does anyone else have this problem, when I am fully dressed I can look at myself and say "yes I see the difference and it is good," but when I am not dressed I tend to see the same old me when I weighed 80lbs heavier.
ginBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #13  
Kathy

S/C/G: 165/120/120

Height: 5' 1"

Yep I can relate I tend to focuse on my flaws. My pouchy belly or my flappy arms and when I use the bathroom I always notice the size of my thighs so that is like a constant reminder. Lots of water = more bathroom breaks = more oppurtunities to see my lovely thighs.
Alaskaipjourney is offline   Reply With Quote