Alternachicks - Period Alert!! Queen Bee calling all cars. Come in, please.

ellis
12-31-2002, 08:55 AM
Thank goodness for this board, because I could have sworn I just had my period about a week ago. All I have to do now is look up my last period on the thread. :D
Sure enough... right on schedule. Damn it. :mad: Come on, menopause!!

Ruthxxx
12-31-2002, 10:12 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Be careful what you wish for. You may get it. Menopause is not exactly a bowl of cherries, to coin a phrase.

ellis
12-31-2002, 10:31 AM
Anything's better than bleeding for 5 days. How quickly you forget, Ruthie. ;)
The ruined underwear, the ruined sheets, the ruined jeans...
The achy pain, the bloating, the headaches, the *****iness...
The smell, the frequent bathing...
Inserting a tampon, bloody fingers when leaving the cubicle in a public restroom...
BLAH!!!

katrinabgood
12-31-2002, 12:23 PM
Ahhhh....the joys of womanhood!
If you're getting yours, I'm right behind you, ellis...I thought I was a little *****y...maybe the holidays tempered that a bit, but I know I was definitely getting those, "BACK OFF, MOTHER :censored: feelings at work!
not VERBALIZED...I'm too much of a lady for that!

Wanttolosealot
12-31-2002, 02:20 PM
Just finished mine on Saturday! Yeah! I know what you mean about feeling like we just got over it a week ago, I felt like I was very early, however, looking back I guess not.
Virginia

VelvetCyberpunk
12-31-2002, 04:52 PM
Just finished mine yesterday. I am so glad to be over it! Hang in there honey, you'll be over it soon.

squeaker
12-31-2002, 06:07 PM
Day 1 here too. I forgot. You would think it would be hard to forget if you are on the pill, but this morning I just thought, "Oh yeah, I'm on the last week aren't I". :p

ellis
12-31-2002, 06:47 PM
Oh, for goodness sakes!! You mean I'm NOT the Queen Bee!!! :D
I succeed my title to Virginia. Or did you start FIRST, Velvet!? :lol:

Kat, who the heck ever told you that you're a LADY!? heh heh ;)

Lidian
12-31-2002, 11:06 PM
Well, I am in mid-cycle according to the calendar but I feel bloated and cranky and mean anyhow! Feels like that period is either here, just was here or is just about to arrive again - like an irritating relative who is always dropping in! I want menopause too, but I recall my mother's amazing hot flashes in her 51st summer (poor woman) and am sure it will be the same with me...
I keep thinking "Lordy, I've been into this since I was 12 years old - what else have I done for 28 years ?!"

What an accomplishment! (sound of ironic, cranky snorting laughter, not elegant at all!)

Lidian

Wildfire
01-01-2003, 12:43 AM
I'll be with you all on Tuesday, unless I skip again. I've had only one in the last five months. Doctor said nothing seems wrong, offered to switch my BCP, but I've been on the same ones for 15 years, I'm not messing with them now! She said if it's bothersome we'll do something, otherwise not to worry. Yeah, it's REAAALLLL bothersome..... :D

soozie
01-01-2003, 04:11 AM
ELLIS....me too...I was just thinking I couldn't be PMS because I had my period a couple of days ago...but, nooooooo, I am PMS. Congrats on not being the queen bee. You are now demoted to drone like the rest of us! or is it only males who are drones???

ellis
01-01-2003, 10:36 AM
Believe me hon, right now I'd be HAPPY to be a drone (male)!

Wildfire, you lucky ducky. Is that menopause hitting you? The only thing is, when I eventually start skipping them I'm going to be TERRIFIED that I'm pregnant. And will have some sort of massive panic attack.

Wildfire
01-01-2003, 12:15 PM
ellis, I hope it isn't menopause yet...I'm only 33! :eek: I skipped three months in a row. First month didn't concern me, as being on the pill for long, it happens probably a couple of times a year. Second month I got the "what ifs", but again, two months in a row has happened before. Third month I bought a preg test, but it was negative. I was in for my physical in November, and had a normal period two weeks before, which would have been four months if I'd skipped it. Doc said as long as I'm feeling fine, not to worry. She said it's probably just the hormones I'm taking might be a little strong now, as I'm getting older, and that's when she offered to switch me to another brand. I'd rather skip a month or two than have to switch and start worrying about getting pregnant! If they ever tell me I have to stop taking the pill, I'll be scheduling a tubal, because I DO NOT want any more ankle biters. Living with a 15 year old with an attitude definitely reinforces that every day!

Also, being on the pill forces you to go for yearly physicals, 'cause they won't renew your prescription unless you go in! It's right up there with root canals on the fun meter for me, but at least I HAVE to go, otherwise I know I'd find all kinds of excuses not to! And that's not a good thing.

ellis
01-01-2003, 12:25 PM
Oh Wildfire... pardon me... I can't keep track of all these ages. I'm so embarrassed. Forgive me... down on my hands and knees...
I'm 37, and starting to experience symptoms...

I had a tubal when I had my second c-section. My doctor said, "Why don't you wait until later in case (god forbid) something happens to the baby?" HUH! What a joker!! Screw that!! Not only that, but I made my husband have a vasectomy. If I DO get pregnant, it'll be an act of God.

Wildfire
01-01-2003, 01:01 PM
:lol: No problem, ellis! It was a logical assumption!

soozie
01-02-2003, 03:00 AM
Ellis, what a lovely comforting thing for a doctor to say...holy cow! what a thing to say to a nearly due pregnant woman...!!!!!!!!!

katrinabgood
01-02-2003, 09:08 AM
Right behind you ellis...I knew I should have stuck some tampons in my purse when you mentioned that you got yours! :devil:

Ruthxxx
01-02-2003, 10:06 AM
Do you realize that dogs only get their period every six months. Lucy is due in March. We'll see if she coincides with the Alternachicks!

Since I haven't had a period for 10 years, I'm feeling a bit left out!
Sure doesn't bother me much, however! :D :D :D

ellis
01-02-2003, 11:02 AM
Poor Kat. :cry: Listen, I'm out of tampons again, hon. Please mail me a box. :D OB. Supersize.
And how are all you other period girls?

Ruth, I want to be a dog. (although I can't say the idea of giving birth to a litter of nine exactly enthralls me) PLEASE don't feel left out! I would join you if I could.

Okay, anyone settling down for a cozy read with a low-fat muffin and a coffee... remove yourself to another thread, because I am about to relate the saga of YESTERDAY!!

By yesterday afternoon, little DS was eating again. No more puking. By 6 pm, mommy here was puking her heart out. That on top of having my period. I lay in bed being violently ill until 2 am. Oh, a word of advice... when you have stomach flu, I do NOT recommend having a hot bath. It tends to cook whatever is left in your stomach, causing your next heave to be most particularly unpleasant.
My sweet little children brought me water up at midnight. DH was playing on the computer, and didn't realize his wife was dying 2 floors up.
DH came up at 2 am. At 4:30 I was lying in bed wondering whether to get up and grab the bucket again when I heard my poor DD being violently ill in her bed. Naturally I poked that lazy ol' DH in the ribs and made HIM get up!! You know, the sound of someone else heaving really gets you going again.

I've never seen so much dirty linen in my life. Except for the time when we all had head lice.
And I've never been so sick in my life. This is a killer flu. I had no idea how miserable DH and DS were. I just wanted to die last night.

Soozie, my condolences. You weren't explicit enough, and I just didn't think it was that bad. Thank goodness it's over for you!

I'm dying for a coffee, but I think I'd better stick to water. curses.

love to all...

squeaker
01-02-2003, 01:27 PM
Sorry you are so sick Ellis. :(
I would send ya a box of OB but I don't use 'em. Hope you feel better soon!!

I am just home with an awful stuffed up nose, sore throat, and little sleep. Feels like a sinus thing.

Wildfire
01-02-2003, 01:55 PM
Oh no, ellis! I thought you'd escaped the stomach flu! Poor thing. I hope the worst has passed! Try to get some water in you. Even if it doesn't stay down, it's better than having dry heaves. Get yourself to bed (or couch) and try to sleep. Feel better!

Wanttolosealot
01-02-2003, 02:13 PM
Oh no Ellis,
I am so sorry you are ill. Wish I lived handy so I could help you out. Take care of yourself, it is a nasty flu! Will be thinking of you and wishing you well.
Big hug
Virginia

Punkinseed
01-02-2003, 02:35 PM
Oh Ellis... the stomach flu is the *worst* - I hope you and the whole family feel better soon!

I'm with Ruth on the whole period thing - I haven't had one since Feb. '94 thanks to Depo Provera. Don't miss 'em at all. Even when my "Earth-y" friends call it their "moon time" and how it reasserts their femininity - eh, you can keep it - I know I'm a woman without all the mess n' pain...

Terri

ellis
01-02-2003, 05:01 PM
You sweet Squeak, Wildfire, Virginia, and Terri. I think I'm on the mend (knock knock). Haven't been sick today, although I'm still a little funny (you know) and weak.

Squeak, you bundle up and keep warm. And don't let that sinus thing go on for too long with getting some anti-bios. That can be SO painful!! hugs, hon.

Wildfire, did you have this too? See, I'm so anal until I actually experience the pain MYSELF! :( Sorry, hon.
I've just had a lovely nap, and I'm drinking LOTS of water! Uh huh... those dry heaves are really something, aren't they.

Virginia sweetie, if you knocked on my door right now to help I'd yell at you to go away, because I do NOT want you to catch this!! But I wish you lived closer, anyhow. :)

And thank you, Terri, hon!! Hey, I hate that "femininity thing", too. Blah. It's just an excuse to try to make themselves feel better about the whole thing. It does NOT work for me!!

Thanks again for all your lovely thoughts, you lovely girls.
xoxo
:grouphug:

dentrassi
01-02-2003, 09:43 PM
Okay, another day or two and I'll be doing PMS (progesterone mood swing)

soozie
01-03-2003, 11:17 PM
Ellis love, So sorry you got it...it was **** wasn't it? I called DP at work on Christmas Eve day and told her she had to come home. Remember she works at a supermarket...leaving on Christmas Eve is a no-no. But, I called from the bathroom floor. I was just lying there on the floor, unable to move and little DD was home. I just felt horrible. The floor was cold and I was having a hot flash so it felt good. I kept being hot then cold and achy and restless. It was bad! Joints ached. Yuck.

My doc said don't drink plain water. One, for some reason people tend to just puke it right back up and also she said if you can get anything down it should be something a bit more substantive. She recommended watered down Gatorade as a first choice and flat watered down ginger ale or 7up as a second choice.

I felt really weak for a couple of days afterward. Like you Ellis. And then I got Squeek's sinus thing. I still have that but it is delightful compared to the puke thing.

Anyway, take care girls.
Hope you all will soon be well!
Love Soozie

katrinabgood
01-03-2003, 11:38 PM
Oh my....all this sickness! I hope everyone is feeling better. That stomack flu is all over the place...it's all you hear about lately. Thanks be to God, it has passed us by so far. Gosh, ellis, you paint a vivid picture!! I wish I could bring ya some Gatorade along with those OBs.

Please FEEL BETTTER, all you sickly chicklies!

some people go to great lengths to lose weight, don't they?

I'm KIDDING, I SWEAR!

dentrassi
01-03-2003, 11:56 PM
Hope you are feeling better Soozie and Ellis.

ellis
01-04-2003, 10:00 AM
Now THAT'S more explicit, Soozie!! :yes: You poor girl. It was quite dreadful. One good thing... we won't be getting THAT one again! I pity all my friends who say with a satisfied smirk, "No, didn't get it!" Because I just know it's coming their way.

I know what you mean about the bathroom floor. It's funny... I'm very fanatical about germs, but when I'm sick like that, WHO CARES!! My son was disgusted to see me lay my head on the toilet seat while being sick. heh heh.
Gatorade, huh? Oh yuck. I DID eat saltines with the water. :D

Thank you Kat, and Den!! :) You sweet things, you.
Yes, Kat... I DID lose several pounds, but I see I've put them right back on again. sigh.

Soozie, I hope you get rid of that sinus thingy soon. Look after yourself, hon.

dentrassi
01-04-2003, 02:50 PM
Sounds SO nasty. I'm just afraid I'm going to get it Monday morning when I have to drive the kids to school......

ellis
01-04-2003, 05:55 PM
Just push them out of the car and peel out!!

barefootgrrrl
01-08-2003, 10:10 PM
oh yes......eek - sorry to hear about all the sickness lately!

let me wave my fairy paganwand of health and wellness over all of you.......seriously - not to preach or anything, but I find it helpful during these winter months to take immune booster vitamins and stuff like that........... it seems to help - but hey! I've got my fingers crossed so as not to jinx anything - pagan spell or not! LOL

Thanks for sounding the alarm again this month, Ellis.

I started the five day countdown - and made it to 7 as of yesterday when I got my monthly notice.

It was weird though this time - no cramps, no warning signals of any kind - that ever happen to anyone else ?
(and I don't take the pill or patch or anything - use mechanical methods over here!)

Terri

ellis
01-08-2003, 11:01 PM
Yeah, Terri... that happens to me all the time now. (I've never been on the pill.) No warning at all. You'd think I'd write it on the calendar, but NOOOO! I'm too darned disorganized. Actually, I think I'm simply disinterested. :lol:

I DO know when I'm ovulating now. I've been able to tell for a few years now. It feels JUST like I'm having my period. :rolleyes:
What a life.

dentrassi
01-09-2003, 02:18 PM
Terri-I NEVER used to get cramps!!! Used to think women who complained about 'em were sissies......I learned the hard way that THAT isn't true!!! JUDGE NOT OR YOU'LL HAVE TO LEARN THE HARD WAY!!!!

Ellis-Remember all those nice new undies I bought? ONE OF 'EM NOW HAS BLOOD STAINS!!!!!

ellis
01-09-2003, 04:02 PM
Oh Den... I hear ya, hon. I think underwear should be disposable. (forgive me Mother Earth) Did you hear that? I've just given someone with bucks an INCREDIBLE idea, and they're going to make a fortune. Remember... you heard it here, first!

I suppose they'll also have to make disposable thongs. By the way, what happens when you're wearing a thong and you get your period? Sounds scary.

dentrassi
01-09-2003, 09:18 PM
YES!!! They could be like those disposable training pants for toddlers, but with a built in sanitary napkin. We would NEVER have to worry about leaks again!!!

ellis
01-09-2003, 09:26 PM
Exactly! :yes: But thinner!

Merrylegs
01-09-2003, 09:35 PM
Definitely wouldn't work as a thong!!:lol:

ellis
01-23-2003, 09:16 PM
Okay, I just had my period 23 days ago. This just isn't right. I'm all out of tampons again too, for cryin' out loud! Kat? Extras, please?

Wanttolosealot
01-24-2003, 12:32 AM
Just started mine yesterday too Ellis! I guess it is better than not starting however, love my kids but want no more.

ellis
01-24-2003, 08:12 AM
Yes, there's always THAT to be grateful for, Virginia! :D

ellis
02-16-2003, 10:08 PM
guess what I just got!!!

Something's wrong. I just had this 24 days ago! Well, at least I have tampons this time. And strep throat. And a sinus infection.

Wanttolosealot
02-17-2003, 10:53 AM
Nope you are right on schedule Ellis, I started mine on Friday! Is'nt is wonderful.
Virginia

Lidian
02-17-2003, 11:37 AM
I feel like I am always having it or am about to get it! It takes about 3 days to decide to start up properly and another 5 to finish up altogether. And it is always the week when I have extra stress like field trips with the first graders or complicated errands or desperate searches for some crucial lost library book, anything that requires me to exert myself in an unrewarding fashion!

I am usually out of tamopax too, giving in yet again to the delusional fantasy that I stocked up after the last OB emergency (as if I was able to think that far ahead at any time, never mind at a hormonal time!)

Lidian

ellis
02-18-2003, 02:31 AM
Virginia darling, I DO wish you'd let me know when you get your period so I don't get surprised by MINE! ;)

Lidian, do you use OB, too? I love buying the box of 40. It's so small. :D Although it's irritating when I pull out a bunch of change at the cash and a little tampon comes with it. Causes my daughter vast embarrassment, but I no longer give a damn myself. :lol:
But why the heck can't they make unbleached tampons!?

Lidian
02-19-2003, 02:53 PM
Yes Ellis, I love the OBs - and unbleached ones would be great! I would have an eco-period...only they are so expensive - mind you all that stuff is. When I finally get to menopause I am going to have more cash to spend and I am going to buy me some fine vintage goodies every month instead of OBs!

Oh hang on...I have 2 girls. When I am 50 they will be (counting on fingers here...long pause) uh oh, they will be 19 and 16. Well, the elder will be maybe at university but the 16 year old will be at home - and guess what they are gonna need lots of? OBs!! And they will be PMSing while I am having hot flashes (my DH may run screaming from the house unless the 2 female cats bar the door! He is the only male in the house, hee hee - majority rules!)

We could always send HIM out for the OBs. He is a modern guy, he's done it before - only he always came back with the wrong kind of pad - I would say, its the Always LONG with wings and super strength and extra so and so, and he's come back with teeny wingless whatevers. Actually that sounds a bit like there's a bad joke or two waiting to be made but I am too tired to make em. Consider the jokes made!

And I still haven't got a supply in for next time!

Lidian

dentrassi
02-21-2003, 12:46 AM
ECO PERIOD? I used to use natural sponges, and found out the HARD way that when they get full they empty themselves out to refill again.......

.......and I was wearing white pants at the time!!!!!

......and washing them out to reuse them was kinda nasty too.

ellis
02-21-2003, 12:53 AM
:lol:

katrinabgood
02-21-2003, 02:08 AM
Where else can you have these kind of discussions?
I LOVE YOU GUYS!

So, ellis...I think we've gotten all fouled up here...you're early and I'm late! What the **** happened? I think the peri-menopause monster is rearing it's ugly head! HELP! I'm all set though...dh stocked up at Costco, I think he bought a gross of Tampax.

Think he's trying to tell me something?

ellis
02-21-2003, 07:34 AM
Yeah, Kat... peri-menopause. And mine only lasted 4 days instead of the usual 6 this time. Which is just FINE by me! :D

I can't imagine my daughter ever getting up the nerve to use a tampon, Lidian. I can't even get her to squeeze a pimple on her face!

Speaking of which; girls, what do you do when your young teen has blackheads? I actually DID get her to get rid of a pimple last week. I told her that if SHE didn't squeeze it, I would! She's as vain as any thirteen year old girl, yet she'll go to school with a big pus pimple on her face!
And she's got a few big blackheads, and they're driving me NUTS! Should I sedate her and take them out myself? ;)
HELP!!