Old 04-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/225/145

Height: 5'5.5

Default I am so confused

I've been attempting to count my calories for the past two weeks when I realized it was very crucial that I monitor what I'm taking in. I've had some setbacks with over-eating, but all in all I've become much more aware of what I'm taking in. The problem is, I find myself getting confused about whether or not I'm eating too much/too little, especially when I factor in my workouts (I work out about 6 days a week doing dance classes/tennis/bike riding). I've looked at some online calculators that say, based on my weight and height, I need X amount of calories to maintain my weight, (I'm 213lbs, 5'6) and they are all different! I'm soo confused! So If I should eat, say 1700 calories to lose weight, and I eat 1700, but burn 500 working out, and I'm technically down to 1200, do I need to eat 500 more calories that day?! Also, I've realized that I should probably invest in getting a scale so that I can weigh food and know exactly how many calories I'm taking in...but this seems SO tedious! Does anyone have any suggestions with this calorie counting business? Because I'm confused, and worried that I'm still eating way too much.
RndmCandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:04 PM   #2  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Why not just try the 1700? That sounds like an ok number for a starting point. What I find most important (and this is just my opinion based on how my body physically responds) is to eat to get the lean protein your body needs so you are getting the fuel for your muscles to get that fat burned. I found I was eating too many carbs and not enough protein, even when eating within an acceptable calorie range. Adjusting that has made an incredible difference in my body fat getting reduced and gaining muscle. I do measure my food with a food scale and I measure in metric for accuracy. It just takes away the guessing and washing of measuring cups.

Some people eat back the calories they burn but I don't. I need those burned calories to stay burned.

Nice to see you though. Feel free to pick our brains if it helps you!

Last edited by 4star; 04-24-2011 at 03:06 PM.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I think 1700 calories sounds about right, too. I, personally only count calories and don't add anything back. I just know the more I exercise combined with diet the better my weight loss will be ,
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:17 PM   #4  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

I also vote for trying the 1700 calories and seeing how it works for you. I have stayed at 1500 since I started and it's worked for me--and I'm a few inches shorter than you, so that sounds like a good starting point. Like the others, I never ate back my burned calories either.

In fact, I pretty much divorce exercise from weight loss entirely; it's something I do to keep my muscle weight and to feel better in general, not to burn calories. Looking at it as health and muscle retention/building helps keep me motivated more than seeing it as weight loss. It also keeps me out of the "I exercised a lot today, I have room for cake!" mindset.

As for the kitchen scale, give it a try. There are some relatively inexpensive models out there, and they make life SO much easier for calorie-counters. Turn on your scale, weigh your plate, hit the "tare" or "zero" function, add food to the plate, and voila--you know exactly how much you're eating without having to wash a measuring cup or wonder if that tablespoon was level or rounded. I find it much less intrusive and tedious to use a scale than to measure by other means.

It sounds weird, maybe, but measuring cups make me feel a little OCD in a way that weighing doesn't.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #5  
MasterHarper

Height: 5'5"

Like others have said, some people eat back their exercise calories, some don't.

Personally I either don't eat them back at all, or I allow myself a little extra, but try not to eat more than half of the calories I burned.

And yes, you do need a kitchen scale. Even when I'm not counting calories I don't know how anyone can manage without one, especially if you follow recipes.
Robsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

The only way to find out what works for you is to pick a number and eat those calories for 2 weeks or so -- writing down everything you eat or drink! Track your weight for that time and see what happens. You can always tweak from there.

And I agree, 1700 is a great starting place!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #7  
On week 124

S/C/G: 317/242/157

Height: 5'6"

I use a nutritional software that I purchased for less than $30. I bought a digital kitchen scale and later bought a mini pocket sized one that I can carry with me.

Tedious at first, but you can find ways to simplify. Digital scales have a tare function so that you can put a plate or bowl on the scale, zero out the weight of the container and add an ingredient. Keep a pad of paper and a pen to mark down the weights of each ingredient then zeroing it out before the next one.

When using a nutritional software that is purchased, it can be customized to your needs, you can choose and create what to track and after adding your favourite foods into your favourites, it makes searching much easier. I can create recipes and common meals and after using it for nearly 2 years, it takes so little time to click and add.

The other benefit is the reporting functions that help me see the over all trends, averages, progressions. I still weigh all of my foods, it is a part of what I must do to lose weight. Later, it will a part of what I must do to maintain it. No more work than brushing my teeth and just as important.
one small bowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:41 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I don't seem to be able to say anything "the short way" so I'll apologize in advance for the length. If it's any consolation, this is the "short" version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RndmCandle View Post
, I've realized that I should probably invest in getting a scale so that I can weigh food and know exactly how many calories I'm taking in...but this seems SO tedious!
A scale will give you more precise numbers, but you still won't know "exactly" how many calories you're taking in, it will still be an estimate. But that's ok, for most people, ballpark estimation works just fine.

My suggestion (for everyone, including myself) is to use the easiest, least restrictive plan that works. That way, you're never dealing with more boredom or restriction than you absolutely have to.

While a scale allows you to be more precise, that's only a help if you want and need to be that precise (you probably don't).

It's really common in weight loss "culture" to believe that diets are like soulmates. There's only one "out there" for you, and you will fail by absolutely every other method until you find your one, true soulmate.

You don't need "Mr. Perfect diet," you just need "Mr. Good Enough." Mr. Perfect may not exist. There may be two or twenty Mr. Perfects, and there may be thousands of Mr. Good Enoughs.

Remember you're not going to lose weight at a decent clip at 1700 calories and lose nothing at 1800. Your body isn't that precise. There's lots and lots of room for trial and error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RndmCandle View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions with this calorie counting business? Because I'm confused, and worried that I'm still eating way too much.
You don't have to get it absolutely, perfectly, right, because there is no such thing. Experiment, your body can handle it.

After a few weeks on plan, your scale will tell you if you've got the wrong calorie level for you, but it can't tell you that in one day, one week, or probably even two or three weeks. Don't let normal fluctuations (like monthly TOM water gain) convince you that you're on the wrong plan. Learn what "normal" is for your body.

I'd recommend you think calorie range rather than calorie target. At least that works best for me.

I personally do best and enjoy best, exchange plans for counting calories because I need the extra restriction/structure to insure a balanced diet. I get in plenty of fruits and veggies, but I tend to short-change myself on protein and calcium-rich dairy and tend to overdo starch and fruit. I learned that a person can gain weight on too-much fruit (even fresh, raw fruit).

Also, I find it easier to memorize exchange plan values than calorie counts (so while it's less restrictive in the beginning, it's easier in the long-run), because most of the portion sizes are similar. For example almost all veggie exchanges are 1 cup raw, or 1/2 cup cooked. There are exceptions, so you still may have to look up unfamiliar or new foods.

Some people don't consider exchange plans calorie counting. I consider them calorie counting plus. You may not need the plus (remember, least restrictive plan that is effective).

The biggest advice I can have is don't stress it. Go in with the calm attitude that you are going to learn what works best for you (not only in terms of weight loss results, but in terms of a plan you like and can tolerate without feeling overly deprived or bored, and in terms of feeling the best mentally and physically).

Remember you don't have just one chance to get this right (we sometimes tend to treat weight loss this way, as if our very lives depended on getting it perfect from day one). You can lose weight on a dozen plans or variations of a plan just as easily on one.

You're not going to destroy your metabolism, your weight loss or your body by experimenting. Even though there's some research evidence suggesting that yoyo and starvation dieting can have negative health consequences - mostly those effects occur over the long-haul (many years or even decades) not over the course of several weeks or even months.

Be open to the experimenting and you'll be fine. Anything you don't like, and anything you don't find effective, you can tweak and change until you find the balance that best suits you (and you can change it, if your needs change).

Last edited by kaplods; 05-03-2011 at 07:43 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:35 AM   #9  

I you want to keep your body natural figure then eat as usually and excessive everyday. I think, it is better for everybody.
sialAh1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:40 AM   #10  
MasterHarper

Hello spammer!!
Robsia is offline   Reply With Quote