Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-22-2011, 10:59 PM   #1  
The 'x3' is a heart! :)

S/C/G: 250/low 200's/165

Height: 5'6

Default I need some evaluation guys!

So I started about 3 weeks ago... I have been doing pretty well and I feel ok about it but I am so nervous that I'm not doing enough. I've never been on a real diet so I don't know if what I am doing is going to make me lose weight safely and hopefully as fast as possible. I know I need to be realistic but I am an "instant results" type of person so this is hard. I already notice the difference, my clothes are looser my face has thinned out etc. I haven't touched the scale because I refuse to weigh myself it will just make me feel bad I'm sure... I'm going to wait.

So anyway, I need help to make sure what I am doing will help me lose weight:

I eat 5 small meals a day and keep it to 1200 calories. I exercise for about 30 mins a day (hard workout) and burn like minimum 350-400 calories a day. Some days I skip because I have to, but rarely... about 5-6 times a week I do this plus I do weights as well at the gym to try and tone my legs and arms. Should this be working? Does it seem like I will lose 2-3 pds per week?
I just need to make sure I'm on the right track.... any advice would be much appreciated!
mirax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:27 PM   #2  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

Height: 5'6"

I would recommend rethinking your calories. 1200 per day is about the lowest anyone of any weight would normally go, and that's not considering what you are burning through exercise. If you started at 1500-1600 calories per day you could gradually reduce that amount as you lose weight. If you hit a plateau you will have an option to reduce at that time, but if you are already eating 1200 you don't have any wiggle room. If you do try this I would suggest weighing in at least 1x per week so you will know if the calorie level is working for you. Best of luck!
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:03 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

You've already dropped 15 pounds. That's 5 pounds a week. I get that you are excited to be losing but its still early and the beginning is always the easiest part so seriously don't burn yourself. Eat more calories, 1400-1600 at least, and don't weight lift everyday it's bad to max out the same muscles two days in a row. Try not to set your body on a schedule it will take off weight where and when it wants to just stay consistant and make changes you know you can live with for the rest of your life.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:58 AM   #4  
shwerk

S/C/G: 274/158/145

Height: 5'7"

i personally like the 1200 calorie diet and if you're comfortable with it, i say you stick to it. don't worry about a plateau until you hit one, and from there you can try increasing your exercise and try out calorie cycling for a period of time. your workout sounds fine, and judging from how much you've lost so far, i'd say you're doing pretty good!

i would recommend measuring yourself, though! it's fun to see the numbers go down and it's a little easier to track where you're at rather than weighing.
gagalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:14 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5.5

Hmmmm that whole plateau thingy...once I hit it....the **** I will lower my calories. I tried the 1200 before and had to go back to 1500-1700 (not counting my "free....eat all you need-cheat day")I'm gonna try that PX 90 thingy or whatever instead. I hear it's hard to plateau on. BEST OF LUCK!
mochi74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:18 AM   #6  
Bells For Her

S/C/G: 156/112/105

Height: 5'1 and a half!

To put it in perspective, I'm 5'1 (and a bit!), 140 Ibs, I do less exercise than you and I'm eating between 1300-1400 calories a day. I think you're under eating which may make it more difficult later on.
belmagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:19 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

The problem with eating 1200 is that while it results in faster loss in the short-term, eventually your metabolism adjusts and you are stuck. On the days you work out, try throwing in an extra high protein snack. Good luck and great job so far!
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:33 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I agree that your calories may be too low. Think of what you want to do in the future, I am sure you do not want to stay at 1200 calories. You need something you can live with longterm. This is a life change. I f I were you I would try 1500-1600 calories a day.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #9  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

If you're working out hard on a 1200 calorie diet make sure to get your protein in b/c you don't want to prevent your body from metabolizing muscle. There's no point working out if you aren't giving your body the fuel it needs to feed that muscle to perform.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #10  

Thanks guys so much!

@Angie- you guys are really making me rethink my calorie intake... i think i'll aim for 1400 does that sound about right? i still want to lose weight I just want to be able to maintain it later! You are right I should weigh myself but I have scale fright!!!

@niafabo- yeah I think I have gotten into a schedule and my body is going to end up doing what it wants anyway. I'm shooting for a complete lifestyle change instead of just dieting and then go back to my old ways

@gagalu- wow girl! you look great in your picture! definitely looking nice and slim good job! I am more concerned with getting to my plateau then worrying about it now. But I know later on I'll be kicking myself if I hit it and can't lose and more.Thanks I'll try the measurements! Unfortunately I never measured before I started losing but I can always start now

@Mochi- Thanks! Heck yes I am definitely going to try P90x later on... usually I think those types of things are dumb but I've heard great things!

@bel- so would you recommend around 1400? I am definitely afraid of the plateau :P

@juliana- Thanks! Good job to you too! Call me dumb but I had no idea that your metabolism adjusts :/ Uh oh that makes me worried now! Definitely increasing the cal intake...

@4star- How many grams of protein would you recommend? I try to eat a lot of lean meats and sometimes before working out a grab a a protein bar.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

My baseline is currently around 1350/day, plus about half of the calories I burn on exercise days. Over the last 2 months I have averaged 2.2 lbs per week. I have a desk job, so if you are on your feet a lot during the day you may want to go a little higher.
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:26 PM   #12  

I work at a daycare and I am on my feet or squatting down down to kid level all the time... I want to try 1400 to see how I do. I am just afraid the weight will not come off as fast
Old 04-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

I try to go at least 1400-1500 cals a day, and it's been working for me. Sometimes I go to 1600, but rarely. 1200 does seem low. I did a 1200 cal diet once and it wasn't sustainable. I was starving 24/7. I also eat 5-6 small meals a day, and that helps with the urge to snack because I feel like I am always eating! I also exercise everyday, but sometimes I get less cals than you. But then, those are my rest days. Anyway, just keep in mind also that when you start a diet, you lose very fast the first month or so. Then, it levels out to a slower rate. Do not let this discourage you! There is no magical thing you can do to make the weight melt off of you overnight, or in a couple of months, and if you have too low cals that def. won't help! But, 1400 is a good cal level. Go for it!

Last edited by fatferretfanatic; 04-23-2011 at 01:08 PM.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #14  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I have a slightly different take on this.

If you're satisfied with 1,200 calories and you're eating a mixed diet with 80g of protein minimum per day and lots of veggies than there is no reason to increase your calories.

Yes - it is possible that at some point you will stop losing but it is also possible you won't. If you do stop losing it is not time for reducing calories it is time for a diet break. I am a big believer in taking breaks every 2-3 months.

The real key is if you are satisfied on 1,200 calories - or not. If not - you're setting yourself up for a possible binge and you should eat more.

As for exercise - I would suggest lifting 3x a week. I would also stay away from "arm exercises" and instead do compound exercises that work major muscle groups + arms. Upper body - chest press, shoulder press, seated rows, lat pull downs. Those four exercises will hit your entire upper body. Lower body leg press, calf raises, leg curl. For abs I'd suggest planks. 3x a week full body. 2 sets of 12 reps on each exercise and increase the weight slightly every workout. Start light! The whole workout should take 30-40 minutes max. Finish with 30 minutes of cardio. Non lifting days keep cardio to 30-45 minutes or don't do it all all. Excessive cardio is not productive and it doesn't burn that many calories.

Diet dictates your fat loss, excercise builds your muscles and increases your cardiovascula health.

If you follow my plan for 3 months and you eat 1,200 calories a day you will look like a completely different person.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #15  

@John- I am feeling satisfied with 1200 a day but I am definitely afraid of eventually hitting a plateau. I am not sure how much protein I am eating a day but it is definitely not 80g. If I eat 80 g on a day I don't exercise will that just make me gain weight? My metabolism is pretty awesome luckily, I am only 20 and I am not in too bad of shape but I have been focusing my efforts mainly on cardio. I guess I will have to try some of those weight exercises. Should I keep the weight light and do more reps?
Thanks for your advice!