General chatter - Heavy Cream, Bacon and Hot Dog Diet is Life Saving!

Amberelise
04-22-2011, 10:50 AM
I watched an ABC News clip last night about the Ketogenic diet to treat childhood epilepsy.

One child was on the diet and after a year not only became completely cured, but he was able to go back to a normal diet afterwards. It doesn't work for all epilepsy sufferers, but the amount it does work for is amazing.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/ketogenic-diet-high-fat-diet-treat-seizures/story?id=13366995

I found this to be highly interesting, so I thought I would share.

beerab
04-22-2011, 11:03 AM
It makes total sense because the body doesn't have that ready supply of carbs. And I doubt any kid would complain that he has to eat hot dogs and bacon!

alicia89
04-22-2011, 06:50 PM
Ugh, I totally get the low-carb, high-fat thing, but should the meat they're consuming really be hot dogs? The vast majority of hot dogs are full of artificial crap - fillers, preservatives, chemicals and "flavourings". Why not natural grain/grass-fed beef or pork? Ya know, REAL meat?

On a random side note, the children's book When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead deals with an epileptic character and her "special" (ie. ketogenic) diet in a beautiful, sensitive, positive way. Awesome book!

mochi74
04-23-2011, 01:29 AM
Heavy cream and bacon....drooling....veggie dogs! At least I know whats in 'em :P

Ekicna
04-23-2011, 06:14 AM
Actually, a lot of studies show hot dogs are not good for epileptics because of the nitrates in them. My sister has been epileptic for most of her life.

Astrida
04-25-2011, 07:24 AM
sounds intriguing lol... bacon and hot dogs cant go wrong with that! :)