Weight Loss Support - Devestating numbers.. but I wont let it get me down!

WendeeLou
04-21-2011, 09:13 PM
So- last week, April 12th to be exact I had a weigh in at the gym. I didnt look at the numbers then- why I have no idea.. I kept trying to remember to look at them, and kept forgetting.

Well, today I looked at them.. Let me tell you first that I have been on my weight loss journey since July 2010. My weight in July was 186. I was consistant in calorie counting and excercise until November..I was about 170ish then. The holiday's came and as an italian family does, we ate..and ate.. and well, I gained all the weight back.. minus 3 pounds, weighing 183lbs.

January I decided I wasnt going to live this life anymore. I have hypothyroidism, so along with being over weight, I hated my life. I had trouble waking up in the morning, trouble staying awake in the evening. I didnt want to do anything, not even play with my son. I hated going out, could never find anything to wear.. and the list goes on and on..

I started going to Zumba 3 times a week, a strength training 2 times a week and either yoga or yoga chi once a week. I was doing pretty good.. got back down to about 175lbs.. on February 15th I started a "bootcamp" that practices tabata style training. We do circuit every mon-wed-fri with strength training mixed with cardio, and kickboxing tue-thu-sat. I currently weigh about 168.. bouncing around a bit..up to 174. And I am okay with that..

What I am NOT okay with is my numbers. 42.2% body fat (20%-30% is acceptable 10%-20%- athletic) and my body age is 42... FOURTY-TWO?!?!?! I am 23 years old! I do not by any means feel 42. I actually feel very fit.. and young. I have been doing 2X a days for a month for goodness sake!!! At first I was mad:mad:, then I felt like giving up:(.. why work so hard when it doesnt show anything.. then I cried:cry:.. Literally Big crocadile tears.. and now I am just angry that I let myself get here... This is it. Game over:nono:...This is unacceptable and I need to get it figured out ASAP. Im so angry:censored: its motivating and has completely lit a fire in my belly.. my 42.2% body fat belly... I wish you could see me as i type this... GRRRRR...:tantrum:

Annnnnnnnnnd Vent is done..:soap:
Have a goodnight everyone...:)

berryblondeboys
04-21-2011, 09:22 PM
There is no way you are 42 percent body fat. I'm just about the same height as you. Weigh 220 pounds and I'm not 42 percent body fat and I have a LOT more flab on me than you.

Who did the test? was it a caliper test? or a scale? If it was a scale - it's wrong and they are known to be TERRIBLY inaccurate - especially for women.

Don't beat yourself up... something is just amiss here.

sacha
04-21-2011, 09:24 PM
You really need to let go of the numbers, hugs.

First, 10% is not athletic body fat for a female. It is practically essential body fat levels, long after you would lose your period and cannot be sustained for more than a few days. A woman on a competitive (high level) body building stage may be 10% - and that's not bikini, not figure, but full on body building.

So right there, the numbers are confusing you. A body age is not very scientific - remember, gym numbers are frequently fudged to keep you as a client too.

You are feeling better, working out harder, and feel younger - AND YOU ARE IMPROVING!. Then THAT is all that matters.

shcirerf
04-21-2011, 09:25 PM
:hug:

You're on the right track. Now take a breath and make a commitment. Track, journal, count your cals, food choices, and your exercise. And then use what you learn from that to help you out.

It may take awhile to get it all figured out, patience is the key. I know you can do it!:carrot:

shcirerf
04-21-2011, 09:28 PM
Oops! I didn't check your stats. No way are you 42% body fat.

4star
04-21-2011, 09:31 PM
It's great to get motivated. You are already doing some really challenging workouts. Just remember, hydrostatic weighing is the only true way to test body density so try to put that 42.2% into a +/- perspective. I honestly don't know where they got that number. That's higher than mine by the regular calculator and the Navy calculators so I think it's skewed. There's just no way you're in good enough shape to exercise that much are at a 42% body fat comp...just don't see it...but if you can use it for your benefit, go for it! :)

milmin2043
04-21-2011, 09:40 PM
Try this and see what body fat number you get.

http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html

Heather
04-21-2011, 09:53 PM
I'm confused, did you do a body fat assessment AND a body-age assessment?

Second, how did they conduct the body fat test? Do you have a "before" to compare it to?

berryblondeboys
04-21-2011, 09:57 PM
It sounds like my scale... And I stopped using it as every time it gave me something radically different.

So please ignore the body fat calculating scale. It's WRONG. See if someone at your gym is qualified to give a caliper test. And even then,.... Have them recheck as those can be done wrong too.

Dilli Doo
04-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Something smells fishy here ... I agree with everyone else, there is no way you're 42% body fat. Have that rechecked before you get too hard on yourself.

niafabo
04-21-2011, 10:33 PM
there is no way you are 42% body fat! whatever method they were using to gauge that is seriously wrong. i'm 26% body fat according to calipers and you look a whole lot skinnier and toned then me. who ever told you you had that much body fat obviously doesn't know what they are doing.

shcirerf
04-21-2011, 10:42 PM
Sweetie, you will not get an accurate body fat number from a website.

You've listed your height at 5'6" and your weight at 168. I'm 5'5" and 150. According to the 42% fat thing you have stuck in your head, you are carrying 70#'s of fat. No way!

I'm 5'5" and 150. And I'm 51! OMG! 42% of my current weight is 63#'s. There is now way I"m carrying 63 pounds of fat around. That leaves me with 87 pounds of actual body. The percentage leaves you with 98 pounds of actual body weight. These figures do NOT compute.

I picked a random site through a google search. It says I"m 25% and you are 27.2%.

As far as internet links go, the internet is a great thing, but it's a tool and only a tool. And you have to be selective, when you are searching for data, and remember to take it with a grain of salt.

I pulled the figures I mentioned from the AARP site, just random.

I work for a veterinarian, anytime we need to research new pet care info, we go to veterinary college websites, or the AVMA, or JAVMA, or sites we know are supported by the data they are spewing. For instance, Pheizer, Hills Pet Nutrition, Colorado State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital. These places have good web sites, and staff we can call and talk to.

I do business on the web, and it's way easy to suck people into what ever it is you are selling. It's up to the searcher, to sort out what is real and what is a bunch of hooey, that is just trying to sell something.

The link you mentioned is littered with affiliate ads, surveys, etc, that are trying to lure you into buying something that isn't worth diddlysquat. It's nothing more than an affiliate web site, making money every time someone clicks on an ad and buys something. Plus it makes you wade through pages and pages of click here, info there, ads, ads, and more ads.

In short, you are no more 42% body fat than I am.

HOwever, I would not give up tracking, having a journal, and sticking with it. It will be worth it in the end.

gagalu
04-21-2011, 10:50 PM
i'm going to agree with everyone else on the 42% body fat thing -- no freaking way is that accurate.

WendeeLou
04-21-2011, 11:03 PM
Milmin2043- I did that website.. put in my measurments and this was my answer (MUCH better than the thingymajig at the gym)
"You have 23.1% body fat.

You have 39.3 Pounds of fat and 130.7 Pounds of lean (muscle, bone, body water)."

They used something that looks like a scale, but it has a thing you hold out in front of you. It send the electrical currents through your body or something.. I am trying not to be upset, but I just dont understand how this can be true... I am wondering what I can do to check it.. cross referrence. Maybe go to another gym and ask for a free consult? Lol.. I dunno.

You guys are right though, I look better, and I feel better, and thats very important..

I dont have the numbers from before I started working out and such, I didnt do a weigh in until I had been there for almost 2 months.. but I have only lost 5-8 pounds since I started. I have progress pics where you can see my body and here are a few from yesterday..
http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j343/Wendeelou7/42011two.jpg
http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j343/Wendeelou7/42011three.jpg
http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j343/Wendeelou7/42011.jpg

So who knows, gals!
:shrug:

WendeeLou
04-21-2011, 11:07 PM
Sweetie, you will not get an accurate body fat number from a website.

You've listed your height at 5'6" and your weight at 168. I'm 5'5" and 150. According to the 42% fat thing you have stuck in your head, you are carrying 70#'s of fat. No way!

I'm 5'5" and 150. And I'm 51! OMG! 42% of my current weight is 63#'s. There is now way I"m carrying 63 pounds of fat around. That leaves me with 87 pounds of actual body. The percentage leaves you with 98 pounds of actual body weight. These figures do NOT compute.

I picked a random site through a google search. It says I"m 25% and you are 27.2%.

As far as internet links go, the internet is a great thing, but it's a tool and only a tool. And you have to be selective, when you are searching for data, and remember to take it with a grain of salt.

I pulled the figures I mentioned from the AARP site, just random.

I work for a veterinarian, anytime we need to research new pet care info, we go to veterinary college websites, or the AVMA, or JAVMA, or sites we know are supported by the data they are spewing. For instance, Pheizer, Hills Pet Nutrition, Colorado State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital. These places have good web sites, and staff we can call and talk to.

I do business on the web, and it's way easy to suck people into what ever it is you are selling. It's up to the searcher, to sort out what is real and what is a bunch of hooey, that is just trying to sell something.

The link you mentioned is littered with affiliate ads, surveys, etc, that are trying to lure you into buying something that isn't worth diddlysquat. It's nothing more than an affiliate web site, making money every time someone clicks on an ad and buys something. Plus it makes you wade through pages and pages of click here, info there, ads, ads, and more ads.

In short, you are no more 42% body fat than I am.

HOwever, I would not give up tracking, having a journal, and sticking with it. It will be worth it in the end.

I did not mention a website... websites say that I am less.. This was an ACTUAL test at my gym. The kind you stand on and hold these bars out in front of you.. it looks like a scale, with a cord that connects to "handle bars" you hold out in front of you. Apparently it sends electrical currants through your body or some jazz... So I am not sure what site you are referring to?

shcirerf
04-21-2011, 11:11 PM
Try this and see what body fat number you get.

http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html

You posted this link.

shcirerf
04-21-2011, 11:17 PM
I did not mention a website... websites say that I am less.. This was an ACTUAL test at my gym. The kind you stand on and hold these bars out in front of you.. it looks like a scale, with a cord that connects to "handle bars" you hold out in front of you. Apparently it sends electrical currants through your body or some jazz... So I am not sure what site you are referring to?

No offense!:hug: If I wanted an actual measurement of my bodyfat, I would not do it at any gym anywhere. I would find a reputable obesity clinic, with reputable Doctors.

K9Owner
04-21-2011, 11:28 PM
Wendee!!!
YOU ROCK!!
No way you are giving up now, gf!!!!
:dancer: Sending Zumba vibes your way!!! :dancer:

((soon 2b de-escalating ticker)) HA :D

niafabo
04-21-2011, 11:31 PM
You posted this link.

She didn't post that someone else did. I wouldn't trust that site in any case. It says I'm 21% body fat. o.o

WendeeLou
04-21-2011, 11:32 PM
Who knows.. who knows... :(

shcirerf
04-21-2011, 11:41 PM
She didn't post that someone else did. I wouldn't trust that site in any case. It says I'm 21% body fat. o.o

My bad on the link. Sorry! :hug:

chickadee32
04-22-2011, 12:48 AM
WendeeLou, I know exactly which scale you are talking about, as I have the same (or a very similar) one. It told me last night that my body age is 65 (I am 32) and my body fat over 50%, and I don't believe those numbers (the former is calculated based on the latter) for a second. My body fat percentage IS high, but it's nowhere near 50%, and yours is nowhere near 42%. In fact, my actual body fat % is less than 42%, and I'm 2 inches shorter and weigh 65 lbs more than you! Don't stess about those numbers, or treat them as accurate, really. If you'd like, you can use them as a guide to chart your progress at the gym as you get fitter and leaner - the same way you would use your weight as a guide to how your body is changing - but don't worry about the actual values. If you knew that on your home scale you always weigh 10 lbs higher than the scale at the doctor's office, you wouldn't worry when you saw that higher number on your home scale, right? Treat this the same way. It is NOT accurate, and it's not something to worry over. :hug:

fatferretfanatic
04-22-2011, 09:21 AM
Yeah, I am way over your weight and I am not 42% body fat, hunsy. Not one bit-The last time I did a body fat percentage test was at my all time highest last year and was 39%! Get this test done with calipers or somewhere more reputable! Your body speaks for itself though-you're fit as a fiddle, it looks like.

milmin2043
04-22-2011, 09:35 AM
Wendeelou-(((hugs)))
I posted the link for you as something different to take into account. If you did all of the measurements and everything, it does state that it can be off by +/- 3% points. So, you said you got 23.5%? Even if it were off by 3%, you would be at 26.5%.
Since there is really no accurate way to tell how much body fat we have (short of a pretty expensive test or an autopsy :) ), this would give you another tool. Isn't it strange how we are so quick to immediately believe that we are 42% fat because some random test says so (even though you and everyone here thinks it's incorrect), but if you come up with a better (good) answer, everyone pooh poohs it away as way too low? I guess it's kind of like how Dr Phil always said that it takes 100 "atta boys" to make up for one cutting comment. We love to hear the cutting comment. We are so accustomed to beating ourselves up over our weight and our appearance, I don't think we even realize we're doing it after a while.

I think you're doing great! Your motivation and spirit really are to be admired. Keep on the course and don't ever quit. I have to admit, at 140 lbs. when I look in the mirror now, even though my goal is 129, I don't think I have too much place to lose another 11 lbs. You have that great figure that I have always admired. Great boobs and butt baby!! I am built like a ruler and it's not so attractive. Enjoy your journey... here's to perseverence! ;)

SquidRuns
04-22-2011, 09:54 AM
honestly, I've only ever found that those devices just seem to measure how hydrated I am. I would never count on them to give an actual number. Looking at your photos, you're clearly not 42% bodyfat!

If you've been working out twice/day for the last month, then you're probably starting to look and feel a lot better. I would go by how you feel.

4star
04-22-2011, 09:56 AM

I know of 2 ways to measure body fat, calipers for gym use and hydrostatic weighing for scientific/medical use.

That sounds like a cool toy IMO but I wouldn't expect your Doctor or a medical professional to ever say "Let's use this to measure your body composition." I am also pretty sure your Doctor would laugh if you said your gym has a machine that said you had a 42% body fat composition.

WendeeLou
04-22-2011, 10:21 AM
Milmin2043- Thank you so much for your encouragment! It means a lot! I dont believe that I am 42% body fat, but this whole thing has me wondering where I really do stand.. I suppose it is hard to say..But I will just keep on truickin'. You have no idea how much your support and encouragment mean to me. If I did not belong to this forum, I honestly think I would have given up by now.. So Thank you thank you thank you!

And thank you to every single one of you! It means a lot to me to know that you guys can relate and KNOW what I am going thru with this journey. Just like most of you, this is not only about feeling and looking good, its about health! So that number completely blew me away!

Thank you again! <3

fresno26
04-23-2011, 12:58 PM
The electrical current measurements are a bunch of crap. For instance, I weighed myself once and it was like 34%....then the next DAY I weighed again after I had a bottle of water (because I could subtract the weight of the water) and it was something like 46%. Impossible. And, that being said, mine jumped 12% when I had water in my body...so maybe it's giving you an inaccurate reading based on some water weight you might be carrying around. There's no possible way.

I think the only accurate measurement is done with the metal calipers at the gym or doctor's office.

You don't let those numbers get you down, girl. Most likely they're a bunch of B.S. And even if the numbers were accurate (which they're NOT!), you look GREAT! Don't make me post a photo of how fat my *** looks in yoga pants. :)

Gale02
04-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Look at your pictures! There's absolutely no way you're nearly HALF fat. You look fantastic, very fit (and I love your confidence!) :) Keep on keeping on, you're doing a great job!

WendeeLou
04-23-2011, 03:05 PM
Thanks everyone... I went to a different gym and set up an appointment witha trainer to do calipers and measurments! So I will let yall know the result of that! I agree that I am not 42% but when I saw the number and the trainer told me it was pretty accurate.. I almost lost it! lol

stacygee
04-23-2011, 03:29 PM
So- last week, April 12th to be exact I had a weigh in at the gym. I didnt look at the numbers then- why I have no idea.. I kept trying to remember to look at them, and kept forgetting.

Well, today I looked at them.. Let me tell you first that I have been on my weight loss journey since July 2010. My weight in July was 186. I was consistant in calorie counting and excercise until November..I was about 170ish then. The holiday's came and as an italian family does, we ate..and ate.. and well, I gained all the weight back.. minus 3 pounds, weighing 183lbs.

January I decided I wasnt going to live this life anymore. I have hypothyroidism, so along with being over weight, I hated my life. I had trouble waking up in the morning, trouble staying awake in the evening. I didnt want to do anything, not even play with my son. I hated going out, could never find anything to wear.. and the list goes on and on..

I started going to Zumba 3 times a week, a strength training 2 times a week and either yoga or yoga chi once a week. I was doing pretty good.. got back down to about 175lbs.. on February 15th I started a "bootcamp" that practices tabata style training. We do circuit every mon-wed-fri with strength training mixed with cardio, and kickboxing tue-thu-sat. I currently weigh about 168.. bouncing around a bit..up to 174. And I am okay with that..

What I am NOT okay with is my numbers. 42.2% body fat (20%-30% is acceptable 10%-20%- athletic) and my body age is 42... FOURTY-TWO?!?!?! I am 23 years old! I do not by any means feel 42. I actually feel very fit.. and young. I have been doing 2X a days for a month for goodness sake!!! At first I was mad:mad:, then I felt like giving up:(.. why work so hard when it doesnt show anything.. then I cried:cry:.. Literally Big crocadile tears.. and now I am just angry that I let myself get here... This is it. Game over:nono:...This is unacceptable and I need to get it figured out ASAP. Im so angry:censored: its motivating and has completely lit a fire in my belly.. my 42.2% body fat belly... I wish you could see me as i type this... GRRRRR...:tantrum:

Annnnnnnnnnd Vent is done..:soap:
Have a goodnight everyone...:)

I agree with the fact that your numbers are wrong. Ask for another person at your gym to measure you and figure it out. My current trainer realized that my numbers from my first trainer were all messed up. There is NO WAY you are 42% body fat. I am shorter and heavier and I think around 30%.

stacygee
04-23-2011, 03:31 PM
BTW- you have a very cute figure and face and smile! Great job with your workouts...

nationalparker
04-23-2011, 05:33 PM
Does it matter what the next test shows? Will it give you peace of mind or bother you if it's not what you want?

The U.S. Navy one has been referred to as a better assessor than the BMI charts for many people and might have different figures ... (http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy) but as they state - not exact.

Don't let downer thoughts get you down!

milmin2043
04-23-2011, 09:54 PM
Thank you for posting that link nationalparker.

It is fun doing those tests. Maybe not taking them as 100% reliable, but just another tool.

LisaP916
04-24-2011, 08:25 AM
It is fun doing those tests. Maybe not taking them as 100% reliable, but just another tool.

I like to read my horoscope but I don't take it as truth. I'd view these assessments the same way.

WendeeLou
04-24-2011, 07:07 PM
I am going to have the manager of the club (who has been training for about 20 years) do a complete body composition on me! So we will see what comes out of that. We are going to do calipers and other measurments to get a better number for me.

The problem I am having with my number is that I know it cant be right.. I completely forgot about a test that was done almost 2 years ago at the club (the club and my gym where I got the 42% are not the same gym). When I got that composition done with calipers and measurments I was only at 32% BF, So I dont think that 20 some pounds and over 30 inches later, I could be MORE.

Guess we will see.. I am taking the number so hard anymore.. I am doing all that I can to get into shape, and thats really all I can do!

Thanks for all the support!! <3 I will let yall know what happens with the trainer..

milmin2043
04-25-2011, 12:15 AM
Great Wendee! Good for you. Please do come back and let us know the results. I'm interested to see how close my "astrology" websites are to your actual body weight! LOL

Keep going!!!

WendeeLou
04-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Thank you Milmin2043- will do!! <3

WendeeLou
04-27-2011, 11:21 AM
Hey all-

I have an update! This morning I had an appointment with a trainer at the club anddddd... the numbers are...

weight-173 (5 pounds up-owch)
BF%- 31.2% (11% less than the other gym claimed I was)
which means 53.63 pounds of fat and 119.37 of other body stuff.

So, in short, I am no where near where I want to be, but I am not as bad off as the other gym made me believe I was!

I decided to purchase the personal training package, so we tweaked my diet this morning, and will begin our workouts Friday! Also, my *new* trainer suggested some supplements, so I am to research those, check with my doctor and if he says it is a go, I will be set!

Our goal is to lose 2 pounds per week. I know it is going to be a struggle and probably harder than I think, but so worth it! I really want to be a healthy role model for my family! I am very excited about this!! woot woot!!