Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 01:43 PM   #1  

Lightbulb Tips and Ideas

Would everyone please post a tip or two they use to help control eating, eat more healthfully, make working out more fun, etc etc!

If I'm having a snack, I have to make a portion in a bowl and put the @#$% bag away or I'm in huge trouble.

I brush my teeth or eat a strong mint so anything else tastes icky. I have a bowl of mint Lifesavers on the counter so I can pop one in my mouth instead of nibbling as I am cooking supper.

The latest trick I've been trying is saying to myself, "OK, you can eat that, no problem BUT first eat an apple/carrot/etc. so we get a serving of the good stuff in."

I exchange babysitting time with another mom so I have a buddy who will hold me to exercising.

Don't buy the junk in the first place. Or buy a smaller bag so that I can't eat so much if I get started on it.

Talk to my friends!
Old 12-30-2002, 01:57 PM   #2  

I havn't done this yet but I am planning on having my hubby hold me accountable for everything I do. If I have to really tell him what I just shoved in my mouth I may think twice before I do it. At least this is supposed to work in theory.
Old 12-30-2002, 03:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

When I eat salad I use real salad dressing!!!!!
I would not eat salad if I had to use the fake stuff!!!!
I always have the dressing on the side in a little small container and I take my fork and stab the dressing before I stab my bite of salad and that way I get some salad dressing with every bite, but I don't use near as much dressing :-)

The other tip is WATER WATER WATER! ;-)
Old 12-30-2002, 05:27 PM   #4  

I listen to books on tape when I exercise, I only allow myself to listen while exercising, so sometimes I will exercise a little longer to hear the next chapter.
Old 01-02-2003, 01:47 PM   #5  
Fighting the Krispy Kreme

I have an entire list of things to do instead of eating that I keep taped to my refridgerator door. It includes things like exercise (although usually I don't do that one), play with my dog, read, cross-stitch, call a friend, drink a glass of water, go for a walk, get onto the computer, have sex, watch TV, chew gum, or go shopping (which is my favorite because when I try on clothes I'm reminded of how much weight I've already lost, even if I don't buy anything). Really, I just do about anything to get my mind off of food, and that seems to work!

By the way, I can't think of a single thing that makes working out more fun; I just do it. It's something I have to do if I want to lose weight. If anyone has any ideas on what they do to make exercise more tolerable, I'd love to hear them!!
Closed Thread