Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275-280/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 6.5"

Question Thyroid Test Results..please help?

I finally got a copy of my test results today but I feel really stupid and need some advice on if my numbers are truly ok (my brains fogged and elsewhere because I just had to put my beloved hamster down due to a tumor in the jaw...same thing mom died from..but that's off topic sorry )

TSH says 3rd generation (no clue what that means) and it says it's in range at 2.67. It also says " > or = 20 years 0.40-4.50"

T4, Free says in range 1.1 and reference range 0.8-1.8 ng/dL

All the letters and numbers have my eyeballs spinning. I've read that those with a TSH value over 2.0 may develop hypothyroidism in the future and should be followed very closely by a doctor. It runs in my family and I've got a lot of things that are all symptoms of hypothyroidism (looked at a whole bunch of sites and symptoms lists). Should I leave it be and forget it since they say I'm "fine"?
ilidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #2  
...Live.Your.Dream...

S/C/G: 186/180/150

Height: 5'6"

What the report says is that your numbers are in range.. which basically means most MD's wont do anything to help.

I had the same problem. Although I gained 30ish pounds in 6 months, and my thyroid was BULDGING out of my neck.. my MD in Las Vegas said it wasnt thyroid and put me on antidepressents.. I gained another 10-15 pounds on those and was now VERY unhappy.

When I went to my current MD, he obtained my records and noticed I had been checked a few times on my TSH and T4Free so we started chattin about that.. He did a little bit more extensive lab on me and noticed the variations in my numbers throughout the year. It was determined that my thyroid was completely out of wack. He started me on synthroid, and I feel 100% better.. But I do have to tell you, I didnt start losing that weight or feeling all that much better until I ate better as well as started exercising. My only advice is to keep up on your diet and exercise and if you arent in love with your MD, find one who will listen and explore options with you.. best of luck!
WendeeLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 275-280/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 6.5"

Thanks so much for the reply, it really helped! I don't believe that thyroid meds would be a miracle pill to make the fat go lol I just don't want to have the possibility of that factor making things worse for me. I'm really big on diet and exercise making the biggest change in life so I'm gonna keep working on that too. I'm lined up to try and get on a low income clinic and a doctor that will listen to me and try to help me out because I've got quite a few things I need checked up since I spent years never seeing a doc. I want to take care of myself better and stop saying "it'll all sort itself out" lol.
ilidawn is offline   Reply With Quote