Mini-Goals - Question about safe goals / weight loss???

Dog Rescue Mama
04-21-2011, 02:13 PM
I cheated on my weigh in today. I told myself I would only look at the scale every Monday so I wouldn't get easily discouraged. My goal is to loose 2.2lbs a week from 199lbs to eventually 135lbs. Well my first week I lost 5lbs. I assumed it mostly water weight and first week weight loss boost. That was Monday's weigh in. Well I cheated and snuck a peak this morning and in 4 days I lost 4lbs.

Everything I have read says I should ideally loose 1lb a week and my 2.2 a week goal is "unhealthy". I am not starving myself. I stay between 1200 and 1400 calories and eat 6 times a day using whole healthy foods. I haven't started exercising yet. I assume I will loose fewer lbs once exercising due to building muscle but I'm wondering, is loosing this much a bad thing if I'm not starving myself?

I want to be overjoyed that I'm loosing so well but want to be sure it is a healthy loss. Anyone else see this in the beginning of there diet?

Dilli Doo
04-21-2011, 02:28 PM
Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. I mean, heck, look at biggest loser, two pounds a week would be LOW for them. Everyone has something different to say on the subject. Some doctors say it's fine while others say it's not. I think it's all up to your body and how your body handles weight loss. For you, it might be normal to have this big weight loss two weeks in a row.
For me, normal is that the first week I lose a lot (this time around it was 6 lbs). The second week I gain back a pound or two. Then, by the third week, my body stabilizes a bit and I start to lose at a more normal rate. For me, that's usually anywhere from 1.5 to 2 lbs.
I say enjoy it. Stress can cause weight loss to stall :fr:

nationalparker
04-21-2011, 02:35 PM
I wouldn't worry as much at all for the first few weeks - that's when typically you'll see the biggest changes on the scale, but if it's still dropping so quickly after a month to six weeks, I'd reassess the calorie-intake.

beerab
04-21-2011, 02:55 PM
Weight loss eventually slows. On AVERAGE you want to lose 2-5 lbs a week, so the closer you get the lower the numbers get. And really, 2.2 is not unhealthy at all.

zoodoo613
04-21-2011, 03:21 PM
I wouldn't worry yet, it'll slow down. I think the slower weightloss suggestions are to try to steer people clear of the all the quick fix solutions out there, and to encourage them to make sustainable changes.