100 lb. Club - #176 - New Year, New You

View Full Version : #176 - New Year, New You

Jennelle
12-30-2002, 12:50 PM
Okay, ladies, I hope I didn't step on any toes by starting a new thread! :o

New Year, New You - It's a mantra most of us have said every year of our adult lives. After awhile, it gets to be a scary resolution: "What if I can't do it?" "What if another year passes and I'm still fat?" "What if I fail again?" Be truthful - how many of us are terrified of making that New Year's resolution for those very same reasons? :wave: I know I was - that's why I started early! :lol:

I started Body for Life today...so far, so good. I worked out for the first time in months. I'm drinking water for the first time in months. My first meal of the day was a healthy one. We talk about taking it day-by-day; I'm taking it hour-by-hour. I can do this. I have to do this. So can we all ~ so do we all.

gonzostar
12-30-2002, 02:55 PM
i like that saying, "New Year, New You." i hope to be feeling like a new me this year! :p

people always make resolutions and never stick to them. so mine are GOALS. i am going to shoot for them. david and i made 3 each. here are mine:

1. stay focused to pass all my classes and graduate by summer.

2. make my goal weight by the end of the year (i BETTER, since at a healthy losing rate, i could make it by summer!!)

3. get current on my scrapbooking projects.

his are to learn tai kwan do, write his own computer game, and get a job (when he graduates). bah. way easier.

good luck on all your resou..NO... goals this year!!!

Goddess Jessica
12-30-2002, 03:33 PM
Man, this year is scary! I'm starting school with 3 classes this semester, which means with my full-time job, I'm home very little. I'm still giving it a go though!

The thing with goals and resolutions is that you have to have a PLAN OF ACTION. Not just what you want to change but how you're going to change it.

I have a lot of plans, so here's JUST my weight management goals:

1) Stick with the AM walk/run for one hour with the puppy. Plan: Get up at 5:30am every weekday.

2) Become flexible. I have a yoga tape to start with and I plan on doing it on fridays after I come home from work.

3) Become stronger. I have a arms tape to start with and I plan on doing it Tuesdays and Thursdays before my evening class but after work.

4) Keep my weigh goals in the present and in mind. Plan: Spend Sundays reviewing my week and planning for the next.

So, there are my goals. As scary as they are on in print!

KittyMilk
12-30-2002, 06:04 PM
Well 2002 was a good year for me, a new baby and although my weight soared to new heights I am ending the year 25 pounds lighter. That took 6 months to do but I know I have made a lifestlye change and this is not a diet but a way of life, one which I hope and plan to keep for years to come. Next year I plan to get to goal, will take the whole year to get there but I'm determined to keep up my new habbits.
May you all have a safe and happy new year and remember you can achieve your dreams, go for it! :)

snowball1
12-30-2002, 07:09 PM
"New Year, New You" -- I like it! I am positively determined to be a new me in 2003; body, mind, & soul.

My goals are (in no particular order:))...

1. To reach my goal weight by January 2004. I have 50 pounds left to lose, give or take a pound. I have a feeling this will be the hard part (not that the first 90+ pounds were easy by any means!) I will achieve this goal by:
~Eating OP every day. In the past, I have planned "off" days or "free meals." Occassions may arise where I will go off plan for a day, but I'm not planning for it. It's more of a mental thing for me.
~Drinking 100oz. of water every day.
~Exercising at least 5 days per week (cardio).
~Strength training at least 4 days per week.

2. To graduate with my BS in June 2003. I'm on track to do this, but I need to keep my nose in the books to keep my grades up there. I am working to graduate with at least a 3.75 GPA.

3. Get accepted to a Master's program to earn my MBA. My goal is to start January 2004 (I'm applying after the first of the year, so wish me luck!).

4. Continue to support my husband, work on our relationship together, & on myself individually.

5. Pick back up obedience training with our puppy (I've really slacked off the past couple of months :()

I'm looking foward to the new year, a new start. I really feel like the best is yet to come. I'm sure it will be hard at times, but anything worthwhile usually is. My goal is to keep focused on the things I want and work to get them.

Sheila53
12-30-2002, 08:44 PM
Great topic. One of my goals is to live the motto "Never trade what you want at the moment for what you want most." Those are words to live by!

1. I'd like to reach my goal weight, whatever that might be, by the end of 2003.

2. Start volunteering some place as yet to be determined.

3. Do my neck exercises every day and add the weight training requirements.

4. Work diligently on my health issues so that I can try to get back to work.

5. Go to WW meetings even when I know I have gained.

anagram
12-30-2002, 09:55 PM
I'll be starting the New Year 30 lbs thinner than 2002 - well, I will if I cut out the mini binges I've had the last few days - I did well up until Christmas but not the last couple of days.

If I can be 30 lbs thinner (and hopefully more than that) by next New Year's, it will be great. I've also had much more water and exercised much more in the year as a whole.

Basically, I just want to keep on making more healthy choices and putting the old bod into better shape. Those "healthy choices" include choices for good health in mental and emotional as well as physical matters. I want to build on good relationships and make them better. I want to continue to "grow" my mind. I want to expand my horizons and be all I can be in 2003.

And I wish you all the best in achieving your goals for the New Year and thank you again for the inspiration and motivation you've given me in 2002.

Raelynn
12-30-2002, 11:45 PM
I stopped making New Years resolutions a few years ago, when I realised that mine were always the same. The top two: to lose weight and stop smoking.

I quit smoking 3.5 months ago (yay! lol), and I am over halfway to my goal weight.

My goals are to:

1. continue exercising to bring my weight down, but to be healthier also with my eating habits
2. to find something positive in every situation, no matter how bad it is
3. to apply to get into University so I can get my degree in Nursing

SuchAPrettyFace
12-31-2002, 02:56 AM
My goals are simple, really:

1) To become debt-free

2) To drop at least 4 dress sizes, if not 5

3) Not to be late to work anymore.

Good luck to everyone!! We CAN do this!!!

Charbar
12-31-2002, 09:38 AM
I am just very happy that I made the year and didn't quit! That is a first for me. Sure I could have lost more - but I am thrilled that I didn't quit like so many many times before.
I've ended the year 25 lbs lighter. If the same was to happen in 2003 I would be just as thrilled!!!!

Jenniffer
12-31-2002, 11:10 AM
GREAT thread!

I've had alot of ups and downs in my life within the last year. And I weigh a bit more than I did last New Years. I put my mental & physical needs on the back burner and just basically been going through the motions of life.

I am ending 2002 and starting 2003 with a whole new outlook. I will come FIRST once again. I will never be happy at this weight. I will never be happy not being strong and fit and healthy.

I want to be happy. AND I will be in 2003.

My ultimate goal is to wear a size 10 by 2004. No more weight goals. I am throwing out the scale. I am going to start working out daily, eating right and drinking my water. Doesn't take much more than that.

Size 18-20 jeans December 31st, 2002
to
Size 10 jeans Decemeber 31st, 2003

I CAN and WILL do it

Wishing you all the courage and determination along your journey. We can do this.

JML
12-31-2002, 01:55 PM
My goal for 2003 is to keep doing what I'm already doing weight wise, and to do my best to try to recover from the hand and back troubles I've been having. Any other goals must wait till I'm in better shape. I think the reason I lost 2 pounds this week despite my eating cookies is because my physical therapist has me doing so many exercises, and I've been making myself walk. Weak muscles only make things worse.

I'm having fun with the weight loss though. I took in a skirt that I like today. I moved 11 buttons. I'm glad my hands were in good enough shape to do it! :) I've decided to try to get contact lenses too. I want to post a new picture, but I'll wait till I get my lenses. My face is now noticeably thinner than in my avatar picture.

Sandi
01-01-2003, 01:31 PM
hmmmmm. 2003. Well I am thrilled to say that I did not top 300 in my weight gain. 297.5. Almost, but I didn't. I lost and gained in 2002 and am starting the year off 13.5 lbs heavier than last year. Somewhere I just quit trying. I did keep one promise to myself and that was to continue to post at 3FC no matter if I was losing or not. It was hard. There were times where I felt like a joke because I was gaining. But I stayed, because I know without you guys, I would have gained it all back.

I am only going to weigh myself the 1st of every month. I need to work on action and not numbers. My plan is simple. 1600 - 1800 calories. Weight lifting every day and cardio 4 times a week. Oh, and 64 oz. of water per day.

Instead of being all pumped up, I am rather scared. I have failed sooo much in the past. I don't think I could handle another failure. My only hope is that the new year will bring some new life to this tired mentality of mine. I am hoping that your motivation will bring some to me.

Here's to success in 2003!!!!

wsw
01-01-2003, 04:35 PM
Hi everyone!

I wish all of you the best in 2003! My goals for this year include continuing to lose weight and not giving up, no matter how slowly I may be losing; continuing with my physical therapy exercises as much as absolutely possible; being more patient and gentle with myself (as I would with a friend) and the changes which have occurred in my life due to MS and spinal cord damage; and check out options for where I can be the most useful as a volunteer. These are some of my goals which come to mind at the moment, anyway. Again, I wish you all a happy and healthy New Year! Take care.

wsw

jiffypop
01-01-2003, 07:02 PM
EVEN if it is a bit scary in some respects.

2002 was a year of tremendous change, improvement, and hope. i dropped from about 420 on january 1 2002 to about 250 on december 31 2002. and that from a high of 506 in september 2001.

i went from being able to walk 50 feet to walking 2 miles, swimming a half mile, and weight training.

so, i have a lot to be grateful for already, but there's more work to do.

like the last 70 pounds. everyone is saying that i'll do it by the end of 2003, but I WANT THEM GONE!!!!!

so, starting tomorrow

[B]protein: 80 grams a day
water: at least 70 oz a day
exercise: at least a 1 mile walk or 30 minutes stationary bike or 1/2 mile swimming every day, plus weights 3-4 times a week
personal trainer: at least twice a week for a little while, then weekly thereafter, because i need the help.

carbs: LIMITED to a couple of crackers/melba toast, vegs, occasional tablespoon servings of rice, whole grain bread, and a taste of dessert not more than once a week

and since i've already had three chocolate chip cookies today... i've blown this, but i'm not beating myself up.

non-food goals:

new job! because this one is making me sick, in so very many ways

sell house

get rid of debt and save more $$$

look into grad school

there. that should keep me busy, don't you think????

and notice i didn't say anything about finding a nice man. my friends and family tell me that THEY'RE doing the screening. i can hardly wait.. :?: :o :eek: :fr: :censored:

hope everyone has a fabulous year.. and all your dreams come true

debkc
01-01-2003, 11:18 PM
Hi. I just wanted to add in my "goals" for the coming year. I don't want to call them resolutions, because I tend to forget about resolutions around Jan 15 each year.:dizzy: #1 Eat healthier each day. #2 Don't beat myself up and give up when I make a mistake. #3 Exercise!!!! No excuses! I know I can do this! I wish you all a happy and healthy 2003!

Jennelle
01-02-2003, 12:59 AM
Sandi - I am so glad you said that you are scared, because I wasn't brave enough to say it! I AM TERRIFIED!!!
I am so scared that I am going to fail. I am so scared that I'm going to actually lose all this weight and just gain it back again like I have a zillion and one times before. I am so scared that I can't do this. Getting past the paralyzing fear is my first step, and I've been literally taking things one hour at a time.

Jenniffer
01-02-2003, 09:49 AM
It's a bittersweet moment when we realize were not alone. I too am terrified. But I am more than terrified to either remain at this weight or continue to keep gaining. I will use all of those emotions to keep pushing me towards my goal. There is no choice any more.

I am so proud of all of you here, I really am. You all keep me inspired daily. Wether you dropped 50 lbs his year, gained 50 lbs or remained the same, I am so proud. Were all still here, fighting our way through this. And at times, I do lose track of other's successes but....as I read these posts today...I am taken back by so many.

snowball1
01-02-2003, 10:38 AM
Okay, since other people admitted it... I'm terrified as well. I'm am positively frightened of reaching my goal weight, because then I may just gain it all right back. I've never maintained a weight loss, & there's this little voice in the back of my head saying 'you won't be able to do it this time either, Kayla. You'll lose it, & then put every pound plus some back on. You'll be fatter than ever'. *sigh* It's a never-ending battle for me, it seems.

I'm really trying to work on taking it one day at a time, though. It's hard for me, but I really want to do this. I just hope I can.

BA99TJ
01-02-2003, 01:35 PM
I'm starting to feel as though I've been giving myself excuses I couldn't. Thanks to all of you who posted on this thread. I've realized today that I'm doing a lot better than I give myself credit for and its time to stop hiding behind excuses.

#1 This is the first time I have ever succeeded losing weight, but this is also the first time I've had so much to lose!!

#2 I have kept myself at 260 or below since July. Therefore proving that once I do lose weight I CAN keep it off.

#3 When I am consistently on program I lose about 2 lbs a week (averaged). If I can keep myself on program until my brother's wedding I could conceivably be under 200 lbs by the time he gets married (July 20, 2002). I want to shoot for that.

I'm not going to hide anymore. I'm excited about this. I can do this! I WILL reach my final goal weight (170 something) by the end of this year. I've got about 90 lbs to lose. I CAN DO IT.

They say that if you tell yourself something enough you will start to believe it. I believe that we ALL Can do this. Its time to stop sabotaging myself by not believing I can do this.

I am starting over. Its a new beginning. I've changed my signature to match that this is a new beginning. I'm starting at 260. I'm ready to be the me I'm supposed to be. Are you??

My goals for 2003:

*Take this in 10% chunks - current goal weight is 234. Reward for each 10% is a new charm for my christmas present from DH - an Italian Charm bracelet.
* Earn at LEAST 3 charms by the end of 2003. (189.6 lbs)
* Be in the habit of exercising
* Walk at least 2 "sponsored" walks (Walk for Hunger, Breast Cancer or something like it)

KittyMilk
01-02-2003, 10:13 PM
It is scary to think that we can go and put all this effort in and at the end of the day if we relax for one minute .. BAM! It comes back with interest thank u very much! I suppose this is why it's called a way of life for life, not a diet a tempory thing, the changes we are making we will have to make for many many years and then some! The sooner we realize this the easier it will be.
I feel sometimes like there is a switch in my head, when I'm good I'm very good and I can be like that for months on end but when the switch triggers (like a pregnancy or someother jolt) Im bad and when Im bad I'm very bad and can gain back all the loss's and then some and then some.
I don't want to spend my life gaining and losing and always dieting. I just hope and pray I never let the trigger get switched again. I think knowing the outcome this time around helps me, I don't ever want to be huge again I can never go back to being bad simple as that ...Lets hope when the chips are down I remember all this :)
Good luck this year everyone

Kitty

Jenniffer
01-03-2003, 11:31 AM
Jiffypop....Have I told you lately how much you really do amaze me??????

Kitty..Know what you mean. When am good..am so so good. When am bad...am so so bad.

Isn't that a song??

Have a nice strong OP weekend everyone!!!

anagram
01-03-2003, 11:50 AM
Kayla, I'm so excited that you're only .8 of a pound from the 100 lb lost mark. What an achievement - you've shown you've got it and you WILL reach your goals.

So I'm saving all my energy for a REALLY BIG CHEER - let us know as soon as it happens!

anagram
01-03-2003, 11:57 AM
You're right, Jiffypop - all those goals should keep you busy. But anyone who has the determination to take off that much w eight in way less than a year and a half has the determination to take care of those other goals as well.

Goddess Jessica
01-03-2003, 12:24 PM
Lalala >pugging her ears and humming loudly< LALALA!!!

You guys can't be terrified because I AM! I got sick in December and stopped walking. And if any of you remember the one post back in Novemeber when my boyfriend set the alarm clock wrong for ONE day and I went into hysterics, you'll understand why missing my morning exercise for THREE WEEKS makes me raise my eyebrows that I'll actually get back on the wagon.

I lost 14 pounds that month. Now, I haven't gained it all back, just about 5 pounds of it. But that's the start, isn't it. It creeps back like Kudzu, or fungus... GET BACK YOU WEIGHT GAIN!! (waving a metaphorical flaming torch).

So, I make these changes in my lifestyle that are suppose to be "Life Changes." But happens if they aren't? What happens if I get there and I'm like YAY! I can STOP! And it all comes rushing right back?

Sigh. I want so bad to lose it.

You all continue to inspire me to get out there and do it. I'm really glad you're all here, even if I don't want to admit you have your weaknesses. :)

Sandi
01-03-2003, 01:44 PM
You know the 1st and the 2nd blew for me. Today wasn't going to be much better, but instead of making my breakfast choice, I grabbed a water and hid down here in my computer room until I was able to go upstairs and eat breakfast and make good choices. And that's exactly what I did. I had a good breakfast, a healthy lunch is planned, 1/2 my water is drank and I did my weight lifting video. All thanks to you guys and your posts and the inspiration that I can do this too.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! :grouphug:

Jenniffer
01-03-2003, 01:58 PM
Sandi...am SO proud of you! I know this morning was a struggle. But look, you DID IT!!

Jessica..5 lbs. Hmmm. Okay. It's time to STOP it now. Believe me, it felt like yesterday that I was whyning over a 5 lb regain. It will come back on full force in a blink of an eye. You can do this.

Charbar
01-03-2003, 02:04 PM
Sandi I'm so proud of you!!! way to go!

Jessica - I understand where you are at. In the summer I was walking about 4 times a week - 2-4 miles at a time. Now the thought of getting my coat on makes me feel sluggish.

So far so good with food today - I want to start feeling those results again!!!!

snowball1
01-03-2003, 02:45 PM
anagram, believe me, I'll let you know... I'll probably get up on the rooftop & shout it out to the world! :D

Sandi, WTG!!!! I'm so very proud of you! :) Keep it up, I know, just know, that you can do this! :)

Jessica, my friend, I hear you. Put a stop to it know... you don't want to regain all you have worked so hard to lose. BethAnne's start again poem posted here really helped motivate me... sure, we stumble, but we just have to start again. You can do it! :)

KittyMilk
01-05-2003, 11:13 PM
Great to see you working hard at it Sandi, your doing great. You;ll have days where it will seem so hard but remember those techniques to pass the time, I think you did really well and the more days you notch up it does get easyier. The first month was the hardest for me, learning a whole new lifestlye doesn't happen over night, takes time and peserverence but when you get used to it, wow it becomes so easy it's second nature :)
I've almost completed my first week doing lowcarb and am finding it excellent, it has it's downside with choice sometimes but I love not having to go hungry. I was putting all this effort in with the lowfat diet and not getting alot of results, I did the first 3 months but not so much after that and I'm hoping the change in plan will get the weight moving again.
On another topic, I got another dog on the weekend :D Now I have twice the reason to go for a walk. He's a purebred curly retriever free to good home only 7 months old! I was early enough to score him, ended up giving the lady 50$ as he was such a bargin and had had all his shots etc, then I saw today she had tried advertising him at 250$! He's settling in well and I've been walking an hour a day with him and my other dog in the morning, :)

Crushed
01-06-2003, 12:12 AM
My goals for the year are:

1. Go to the gym 4 to 5 times a week for at least 1 1/2 hours.
2. Eat sensibly
3. Stop eating for the day at 7:30 pm every day, no exceptions!
4. Remind myself daily that I am worth it!

Good luck ladies with all your goals!

Joni