Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-20-2011, 08:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 322/see ticker/160

Height: 5ft5

Angry Not sure if we over did it.....

I am 28 5ft 5 and 313. I started out at 322. My husband and I are not big into exercise obviously. Anyways we started our diet last week and have been doing a lot of walking and plan to wipe the dust off the treadmill again soon. We have an xbox kinect and Monday night we played the fitness game with the personal trainer on the game. We did a workout that included lunges, square, and steps I haven't done for ages.... Now of course our quads are so tight we can barely sit down or walk down the stairs. I am now afraid that we can't do those exercises at this point even though the workout itself felt great. Am I really to fat to exercise?
OnMyWayDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

No, absolutely NOT. You're sore because you worked out and you're not used to it. Being sore is a part of exercising sometimes. Maybe you should only do some walking tomorrow so that you can rest those muscles a bit. Exercise is definitely not a comfortable thing to do, and sometimes you get sore. Also, consider stretching before a workout to help to prevent strains and muscle pulls. However, it is good to note that when you start exercising, taking the baby step approach is a good way to get into the swing of things. I am very overweight and I run-I can't run far, nor can I run fast. When I first started, I couldn't even run one minute. Now I'm running 16-18 minutes non stop and it's going up! Don't get discouraged, just don't forget to make sure you do it at your pace.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:34 PM   #3  

For me, personally, what I've found is that stretching "cold" muscles causes them to be even more sore.

What Kinect game do you have KeysFoodie? I have Your Shape: Fitness evolved. I usually start with 5-10 minutes of the block smashing game, or the 5 minute boxing work out (I can't recall which section that is in; I think it's under "Games" but I'm not 100% positive on that).

Then do a good stretch before moving to the harder classes.

Also, because of my weight I can't do the lunges or the squats; it's way too much pressure on my knees and I've re-injured my one knee at least once by attempting them. When they come up as the next routine, I either stretch again, or just take a small breather because the routines only last for about 15-30 seconds or so.

Oh, and you're NEVER too big to start SOMETHING. Maybe that means not running a marathon right now, but that doesn't mean you can't START getting active.

Last edited by Rainbowgirl; 04-20-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Rainbowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:24 PM   #4  
going somewhere....

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/125

Height: 5'2

Default I just started also....

You are never to heavy to exercise. Its just a matter of moving....GREAT job getting moving.

I would suggest, lots of water or something with electrolites like Gatorade, it helps flush the lactic acid from your muscles. Also bananas, because of the potassium can help with sore muscles.

I agree with the stretching after you exercise, and change your routine. I have been doing pilates type exercise Tues and Thursday, and weight lifting, step aerobics M,W,F.

GOOD LUCK!!! You can do it, JUST KEEP MOVING
ready4skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:36 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

Being sore , really sore the first time you do a workout is probably normal, there is sore and then there is injury pain, keep consistent with workouts and you will start to learn the distance. I almost crave being a little sore day because it makes me feel like I am pushing myself hard enough. I don't like to be in pain but I like 'feeling that I worked out' knowing that mu body is preparing my muscles and ultimately I will get stronger from it.
silentarctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:53 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 93/78/65 kg

Height: 172 cm

I can remember being so sore after my first pump class (which I did after 6 years or so of inactivity) I didn't think I could get out of bed ... I also found it excrutiating to go the bathroom (TMI) ... I waited until I felt normal again and did it again without the soreness ....

I would just try and walk a little until your quads feel normal and then try it again .... the fact you enjoyed it is a really good sign that you will be able to keep at it ...

Last edited by HMM3; 04-23-2011 at 04:54 AM.
HMM3 is offline   Reply With Quote