Old 04-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

Default Calorie Counting in Disneyland--Is it possible???

So we are going to Disneyland in a couple of weeks. I am trying to get to 195 before we go, a new low. Anyways...I've been to the park several times, but have not been since I changed my lifestyle.

I do not plan to lose while I'm there, rather, I'd like to enjoy myself, make smart food choices, not be a pig, but have some treats now and again.

I was wondering if anyone has been lately? Good healthy places to eat? Are calories now posted at the eateries since it is law now in CA? Any tips? Hubby and I are both calorie counters, so one idea we have is to order one dinner and split it between us, since the portions are higher. It bugs me a little because I feel we'll look like cheap asses!

Thanks everyone!
fattymcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #2  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

ABSOLUTELY!!! You can always make wiser food choices...even at McDonald's! This is a lifelong journey so I think it important for us all to incorporate what we've learned and not so much to stick to a certain plan, but to just make healthier choices.

Have funnnn!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

I can't speak specifically about Disneyland, but I grew up in Florida and really do believe Walt Disney World is the happiest place on earth.

When I went last year I was only there for a day, and relatively new in my weight loss journey. What I remember is that I, like you, was trying to make good choices without being super-strict.

I know I ate breakfast before the park, which helps calorie counts AND wallets. I also remember that I was able to get a green salad as my side (instead of fries) when I had a grilled chicken sandwich for lunch. I'm pretty sure I tossed half of the bun away.

There were LOTS more healthy choices than I remembered from even 5 years ago, but they can be buried amongst the junk. My particular "downfall" that day was a huge brownie sundae that I ended up devouring with my friend. It wasn't a planned splurge, which I sort of regret, but in retrospect it showed me that I could make a poor eating choice without it derailing my entire plan. The next day I got up and went straight back to eating on plan.

As for calorie counts, Florida doesn't have that law, so I have no insight there. But it wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that there's some exception in the law for Disney - it's a huge special interest, and I'm sure could use political influence to get an exemption if they'd wanted it.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Hmmm...
Thanks for the input. I am planning on taking fiber bars, mini-babybells, 100 calorie almond packets for snacks in the park. We are also staying at a place that provides the continental breakfast, but we are just going to take the fruit and coffee and milk provided and I am bringing pre-measured baggies of Kashi and Greek Yogurts and Cottage Cheese with us. I agree with you JenMusic that it is better on the pocketbook to eat breakfast outside the park.
fattymcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/tkr/195

I was just at Disneyland a month ago - so much fun! I knew that I wan't going to stay COMPLETELY on track, but I tried to make good choices most of the time. 1) Definitely eat breakfast before hitting the park. 2) Take sensible snacks so that you aren't tempted. And take water OR order at any food station, they will give you a glass of ice water for free even if you don't order food. Also, avoid the ice cream parlour. (I didn't ) 3) There are some healthier meal choices - the meat skewers near indiana jones are great with a salad, I had a great grilled chicken sandwich (no fries!) in tomorrowland, and a decent fajita salad in CA Adventure (minus cheese and sour cream). 4) When we hit restaurants outside the park (Tony Roma's and the Jazz Kitchen), I ordered grilled fish with double veggies, no starches. At the time of my trip, there was no calorie info posted. I did okay, gained a couple pounds that came off pretty quickly... but then, I did drink a number of alcoholic drinks. Have FUN!! and say hi to Mickey for me!

Last edited by Jen516; 04-19-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Jen516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 144/140/125

Height: 5' 3"

I was at Disneyland a couple weeks ago and was surprised to see lots of fruit stands. Woohoo! Also, bring along some granola bars or energy bars or whatever you like to eat.
yoyo mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:35 PM   #7  

A friend told me that there are cold pickles to purchase inside of the park, and that she saw lots of people eating them when the weather was hot. There are different kinds, so make sure that you're getting dill or something that doesn't have flavors/sugars (more calories).

I've never been, so I can't tell you where to get them, but pickles are a very low calorie solution if you need a snack. I wouldn't exist on them (high in sodium), but I can see how they would bridge the gap between meals fairly well.

Good luck, and have FUN!
ArcticFrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:57 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

You can order kids meals - aka more normal portion sizes. Most places are either counter service or buffet style.

Here's a blog that has some good tips (http://www.socalmom.net/high_mainten...land-diet.html)
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:49 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 205/162/155

Height: 5'11"

I spend as much time at Disneyland as possible! I'm usually there 1-2 times a month and there are a few good places to to eat for (hopefully) lower calorie fare. Unfortunately, I have never been able to find calorie counts for Disney Dining and I have looked, being a long term calorie counter. The Mahi Mahi sandwich at the Tomorrowland Terrace is REALLY GOOD. You can order fruit with it instead of fries. The Mexican restaurant in Frontierland also has great fish tacos. I ask them to hold the mayo sauce though to save on calories. The chicken tacos there are also great (I have them hold the cheese on those for calories). For whatever reason though the chicken tacos taste like they are higher calorie than the fish tacos though. There are salads at most of the dining areas. They're not always good though. California Adventure's mexican dining at the Wharf is basically the same as the one in DL. If you have an iPhone, download the Mousewait app. It's free and FAB. All of the dining menus are on it as well as ride wait times etc. Even bathroom finders! The great thing about eating at Disneyland though is that you walk for MILES so you can eat a little more than usual! Have a great time! Please post if you can find those pesky calorie counts anywhere. I have been dying to know!
greencrazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:38 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Went to Disney World last summer, part of a larger 9 day trip. Lost weight as well as enjoying myself. Planning was and is my solution. Food can be brought in as well as water bottles. Bringing our own food in allowed us to spend more time doing the rides and seeing the shows. In fact, thanks to an online planner and forgoing the lines for meals, we were able to do the park in a day.

I lost and maintained while traveling. Always with a plan.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote