Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-19-2011, 04:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/210/133

Height: 5ft 3

Default Bipolar and Weight Loss

I suffer from Bipolar Disorder (type II) and take a mixture of quetiapine (an atypical antipsychotic) and citalopram/cipramil (an antidepressant). I find that I binge quite badly when I am in a depressive stage (especially because the quetiapine makes me into a total carb fiend) and no matter how healthily I eat the rest of the time these binges stop me losing a significant amount of weight. I also find it virtually impossible to exercise during depressive periods.

Does anyone have similar problems, or know someone who does, and if so can you give me some advice? It would be greatly appreciated.
Aphre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 208/141/120

Height: 5ft 4inch

hi again,
I gained 2 stone on citalopram but like i have said in posts before me and that drug didnt mix.
On Lexapro i have lost weight and every site i have looked on has said i would gain, so honey it is really done to the person taking them.
I think when i binge its got nothing to do with the pills more my state of mind at the time.
If it really bothers you talk to the doc again see of they can do any thing else.
Good luck darling x
marie81 is offline   Reply With Quote