Weight Loss Support - Warning: Rant

View Full Version : Warning: Rant

niafabo
04-19-2011, 04:13 PM
Okay people really f****ing piss me off. When I lost my first 30-50 pounds I would tell people oh I've lost a lot of weight and they would give me looks like "sure you have" but from 195 down the weight loss has been a lot more noticeable. I am still 185 and comfortably a 12 apparently sometimes a 10 in the bigger running clothes but certainly still overweight by any standard. I lose weight at a rate of 1-2 pounds per a week and I eat between 1200-1600 calories a day and even allow myself to eat 2000 calorie a day once a week if I want to just so I don't ever feel deprieved. Thing is I have horribly dizzy spells sometimes. Originally I thought it was Afib since my dad has it and my heart rate was high for awhile but I cut down on caffeine and I started meditating and my resting heart rate has calmed down to 105 which is still a little high but not the 125 it was sitting at for awhile. My blood pressure is 122/70 which is pretty decent by any standard and I drink plenty of water so I am not dehydrated. The thing of it is when I ask people what the problem could be multiple members of my stupid @$$ family pretty much said they think I must be starving myself and that I have lost too much weight lately. I tell them ummmm no I eat plenty and I have not been losing weight rapidly it's taken me almost 10 months to get to where I am now and they act like they don't believe me and I'm lying about my current weight and that I simply must not be eating. The only good suggestions I got were 1. you could be developing diabetes or 2. it's anemia. The anemia doesn't make sense to me because I checked what I was eating and the cereal I eat almost every day is 90% of my iron for the day my soy milk is 4% a cup, almonds which i snack on almost everyday 6%, and peanut butter which i eat atleast a few times a week is 4% so there is no reason I should be iron deficent. The diabetes thing doesn't make sense to me because I've lost almost 70 pounds so my risk should be much lower not higher. In either case I need blood work and since I have no insurance that is not gonna happen so I'm gonna have to just try and live with whatever it is. The point is I think its rediculous that I work my butt off for months on end and I eat right and people want to sit there and basically say right to my face that I must be starving myself that I'm a liar and that I would be stupid enough to ask them what was wrong with me if I was starving myself. People are flipping ******ed! I'm still fat by any real standards for petesake! And I'm not some sort of anorexic! What the **** is wrong with people! :mad:

oh and just to show how rediculous these people are being. here is a picture of my current weight.

ilidawn
04-19-2011, 04:33 PM
Wow..sounds like they're incredibly supportive *rolls eyes*

It sounds like you've been doing amazing losing weight in a very healthy way so kudos to you! It's weird that they're now just noticing but sometimes when you have a mental image of something it's hard to see gradual change but sooner or later it hits "wow! totally different!" (for example I keep thinking of my cat as a kitten so some days it's freaky when I realise how big he is).

As for being dizzy, high heart rate, and good blood pressure, I'm in the exact same boat. I hope someone has a good answer there for the reason because I'm very interested in knowing it as well. Keep up the awesome work! You know you're doing it right and you're not anorexic so just try to take a deep breath and maybe some primal screaming to release the frustration lol

berryblondeboys
04-19-2011, 04:36 PM
I'm beginning to get dizzy spells when I first stand up - getting up quickly. I haven't had that in EONS. I keep checking to see if my BP is getting too low, but it's not. Just checked - 114/72 - pretty darn perfect. I think what I have is a normal head rush thing... maybe with less weight and more fitness I jump up faster which creates that head rush.

But a resting heart rate of 105 - especially when you are exercising, is really high. Have you talked about it with a doctor? I've been working out for only 3.5 months and my resting heart rate went from 85 to 60. And when it was 85, my BP was through the roof high.

If you haven't had blood work done for awhile, what will it hurt to have things checked out? Of course, your family is being ridiculous. In their mind you are losing FAST.. and when it's not your own body, you don't realize it's actually been a month or two months or whatever. They can't see/understand the 1-2 pounds a week as they aren't experiencing it and, of course, because it's all 'new' (this weight loss) it's the easy thing to blame.

My mother in law is a doctor and she keeps telling me to not exercise so much. Not to lose too much and she has nothing to base that off from. She specialized in Neurology and Psychiatry and has never dieted in her life (she has always been naturally thin and only started to gain a bit of extra weight with her move her). Her idea of losing weight is to starve herself - eating only a chocolate bar for most of the day. And of course, she's not very successful with that approach.

My husband on the other hand sees what I'm doing - exercising 1 hour a day, eating 1200-1600 calories a day and eating no simple carbs. He has no worries about my weight loss or eating strategy at all and my recent excellent blood work basically confirms that what I'm doing is working and working in a heathy way.

But really, instead of guessing why you are getting these dizzy spells, I woul dhave it checked out.

Scorpio1986
04-19-2011, 04:37 PM
I know the feeling. We had a temp at work who always tried to get me to go out to lunch to the greasiest, unhealthiest places and obviously I would say no. Then she would look at my very healthy lunch (that i brought from home) and say "that's ALL your eating? OMG!" etc., etc. It brought me to tears some days!

niafabo
04-19-2011, 04:45 PM
@berryblondeboys I CAN'T get it checked out because I don't have insurance and since it's not an emergency I can't go to the ER. I applied for state insurance but they said someone in my age range needs to be knocked up or have proof of a serious need to qualify. All the women in my family have high pulse rates my heart rate has been between 85-105 as long as I can remember well except when it was 125 for a few weeks but that was just plain crazy.

zoodoo613
04-19-2011, 04:47 PM
Congrats on all the progress you made, and you'll just have to ignore the insensitive things that people say.

I'll trust you that you're not starving yourself. That said, it could still be some sort of deficiency. You are eating less than you were. The iron added to foods, like your cereal, is notoriously hard to absorb. Since you don't want to go to a doctor, it's kind of hard to check.

I obviously don't know what your financial situations is like, but you can go to a doctor and just pay. A regular office visit isn't going to be thousands of dollars, as long as you don't go to an ER. They might have some useful information.

niafabo
04-19-2011, 04:51 PM
@zoodoo613 I make $800 a month and pay around $600 in bills.

zoodoo613
04-19-2011, 04:55 PM
@zoodoo613 I make $800 a month and pay around $600 in bills.

Well I guess that idea won't work. :o

berryblondeboys
04-19-2011, 04:56 PM
@berryblondeboys I CAN'T get it checked out because I don't have insurance and since it's not an emergency I can't go to the ER. I applied for state insurance but they said someone in my age range needs to be knocked up or have proof of a serious need to qualify. All the women in my family have high pulse rates my heart rate has been between 85-105 as long as I can remember well except when it was 125 for a few weeks but that was just plain crazy.

I'm sorry about no insurance. I was that way until I got married. It's so fricking stupid that in this prosperous country that so many people are uninsured or under insured...

So, if this is a family thing, do these women exercise? Are they heavy? WHat has been the explanation of the high resting heart rate?

While I just looked and 60-100 is considered normal resting heart rate - I don't know if that includes those that are exercising/fit. Yours used to be 125. Which for sure is too high.

Here's a good link on high heart rate (I know you are smart and google things to death and probably already know this stuff - but just putting it out there for others): http://www.buzzle.com/articles/high-resting-heart-rate.html

Here's another: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003399.htm

Another possibility, of course, is hyperthyroidism. Yes, you can be hyperthyroid and be overweight because not everyone loses weight with a fast thyroid. Do you have other symptoms for it? You definitely described symptoms for Tachycardia.

beerab
04-19-2011, 05:02 PM
Are there any free local clinics in your area you could qualify for?

That being said, stop telling your family unless you are about to pass out- obviously they aren't supportive and could possibly be jealous.

You may have a vitamin deficiency, are you taking any vitamins right now? If not, just add a multivitamin to your day, within 2 weeks you hopefully will feel a difference (try to find one with 800 IU's of vitamin D- you don't need anything pricey- Kroger sells vitamin for very cheap)

I'm also wondering if for right now your body is adjusting to the lower blood pressure, at one point my blood pressure was very low so I was always dizzy. I also had a vitamin deficiency. I ended up getting off of the blood pressure meds my doctor gave me and then started taking vitamins daily and it went away completely after a month.

When you lose a lot of fat you can also lose a lot of vitamins that were stored in that fat so it makes sense to start taking some just in case :)

Good luck- remember your family aren't doctors so let them talk! I'd have said "oh wait are you a doctor? No? Okay then..." lol.

berryblondeboys
04-19-2011, 05:03 PM
There is this clinic where you live: Still expensive for bloodwork though. Here's their cost breakdown on bloodwork: http://www.bradentonurgentcare.com/bloodtestcosts.shtml.

MonicaM
04-19-2011, 05:09 PM
Please check around for a clinic that allows you to pay on a sliding scale. I would start by phoning large area hospitals. You need bloodwork and a complete physical.

niafabo
04-19-2011, 05:13 PM
@berryblondeboys most of the women in my family are pretty fit actually. my mom's kids are the only ones who have issues with weight because we were raised with an unhealthy relationship with food but no one else in that side of the family really has any issue with their weight and most are pretty active. no explanation for the high pulse rate was given i was just told not worry about it because it was a family trait. the women on my mom's side of the family have very long life spans (my great grandma is still healthy and able at 92 and just got remarried) so i don't think it's something that would really affect me in the long run.

my dad's side of the family on the other hand is a mystery. he was adopted and he never searched for his real family before he died. i know its afib that did him in but it's hard to say if it was his lifestyle that did it to him. he had serious issues with binge eating and chain smoking and got up to over 360 pounds before he developed health complications and got up to over 400 pounds before he ended up in the hospital the last time.

My menstraul cycle is pretty regular, I love the heat and shake like a chiwawa in the cold, pretty regular movements, nothing on my neck, and I usually lose slow and steady so I don't think hyperthyroidism could be the issue.

berryblondeboys
04-19-2011, 05:17 PM
@berryblondeboys most of the women in my family are pretty fit actually. my mom's kids are the only ones who have issues with weight because we were raised with an unhealthy relationship with food but no one else in that side of the family really has any issue with their weight and most are pretty active. no explanation for the high pulse rate was given i was just told not worry about it because it was a family trait. the women on my mom's side of the family have very long life spans (my great grandma is still healthy and able at 92 and just got remarried) so i don't think it's something that would really affect me in the long run.

my dad's side of the family on the other hand is a mystery. he was adopted and he never searched for his real family before he died. i know its afib that did him in but it's hard to say if it was his lifestyle that did it to him. he had serious issues with binge eating and chain smoking and got up to over 360 pounds before he developed health complications and got up to over 400 pounds before he ended up in the hospital the last time.

My menstraul cycle is pretty regular, I love the heat and shake like a chiwawa in the cold, pretty regular movements, nothing on my neck, and I usually lose slow and steady so I don't think hyperthyroidism could be the issue.

Well, that rules out a lot and your higher resting heart rate very well could be your family trait.

When do you notice these light headed spells? Does it happen regularly? After a long time between eating? Any other symptoms accompany it?

niafabo
04-19-2011, 05:32 PM
@berryblondeboys it happens a 1-3 times a week usually if I space out my meals too far but i eat a heavy breakfast and I'm usually not hungry at all when it happens. i also feel kinda week and i don't feel like moving around much because it makes the dizziness worse. brings down my mood and occasionally i'll sweat a bit but not like dripping sweat or anything just a light sweat. i also tend to pee a lot on the days it happens but i'm not really sure if there is a connection there.

Chubbykins
04-19-2011, 05:35 PM
A friend of mine has a problem where he gets dizzy when he stands up. It is called "orthostatiki ipotasi" in Greek. I have NO idea how it is called in english, but you might have that. It is a general problem of the circulatory system and can be changed with medication and care. :)
In the end you have to see a doctor, because getting dizzy can be life-threatening in some situations... you don't want to get dizzy near stairs for instance, or a busy road.

pnkrckpixikat
04-19-2011, 05:56 PM
even if u are getting 100% or more of your iron it could still be anemia, other deficencies can cause your body to not process the iron you are getting. If im low on vitamin c or one of the b's (6 i think) i can get 500% iron or more and still have my blood panel come back anemic even though normally im not.

Coldness is a symptom of anemia as is dizziness. I dont know about the racing heart, but tiredness is also often associated with anemia.

I second the vote for a multivitamin, they arent too costly and can only help even if they dont help this specifically

fattymcfatty
04-19-2011, 06:14 PM
My Dad and I have this issue; for us, we need sodium a little more than the next person. We cut it down sometimes too much. Both of us have low normal range blood pressure, even when I was heavy. I was starting to notice this and I just integrated a little more sodium into my diet and it has made a big difference.

pattypaw
04-19-2011, 06:25 PM
I have atrial tachycardia and was put on medication for it when i was a teenager and they finally figured out was was wrong with me. With mine i would have a high resting heartrate as well, about 105-110 but i would also get what i call "episodes" every once in awhile where i would get dizzy and suddenly feel like i was going to black out then my heart rate would really speed up to over 200 and that would last anywhere from a minute to 20 min.

DixC Chix
04-19-2011, 06:58 PM
Totally in a different direction - balance (dizziness) is usually controlled by the inner ear fluids. It can also be affected by swollen sinus cavities which are close by. Could you have an issue with allergies or a low grade infection? Have you changed altitudes recently? Been underwater with a little ear water stuffiness? Sometimes popping our ears (blowing our nose) can move an infection into the inner ear.

As for the family members, ask them if they would like to donate money to your 'see the doctor' fund to check on your healthy weight loss to alleviate their fears. See if they will put their money where their mouth is. You know, put up (the money) or shut up (about the weight loss).

They are just comparing their memory of you with you now and do not have the vision to see you at your goal weight. Sometimes they hear the number of pounds and imagine it represents unhealthy loss. If they have never struggled with weight they have no idea what 20-50-80 pounds looks like.

niafabo
04-19-2011, 07:22 PM
@pnkrckpixikat you have a point suprisingly it would explain almost all of the symptoms. will definitely pick up some vitamins the next time i go to the store.

@DixC Chix i would but my family is cheap. lol!

arkansasmom
04-19-2011, 08:14 PM
Search for a FQHC (federally qualified health center) in your area. Typically your visit cost is on a sliding scale based on income, and they may offer discounted labwork.

JOLINA
04-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Try taking a spoon of liquid Benadryl and see if that works. Follow the directions on the bottle. It could be an inner ear problem.
There is a doctor that wrote a book on the subject...Dr Harold Levinson.

If the dizziness goes away within a half hour, that is what you have.
I get that at times, and a spoon of Benadryl makes it go away.

And I had to stop drinking all coffee, even decaf. My heart was skipping beats and beating erratically. Whenever I drink coffee now, my heart will not beat right for a couple of days.

If you are worried about heart attacks or strokes, what thins the blood is garlic, onions, berry juice. They bring down high blood pressure too. I grow my own berries and make the juice.

Larry H
04-19-2011, 09:09 PM
As a person that was complaining of dizzy spells which ended in heart bypass surgery I strongly recommend getting evaluated. Low Income and being stymied by the buracrecy??

Well if it were me I would show up at the hospital ER with complaints of dizzy spells and chest pains. They have to treat you regardless of your ability to pay.

If you complain of dizzy spells and chest pain you will get tested, a lot of testing. The law does not allow the hospital to simply put you out the door with out a proper diagnostic and treatment.

I hope you have a very simple problem. As I found out it may not be a simple problem. Keep us updated because we do care:hug:

Larry,

mystyblue85
04-19-2011, 09:25 PM
youve gotten lots of great advice so far, so i will add my very small 2 cents:

i used to get the same thing while i was pregnant and it was always blood sugar or blood pressure related.
for blood sugar, drink some juice and wait a few minutes, if you feel better, theres your answer
for blood pressure, go to your local pharmacy and check your bp for free (i know walgreens and cvs has the free bp check in their pharmacy)
also, home bp monitors are cheap at the drug stores
if its blood sugar, try carrying around a chocolate bar (or equivalent) and nibble it every few hours. it helped me 'shake the shakes' while i was prego. as for the heart rate, see a doctor asap. go to the er and get a referral, take the bills to social services and they will give you state medical insurance
all you have to prove is that you cant pay for over the counter care

shcirerf
04-19-2011, 10:25 PM
@berryblondeboys it happens a 1-3 times a week usually if I space out my meals too far but i eat a heavy breakfast and I'm usually not hungry at all when it happens. i also feel kinda week and i don't feel like moving around much because it makes the dizziness worse. brings down my mood and occasionally i'll sweat a bit but not like dripping sweat or anything just a light sweat. i also tend to pee a lot on the days it happens but i'm not really sure if there is a connection there.

Could be a lot of things, but if you're spacing out meals/snacks to far some days, it could be a blood sugar issue. I have that problem. I have to eat every couple of hours. For a few weeks make an effort to eat frequently and see if it helps.

When my blood sugar gets to low, I get shaky, dizzy, nauseous, etc. I slam some orange juice and eat a couple of cheese sticks. The OJ brings my blood sugar back up and the protein in the cheese sticks, helps it stick.

As far as the no insurance, there used to be a program called "every woman matters" Google it and see if it's still around. It might be of some help.

Congrats on your success!:carrot:

berryblondeboys
04-19-2011, 11:26 PM
Keep a food diary and a symptom diary. That can help you a lot in deciphering what this is.

My 'guess' is that your blood sugars are crashing down. Two ways to resolve it - a. eat more often or b. (preferred) eat less carbs for breakfast and boost the fat and protein. I used to get bad problems with going hypoglycemic if I ate things like cereal, bread, pancakes (especially). I don't get that way with a high protein and fat breakfast.

fatmad
04-19-2011, 11:49 PM
I am wondering if you can get a lab to do blood work for you, without a doctor. Just paying for the labs. I have many clients who are not insured, (new immigrants, and Mennonite and Amish who choose not to use universal health insurance) and they just pay directly for what I order for them.
Are there public health walk in clinics available for you? So many causes, many benign, many treatable with simple things, but that you want to get checked out.
I like the idea of the worried family members kicking in money to check it out!

lovegoddess1977
04-19-2011, 11:50 PM
Okay, I am going to give you a piece of good advice. There could be a million and one things causing your problems. You never know what it is until you get it checked out. All of us on here could tell you what "OUR" experiences are which does provided you with some insight however, that doesn't get you any closer to finding out what is specifically wrong with you.

I am an RN at a very prestigious hospital in Ohio. Our specialty is Cardiology. Trust me...we see EVERYTHING!!! Sometimes the symptoms that we pass off as insignificant end up being the worst problems.... and sometimes the worst symptoms end up being the simplest problems to fix. I do alot of patient education. We don't candy coat anything. It doesn't help the patient. Long story short.... A sustained resting heart rate of greater than 100 means that there is something abnormal causing it. Dizziness when you immediately stand up is called Orthostatic Hypotension. It means that when you stand up, there is something in your body that causes your blood pressure to drop suddenly causing you dizziness, however when you sit back down your blood pressure will return to normal. I understand about the no insurance thing. I had no insurance for almost 10 years. It was horrible. However, you NEED to be seen and evaluated. It is a MUST. There is really no good reason to not be seen. Having no insurance is not a good reason. I am not trying to be mean but this is fact. There is always a way to be seen and start treatment however it just depends upon what you are willing to deal with afterwards. I had to go to the ER when I had no insurance and I had a LARGE bill afterwards. I called the billing department of the hospital and they worked with me for payments. Not all hospitals will do that but more and more are making an effort to make bill collection easier. There are more options for financial assistance than what we can find on our own. Once you actually go to the Hospital.... there are case managers and social workers that can assist you and help find programs to work for you. With your monthly income they should definitely be able to do something.

I know how frustrated and upset that you must be. I have been there believe me. The next time that you have one of these episodes or you don't feel right...go to the ER. Please put your health first. It may be something not important at all. But you never know until you try.

We can give you all the advice in the world but its your decision. Sorry if I sound harsh but I take my career very serious.

niafabo
04-20-2011, 12:20 AM
Thank you all for your advice and input will definitely start keeping a symptom diary and will start taking a multi-vitamin or perhaps an iron supplement.

For those concerned about my heart rate at the moment I assure you its a family trait and 105 is not something I feel I should be concerned with I only mentioned it because I wanted to show my heart rate is not out of control atm sorry if it gave any of you got the impression I was concerned about it I'm not that's within my normal range and always has been. I do not experience chest pains and I do not feel like my heart is going to burst or anything. That was one of the things I was crossing out as not being a symptom. XD

juliana77
04-20-2011, 12:37 AM
I found this in your area: http://www.wecaremanatee.org/programs.php

Free Primary Care Clinic

We Care Manatee operates a Free Clinic to provide primary medical care to low-income residents who do not have health insurance and who cannot afford the cost of a doctor's visit. The clinic is located at:

One Stop Center
701 - 17th Avenue West
Bradenton

Appointments are required: 941-755-3952 x6
The clinic is open the 3rd Saturday of each month (closed annually in June) from 9:00am to 12:00pm and provides primary medical care to low income Manatee County residents. As with We Care's Specialty Program, all medical care provided through the clinic is by volunteer physicians and nurses.

To learn more about our clinic, please call We Care Manatee's administrative office at 755-3952

----

It sounds a lot like low blood sugar/hypoglycemia to me, but I am not an expert. I have a very good friend who naturally has a high heart rate. It can cause an enlarged heart over the long term (think about how we exercise muscles to make them bigger - a high heart rate exercises your heart and makes it bigger). Anyway, he is on medication to slow it down (I think he's about 125 unmedicated/100 medicated).

Anyway - I am sorry your family is not supportive - that stinks. A lot of people are resistant to change, and overprotective :) Hang in there!!

ShanIAm
04-20-2011, 08:23 AM
I don't have a lot to add as you have already received such great responses but wanted to stop in and say a couple things. 1) YOU LOOK FABULOUS! and 2) I understand. I have gotten dizzy spells too (only during the day and only at work) when I stand up too fast. I realize, however, this only started when I changed my way of eating and incorporated exercise. In the back of my head I thought it might have been because I was eating too little but I know that I am not. I don't even mention it to anyone only because I knew I'd get the same accusations as you received.

rachinma
04-20-2011, 08:55 AM
OK, I'm going to get all "Momma Bear" on you right now, but you need to get a physical and some blood work done. I know you have no insurance and pretty close to no money. Figure it out. Find a clinic that will allow you to pay on a credit card. Ask a family member for a short-term loan to get it checked out.

The link to the clinic in Bradenton has some pretty low cost for some of the blood work.

You only get one body and one life.

fatferretfanatic
04-20-2011, 11:13 AM
I wish I had advice about your lightheadedness, but I feel that your family should be a ton more supportive. Mine was supportive of my mom until she lost 'too much weight'. *rolls eys* She's six feet and 160-180. That's about perfect for her. Obviously, she was not anorexic. You look wonderful, sweetie.

j0lamo01
05-01-2011, 01:56 AM
You look so great Nia! Yeah people are insecure about themselves not doing something right for themselves like you are so they make excuses as to why they arent losing weight like "you're starving yourself" It is annoying especially since you look so great now they should be excited for you

j0lamo01
05-01-2011, 01:58 AM
Yeah you should go to the free clinic I am a student and I have no insurance either but I have been to the free clinic here a few times and my mom has diabetes and no insurance and she goes to a free clinic here to get her prescriptions and supplies.