Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #1  
Bells For Her

S/C/G: 156/112/105

Height: 5'1 and a half!

Default Calorie Confusion

I'm getting really confused about how much I should be eating. A couple of weeks ago I started keeping a food diary and cut out bad food altogether (I can't be trusted to have just one cookie!)

I was eating three meals and snacking in between everyday but according to my food diary, I was only eating around 1,000 calories a day which I know is stupid and just setting myself up for failiure in long term, but I also didn't want to eat unless I was hungry otherwise I feel like I'm binging.

I have a moderate activity level and when I use online calculators they suggest I burn approximately 2100 calories a day. so really to lose weight healthily I should be eating around 1500 calories a day, does anyone have any tips to get my calories up in a healthy way?
belmagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 155/133.4/110

Height: 5'2

You don't mention anything about how much you exercise (aside from moderate activity throughout the day)? Do you go the gym or run or do any other kind of actual workouts? I don't know that you necessarily NEED to go up to 1500 calories per day. I'm an inch taller than you and around your weight, and I only eat 1200 calories per day. 1000 is definitely a bit too low, but you should be alright at 1200 - 1300 I would think. I mean personally I probably could eat 1500 cals per day and still lose weight, but I think my weight loss would be much slower and I'd have to exercise more. I think the key is just to listen to your body, your energy levels and your hunger. If you don't feel hungry enough to push yourself up to 1500 calories, then why do it? 1000 left you too hungry, so maybe try a number somewhere in between, like 1200 or 1250, before going right up to 1500? Personally I find that 1200 calories is just perfect to keep me full throughout the day, if I divide the calories up into smaller meals/snacks and if every calorie comes from a nutritious fibrelicious (made that word up, but I mean full of fibre) food.
alicia89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/278/160

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmagick View Post
I'm getting really confused about how much I should be eating. A couple of weeks ago I started keeping a food diary and cut out bad food altogether (I can't be trusted to have just one cookie!)

I was eating three meals and snacking in between everyday but according to my food diary, I was only eating around 1,000 calories a day which I know is stupid and just setting myself up for failiure in long term, but I also didn't want to eat unless I was hungry otherwise I feel like I'm binging.

I have a moderate activity level and when I use online calculators they suggest I burn approximately 2100 calories a day. so really to lose weight healthily I should be eating around 1500 calories a day, does anyone have any tips to get my calories up in a healthy way?

I have the same problem as you. I aim to eat between 1600 and 1800 calories a day. I use whole eggs to help increase my calories (but my doctor suggested no more than 4 per week), and when I need to I have been known (on lots of occasions actually) to weigh out a serving of peanut butter. Mine is light peanut butter, but it's still a hefty 80 calories per serving.

I am looking forward to seeing what other people suggest as well.
OhMyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 155/133.4/110

Height: 5'2

Also, to answer your question about getting calories up, I'd think the easiest way is to add some more healthy fats into your diet, because fats are the most calorically-dense. One tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, flax oil or walnut oil is about 100-130 calories, and adds healthy fats into your diet, plus the fat will help you absorb the nutrients from other foods like veggies better. Put it on a salad or stirfry.

Nuts likes cashews, almonds and walnuts are very high in calories per serving and make a healthy snack.

Last edited by alicia89; 04-19-2011 at 02:03 PM.
alicia89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

You could just have somewhat larger servings of healthy food.
Many people have trouble getting enough healthy fats. Nuts are nutrition and calorie dense. I know walnuts are high in Omega-3 fatty acids.
An extra serving or 2 of fruits and vegetables also will had a lot of nutrients for not too many calories.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:15 PM   #6  
Bells For Her

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia89 View Post
You don't mention anything about how much you exercise (aside from moderate activity throughout the day)? Do you go the gym or run or do any other kind of actual workouts?
Sorry, Yes I cross-country run six days a week for roughly 40 minutes but apart from that I'm stuck behind my desk because I have exams coming up next month. I don't really know how many calories I burn but I estimate it to be around 400.

For the first few days when I started the diary I was falling asleep for about two hours in the afternoon.

EDIT: I'm keen to avoid nuts because I worry I will demolish the entire packet because I love them. I will definitely add the oil when I have salads though, I think it's probably good fats that's missing from my diet. I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables. I think most of my fat comes from milk, cheese, olive spread and yoghurt. I'll probably have a piece of avocado or something later to bring up my calories.

Last edited by belmagick; 04-19-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:43 PM   #7  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

What about meat? Are you vegetarian? An extra ounce or two of chicken per meal can add that extra few hundred calories.

I'd say shoot for 1200-1300 calories and see how it goes, maybe eat 1500 on days you work out

Last edited by beerab; 04-19-2011 at 02:43 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:43 PM   #8  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I hear you on eating too many nuts. You could buy a bag and measure out servings into some of those 100 calorie bags though - that might help, to keep you from eating too many in one go!

Or you can buy boxes of pre portioned nuts, more expensive though.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:27 AM   #9  
Bells For Her

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotypical View Post
I hear you on eating too many nuts. You could buy a bag and measure out servings into some of those 100 calorie bags though - that might help, to keep you from eating too many in one go!

Or you can buy boxes of pre portioned nuts, more expensive though.
At the moment I don't feel I trust myself enough not to go on a rampage so even if I measured out portions or bought packets I fear one will become two, two will become three.

I bought my calories up to 1300 by eating an avocado and olive salad last night. I'm going to spread them out through the day today and see how I get on. Thank you for the advice everybody.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:53 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
What about meat? Are you vegetarian? An extra ounce or two of chicken per meal can add that extra few hundred calories.

I'd say shoot for 1200-1300 calories and see how it goes, maybe eat 1500 on days you work out
THere are only 35 calories in an oz. of chicken, so you'd need quite a bit to get up a few hundred calories.

I think you are on the right track adding some oils and avocado.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:28 PM   #11  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

True but if you cook it with some olive oil it can be more like 70 calories per ounce since olive oil is 40 calories per tsp
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote