General Diet Plans and Questions - What time do you struggle?

View Full Version : What time do you struggle?

Morethananumber
04-19-2011, 12:41 AM
What part of the day is your worst time for sticking to your diet and what do you do about it?
and if you have conquered this, can you offer advice for those of us that are still struggling?

My worst time is after dinner. Even if I move around the time that i take my fullbar and have a good dinner, i still find I struggle after dinner. Not as bad since starting my diet, (im no longer sitting here eating a whole pizza) but i still feel the need to eat. I just had 1c of homemade popcorn, yet im sitting here wanting more.
My other worst moment is right at dinner, if the food is still sitting there on the plate, im more likely to eat it. I have started to have hubby take my plate to avoid temptation. ;)

Ewiemama
04-19-2011, 01:02 AM
I am the same. I eat dinner, feel full, and put the rest of my plate on the counter in the kitchen..... 30 mins later and I'm in there snacking on the rest of my meal. Also what's tough for me is that my husband works evenings and gets home at 11:30. I can make it until about 10 and then I start to get cravings just because I'm awake and bored! I thought about just going to sleep to avoid eating but then I would never get to spend any time with hubby. I'm pretty bad with willpower! The only thing that helps sometimes is I'll make some tea, or ice water, or juice... Sometimes just the flavor in the drink is enough to keep my cravings calm-- I mean it's not like I'm even actually hungry!

yoyo mama
04-19-2011, 01:48 AM
I start craving sweets and carbohydrates at 4:00 pm with the strongest cravings after dinner. Hot tea seems to help with it, but it seems to never go away. I know of some people who stop eating sweets and the cravings go away. I wish....

JohnP
04-19-2011, 03:16 AM
If you like to eat in the evening you should consider skipping breakfast or as we like to call it - intermittent fasting. I eat from 2:00 PM till 10:00 PM.

Ewiemama
04-19-2011, 10:31 AM
If you like to eat in the evening you should consider skipping breakfast or as we like to call it - intermittent fasting. I eat from 2:00 PM till 10:00 PM.

Interesting idea! I am never hungry for breakfast anyway! I usually am not hungry until at least noon.... But I hear that breakfast is the most important meal, so sometimes I just force it down : / does this fasting thing really work?

indiblue
04-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Ewie check out the IF thread in this forum for more info: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions/227832-anyone-else-doing-if-intermittent-fasting.html.

I'm one of the ones JohnP and others converted to IF and I'm a big fan. I don't mind eating breakfast but I find I eat healthier and fewer calories if I don't start eating until well into the day. Listen to your body- IF may be a great option for you! :)

Morethananumber I used to be a massive afternoon/evening grazer/snacker and IF has curbed this tremendously.

josey
04-19-2011, 11:28 AM
Acutally between 7am and 11:30am (lunchtime). Not sure why but I am usually very hungry between breakfast & lunch.

caryesings
04-19-2011, 02:45 PM
I'm with Josey. I am watching the clock all morning for my next eating event, but by 2 pm I'm ok and sometimes miss one of my afternoon snacks.

surfergirl2
04-19-2011, 02:49 PM
I just push my dinnertime to an hour before bedtime so that i won't snack after dinner.

yhahmd
04-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Strangely enough it differs for me. When I work out, what I ate, when I ate, when I got up. Most of the time it's the afternoon, though, right before dinner. It takes a lot of willpower to make it to 5-530. I guess I'm lucky we don't eat as late as 7, like some people I know!

josey
04-19-2011, 02:53 PM
I'm with Josey. I am watching the clock all morning for my next eating event, but by 2 pm I'm ok and sometimes miss one of my afternoon snacks.

Hi! Any tricks you use to get over the morning? I am eating breakfast quite early (around 5:30am) and sometimes a late 1st coffee (around 7am) ties me over to 11am lunch. Fruit works too. But usually I am starving by 9:30am.

Morethananumber
04-19-2011, 04:28 PM
I actually dont eat breakfast and I still crave after dinner.

ShanIAm
04-19-2011, 04:52 PM
The most difficult time for me is between 3pm and 4pm during days that I work. I’m an 8 to 5’er and I am always very busy in the morning with one thing or another. But the afternoons are filled with reading policies, writing or rewriting procedures, etc. See how boring that was to read? Imagine how boring it is to DO! LOL In the past I distracted myself by gnawing on chocolate covered pretzels and now it’s eating a piece of fruit and reading a few posts on 3FC!

The good news is the more boring the snack, the more interesting the work.

:)

joyfulloser
04-19-2011, 05:19 PM
Honestly...I really don't have a "difficult time" or a time that I "struggle". I eat whenever I'm hungry.:) Now don't get me wrong...I don't have a CHEESEBURGER everytime I'm hungry...but I will eat something filling, low/lower calorie, and most importantly, nutrient dense about every 1-2 hours. I eat about 9 times/day, which include on average three (3) 300-400 cal meals + several snacks.

I'm not a big fan of a growling stomach myself...and deprivation totally does not suit my personal style.;)

hometowngirl
04-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Between 6pm-10pm. It's always those stupid darn sweets! If I could kick the sweet tooth I would probably not have a weight issue.

krampus
04-19-2011, 10:12 PM
I have gotten into a weird habit of eating a snack right before I go to bed. I'm not a huge fan of it but it fits within my target calorie range. Lately I've been fine with just accepting hunger as part of the deal, but if I go out to eat with friends or my boyfriend I have a really hard time making "good" choices.

yoyo mama
04-19-2011, 10:15 PM
Between 6pm-10pm. It's always those stupid darn sweets! If I could kick the sweet tooth I would probably not have a weight issue.

Amen. The sweets are killing me. I'm so envious of people (like my husband) who don't crave sweets. But I guess I'm lucky because I don't crave alcohol or caffeine. But chocolate is like a drug for me!!! :(

MeltinMom
04-19-2011, 10:24 PM
If I'm truly hungry I have to eat or I get very grumpy and feel faint. My worst times for wanting to eat are probably 10-11am (I have my snacks but just want more and often end up eating my lunch early) 1-2pm (yes right after lunch I'm starving again) and as I'm making dinner - those nibbles are taking away my daily points & need to stop them - that is probably my worst time. A taste of this, taste of that etc. I'm still learning how my body works and what works best for my body.

supergir111
04-22-2011, 10:46 AM
My worst time is right after lunch. Because it's also my first meal it's like I've turned on the hunger switch, I have been eating less for lunch to save calories so I can have a 'snack' after like dark chocolate or a small bowl of cereal.

darway
04-22-2011, 07:50 PM
That 3:00 - 5:00 work time... it's early enough in the day to think about maybe "just this once" going to the vending machine. :p After 5:00 I'm close enough to leaving that I know I can tough it out.

Second place is just before bedtime. I feel like snacking and am concerned that being hungry will prevent me from falling asleep. Been getting around that to some extent, by playing a white noise CD in the background to drift into sleep quicker.

DTerminedOne1219
04-25-2011, 09:18 PM
So, i sit at a desk all day and make outbound calls. VERY BORING! I get tired easily and just from boredom alone i feel hungry. I have tried to eat more often hoping to eat smaller meals so that i could snack more freely in the afternoon but I've found that im in this rut where i'm not being fulfilled during my bigger meal of the day (lunch) and therefore eating more than i should. So i would have to say the hardest part of the day for me is between lunch and dinner. I eat lunch at about 3pm and dinner at like 11pm. Usually lunch is the first food of the day though.

Fungramma
04-25-2011, 09:47 PM
My worst time is in the evening, too, after dinner, even if I'm full. My trick is as soon as I'm done with my dinner I brush and floss. I absolutely hate brushing my teeth (but still do it twice a day):D so there is no way I'm going to eat anything and have to brush and floss again. I've never had this technique fail me yet!!

lackadaisy
04-25-2011, 11:35 PM
It used to be dinner, but now it's in the morning before lunch -- no matter how much breakfast I eat, I want more! It's ridiculous.

bnhtla06
04-26-2011, 12:32 AM
Between dinner and bedtime is my worst time. I always feel an incredible urge to just sit and watch tv or read a book...with a snack. I agree with the other posts about not starving myself. If I'm really hungry I'll get a healthy snack and not feel guilty. That time in the evening, though, it's usually just the munchies. I've started to exercise after work instead of in the morning. A good workout always curbs my appetite. I've also set a rule for myself to only eat at the dinner table, which cuts out the snack in front of the tv or with the book. If I really want the snack I have to get up and go sit in the kitchen alone like a loser...most of the time that stops me.