Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 10:54 PM   #1  
- 50 lbs!!! 3/17/03

Default Help

Now that I know the date is approaching ... I can't stop eating EVERYTHING! If it isn't nailed down - it's going in my mouth! I'm afraid of the scale and that the surgeon will see I've gained weight and knock me out of this long process~ I need to get my WP back and get back on track. Did this happen to anyone else?
Old 12-30-2002, 12:35 AM   #2  
Slowly going crazy!

Welcome to the club... I did the same thing...
I think if you are having the RNY...get your sweets in now *grin* some people can't handle the sweets after surgery.

For me it was Dt. Coke. I knew I would no longer be a soda-addict once I got the lap-band, so I have cut that out of my diet all together.
Okay actually I had a sip of it today, and can I tell you that after nearly two weeks of not having it at all...boy it tasted NASTY. Thank God for the small favors! ! !

Enjoy...but just don't go too overboard, but don't feel alone, I did the exact same thing, and I only had 10 days to 'splurge' in...actually even less, because I was doing a show and couldn't gain any weight cuz they had taken in my costumes because I was loosing weight during the performances.
Old 12-30-2002, 11:55 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

ummmm justprazn... amy is MUCH MUCH kinder than i am.

really and truly, some docs WILL NOT OPERATE if you've gained weight. so you REALLY HAVE TO STOP.

BUT, please don't despair. when i was getting ready for the surgery, everyone told me that i'd eventually get everything back. it might take a year or a little more, but i would be able to eat [as in take a couple of bites] of just about anything i wanted, even cake, pie, chocolate, cookies, pasta.

now, don['t forget: many people develop dumping syndrome right after the surgery if they eat too many carbs, too much fat, too much sugar. and i got pretty uncomfortable after eating yogurt [which has a WHOLE LOTTA carbs].

but i''m not dumping anymore. i suspect, and believe me, i'm really not sure about this, that the fact that i just didn't try eating the carbs or sweets for at least 6 months after the surgery helped tame this.

so, please try to look at this as short-term pain and suffering for a long-term lifetime of enjoyment. i decided that it was a fair exchange.

THE FOOD WILL BE THERE WHEN YOU'RE READY FOR IT!!!

And one more point: i also decided that since i can't eat much of anything, whatever i DID eat would be GOOD. so things that i don't really like i don't eat. that's helped cut down the mindless eating for me.

Last edited by jiffypop; 12-30-2002 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-30-2002, 02:03 PM   #4  
- 50 lbs!!! 3/17/03

Default Thanks alot.

Actually I've found that both of you said exactly what I needed to hear. One of you was the more compassionate and the other the 'get real girl.' I react best to having both types of motivation. So there you have it ... understanding and sympathetic and a reality check. Isn't that what support is all about? Thanks so much.

Just called my hubby and told him to throw away all cookies and candy in our house! I'm sure he and the daughters hid them - but as long as I don't know where they are it is fine with me.

I've come to far on this journey to be undone by my own 'greed'!
Thanks again ~ consider the new leaf turned! :O)
Old 12-30-2002, 02:50 PM   #5  

I suggest checking with your doc. I did not know that my doc would not operate if I gained weight and I found out from someone in the support group right before I got my date. I have one week to go and with the holidays it has been MURDER to not put everything into my mouth. I don't think I've gained any weight but I had hoped to lose a few pounds just in case I'm retaining water or something that day. I see my doctor first thing on Thursday and I am invited to a big New Years Day dinner on Wednesday.

This week is torture!
Old 12-30-2002, 04:46 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

ladies in waiting: here's a thought. it really doesn't matter HOW you don't gain weight before surgery. and that means that you can do the slimfast shakes or water fast or whatever for a few days if you've really been binging. we all know that these are short term fixes, but face it .. THAT'S ALL YOU NEED!!!!

so, if the scale is creeping up, you can actually do some of those crazy 'drop 10 pounds in 2 days' diets to get back before surgery.

but don't tell your doc i said that!!! what he doesn't know won't hurt him1!!!!
Old 12-30-2002, 05:12 PM   #7  
- 50 lbs!!! 3/17/03

Jiffy you are too funny. And just for the record - my doc already knows he doesn't know it all - and I promised to inform him every chance I get! LOL!
Old 01-01-2003, 09:37 AM   #8  
Hang In There

Default I love it!!!

Our Jiff "the get real girl"

You've just aquired a new title for life. And it fits soooo well
Closed Thread