Chicks up for a Challenge - Canada Day Challenge!!

View Full Version : Canada Day Challenge!!

OhMyDogs
04-17-2011, 09:30 PM
It's around 10 weeks away, so I thought I'd see if anyone else is up for a Canada Day Challenge!!

Personally, my goal is to lose 22lbs by July 1!

Start weight: 269.8
Goal Weight: 247.8

What's your goal?

josey
04-18-2011, 10:36 AM
I am in! Hm, my goal? I think I want to drop 15 lbs by July 1. That would be my lowest weight ever!!

Start weight: 206
Goal weight: 191

OhMyDogs
04-19-2011, 12:53 AM
Awesome Josey!! We can kick this weight to the curb :D

Izzadawn
04-19-2011, 11:02 AM
OK with spring underway and the weather getting nicer I'm going to go HARD... 165 by Canada Day !!!!

josey
04-24-2011, 01:20 PM
2lbs down for this week. I am happy with that but it is sure slowing down now. Hmpf.

OhMyDogs
04-24-2011, 03:20 PM
Uggg, for me I am up 1.5lbs this week, but I am have eating on plan, and walking, I think it's water retention from sodium (stupid sodium). Of course, tonight's dinner is ham, which is sodium enriched as well, so I will reweigh on Tuesday or Wednesday and see if I can shake that weight off....sigh! How frustrating!

josey
05-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Hi guys! I lost another 2 lbs this week. YAY! So excited!!!

Oh sorry to hear OhMyDogs! How did the reweighing go? I will keep my fingers crossed!

MissAngelle
05-19-2011, 02:47 PM
Starting a bit late on this one....

I would like to be in the 250s by July 1. It doesn't matter if it's high or low, just cracking the 260s and leaving them far behind and never returning is fine with me.

While I would really like to hit my mini goal by then, I have learned that it is better to bob slightly than wobble into a disasterous yo-yo.

Success for me would be 256 or 257 at my highest point. Utopia would be at 254!

Laura G
05-19-2011, 06:36 PM
Well, my victoria day challenge is almost over, so I'm jumping in here to keep the motivation going!

I'm starting this challenge about 270 (official wi tomorrow) so my goal is to hit 259 by July 1.
Let's do it!

OhMyDogs
05-20-2011, 09:08 AM
Weigh in day for me, down 3 lbs this week to 262. Slow and steady wins the race, they say.

josey
05-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Great, OhMyDogs! 3 lbs is pretty good for one week!

josey
05-22-2011, 09:53 AM
After saying that, i lost 3lbs this week too! Woohoo! 195lbs now and inching closer to goal!

GailMarie
05-23-2011, 11:58 AM
OK...I have one month of food stocked up and I NEED to lose more pounds to make me feel better. My goal is 170, that's 30 more to go, but for a short term goal and 32 days to do it, I am aiming for 10 pounds by July 1st. With strength and WILL POWER, I can do this

josey
05-23-2011, 01:49 PM
GailMarie, great! Welcome to the Canada Day Challenge! You can do it!
Good luck!

GailMarie
05-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Thanks Josey, you're the greatest! :)

I know that being on this diet is the best thing for me, and I LOVE to see the scale go down just like everyone else. My husband and I have to go to Winnipeg June 4-8 for his 3 month CT scan (he had?? cancer) and I know in my heart that I can stay OP, but it will be soooo hard as where I live, we have no restaurant choices and so we don't eat out often...in fact barely never. It will be really hard to go to places and not scarf everything I love on the menu.
Any suggestions?

OhMyDogs
05-24-2011, 07:58 AM
Wow, my bad. I haven't checked in here much at all!!

I am down to 262 now, which is 7.8lbs since the start of the challenge. 5.5 weeks felt until Canada Day, and 14.2 lbs to go. YIKES! I'm not so sure about making it. I'm not giving up yet though!

Gooooood luck to us!!

josey
05-24-2011, 12:09 PM
OhMyDog, we will get there. Stay strong. 14 lbs is quite a bit but not impossible. We will get there together! Good luck

josey
05-25-2011, 09:22 AM
It will be really hard to go to places and not scarf everything I love on the menu.
Any suggestions?

GailMarie, sorry I totally overlooked this question. What to eat when travelling? Hm, not easy. What plan are you on? Weight Watchers is fairly easy. There are points out for all kinds of chain restaurants (Timmy!) and it is easy to figure out your points in the supermarket. When I go to a restaurant, I really pick what I want to eat (well, maybe not the 4 cheese pasta) and enjoy it. No point in picking some salad or dry chicken when it doesn't taste good or is not your favorite. Better invest the points in something you love, because even the salad will have a gazillion points in a restaurant. They say the worst one is a Caesar Salad. So stay away from that one! I like steaks and that usually is a good choice even when they bathe it in butter. And it is soooo tasty! Soups I don't like and I would expect some hidden fat in there anyways. I also stay away from fries and other deep fried stuff. I like it but the points are ridiculous! Baked potatoes are yummy too and so much better for losing weight. I also stay away from pop and alcohol. I get water or maybe a glass of juice or juice/water mix (my favorite is cranberry soda).
Tim Hortons is very WW friendly I find. (Well, and I LOVE it). The oatmeal for breakfast is filling, full of fiber and has not many points. The sandwiches are good and ok for points. Just be careful with all that Iced Cappuchino ;-)

Phew, long answer eh?

josey
05-25-2011, 09:27 AM
One more thing: If you can limit what you eat in your restaurant do so! Eat only half a portion (tough I know!) if you can.
Especially if you don't like your food, don't eat it!!! I went to Tony Roma's recently (not my choice) and they had a horrible coleslaw. So I only had a fork full and no more. It was a good idea! I googled coleslaw later and it has like four million points!! Ugh! Am I ever glad I didn't eat it. I didn't like the taste and I was full anyways. So no point in eating it.

GailMarie
05-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Well, I'm on Ideal Protein...so that pretty much eliminates anything with sugar, starch, and fat. I was hoping for something really yummy, but it will be steak/chicken and salads I guess. Most restaurants will give you meat and veggies, but the thing with IP is that there can't be any sauce as it usually contains fat and sugars.
I find IP is a VERY restricted diet...and it's so hard not to cheat while your on a little get-a-way, especially when you eat out because I always feel like that is a real treat for me because of where I live.(No decent restaurants)
Hope to be in ONE-derland soon (maybe tomorrow)
thanks for all the tips

GailMarie
05-26-2011, 08:47 AM
I MADE IT TO ONE-derland! 199.6 this morning! Think I'll do my happy dance! Have an awesome day everyone!

josey
05-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Well, I'm on Ideal Protein...so that pretty much eliminates anything with sugar, starch, and fat. I was hoping for something really yummy, but it will be steak/chicken and salads I guess. Most restaurants will give you meat and veggies, but the thing with IP is that there can't be any sauce as it usually contains fat and sugars.
I find IP is a VERY restricted diet...and it's so hard not to cheat while your on a little get-a-way, especially when you eat out because I always feel like that is a real treat for me because of where I live.(No decent restaurants)
Hope to be in ONE-derland soon (maybe tomorrow)
thanks for all the tips

Uhoh, that sounds very restrictive. Don't think it would work for me. However, steak and salad sounds great!

OhMyDogs
05-26-2011, 01:01 PM
I don't have the self control for IP. When I see how fast people lose weight on it, I think, just for a minute "maybe I could do it", but in reality I know I couldn't. I LOOOVE fruit, yogurt, and I have to eat carbs or I feel like I am starving. I admire anyone who can stick with IP!!

josey
05-26-2011, 01:33 PM
How do you switch back to "real life"? This is not a forever thing, is it?
OhMyDog, what plan are you on?

GailMarie
05-26-2011, 10:37 PM
How do you switch back to "real life"? This is not a forever thing, is it?
OhMyDog, what plan are you on?
There are 4 phases to this diet...they are in the sticky
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/184422-ideal-protein-diet-phases.html

it explains all the phases, what you can and can't eat etc. It is NOT an easy diet to do, but the results are enough to keep me motivated. I have never lost 20 pounds in 6 weeks...and I look and feel great. 29 more to go:carrot:

What programs are you on?

josey
05-27-2011, 09:10 AM
There are 4 phases to this diet...they are in the sticky
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/184422-ideal-protein-diet-phases.html

it explains all the phases, what you can and can't eat etc. It is NOT an easy diet to do, but the results are enough to keep me motivated. I have never lost 20 pounds in 6 weeks...and I look and feel great. 29 more to go:carrot:

What programs are you on?

Wow, I had no idea. That is one **** of a plan. :-) Good job sticking to that! I wouldn't be able to do it. Not even a week. I love food way to much to give it up like that. Anyways, as I said I am on Weight Watchers. The most flexible and least restricted plan I know (apart from calorie counting which is too much work for me). I read a quote somewhere on this board that says: I can eat anything but not everything! Whoever came up with that was a genius!
That's exactly what I need. I love, love, love food. And I love to cook and bake. I can do smaller portions but not give it up completely. And I am very good at planning (used to do it professionally) and that's a big part of WW. You plan it right, you can even eat fast food or some fancy cake.
And it works! WW might be slower than most programs but it works. Steadily the pounds are coming off. No stalls yet, no gains yet, just losing a few pounds every week. Love it!

I am curious too, what plans are you guys on?

OhMyDogs
05-27-2011, 01:33 PM
I am calorie counting. I love the flexibility (I am the kind of person who will binge if I don't get a little treat from time to time). It's some "muss and fuss" with writing everything down, and weighing everything, but it's working well for me, and it's teaching me a lot about portion sizes, etc.

Weighed in this morning at 258.5 WOOT!! 3.5lbs last week!!

josey
05-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Awesome OhMyDogs!! Good job!

GailMarie
05-28-2011, 12:32 AM
I live in a northern community with no supports from groups such as weight watchers, TOPS, etc, and so when my girlfriend (who now lives in Red Deer) started IP and told me that she lost 65 pounds in 5 months I was eager to learn about the program. I had done Atkins January 6-March 1st with walking 4 times a week and aquasize 2 times a week, and lost a size in clothing, but very little weight. Then before I went to Mexico, my husband and I did a month of Body by Visalus and we again lost some inches and not too much weight. I started IP on April 11 and to date, my husband has lost 20 pounds (he is now on the maintenance phase and still losing) and I have lost 22 pounds (still on phase 1 for another 20 pounds, then phase 2) It is the hardest thing I have ever done for myself, but it feels so good to get rid of some extra weight that I didn't need.
I told myself that January was going to be the month that I start looking after my body, and with 40 some odd pounds gone, I feel fantastic, and can't wait to see the next bit go too. :belly:

Laura G
05-30-2011, 10:37 AM
Hello Chickies!

I'm still here - I've been reading all the posts as I go along. Gail - I am also on IP - just started last week and today I am officially down 10 lbs from my start weight on IP! Woohoo! It is a tough program, but the results are worth it! I may need to adjust my Canada Day goal - I only have 6 more pounds to reach it! I'm not changing my ticker - I only do that on Fridays - my official wi day, and I'm hoping I'll have blown right by my mini goal (since I'm there already!) LOVE IP!

GailMarie
05-30-2011, 11:18 PM
Hello Chickies!

I'm still here - I've been reading all the posts as I go along. Gail - I am also on IP - just started last week and today I am officially down 10 lbs from my start weight on IP! Woohoo! It is a tough program, but the results are worth it! I may need to adjust my Canada Day goal - I only have 6 more pounds to reach it! I'm not changing my ticker - I only do that on Fridays - my official wi day, and I'm hoping I'll have blown right by my mini goal (since I'm there already!) LOVE IP!

HOORAY!! and congrats on the loss! Amazing, and I am happy for you.
Me on the other hand? My official WI was today and I have gained .4 this week. I have been really good and trying very hard not to cheat...and then I gain .4 of a pound, which isn't much, but I am not in ONE-derland anymore:(

Laura G
05-31-2011, 10:42 AM
Hmm, a gain? Is it TOM? I know this sounds strange, but try an extra protein packet - it's helped a lot of IPers start losing again - something about getting out of starvation mode I think. You can do it - you'll be back in ONEderland before next weigh in! Have faith - the program works!

josey
06-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Sigh. My new scale is just a total PITA! This morning was my weigh in and I stepped on and lost 2lbs. So I tried the old scale just to see what it says. I lost 4.4lbs on the old one? WTF??? I mean I can see that the new one is showing a higher weight but a difference in loss? I don't get that. Anyways, I guess I lost 2lbs and I am back to 195lbs. I pretty much just dropped my gain from last week.
I know it will get harder now since I am reaching my lowest weight ever but it is sure not motivating when the new scale is just a pain in the b...

GailMarie
06-07-2011, 04:47 PM
Just a quick "drive by" literally since I am on the road on an 8 hour journey home.
I went with my husband to his oncologist appointment and since Monday's are my usual weigh in day I figured I would get on the doctor scale because I wouldn't be able to weigh in at home (I have no coach). Anyways the scale at the doctor's office read 4 pounds lost!!! I was soooo excited because it was a doctor scale to boot, not my home scale.

NSC= I have NEVER in my adult life shopped in the non-plus section of the store, my husband and I were in Winnipeg Manitoba for 4 days and I was in desperate need of clothes. I tried several stores and discovered that I am a size 14!!! and some were a tight 12. I can't believe it, but on a sad note, I was so overwhelmed with being able to shop in ALL stores that I didn't buy too much. BUT...that's ok because I still have weight to lose so I didn't want to go overboard with buying too much.
Staying OP was a little more difficult with so many choices of restaurants, so I decided before I even went that I would do phase 2/3 and get right back on phase 1 when I get home. Yes, I know that this will probably slow my weight loss down for a week but it was worth it. When you live in a northern remote community with very little/no resources it felt good to get out of town for a few days.
p.s...my husband's appointment went extremely well (he has melanoma stage 3-4) and his prognosis is GREAT!

josey
06-08-2011, 06:28 PM
@GailMarie That is soooo awesome that you were shopping in non-plus stores now. Congratulations!!
Glad to hear that your husband is doing well too.
I think you deserved some celebrating! You will be right back on plan I am sure. Sometimes little treats are great motivation. I wouldn't worry about a week.

josey
06-12-2011, 02:58 PM
I am running out of time. Down one pound this week. Three to go!

MissAngelle
06-18-2011, 02:35 PM
I have been losing at a snail's pace. Not really a plateau as I do increase my calories on purpose at times to fill in those nutrition gaps I have when I am really focused, but I finally cracked the '60s and I am thrilled this morning!!

I would rather do it slow than not lose at all, or worse, regain because I have cravings. I want this weight to be permanent.

So now, anything lost from now until Canada Day is a bonus!!! *insert fireworks here*

josey
06-19-2011, 11:38 AM
@MissAngelle keep it up! You are doing a great job!!

I finally got a nice loss again too! I am down two pounds! Only one to go for my Canada Day goal. Woohoooo! Very excited today. I went to a bbq yesterday and some people haven't seen me for a few months. I was the talk of the night (not exactly my thing though. I don't like to be in the spotlight). And I was also behaving on the buffet. I had a burger (well, it was a beef industry event after all) and only some salad and fruit as sides. I am so happy I was able to pull off a 2 lbs loss after that!

How is everybody doing?

GailMarie
06-21-2011, 09:12 PM
just a quick note to say that I have given up...so happy for those who can stick it out

josey
06-22-2011, 11:00 AM
just a quick note to say that I have given up...so happy for those who can stick it out

What? Wait? You have given up what? GailMarie, please explain, we are here to help!!

josey
06-26-2011, 11:04 AM
REACHED my goal!!! YAY! Good luck everybody! One more week to do it!

josey
07-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Happy Canada Day everybody!! How is it going?

josey
07-04-2011, 03:19 PM
Guys, anybody interested in more Canadian (open for anybody though) Challenges? I thought a Thanksgiving one and maybe a Remembrance Day one?