Weight Loss Support - Too embarrassed to join the gym :( But they offered a GREAT DEAL!

mochi74
04-16-2011, 01:13 AM
Hello there,
I am new to this site. I thought I could get off my fat, depressed, scared, lazy arse and just start working out in the neighborhood/ walking and doing yoga at home.....NOPE. I won't budge.

I had this gym down the street from me that I used to go to in 2008. I lost about 30 pounds in a couple of months there. It was WOMEN ONLY. It did not have a pool. Just machines, treads and weights. I would work out for almost 2 hours about 4 days a week. I went from 190 down to 160 or so. I just did REALLY steep hills walking and lots of reps.
I would go when no one was there, about 11 pm or later.
Needless to say, I fell in love.....had a major ab. surgery and gained 70 pounds until now.

I called an old gym (one with a great pool) that I haven't been to in over 5 years today. The rep was so cool....he said he'd even give me a corp. discount and everything. This is a pricey gym. It has 3 pools and a TON of sports/ classes etc all included! He told me to come in tomorrow and sign up.
I am scared though because it's CO-ED.
I DO NOT LIKE THAT! I also have a LOT of tattoos. They're pretty and tasteful (as far as tattoos go...even people who HATE tats like mine). :^: But, I live in a VERY conservative city and people always EYE'blank' me because of them. I am NOT a trendy, a druggie, or roller-girl type (not that there is anything wrong with the rollers)...I just like art.

I AM 250 POUNDS! I can't even ride my horse!
I have a plan though I want to drop 100 pounds by next Feb. and teach horseback riding again, go for my yoga teacher training in costa rica and start martial arts again. Am I setting unrealistic goals here? I can't even walk in the gym. :?:
I grew up athletic! I WANT that lifestyle back so much! Where is my courage?
Where is my positivity?
This is the HEAVIEST I have ever been. This weight hurts and it's NOT ME!
You know how I feel? I am SURE. Please.....I need some MAJOR cheerleading here ;)
I AM going to try to go in there tomorrow....What do you think?
Thanks in advance.
Give it to me straight! Why am I SUCH A WUSS!?!:?:

OhMyDogs
04-16-2011, 01:21 AM
I am like you, sort of (in the conservative appearance I mean). I am married, have small children, have several tattoos, and am a big girl! AND I joined a gym!

Honestly, I was very shy to go at first, but I figured "to heck with it, I am going anyway cause I am paying for it". Now I don't even care. I am not there to impress people, I am there to better myself!! I am there to get healthy, and I am putting ME first, for once! I don't care if my chunky butt there offends anyone, I am not going to get smaller if I keep worrying about everyone else's sensibilities!

Be you! Tattoos and all, and get healthy for yourself. Screw anyone who has an issue with it!!

That's my pep-talk (and please note my start weight, and realize not only do I go to the gym, I wear leggings while I do it!!).

Love yourself!

mochi74
04-16-2011, 01:37 AM
Bless your Canuck heart my friend! I thank you so much! I REALLY needed to hear that! <3 I bet the leggings help sweat too! I have a 3/4 sleeve and the rest I can hide with yoga pants. I have 3 horse tattoos :P I think I will wear a Robe before the "hydrotone" pool class! I think the best thing I can do is get in the water! This weight is so hard on the joints!
I've always wanted to check Saskatoon out! Perhaps one day I'll get up that way!
Talk about (CONSERVATIVE) remind me to someday tell you about my hitchhiking adventure through Canada....especially the small towns in Quebec....Maudite marde! heeee!

chickadee32
04-16-2011, 01:42 AM
GO GO GO!!! Please go, really! In a few weeks you will be so glad you did, and next February you will be even happier with your decision to go!

When I began going to my gym on Jan 31, I was pretty terrified. I'd had a not-so-positive experience with a trainer at another gym a few years ago, and after going once I never went back. I was SO nervous to try it again, and was so embarrassed about the way I looked and didn't want anyone to see my pathetic (in my mind) attempts at exercise. I was ~270 pounds at the time, and extremely out of shape.

I cannot even put into words how glad I am that I went, bought a membership, and have kept going. I really, really enjoy going to the gym now, and it is one of the best things I have ever done for myself. There are days when I don't feel like dragging myself there, but I am always SO glad I've gone. I read a quote in someone's signature shortly after I joined this site, and it's one I try to remind myself of on the days when it's tough to make the time or muster up the energy for the gym. It was something like "No one ever says 'I wish I didn't exercise today'." It's so true. Not only has my level of fitness improved dramatically over the past 2.5 months, but that mental break from the rest of my life that I get at the gym is an amazing re-charge.

Just GO. Start slow with whatever you can, and you'll work your way up to more in no time. You have already had a positive experience at a gym, and your hesitance and worry about what others will think of you in a co-ed gym will disappear more quickly than you think. I really don't take much note of how anyone else in the gym looks, with the exception of a couple cute men (but don't tell my husband I said that!!). Seriously though, I've never had a negative thought about how anyone else looks at the gym, I'm just continually impressed by those doing workouts I can't yet do myself.

GO. You will be so glad you did.

mochi74
04-16-2011, 01:52 AM
Thank you!!!!!!!!! I'm gonna do THIS! I am pumped! I've GOT TO!!!!!!!!!!

chickadee32
04-16-2011, 01:57 AM
Fantastic!! :D Please make sure to come back and tell us all about it tomorrow!

LisaP916
04-16-2011, 10:22 AM
I weigh more than you and I go six days a week. There are men and women of all shapes and sizes. No one gives a crap what anyone else looks like. They're all too busy doing their own thing..

Btw - I have seven tattoos, five of which are visible. I just rock 'em out!

fatmad
04-16-2011, 10:30 AM
I am usually, but not always, the largest woman in my hot yoga class. The other day there was a very heavy man there, who could only do about half the class. After ward I was talking to him, he wasn't sure about coming back. (the mirrors are a b***h) But I gave him a pep talk about my experiences, and he was back a few days later. Just concentrate on you, not them!

OhMyDogs
04-16-2011, 10:34 AM
Bless your Canuck heart my friend! I thank you so much! I REALLY needed to hear that! <3 I bet the leggings help sweat too! I have a 3/4 sleeve and the rest I can hide with yoga pants. I have 3 horse tattoos :P I think I will wear a Robe before the "hydrotone" pool class! I think the best thing I can do is get in the water! This weight is so hard on the joints!
I've always wanted to check Saskatoon out! Perhaps one day I'll get up that way!
Talk about (CONSERVATIVE) remind me to someday tell you about my hitchhiking adventure through Canada....especially the small towns in Quebec....Maudite marde! heeee!

I have a small Kanji tattoo on my inner wrist that means "inner strength", the only way to hide it is with a watch! I also have a dragon fly on one calf, a lady bug on one ankle, an african grey parrot on one thigh, and my newest and favorite, a large fairy on my shoulder blade (I got her as a quitting smoking reward, and she represents my oldest daughter). Most of mine are "hidden" unless I want to show them off, with the exception of the one on my inner wrist. By the way, did you know there's a whole forum dedicated to "alterna-chicks"? For tattooed, pierced and just alternative lifestyled gals?

Saskatoon's quite pretty, I actually live a little north, and only venture down to the city sometimes. I would love to hear about your hitch hiking adventures sometime!!

Glad I could give a little moral support!

Also, remind me to tell you about "the battle of the fat girls" that happens at my gym sometimes! I am entertained (I am one of the 2 fat girls involved LOL).

mochi74
04-16-2011, 02:43 PM
I weigh more than you and I go six days a week. There are men and women of all shapes and sizes. No one gives a crap what anyone else looks like. They're all too busy doing their own thing..

Btw - I have seven tattoos, five of which are visible. I just rock 'em out!

heheheee ROCK EM OUT! Indeed I will!

I know I am not that important to look at :)
Everyone has a staring problem in Oklahoma....it's just so rude. The gym is a LITTLE better! If you're walking down the road here and not in your pickup truck.....you usually get mocked and yelled at.
Weird huh?
I gotta move soon! :dizzy:

mochi74
04-16-2011, 02:47 PM
I have a small Kanji tattoo on my inner wrist that means "inner strength", the only way to hide it is with a watch! I also have a dragon fly on one calf, a lady bug on one ankle, an african grey parrot on one thigh, and my newest and favorite, a large fairy on my shoulder blade (I got her as a quitting smoking reward, and she represents my oldest daughter). Most of mine are "hidden" unless I want to show them off, with the exception of the one on my inner wrist. By the way, did you know there's a whole forum dedicated to "alterna-chicks"? For tattooed, pierced and just alternative lifestyled gals?

Saskatoon's quite pretty, I actually live a little north, and only venture down to the city sometimes. I would love to hear about your hitch hiking adventures sometime!!

Glad I could give a little moral support!

Also, remind me to tell you about "the battle of the fat girls" that happens at my gym sometimes! I am entertained (I am one of the 2 fat girls involved LOL).

OK I gotta hear about the battle........hit me :P

mochi74
04-16-2011, 02:52 PM
I am usually, but not always, the largest woman in my hot yoga class. The other day there was a very heavy man there, who could only do about half the class. After ward I was talking to him, he wasn't sure about coming back. (the mirrors are a b***h) But I gave him a pep talk about my experiences, and he was back a few days later. Just concentrate on you, not them!

Yah mirrors SUUUUUUCK! hehehee, even when I was thin I thought so.
Hot yoga is awesome! I'm glad you talked that guy into going back! That was SUPER SWEET!

So many men won't do yoga.....I think it gets them really in touch with feelings that their bodies store and they can't handle it. That's what I have heard from several guys (inc. my boyfriend) :shrug:

mirax3
04-16-2011, 02:59 PM
Yes, GO GO GO to the gym! I promise you will be amazed at how good you feel even after the first time (mind you, the first time is always the hardest, especially if you haven't gone in awhile!). After the first couple times you will feel a lot better physically, sleep more soundly, and start on the journey to better your mental image of yourself as well.
As far as people staring... I have never had that problem so far. I live in Baltimore MD and to be honest most people that come to my gym have some weight of their own to lose and do not judge people at all. As chickadee said, I am always impressed by the people who are doing harder workouts than me but other than that I stay focused and ignore the world around me! Make sure you bring an ipod or some kind of mp3 player... tune out the world around you and focus on why YOU are there, screw everyone else! :P

Good luck to you and please let everyone know what happened!

mochi74
04-16-2011, 03:02 PM
OK, I am procrastinating.....I think I'm about to start....crampy. I don't want to go do this....but I think I will miss the deal if I don't. I am goin to take my boyfriend and make him go or I KNOW I won't make it.
I feel so nervous and silly :(

OhMyDogs
04-16-2011, 03:11 PM
OK I gotta hear about the battle........hit me :P

LMAO ok, so a few times when I have been to the gym (I just kinda go whenever I can, because the city where the gym is is about 40 minutes away), there has been another girl there, maybe a wee bit bigger than I am.

So I will say, get on the elliptical, and get to work. I have gotten over worrying about anyone else, I just plug in my MP3 player, and off I go. So she'll get on the elliptical beside me, and go too. Fine right? No biggie...good on her. Until, suddenly the last time we were both there together, I realized that she's trying to outdo me. She'll stay on the elliptical longer than me, or she'll run on the treadmill when she's watched me walk on it...and honestly I just chuckle to myself. I figure "hey, whatever it takes to keep her motivated". I pit myself against me, and my time/endurance/speed the last time I was there. "Beating" someone else doesn't give me a sense of pride, but beating myself does. It's just funny, and I'm sure people are quietly chuckling to themselves as they watch "the fat girls battle" (even though I'm not battling).

stacygee
04-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Please join a gym... it has made all the difference in the world to me. Don't worry about it being CO-ED. The men are all too busy looking at themselves to worry about other women. I find that it is usually the women who are the ones to wrry about anyway.

I started at the gym at 264. I am not real social. I keep my head down and I work hard. I am very proud of what I am accompishing and I find it much easier to work hard in a gym rather then at home where there are distractions or the neighborhood.

mochi74
04-16-2011, 04:32 PM
Please join a gym... it has made all the difference in the world to me. Don't worry about it being CO-ED. The men are all too busy looking at themselves to worry about other women. I find that it is usually the women who are the ones to wrry about anyway.

I started at the gym at 264. I am not real social. I keep my head down and I work hard. I am very proud of what I am accompishing and I find it much easier to work hard in a gym rather then at home where there are distractions or the neighborhood.

Ok Ok I'm not gonna back out! I just want to REALLY bad!
I need a pool. My knees are so messed up from all the riding my whole life.
I've gotta do this!
Thank you Stacy! :hug:

Lauren201
04-16-2011, 05:07 PM
I'm going to give you some tough love, ok? :D Get over it and GO!!! :D Nothing is going to change if you don't make the changes. You will never get to do all those things you listed in your prior post if you don't make the change. I hate working out with strangers, too, but you know what? I put my ear buds in, listen to my music or watch my shows and I IGNORE everyone. I focus on me and really the guys will be too busy flexing their muscles to worry about you. :D

:hug: Good Luck!

pintamino90
04-17-2011, 01:13 AM
Hello there,
I am new to this site. I thought I could get off my fat, depressed, scared, lazy arse and just start working out in the neighborhood/ walking and doing yoga at home.....NOPE. I won't budge.

I had this gym down the street from me that I used to go to in 2008. I lost about 30 pounds in a couple of months there. It was WOMEN ONLY. It did not have a pool. Just machines, treads and weights. I would work out for almost 2 hours about 4 days a week. I went from 190 down to 160 or so. I just did REALLY steep hills walking and lots of reps.
I would go when no one was there, about 11 pm or later.
Needless to say, I fell in love.....had a major ab. surgery and gained 70 pounds until now.

I called an old gym (one with a great pool) that I haven't been to in over 5 years today. The rep was so cool....he said he'd even give me a corp. discount and everything. This is a pricey gym. It has 3 pools and a TON of sports/ classes etc all included! He told me to come in tomorrow and sign up.
I am scared though because it's CO-ED.
I DO NOT LIKE THAT! I also have a LOT of tattoos. They're pretty and tasteful (as far as tattoos go...even people who HATE tats like mine). :^: But, I live in a VERY conservative city and people always EYE'blank' me because of them. I am NOT a trendy, a druggie, or roller-girl type (not that there is anything wrong with the rollers)...I just like art.

I AM 250 POUNDS! I can't even ride my horse!
I have a plan though I want to drop 100 pounds by next Feb. and teach horseback riding again, go for my yoga teacher training in costa rica and start martial arts again. Am I setting unrealistic goals here? I can't even walk in the gym. :?:
I grew up athletic! I WANT that lifestyle back so much! Where is my courage?
Where is my positivity?
This is the HEAVIEST I have ever been. This weight hurts and it's NOT ME!
You know how I feel? I am SURE. Please.....I need some MAJOR cheerleading here ;)
I AM going to try to go in there tomorrow....What do you think?
Thanks in advance.
Give it to me straight! Why am I SUCH A WUSS!?!:?:

Most guys don't pay attention to girls at the gym anyway because they are focused on their own workout -- which is EXACTLY what YOU should be! Don't worry about anybody else, just focus on what you're doing and you will be fine!

Making excuses isn't going to get you back in the saddle! I need to hit the gym hard-core starting tomorrow myself, a young horse (well, he's 6 now - HOLY CRAP) that I have part-ownership in is going for training this week, and if I want to be able to deal with his greenie bull$h!t next month I have to be in shape. I've been working with him since he was born, unfortunately, I've also gained 80-some pounds since then -- I used to be an athlete, too! And a semi-practicing yogi :)

Just do what you have to do, for you. Eyes on YOUR prize! Be it riding, practicing, or whatever. You deserve to have access to the tools that are going to help you achieve your goals.

mochi74
04-17-2011, 03:10 AM
I'm going to give you some tough love, ok? :D Get over it and GO!!! :D Nothing is going to change if you don't make the changes. You will never get to do all those things you listed in your prior post if you don't make the change. I hate working out with strangers, too, but you know what? I put my ear buds in, listen to my music or watch my shows and I IGNORE everyone. I focus on me and really the guys will be too busy flexing their muscles to worry about you. :D

:hug: Good Luck!

I TOTALLY APPRECIATE THE TOUGH LOVE and you are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! Those goals are NOT attainable if I don't go!
Thank you so much! :cool:

mochi74
04-17-2011, 03:14 AM
:smug:Most guys don't pay attention to girls at the gym anyway because they are focused on their own workout -- which is EXACTLY what YOU should be! Don't worry about anybody else, just focus on what you're doing and you will be fine!

Making excuses isn't going to get you back in the saddle! I need to hit the gym hard-core starting tomorrow myself, a young horse (well, he's 6 now - HOLY CRAP) that I have part-ownership in is going for training this week, and if I want to be able to deal with his greenie bull$h!t next month I have to be in shape. I've been working with him since he was born, unfortunately, I've also gained 80-some pounds since then -- I used to be an athlete, too! And a semi-practicing yogi :)

Just do what you have to do, for you. Eyes on YOUR prize! Be it riding, practicing, or whatever. You deserve to have access to the tools that are going to help you achieve your goals.

Hi horsey yoga friend! Best of luck with your green boy! I bet he'll be great!

So, I JOINED THE GYM EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!! I even took my BF and he joined too!
We are swimming tomorrow ;)

Only thing that kinda k=pissed me off....was I have been there before and they said they would wave the "initiation" fees. They wouldn't though. But Whatever :P
I can't believe my BF is ACTUALLY GOING TOO!
I am so excited!
THANK YOU THANK YOU EVERYBODY! BIG HUGS!!!!!!! :hug:

mochi74
04-17-2011, 03:17 AM
Why can't I get my Weight thingy slider on there? Where is the food/ exercise journal? How do I use this site? Sorry I am tired! :P Yet, can't sleep and feel like fixing acceleration sandwich (yeah real smart I know). HA!

gagalu
04-17-2011, 03:38 AM
girl, put in some headphones and just chill. tune it all out with your favorite band. that's the only thing that keeps me at the gym without freaking out. :)

SweetScrumptious
04-17-2011, 08:41 PM
Congrats on joining and having your BF join to support you (and him) :)

As for the tickers/journals - I believe you have to have a certain post count and amount of time on the forum before you can get one.

MInewgoal
04-17-2011, 09:20 PM
I know that PM's and tickers it takes 20 posts and 20 days.

Congrats on joining the gym!
Just focus on getting done what you need to do!
*really need to take my own advise on this one!

Lauren201
04-17-2011, 09:24 PM
Great job! I am so proud of you!

mochi74
04-23-2011, 01:16 AM
I joined the gym and I am still not going. What the &*%^ is wrong with me? I feel so insecure. I know it's hard to make new habits but.......
BTW my BF hasn't gone once.

mochi74
04-23-2011, 01:51 AM
Great job! I am so proud of you!

Thanks for being proud of me. I wish you were here to work out with ;)
My BF isn't fulfilling his promises yet :P I just gotta go darn it ugh....

silentarctic
04-23-2011, 02:12 AM
Load up your mp3 player with some rockin tunes, or an audiobook that you are looking forward to. Getting there is MORE than half the battle, commit yourself to it, and go there, focus on you and only you and you'll be fine. You can do it mochi.

chickadee32
04-23-2011, 02:13 AM
mochi, you CAN do this. I promise you that you can. I know it's uncomfortable, and I know you feel embarrassed. But those feelings WILL pass, and you will love the way you feel after making it a regular part of your day.

I've heard that it takes a month to break a habit or develop a new one. So how about this: commit to going to the gym 3 times per week from tomorrow through May 23. That's all you have to do, all you have to endure - just one month. You know you can manage one month. So go for a month and see how you feel after that month is over... if you don't feel less insecure, you can look to finding a different way to do regular exercise. But I'm betting you'll be feeling much, much better about going to the gym on May 23 than you do today. :D

LisaP916
04-23-2011, 08:18 AM
Time for some tough love.

Just git off your butt and GO!!!! It really is that easy. No one there cares what you look like any more than you care what they look like. If you're serious about getting healthy, then no more excuses.

JUST DO IT!!! :-)

FitGirlyGirl
04-23-2011, 10:40 AM
What your boyfriend does or doesn't do should not determine what you do. You need to do this for you and nobody else. I was there once, it was really hard for me to go to the gym. I go to the gym on a military base, so there are lots of really fit people and I was scared that even if they didn't show it they would be laughing at me on the inside. Once I got going I realized there were lots of other fat wives too, plus some fat husbands and some fat retirees, lol, we're still outnumbered by the hardbodies, but I am not alone. Nobody cared what I looked like. The few who paid any attention were proud of me and very helpful. I now go to 2 different gyms because I wanted to learn krav maga and my base gym doesn't do that. Both of my gyms are more male than female and more fit people than not, but it's still ok. The other people either don't care about me and my gym going or they are proud of me (there are some other regulars that tell me all the time how proud they are to be watching me change so much). I am now in the gym 4-6 days each week. Nobody ever says 'I wish I hadn't gone to the gym and worked out today'. Get up, get over there, and get it done! You sit here regretting the fact that you aren't doing it. I promise you will not regret the fact that you did. Buy yourself some cute gym clothes if you can afford it (it helped my motivation). If they have group classes then starting with one of those might be easiest for you. Make yourself go at least once this coming week. Work your way up to twice each week and so on until you are going as much as you would like to be going.

Chubbykins
04-23-2011, 11:43 AM
When I see heavier women than me in the gym I always feel respect.
Respect because they do what I do while carrying more weight,
respect because they "play the game in hardcore mode",
respect because obviously are trying to do the right thing for them.

I hope skinnier people than me respect me for the same reasons, if not we're simply not compatible and I do not care.

I am MORE ashamed to be seen in a fast food joint than in the gym. In a restaurant I am a chubby girl feeding her chubbiness. In the gym I am a chubby girl getting thinner. Obviously I have gone more times to eat out than to the gym in the past, so it is actually something easy and pleasant for a change.

Be proud and others will be able to see it.

munchievictim
04-23-2011, 01:53 PM
:hug:
Honestly dear, I'm always more embarrassed about skipping the gym that I am about going. Especially if you're paying for it!! At my old college I used the gym like crazy even though it was full of tiny college girls (which made me ride the elliptical even harder because I want to get there!). I agree with the above poster that the attitude is generally good towards you when you go, only the most worthless kind of people are going to judge you for improving your quality of life, most of them are probably cheering you on silently.
You DESERVE this membership and you DESERVE to GO! Stop cheating yourself and shorting yourself and allow yourself the treat of stretching your body and working the kinks out, getting your heart pumping and getting stronger. These are all amazing gifts to give yourself. The HARDEST part is getting off the couch and putting on your gym clothes. At least in my case, once I get there I'm excited to jump on the machines and get started with my favorite exercise (which you may not have yet but which you will have by the end of your first week). See if you gym has a stretch machine and USE that sucker. That's my favorite part of the workout, stretching my tired muscles out after an invigorating exercise. I always feel so peaceful and comfortable in my own skin when I leave the gym, even if i'm sweaty and panting. It is so much FUN to get in shape, and your body is just begging for it, it will start to snap right back into shape after a couple of consistent workouts and it will just better more fun and easier.
There is nothing to be embarassed about, you should be the opposite of embarrassed because you're self-aware, and you're showing anyone that might think they're better than you that you can go to the gym and do whatever they can do, and that you're not allowing a little extra weight to dictate your life, your happiness and your well-being.
Tough love over. Do it sweetie, it's going to be so great and it's going to open the door for all the wonderful things you want to do in your life. You are just going to LOVE working out.

VegDay
04-23-2011, 02:28 PM
Go and don't worry about anyone else. Can I say you may not get some looks. No I can't. But remember, you have no control over what another person does. You are only responsible for yourself. Go and enjoy your workout. I understand the intimidation. I've been there. Believe me. For myself, I'm a very open minded person trapped in a very conservative looking (many times I've been told) body.