Weight Loss Support - Not counting what you eat right before you work out

j0lamo01
04-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Does anyone else do this? I usually eat a protien bar before I work out that is between 200 and 250 calories. I work out 3 times a week. For the daily caloric needs calculator it adds on about 200 calories to my daily limit if you work out 3 times a week compared to if you don't work out at all. I haven't been adding on 200 a day because that seems like way to much. What I have been doing is giving myself a 100 calorie leeway each day. So my question is has anyone tried just not counting what they eat right before they work out if it is less than 300 cals worth of food? It seems crazy not to count something you eat but in all fairness the reason I am even eating the protein bar right before I work out is to give me energy to work out. So far allowing myself 100 cals a day is working so I guess if I do the thing where I don't count my protein bar then I will stop allowing thew 100 extra calories. Also if I work out more than 3 times a week and I eat a protein bar right before I work out each time should I never count it?

LisaP916
04-14-2011, 03:39 PM
I go to the gym at 5:30am on an empty stomach so I can't comment on that, but I don't understand why you wouldn't count it? If it's part of your intake for the day, regardless of the reason for the intake, then it should be counted.

Otherwise, I could go to McDonalds every morning before I go to the gym and said, "But I'm on my way to the gym so it doesn't count!"

Rana
04-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Personally, I would count it. It's going in your body, you're body is using it, it should count.

I know I'm not perfect with my calorie counting because I know I can make mistakes in weighing/measuring food or even I may forget I ate something one day when I didn't write it down immediately.

But I count everything.

sacha
04-14-2011, 03:46 PM
300 calories is a lot, I would always count it. People vastly overestimate how many calories they actually burn in the gym which is why I would never even change or factor in my calories burned into my daily intake.

At your size, 171lbs, 200-300 calories is a sizable chunk of your daily allowance. I would always count it. The smaller you are, the less room you have for guesstimates if you want solid consistent results.

HokieLoki
04-14-2011, 03:48 PM
I count everything that I eat, no matter what.

But on days I have an extra rigorous workout, I allow myself to eat 100 more calories.

berryblondeboys
04-14-2011, 03:55 PM
I don't eat more on exercise days (which is 6 days a week). I count everything too. But I do it with an app. So, typically every day I have like a net of 700-800 calories which I know is not right. I don't burn as many calories as they estimate I do. If I did, I would have lost over 50 lbs by now, not 34.

WendeeLou
04-14-2011, 03:56 PM
I have to agree with the previous posters.. you should count it!

I currently do 2x a days. When I first started going to the gym at 5:30am- I HAD to have a cliff bar before my workout. My trainer asked if I thought I could hold off and eat the cliff bar AFTER my workout. At first, I tried this and I just couldnt get into my workout. So I started a couple mornings eating 3/4 of the bar, then the next few 1/2 of the bar, and then 1/4 of the bar until I didnt need it anymore. Maybe try something like that? The more you work out, the more energy (naturally) you will have to power through your workouts!

fashinjunkie09
04-14-2011, 04:08 PM
I do count mine, but I also subtract my calories burned on workout days from my net calories. For example, if I ate 1,600 calories today and then burned 200 on the treadmill at the gym, I would still count what I ate all day but I calculate 1,400 net calories. I think I have been estimating my calories in/out pretty conservatively and so far it's working for me!

surfergirl2
04-14-2011, 04:11 PM
The only thing i don't count is raw vegetables such as cauliflower, broccoli, snap peas, bell peppers, etc. I feel like those should be eaten as much as you wish...and i say that knowing i'm not going to eat like 3 pounds of broccoli...i don't love vegetables THAT much.

nitenurse
04-14-2011, 04:18 PM
if you eat it you should count it

carter
04-14-2011, 04:19 PM
I would say count it - you are eating it, so count it. I really can't fathom why you would not count it.

If you are losing weight on whatever amount you are eating now, then why not record that amount as accurately as possible? And if you are not losing weight on whatever amount you are eating now, then again - why not record that amount as accurately as possible, so you can adjust it in a meaningful way?

I just - what reason do you have for not recording it? You've eaten it - that's what determines how it affects your loss, not whether you record it. Why wouldn't you record it?

fatferretfanatic
04-14-2011, 04:21 PM
I count it. Better safe that sorry, to me.

Emme
04-14-2011, 04:25 PM
I count everything. There is no way of knowing exactly how many calories you are burning in a workout.

Ashley777
04-14-2011, 04:31 PM
does this mean I can eat a huge brownie before I work out and not count it! I work out 5 or 6 days a week so more goodies... snort chuckle lol.. sorry this hit a funny bone!

JamiSue3916
04-14-2011, 04:49 PM
I know I'm not perfect with my calorie counting because I know I can make mistakes in weighing/measuring food or even I may forget I ate something one day when I didn't write it down immediately.

I think this is the exact reason you have to "try" to count everything. We could be making mistakes and purposefully omitting something feels like a setup for disappointment at the scale...especially if it happens on a regular basis.

On a good note, if you count, (and secretly you didn't need to), you'll be more under your calories than you thought! YAY!!

sotypical
04-14-2011, 05:05 PM
I do count mine, but I also subtract my calories burned on workout days from my net calories. For example, if I ate 1,600 calories today and then burned 200 on the treadmill at the gym, I would still count what I ate all day but I calculate 1,400 net calories. I think I have been estimating my calories in/out pretty conservatively and so far it's working for me!

This.

If it was like an apple or something, I might be like okay don't count it if you don't want. But energy bars are very high in calories. I would totally count it.

j0lamo01
04-14-2011, 10:13 PM
what I am saying though is that the caloric needs calculator adds allows me to have 200 more each day of I work out 3 times a week. I do no use those extra 200 but intsead I am wanting to just add on 200-250 on the days I work out

sotypical
04-15-2011, 11:42 AM
what I am saying though is that the caloric needs calculator adds allows me to have 200 more each day of I work out 3 times a week. I do no use those extra 200 but intsead I am wanting to just add on 200-250 on the days I work out

I know I get what you are saying but I think what a lot of us are saying, when tracking add the energy bar and also add your exercise. In the end it all evens out.

I feel like by not adding the energy bar you are teaching yourself that it is "okay" to not write things down. I know this. I have been there and I have done it. You have to teach yourself to write it all down.

I guess maybe the real question here is why are you so against writing it down? What's the big deal? There has a be reason. You have gone to enough trouble to make a post and even defend why you don't want to write it down. Even after every single person suggested you write it down you still seem reluctant.

So think about it.
Is it because you don't want to see your total calories for the day so high? Is it because deep down you think maybe you shouldn't be eating that energy bar? Maybe deep down you think you don't *need* to eat it before you work out, so maybe you are trying to it hide it from yourself?

I am not saying any of this is true, but I am just wondering. Why is it that you really don't want to write it down. What's the big deal? If you want it. Eat it. BUT WRITE IT DOWN! That is my motto. Doesn't mean I always live by it, but I do my best.

From my own experience, I lose weight easy when I write every.single.little thing down. As soon as I start letting a couple things slide I gain back weight. Not writing it down really is self sabotage. To me anyway.

carter
04-15-2011, 12:12 PM

I still can't understand why you would eat it but not write it down.

If the question is, can you eat the extra 200 on the days you work out - well, the only way to know is to do the experiment yourself. Eat the energy bar before your workouts for a month or two, and see if you're happy with the way you feel and with your weight loss.

But if you are journaling all of your other food, and you eat the energy bar, you should record the energy bar. Again, I can't see why you would not.

tea2
04-15-2011, 12:45 PM
The way that I would think of it (and I do think that way when planning fuel for intense activities) is that it practically cancels out the calories you burn for a shortish workout. I burn about 350 calories on a moderate 35 min run, less if I walk for an hour. 250 calories pretty much nixes the calorie burn. That's why I only eat stuff like that on very long bike rides or long runs.

aimeebell
04-15-2011, 01:06 PM
I get what you are saying. Whatever you are using to track calories would allow you to eat 200 more calories 7 days a week, but you only work out 3 days a week, so you just want to eat the extra calories on the day you work out, not on your off days. It would throw off your calorie tracker. I don't add exercise into my calorie tracker either. If I were to decide to add in a pre-workout snack, it would put me over my calorie budget.

I think a more important question would be to ask yourself if you really NEED a 200 to 300 calorie pre-workout snack. Depending on what you are doing and for how long, you may not even burn that many calories during your workout. I know I burn about 175 to 300 calories per 2 to 3.25 mile run. There is no way in heck that I am going to run just to burn off the fuel I ate just to get through the workout.

sacha
04-15-2011, 01:49 PM
I just wouldn't be so quick to assume that you are burning X amount of calories, because realistically, we often don't burn as much as we think.

QuilterInVA
04-15-2011, 02:39 PM
You eat it, you count it. How many calories do you burn during your workout? You need to work out at least 1 hour 5-6 days of the week for it to have an effect on your weight loss, 30 minutes 5-6 days a week for health. My motto is you bite it, you write it.

Lauren201
04-15-2011, 02:43 PM
I count everything and I don't eat something extra just because I'm working out. I eat breakfast, usually a smoothie and some turkey bacon, I go workout, then I come back and have lunch. I'm not really even having snacks anymore, just breakfast, lunch and dinner. If it goes into my mouth it's counted.