Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 04-13-2011, 06:48 PM   #1  

Default Do I have to wear a suit?

I don't have an interview yet, but I probably will in the near future. It's for a contractor to a federal agency. Not sure what the dress code is in the office, but I might stalk by there one afternoon to see what everyone's wearing when they leave work.

The problem is, I'm 6' tall and over 300 lbs (apple shape). The jacket I bought from Lane Bryant is too small because I gained a lot of weight over the last few months. I don't have the money to buy a larger jacket, but I can buy a nice blouse and wear it with black dress pants.

Do you think that would be appropriate? What would you do?

Thanks in advance.

AC
AnnieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 336/280/218/150

Height: 5'7"

Absolutely. A nice blouse with dress slacks should be just fine. If you feel under dressed, jazz it up with some accessories - a clutch or some jewelry.
Suit jackets can be too stuffy (even the ones you're not stuffed into!) Scope it out, like you said, but a nice blouse is perfectly acceptable.
Laura G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #3  

Thanks for your reply.

I had an interview back in January and I was SO uncomfortable. I poured myself in a Spanx suit that I wore for my wedding and it just made it a million times worse.

I never wear skirts either so that makes it difficult. I have a zillion pairs of black pants so I would just need to get a nice shirt.

Thanks again!
Old 04-13-2011, 07:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

I agree the blouse/pants is fine but you *must* dress it up. I work for DoD and it's business casual...you see everything from jeans to business suits. LOL!

But, for an interview you're trying to impress. Good luck!
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:09 PM   #5  

Thanks so much. I'm surfing the net now trying to find something decent to wear.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:33 PM   #6  
Keto lady

S/C/G: 206/190/Under 140

Height: 5'5"

This is the accountant in me, but SUIT SUIT SUIT!! You can be as cute as you want when you work there, but the interview outfit must show that you have respect for the job. Traditionally, this means a suit. I work for the gov't, but I still wore a suit to both of my interviews even though the office I work in allows casual clothing.

Good luck, you will be great!
Txalupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #7  

Thanks for your reply. Ok here's the conundrum. I have the jacket and pants, and I'm planning on getting a nice button up shirt. HOWEVER, the suit doesn't look great buttoned. I'm an apple shape and even wearing Spanx the jacket looks snug.

Is it ok to leave the jacket unbuttoned? I will not tuck the blouse in so I don't know if it will look bad/sloppy. I did try to button one of the buttons but it looked like my gut was sticking out. I really can't tuck the blouse in either. That's just all kinds of wrong and VERY unflattering.

This is starting to depress me!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 368/336/165

Height: 5'6"

I don't see the problem in wearing a nice blouse with a nice pair of slacks. Just make the blouse a button-up and iron both the pants and the shirt. Nice pair of shoes and a nice purse, along with some classy earrings and you'll look awesome! Thing is, if you feel uncomfortable, you'll look it. You need to look confident. But that's just my two cents.
iHeartU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:07 PM   #9  

Thanks Elizabeth. I will definitely feel comfortable wearing what I usually wear to work. I thought the jacket would be a nice touch, but only if it's unbuttoned because otherwise it just looks awful.

Thanks again so much for your help.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:27 PM   #10  
Keto lady

S/C/G: 206/190/Under 140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieC View Post
Thanks Elizabeth. I will definitely feel comfortable wearing what I usually wear to work. I thought the jacket would be a nice touch, but only if it's unbuttoned because otherwise it just looks awful.

Thanks again so much for your help.
Yes, I would absolutely leave my jacket unbuttoned if it were not flattering. In the end, do what is right for you. Do you know who will be interviewing you? Did you look him or her up on Linkedin? His or her experience and years on the job may indicate whether he or she is of the new school (no jacket is ok) or the old school (no suit, no way).

I am rooting for you big time, please let us know how it goes!!
Txalupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:22 AM   #11  

No, not sure yet who will be interviewing me. I figure if I at least wear an unbuttoned jacket I have a chance, LOL.

Thanks for your help-I will definitely keep you posted!
Old 04-16-2011, 10:54 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

Honestly, I'm not in love with the unbottoned suit jacket idea. But, I LOVE looking up the interviewer online. Great idea! :-)

Don't get depressed over this clothing thing. Look your best but make sure you are comfortable with what you are wearing. I agree that being comfortable/confident is best regardless of what you wear. You are going to do fine!

Last edited by Cali Doll; 04-16-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:01 AM   #13  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

You haven't mentioned your age or the type of job. The older you are and the more conservative the work, the more helpful the jacket will be. Us older chicks are selling our experience and maturity and the suit helps make the sale.

I always wear jackets unbuttoned because I think the long lines that makes down the front are flattering.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:14 AM   #14  

I'm 29 and the job is for a contractor for a federal agency. I can't imagine it's too formal-I'm thinking business casual.

My interview could be this Friday or at the beginning of next week. I ordered a couple of button down blouses from Lane Bryant and of course there is the jacket. I think I'm good on shoes.

I did try to search for him on the net but didn't pull up anything. I'm still doing research on the company so maybe that will give me some ideas.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #15  
Why can't you?

S/C/G: 334/290.8/167

Height: 5'2"

There's no such thing as being over-dressed for an interview. It's awkward to walk into a situation in a suit when everyone else is in khaki's...but you've demonstrated that you clean up well when the situation calls for it.

Wear the most professional thing you have. If you don't have a suit, look on Craigslist or Freecycle to see if someone has one in your size that they're trying to get rid of. Go to Goodwill--you never know what you'll find.

Good luck.
AZ Sunrises is offline   Reply With Quote