Old 04-11-2011, 07:14 AM   #1  
Woman on mission!

Height: 5'9

Default Problem I face

It is me, myself and I, so it is rather difficult preparing meals for 1 person. After finding healthy and diabetic friendly recipes, it is time consuming decreasing amounts of ingredients. I generally don't prepare more than 2 servings, because I don't prefer freezing meals for later, nor have or use a microwave to reheat leftovers. Also, I rarely have dinner guests over to enjoy and savor authentic homecooked meals with. It is nice and relaxing whilst having guests to eat and converse with. Takes longer to eat, eat less, and chew longer.

Last edited by Butter_Butt; 04-11-2011 at 07:15 AM.
Butter_Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:02 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Butter, I am on my own too and fully understand. I make it a habit to invite someone for dinner or lunch several times a month and also have learned to love the convenience of frozen leftovers or "planovers". I call them my stash.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:52 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_Butt View Post
It is me, myself and I, so it is rather difficult preparing meals for 1 person. ...
So, when I'm alone, I have a set of easy to prepare low cal meals. One version is soup, fish, and fruit

soup: Progresso light chicken soup (1 WW point if you like that sort of thing)
fish: Smoked salmon on a GG brand rye crisp with a little cream cheese
fruit : a (extra sugar free) berry mix I make up once a week ( cranberries, rasberries, blackberries, and blueberries)

The reason why 3 courses is that it helps me to avoid overindulging in any one thing. If I'm tempted by a second can of soup, I say to myself, no, try the fish. If I'm tempted by more fish I say, no, try the berries. By the time I'm done with the berries, I'm done. I know it sounds silly, but there is a whole school of thought, called cognitive therapy, that tries to teach you skills for ordinary situations. Over-indulging in a meal alone is an ordinary situation I think many of us here sometimes face.

Except for the berry thing (which requires pre prep once a week) this takes no time at all to prepare. I warm the soup in a microwave, but I see no reason why you can't do it on a pot on the stove

HTH
--G
georgepds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #4  
Woman on mission!

Ruthxxx,
In the small Town I live, I have 1 dear friend who is very sick and doesn't leave home often. It is impossible inviting her over for dinner or lunch.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #5  
Woman on mission!

Georgepds,
Thank you for the ideas. I appreciate
Old 04-12-2011, 02:28 PM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Butter, take lunch to her. I'm sure she'll appreciate it.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:24 PM   #7  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

My Dad has been going through this since my mother died. Even tho she ate very little in the last while before she died, he preferred cooking for two. He does eat a leftover meal later in the week, (cook one eat twice he says). He eats soup and sandwich for lunch at the seniors centre at least twice a week, and after church on sundays, he goes out to breakfast with some other congregants who are on their own. He is now having dinner with a lady a couple of times a week!
I think it important to think about alternatives for how we eat. When I am on my own, if the weather is good, I head outside, much less lonely!
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote