Weight Loss Support - Odd question..loose or snug?

View Full Version : Odd question..loose or snug?

downsizer55
04-10-2011, 03:01 PM
This is an odd question but....
when you have lost enough weight that your clothes
are loose fitting but you can "squeeze" into the next
size down, which do you prefer to wear? Some days
I like to wear loose ones to remind me of how far I have
come and other days I prefer snug, to remind me of
how much farther I need to go.....:dizzy:

ilidawn
04-10-2011, 03:05 PM
I wear the loose ones because they're comfy lol and they're all I have that aren't 4-6 sizes smaller (man I've gained so much in the past 4 years).

niafabo
04-10-2011, 03:22 PM
I wear the lose ones because if I wear the tight ones my hanging skin which has collected at the bottom of my stomach looks very visable to me besides loser clothes are comfier and easier to move around in. I usually only switch pants sizes when the ones I'm wearing keep falling down to the point that it irritates me. That's how I went from a 20 to a 16 and skipped 18 entirely.

Eliana
04-10-2011, 03:38 PM
I have a tendency to wear my pants for so long the next size I get is two sizes down. :dizzy: So I go for snug because by the time I go for the proper size, the size ups are no longer comfortable. I don't like droopy drawers any more than I like too-tight.

zoodoo613
04-10-2011, 03:42 PM
I think in the past I've switched pretty early on. I get excited! I'm not there yet, but this time I'll probably end up in baggy clothes for a while. I started a new job in the fall (at about my current weight, actually) and got a bunch of new clothes then. I don't really have work clothes in the next size down, and I'm not in a hurry to rush out and buy them. niafabo - I might even try your trick :) if I can get away with it.

ShanIAm
04-10-2011, 03:49 PM
I have a tendency to wear my pants for so long the next size I get is two sizes down. :dizzy: So I go for snug because by the time I go for the proper size, the size ups are no longer comfortable. I don't like droopy drawers any more than I like too-tight.

This is exactly me too! I will not wear anything too snug where the seams of the pants are simulating a grammar school wedgie but I am more uncomfortable with droopy drawers than tighter one's. And larger pants makes me look heavier. I didn't work this hard to let my clothes add 10 pounds! :)

Right now I am stuck between sizes so I have no choice but to go a little baggy right now. It's still belt workable though!

bargoo
04-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Clothes that are too snug just make you look like you need to go on a diet.

iriswhispers
04-10-2011, 03:56 PM
I prefer looser because tighter makes me really self-conscious of my bulges - so I feel horrible and it's pretty uncomfortable, too!

GlamourGirl827
04-10-2011, 04:04 PM
I'm between sizes right now. I will wear the snug ones IF they are just a bit snug and are not physically uncomfortable or don't look ridiculous. But if they look like the zipper is about to pop and are uncomfortable to sit in, no, I'll stay in the loose size.

I have very lumpy hips (I gain weight weirdly around my hips) and the snug size seems to pull that in a smooth it out. Plus I think it look really sloppy to have pants loose enough to get that droopy butt material or that front material hanging going on. That's how I know I need to get the next size down, the front of my pants gets that baggy area in the front and back.

kaebaka
04-10-2011, 04:09 PM
For tops, I tend to go for the more snug fit. I usually wear layers so wearing a snug tank top on the bottom layer helps keep my lumps and bumps looking a bit smoother, but then I can see wearing my smaller tops that I have made a lot of progress. When I wear really baggy t-shirts, I feel like I look the same. But I have a waist now! I definitely want to see it. :)

ParadiseFalls
04-10-2011, 04:34 PM
I do enjoy wearing clothes that used to be tight and are now loose, and I've been wearing the loose ones until very recently when it hit me that I look SO much better in clothes that fit.

I was still wearing my 24W pants from Old Navy, and I was kind of bummed out that I can still wear my old jeans and look more or less the same, but then I tried on a pair of 20Rs (about 2.5 sizes down from 24W) in the store, and they fit and made me look so much thinner than the big ones.

The same goes for my sweaters. The XXLs and 2X make me look round and shapeless, but when I wear 1X and XL, I almost have something that looks like a waist.

Now I'm making a conscious effort not to go out in baggy clothes, so if it's a choice between something loose and something a little tight, I'll go with the tight.

Shmead
04-10-2011, 05:21 PM
I have a pretty strict rule about wearing clothes that fit: not tight-tight, but fit. It's too easy to get complacent in baggy clothes. Teachers have this happen all the time: you spend all summer in elastic waist pants and think you've maybe gained 5 lbs, and when you finally put your work clothes on in August, you have to face the fact that you've put on 10 or 15.

gagalu
04-10-2011, 05:29 PM
i hate loose jeans. i feel like they make me look so much bigger. as soon as i fit into the next size down with out muffin top, i am there to stay.

Nola Celeste
04-10-2011, 06:04 PM
For tops, I tend to go for the more snug fit. I usually wear layers so wearing a snug tank top on the bottom layer helps keep my lumps and bumps looking a bit smoother, but then I can see wearing my smaller tops that I have made a lot of progress. When I wear really baggy t-shirts, I feel like I look the same. But I have a waist now! I definitely want to see it. :)

This is me exactly. :)

I only wear pants of any sort to exercise--most of my life is lived in skirts--but I'll wear those until they're hanging practically at my hips. I have to wear a fitted top, though, because if I wear a loose skirt with a loose shirt, no one can see my waist.

I'm an hourglass, but if I subtract my waist from the picture, I become a cylinder. A wide cylinder, in my case. And I'm short.

Basically, if I don't show my waist, I look like a Fisher-Price Little Person. :D

Horo
04-10-2011, 07:51 PM
^ I'm also one that only wears pants for exercise and such and most of the time am in skirts. I love very full, gathered skirts(that swish around as I walk) and when I wear those, a fitted top is absolutely necessary lest I look like I don't have any shape.

My favorite part of that combination(full skirts and fitted tops) is that it not only shows my shape but really emphasizes my waist, one of the favorite features I've discovered from my weight loss.

icedragon6669
04-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Loose, Just walking around town and seeing women squeezed into too small clothing is enough to turn me off tight clothes, I have a lot of friends who think they are a certain size, well the muffin top and rolls say otherwise and its really made me aware of clothing and how it fits.

ParadiseFalls
04-10-2011, 08:16 PM
This is me exactly. :)
Basically, if I don't show my waist, I look like a Fisher-Price Little Person. :D

:rofl: Me too

gagalu
04-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Clothes that are too snug just make you look like you need to go on a diet.

hahaha i'm pretty sure it's just being fat that does that

GlamourGirl827
04-10-2011, 09:43 PM
hahaha i'm pretty sure it's just being fat that does that

:lol::lol: So right!

Serbrider
04-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Most of my jeans are size 16. I can easily pinch off two or three inches on the leg and can pull out at the waist by three or four inches.

I'm most likely in all size 14's... and my size 12L jeans that are made for curvier girls (with vanity sizing I guess).

I can pull my GAP size 12L jeans over my legs... but can't yet button it up...

So yeah. I want to be in size 12 by Graduation (May 28th), and I recently won a $100 gift card to a local mall... and I want to sell/give away all my baggy clothes and get a whole new wardrobe for summer and college. :) (I'll be buying all of them on sale and from stores like Forever 21 or something with lots of sales and inexpensive clothes. So yeah. Doesn't mean I'm going to stop there... but it'll be a confidence boost and will keep me from going back up to the clothes that I would have already owned.

ETA: Whoops... forgot the actual question. :p I wear whatever's available... not really one more than the other... :)

Cali Doll
04-10-2011, 10:38 PM
Hmm, I most definitely do not like wearing jeans that are too big. But, I absolutely *hate* muffin tops. They make me feel HUGE!

So, I'd have to go for too lose (w/ a belt to help with this) over too tight. But, I'd prefer my porridge to be just right. :)

runningfromfat
04-10-2011, 11:37 PM
If I'm buying something, I buy tight and it gives me motivation to fit into it. However, at the moment I have only really lose fitting clothes because I don't have any money to buy anything else. My last pair of jeans that semi-fit me I can now pull off without unbuttoning them. :dizzy:

I certainly prefer fitted clothes because they are by far the most flattering but we simply can't afford it right now.

krampus
04-10-2011, 11:45 PM
I pretty much only wear skirts and dresses, which generally have maybe 15-20 lbs of "wiggle room" before they look bad on either extreme. I can't face the reality of pants!

04-11-2011, 02:07 AM
I prefer loose as I have plenty of garments in the too snug stage that I'm waiting to fit properly into. I wear mostly skirts, and I can get away with wearing those for two more sizes down without it looking silly. My shirts I like tighter because, as other have said, I now have more of a waist and I look cylindrical without a cinch in there somewhere. :D

I dealt with too tight clothing enough when heavier, I owe it to myself to be comfortable for once. ;)

MedChick87
04-11-2011, 01:36 PM
I honestly prefer to wear the smaller size...just b/c I love the feeling of being down a size haha. On the other hand, I don't wear something that's so small I look ridiculous. But I find that wearing clothes that are too large can look just as silly, so I try to find whatever looks best on me.

LandonsBaby
04-11-2011, 02:09 PM
I loath tight clothing so I wear the stuff that's too big. I'm missing size 12's too so that makes it more complicated. My dress pants are too big but my next size are 10's and they don't fit yet. Actually, I don't think I even want to wear them but I don't want to really go out and buy 12's unless I have to do it.

caryesings
04-11-2011, 02:27 PM
I prefer loose as to me, fitted still makes me think "too tight due to fat". However thanks to a pushy friend, I'm pretty much wearing the correct fit now.

stacygee
04-11-2011, 03:01 PM
I wear the snug ones to remind me to keep going. and I think I eat less when I have snug pants on!

AZ Sunrises
04-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Next size down is always bought from the clearance rack when I'm still muffin topped. By the time I get into them, the larger size looks silly.

As far as wearing, if it's clean, it's fair game.

kaplods
04-11-2011, 09:48 PM
I have fibro and arthritis, and I can't get into or out of tight clothing very easily. Also, when I'm flaring, even normal clothing can feel like sandpaper on a sunburn.

When I'm not flaring, I don't mind snug (not tight) stretch jeans, but I hate the feel of tight tops or skirts. I don't like the feeling that it restricts movement. Also, I hate the "sausage stuffed into a casing" the look (not only on myself but on other people too).

Even tiny girls end up looking fat and lumpy when they wear the smallest size they can possibly squeeze into.

My theory is that if it doesn't look and feel good, it's probably not your size. And if you can't squat or lift your arms over your head without cutting off circulations, it's definitely not your size.

Parenthesis
04-11-2011, 11:55 PM
I wear the loose clothing as it reminds me that my efforts are being rewarded and encourages me to continue to push forward. Squeezing into a smaller size would only further reinforce negative affirmations.

silentarctic
04-12-2011, 12:17 AM
Snug pants, looser shirts, my waist is bigger sized than my hips or my butt so if its LOOSE in the waist its HUGE everywhere else, like... ridiculous feel like i'm wearing clown pants huge. So I tend to get stuff that fits in the but and hips and sadly is a little tight at the waist, especially for jeans made out of stretch fabric, they usually adjust after half and hour and get comfier as the day goes on. I also feel more secure that way. Shirts are looser for me, unless its a tank top underneath another shirt.

therex
04-12-2011, 02:01 AM
I HATE loose pants, they make me feel like i'm wearing mom jeans. I wear my pants pretty snug, as long as they're flattering.

sweetsianjali
04-12-2011, 05:25 AM
I recently came across your article and have been reading along. I want to express my admiration of your writing skill and ability to make readers read from the beginning to the end. I would like to read newer posts and to share my thoughts with you.

mom4life
04-12-2011, 08:16 AM
This is exactly me too! I will not wear anything too snug where the seams of the pants are simulating a grammar school wedgie but I am more uncomfortable with droopy drawers than tighter one's. And larger pants makes me look heavier. I didn't work this hard to let my clothes add 10 pounds! :)

Right now I am stuck between sizes so I have no choice but to go a little baggy right now. It's still belt workable though!

yup, that's me too. I will wear loose pants till wearing the belt looks awful then switch to the next size down. I tried wearing a very snug pair of pants but was way too uncomfortable to do it for much longer.

Brooklynn
04-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Mine are getting really loose and I refuse to buy more until I have dropped more then a couple sizes and then only one or two that fit just right. However I refuse to wear shorts but I love gouchos and I bought a couple pairs of those because they will still fit even after loosing some lbs. I still have the ones I bought while I was pg last summer and now they are loose and comfy LOVE THEM!

downsizer55
04-12-2011, 06:10 PM
I recently came across your article and have been reading along. I want to express my admiration of your writing skill and ability to make readers read from the beginning to the end. I would like to read newer posts and to share my thoughts with you.

Thank you. I appreciate that.

j0lamo01
04-12-2011, 10:34 PM
I wear the snug ones every day except when I have to work. I have a very active job and I need to wear the loose ones when I work because the rubbing against my stomach of the snug ones is too uncomfortable. Tomorrow is a snug day because I will be sitting at a desk all day. I truly believe that wearing my snug jeans helps me to make healthier eating choices

georgeshair
04-21-2011, 04:55 PM
I've stopped wearing my big skirts with the elasticated waists. I had a few older skirts in a smaller size, which I haven't worn for ages. The first one I wore was fine, but I should have looked in a mirror before going out in the second. I've lost 2" off my backside, but it obviously wasn't enough - the back of the skirt kept riding up and I spent the whole day tugging it down! :o

Hamoco350
04-21-2011, 07:28 PM
I really hate clothing that is too tight so I would prefer the loose clothes. For bottoms, since I'm a pear shape, it takes me forever to get to the next size. So definitely loose for the pants. For the tops, it just depends. Some tops look great even when they're too big - I guess it's just the style of some shirts.

Overall, if I'm have a clothing dilemma, I always have my skirts or dresses. Those last me for a long time!

Arkani
04-22-2011, 06:41 AM
I wear whatever's clean usually, but if i'm going out and between sizes, i'l layer the top so things get a bit more smoothed, and go for the tighter jeans (can't wear skirts/dresses due to some childhood issues.)