Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/174/155

Default what activity/exercise/sport have you been meaning to try?

is there any activity/sport/exercise you have been meaning to try? i thought it would be fun to share, and maybe if someone has tried said activity, they could share their experience/thoughts on it.

even though i'm lacking upper body strength, i would love love love to try rock climbing. there's a climbing wall in brooklyn (i think it's called brooklyn boulders, for anyone in the nyc area) that offers beginners classes, so i might check it out in the next few weeks. also, i would like to try a pilates class--i feel like even though i regularly practice yoga, i totally neglect my core, and i hear pilates is awesome for building core strength.
mel23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/167/140

Height: 5'2"

I would like to try yoga and machines at the YMCA. At this point I walk and swim.
MonicaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Mel, I did rock climbing in college and remember being surprised at how easy it was. Of course I thought I was fat at 113 pounds then. I've been meaning to try again but my best friend is too chicken. LOL!

Gosh, there are so many "adventure" type things I want to try:
I want to go on the 50 mile hike with the boy scouts but that's a week without bathrooms. I'm scared.
Kayaking
Canoeing
Mountain climbing...gotta find a mountain first
Day trip on a bike...this I'm actually going to do, and soon.
Run a marathon, or at least the length of one.
Skiing
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:02 PM   #4  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

I finally went hiking this weekend. In snow. That was interesting. My quads got a much better workout than I expected...

I'd like to try water sports -- long swims, rowing, parasailing. I'm not much of a swimmer but I think when I lose a few more pounds I'll commit myself to being more active in ess clothing so I work on my body self-confidence.

A long bike ride is also on my list (for three weeks from now). I've recently started yoga and love it. Also, just as a recommendation for anyone else -- try fencing! As a former competitive fencer who loved it, I recommend the sport wholeheartedly for the fun aspect. And you burn a lot of calories jumping around that little strip.
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Yoga. I've been lifting heavy weights for years but can barely do a downward dog I'm so inflexible. I got a few DVD's and the yoga encyclopedia a few days ago to attempt to change this

And yes rock climbing as well! It just isn't possible right now due to childcare. Will def. do this once I can have someone else watch him.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/169/149

Height: 5'5"

Hot yoga! I also want to try kayaking, and eventually rock climbing on real rocks. My school has a climbing facility that is free for students, so I've recently begun climbing there, but would love to actually do it outdoors. Eliana, I don't know that I'd use the word "easy," but I was actually surprised that I was able to make it to the top on my first try. My whole body was shaking from the exertion, but I made it, which I hadn't expected to be able to do! Mel, I suggest giving it a try, even if you're lacking the upper body strength. I'm told that if you're doing it correctly, you climb with your legs, not your arms.

Currently I am practicing martial arts (taekwondo), playing soccer, and running, but I think I could squeeze in another activity. If anyone has martial arts on their "things to try" list, I highly recommend it!
AriRuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

zumba
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #8  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriRuns View Post
Eliana, I don't know that I'd use the word "easy," but I was actually surprised that I was able to make it to the top on my first try.
LOL! I didn't explain myself very well. At the time I weighed 113 pounds but felt like I weighed 300 pounds. I was terrified that the rope would break. I was ridiculous, truly, but those thoughts were real. So in comparison to what I was expecting, I found rock climbing to be relatively easy. I'm sure going into it now thinking it would be easy would be a giant mistake!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 275-280/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 6.5"

I'd have to say rock climbing as well. When I was a kid I got to try it and absolutely loved it since I was good at it...except for the coming back down part lol. My weight stops me now though because I don't think my hands and wrists could deal with the strain (they're weak now after an abusive boyfriend slammed them repeatedly through the bedroom wall)
ilidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 155/122ish/120

Height: 5'4"

i have always been fascinated by fencing and want to try it one day. talk about a quad work out.

mel23 i have no upper body strength to speak of and i tried (and loved!) rock climbing a few years ago. surprised at how easily i managed...i was climbing up that thing like a nimble little monkey. if you live in manhattan, as i do, there should still be one at lincoln center...in that atrium across from the met. roxa mexicano is right down the street.

ariruins i did bikram yoga pretty consistently two winters ago but stopped when summer rolled around...it's terribly therapeutic and cleansing. i only went a few times this season because i got caught up at work and ended up going to the boring gym instead.

Last edited by leblebi; 04-10-2011 at 08:12 PM.
leblebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel23 View Post
is there any activity/sport/exercise you have been meaning to try? i thought it would be fun to share, and maybe if someone has tried said activity, they could share their experience/thoughts on it.

even though i'm lacking upper body strength, i would love love love to try rock climbing. there's a climbing wall in brooklyn (i think it's called brooklyn boulders, for anyone in the nyc area) that offers beginners classes, so i might check it out in the next few weeks. also, i would like to try a pilates class--i feel like even though i regularly practice yoga, i totally neglect my core, and i hear pilates is awesome for building core strength.
Mel, I've actually been planning on going to Brooklyn Boulders! I'm hoping to go sometime in May. My weekends have other random things going on until then. If you go PM me and let me know how it is!
tiffany0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:01 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 178/174/155

leblebi-- thanks for that tip! i will have to check it out!
tiffany--will def let you know how it is if i go!
mel23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:30 AM   #13  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Kite surfing!
Though I think I need to reach somewhat goal first and be really fit to enjoy it.
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:39 AM   #14  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I want to go further with weights. I'm not doing deadlifts or pullups. In fact, I need to change up my dumbbell routine, so I just got the Arms & Shoulders disc P90X disc all by itself & I'm going to change over to that later this week. (Probably not till Sunday, as I can't take the disc with me to the gym & need to have some kind of written notation of the exercises to refer to. I can't do it at home because I don't have a stable bench or a sequence of dumbbells there. But I need to watch the disc a second time & make notes.)

Last edited by saef; 04-11-2011 at 10:40 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I have always, always wanted to try boxing.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote