Veggie Challenged - What veggie do you STILL hate? (part 2)

Suzanne 3FC
04-09-2011, 10:30 PM
The original thread (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/veggie-challenged/67811-what-veggie-do-you-still-hate.html)lived a long life and hopefully made some of us think twice about a few veggies we thought we didn't like. Though I still don't like cauliflower!

So....

What vegetable do you absolutely hate?

Is this something you've hated since you were a child, and have not given it another chance?

Have you tried cooking it multiple ways, in case it tasted better in another version?

anna ng
04-09-2011, 11:11 PM
Water chestnuts. The texture makes my teeth hurt just thinking about it.

pattypaw
04-10-2011, 03:08 AM
Beets :barf:

Lauren201
04-10-2011, 03:53 AM
green beans, peas, beats.. the list could go on.. basically all vegetables with the exception of asparagus, broccoli and the the lettuces that come in the spring salad mix. LOL It's taken my husband a long time to get me to eat the few veggies I will eat... the poor guy!

JollyGreenSteen19
04-10-2011, 08:19 PM
I have a lot of canned green beans (like 7 cans) and I just can't quite eat them. They are great in green bean casserole but plain they are EW. I don't want to waste them, but I try and try and try to eat them... gag.

I also can't do celery... unless it's drenched in a few 100 calories of peanut butter. I keep buying it and trying it with some lite dips I make, but nope. Ew. The same for cooked spinach. Unless it's in a creamy cheese vehicle or on a pizza, the texture and taste make me gag.

I have gotten better about eating them. My favorite vegetables are green peppers, zucchini, asparagus, broccoli if it's cooked and seasoned right, and some times cauliflower depending on the circumstances :).

seagirl
04-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Peas. I so want to like them. They seem like the perfect thing to throw in every dish. But bleck. I throw them in and then eat around them or pick them out. I try them in restaurants. I try them fresh from the farmer's market. And still I do not like them.

MissyMelissy
04-13-2011, 01:39 AM
I will have to agree with the majority here and say peas. I friggin' hate those little green jerks.

Peas have been the bane of my existence since the early years. I really don't think there is a way to prepare peas and have me like them.

I can tolerate pretty much every other vegetable in existence, including the much chagrined okra! Peas though...ugh. Keep them away!

tommy
04-13-2011, 04:10 PM
Well to the pea haters - I would not sweat it as the little round lovelies are a starchy vegetable. I must confess to loving them. As a child it was creamed peas with fresh dill (heavenly), and now I toss them in various preps for a sweet nugget to balance the dish. And of course they are the best ice pack ;)

corazonas
04-13-2011, 04:46 PM
umm... does it count as knowing i hate it if i still THINK i hate it and refuse to try it again?

if yes then, brussel sprouts, beets, and radishes.

i can eat tons of other veggies though so i don't sweat it too much. i used to hate broccoli too and there was not enough cheese sauce in my whole days' worth of calories to make it edible so i just didn't bother. as of today, I steamed two cups and added Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Sauce and parmesan cheese and HOLY CRAP it tasted like WINGS. Thank you God, for blessing me with Frank's Red Hot. I think it could make anything delish.

emily88
05-05-2011, 03:31 AM
Pretty much any cooked veggie except for corn. It's just the texture of it that does it for me. Raw I can usually handle with only mild complaints, but things like cooked peas and carrots... Bleh

Nola Celeste
05-05-2011, 03:46 AM
Cucumbers and celery. I see so many people here who adore these two pale green harbingers of pukey death, but they remain the only two vegetables I truly cannot abide on their own. I've broadened my vegetable horizons to include everything from arugula to zucchini and will eat virtually anything else set before me, but celery is so nasty that I don't even like to chop it as an ingredient because that penetrating smell gets on my hands.

I envy people who consider these things food; they're so low-calorie, I really wish I could enjoy them. :(

brokengently
05-05-2011, 04:45 AM
- Vegetable pear or chayote... I've tried so many times but I still hate it. I don't know if it's the taste or texture, or both.

- Ginger... except if it's tea... otherwise, I spit it out :p

- BAMBOO... just yuck!!!

rockbanjo
05-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Bell peppers of any kind and zucchini... BLEH

TrishG
05-06-2011, 02:09 AM
umm... does it count as knowing i hate it if i still THINK i hate it and refuse to try it again?

if yes then, brussel sprouts, beets, and radishes.

i can eat tons of other veggies though so i don't sweat it too much. i used to hate broccoli too and there was not enough cheese sauce in my whole days' worth of calories to make it edible so i just didn't bother. as of today, I steamed two cups and added Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Sauce and parmesan cheese and HOLY CRAP it tasted like WINGS. Thank you God, for blessing me with Frank's Red Hot. I think it could make anything delish.

This made me LOL I LOVE Franks to!!!

TrishG
05-06-2011, 02:21 AM
Okay I'm really pickey. Always have been. People used to ask me "so what DO you like?" I have a texture issue okay!!! Welllll I have been trying very hard to introduce new (healthy) foods into my diet. I can now withstand the following veggies without wanting to gourge an eye out or something =P
Cucumber
Tomato
colorful peppers
avacado
carrots
artichoke

I've always liked
raw spinich (not cooked eww!)
lettuce and salad greens of sorts
green beans
water chesnuts
brocolli
cauliflower
asparagus

I still can not stand:
Peas!
Okra
zucchini
squash
and I'm sure a multitude of others I have yet to think of or have tried!

bluemonday
05-19-2011, 01:19 PM
asparagus
cauliflower
edamame
dark lettuces, they are too bitter
turnip greens
kale
rubarb
brussel sprouts
radishes
celery unless it's cooked

I am sure there are more those are just the ones I can remember.

Even the veggies I like I don't want to eat much of.

alinnell
05-19-2011, 01:40 PM
Brussels Sprouts

I hated them as a child and have recently attempted to embrace then but still avoid them as much as possible. While roasting them makes them more palatable, they're still bitter IMO.

AshleyLaurent
05-21-2011, 10:14 AM
okra and celery. Anything else, I'm fine!

WeightForMe
05-24-2011, 10:55 PM
I will have to agree with the majority here and say peas. I friggin' hate those little green jerks.

LOL!

Beets- neverrrrr gunna even....dont bother trying.

TerraIncognita
05-25-2011, 05:35 PM
When it comes to veggies, I can be pretty finicky and child-like, but most I can tolerate, particularly if they are cooked. For me it's a flavor thing, not a texture thing, but cooking seems to mellow veggies out and allow one to introduce herbs and spices.
But those that I have always hated:
Carrots (yes, I know everyone loves them, but the taste - gack!)
Fresh tomatoes (I love them stewed, sauced, dried, but not fresh)
Nori (why must you eff up lovely sushi!?)

MoniqueDiet
05-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Radishes and beets. :-)

Katz
06-10-2011, 06:42 AM
First corn and green beans, these are the most tasteless veggies I've tried, bell peppers give me hickups for a day or two, so it's hard to enjoy them
Oh, and fennel...

Ruthxxx
06-10-2011, 07:02 AM
Any veggie that's over cooked
Okra - I gag on it
Cooked celery but it's fine raw
Brussels sprouts although I can eat them roasted
Vegetable marrow - a nothing vegetable
Any vegetable cooked with fish en papillote - Who likes fishy veggies? :shrug:

HeatherEljohari
06-10-2011, 08:21 AM
I dont think theres any veggie I really dislike. I feel blah about peas. I can do without them. Maybe thats a good thing-- I see the farmers market and get exdxcited! Maybe im crazy. :p

desperate99
06-29-2011, 03:29 PM
okra! The only way it is bearable is if it's deep fried and smothered in spices! Its just so slimy otherwise...Another vegetable I absolutely cannot stand is radish.

gsb126
07-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Corn - got sick on it as a kid, and even the smell makes me gag.
Tomatoes - I have to agree with George Carlin on this: they don't look like they are done, yet. :) I can eat salsa, marinara, or ketchup, just no raw tomatoes.
Iceberg lettuce - just too dang bitter for me. Romaine is fine, although I've found I prefer fresh spinach to lettuces.
Lima & butter beans - Just plain gross.

CuteNcurls
07-12-2011, 12:24 PM
It has to be the texture that does it for me:
-cooked peas
-cooked green beans
-any type of squash
There's something about all of those foods that make me gag as soon as they touch my tongue. I find it interesting though because I love raw peas (which aren't allowed on IP) and I enjoy raw green beans...they're a little crunchy but it's way better than the texture they have no matter how they're cooked.

To pose another question...what are some veggies that people like and find helpful to switch up the staples on this diet? I was a meat and potatoes girl up until I started IP last week. Although, I enjoy salads and some veggies I'm having a really tough time not cheating because I can't seem to get enough variety.

Bellamack
07-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Lima Beans!

Razberri
07-15-2011, 07:37 PM
I cannot deal with onions, mushrooms or tomatoes(Although I eat salsa, pasta sauce, etc.). A lot of these have to do with textures and whatnot, I can't bite into an onion, I don't like the flavor either. Mushrooms I like the flavor okay but the texture creeps me out, I don't like the sort of squishy bite back or the juice, they tend to hold moisture being a fungi and all. Tomatoes, I can eat if they're REALLY seasoned and ground up and mixed with other things, hence, the salsa and sauces. Other than that I like most other veggies.

scottysgirl7682
07-15-2011, 08:04 PM
I basically love all veggies, with the exception of celery and cooked spinach. It doesn't matter if you try to cook the spinach with something else, I'll still taste it, and won't wanna eat it. And celery is just too bland and completely tasteless. BLEHCK!!!!:barf:

ringmaster
07-18-2011, 10:56 PM
since it was mentioned - I'm not a big fan of cooked spinach myself. cooked baby spinach is ok, but the full grown leafs leaves that iron, gritty taste in my mouth that doesn't go away for awhile. But I'll eat both raw, so I can't say I don't like spinach at all.

I've never had okra or brussels sprouts so not sure if I'd like them.

In the other thread I said I didn't like raw tomatoes - and I swore I would never ever like them. Well - I think eating them in salsa, chili and other foods has helped me adjust to their taste. I'm starting to actually put a few slices on my sandwiches and on salads. I'm training myself to atleast tolerate them since they are on almost everything and everywhere and they are a pretty decent vegetable nutrition wise.

Keldug
07-19-2011, 10:29 PM
Its a tie between Brussel sprouts,Artichoke,and Eggplant! BLAGH!

RowdyBliss
07-20-2011, 04:25 PM
I used to be a vegetable-hater until I went vegetarian (long story, personal reasons not worth getting into because, meh, who cares! LOL).

Point is, now I'm FORCED to have a relationship with vegetables so that I can get the right nutrition. What I found is that crusing websites looking for vegetarian recipes gave me a whole new way of looking at preparing and eating veggies. You wouldn't believe the inventive things some folks have done with vegetables, and a lot of them are really, really good. There's a magazine called Vegetarian Times that has spectacular recipes.

I still cannot abide lima beans or okra, but everything else? Yeah, I'm down with it. :carrot:

Embuhlee
07-25-2011, 02:13 AM
Cauliflower. Can't stand it, and never will be able to. I've tried it on a number of occasions and always end up gagging. xD

LotusFlowers
07-31-2011, 10:14 AM
We have carrots, brocolli, roma tomatoes and bag salad in the fridge. Right now, I'd have to say, I hate the raw brocolli. I dunno what it is, but I always feel like I'm eatting a little mini-afro, and I feel bad chewing it. I have to have a little fat free salad dressing on it, or chase it with water or else I sit there chewing it for a hour because I can't force myself to swallow.

Celery would be my number 2 hated veggie. I just don't like how it gives off that celery smell when I bite it.

On a plus note, I've started liking carrots a bit and I like how the roma tomatoes pop in my mouth lol.

wagfam
07-31-2011, 10:37 AM
Mushrooms surely. I just dont like the texture.

fight2winthis
08-01-2011, 07:29 PM
I hate ALL vegetables, raw, cooked, steamed, baked, whatever. Yep, I'm doomed I know. All except rice, potaotes and corn (are these even veggies?). I need to find a way of incorporating them into my diet, but dont know where to start. Whenever I find vegetables before me, I feel as if im being punished for my weight gain. Help!!!

Sunshine87
08-01-2011, 07:46 PM
I love just about every vegetable when prepared (not all can be eaten raw) except PEAS. I could eat them if I had to but I would not be sad if I never ate one ever again.

Hungry4Health
08-17-2011, 03:07 AM
Two Words:

Baby Corn

sheramama
08-17-2011, 09:34 PM
Peas

When I was kid, I refused to eat them. My dad force fed them to me and I threw them up. I still can't stomach them to this day, 24 years later.

bronzeager
09-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Lentils. Do they count as a vegetable?

They taste like dirt.

When you tell lentil fans this (I haunt a lot of foodie sites, and they LUUURVE them some lentils) they will bombard you with with their FABULOUS ONE OF A KIND recipe for lentils, which they swear will totally convert you. Except that all of them turn out to be either

a) lentil soup, which I can put up with occasionally if there is enough tomato/hot sauce in it, or
b) lentils with curry, which makes me nauseous. And you can still taste the dirt.

Guaranteed, every single one of these unique and special recipes will turn out to be one of these two recipes, with only tiny variations (this one has two garlic cloves instead of one!).

STOP TRYING TO MAKE LENTILS HAPPEN, PEOPLE.

Sakai
09-18-2011, 11:14 PM
Celery!! that evil demon veggie!
Whoever first believed that floss held together by watery cells filled with a hint of plant flavor would be good to eat needed to be slapped up side the head. Even as a little kid, I was told I licked the peanut butter out of the celery stick. even today...ever so often I'll take a bite of a raw celery stick just to give it another go. i always chew 2 or 3 times, then remember just how much I hate these things and spit it out.

Cut them small and cook them to death is the only way I will eat them. Give it to me raw and I'll beat you with it.

I have issues with eggplant but i admit that I'm not all to sure of the right way to cook eggplant. So i'm giving it a few more tries.

RedPanda
09-26-2011, 06:18 AM
Okra - slimy!

Pumpkin or any form of squash - urgh! Even zucchini is a bit suspect.

Potatoes - waste of space!

Sweet potatoes - even worse!

Peas are a bit dodgy - sugar snap peas and snow peas are much nicer.

Savoy cabbage - bleagh! Red cabbage is yummy and Chinese cabbage is OK if it's prepared nicely.

Brussel sprouts - ick!

Iceberg lettuce - another complete waste of space. Why would anyone want to eat it, when there are far more nutralicious types of lettuce available?

All other veggies are yummy, especially dancing carrots!

:carrot:

ETA: I forgot turnips and swedes - disgusting!

shr1nk1ngme
10-12-2011, 10:26 PM
I have never met a vegetable I didn't like. I like pizza and cheesecake a lot better, but I love pretty much all vegetables. My favorites? Asparagus, broccoli, spinach. Least faves? Cooked carrots (love 'em raw, though).

grim
12-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Just celery. Gross.

mcflubber
12-28-2011, 06:09 PM
Eggplant. I've tried it boiled, broiled, fried, baked, in soups, stews, and casseroles...it's just nasty! And I can only eat collard greens if they're cooked with ham or bacon, which cuts those out.

Oh, and okra. I've never tried it, but my grandmother put one in the microwave when I was a kid, and it exploded out at me when I opened the door. Scared the ever-lovin' crap out of me (I thought it was a bug), and I've never been able to convince myself to try it.

Everything else is fair game, though.

mizzie
12-30-2011, 12:55 PM
Let's see... is there a limit to post length? :p

Veggies I hate no matter what:
peas
onions
tomatoes
green beans (I'll gag at even just the smell of it!)
squash (any kind, unless it's pumpkin pie. LOL)
avocado (although if it's a tiny bit in sushi I can eat it)
Brussels sprouts
zucchini
yams
artichoke
eggplant
peppers
Hmm... I know there are more I can't remember now. If it's not on one of the other lists, assume it should be on this one.

Veggies I'll tolerate ONLY if raw:
broccoli
cauliflower
celery
carrots
lettuce (and by raw on this one, I mean in something cold. I can't stand it when they put lettuce on a hot sandwich. It just gets all slimy. YUCK!)

Veggies I like no matter what:
potatoes
corn

... yeah. Weight loss is hard for me.

graatsia
01-06-2012, 04:05 PM
What is it about the texture of vegetables that you don't like? I'm very curious, because the big variety in the texture of vegetables is what I enjoy so much. It's interesting to see how differently different people think.

Can you tell me? :)

graatsia
01-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Eggplant. I've tried it boiled, broiled, fried, baked, in soups, stews, and casseroles...it's just nasty! And I can only eat collard greens if they're cooked with ham or bacon, which cuts those out.

Oh, and okra. I've never tried it, but my grandmother put one in the microwave when I was a kid, and it exploded out at me when I opened the door. Scared the ever-lovin' crap out of me (I thought it was a bug), and I've never been able to convince myself to try it.

Everything else is fair game, though.

Oooh, I had exactly the same problem but I kept on trying until I found a solution and now eggplant is one of my favorite vegetables if not the number one yummy!

The trick that works for me is to barbeque or otherwise cook it very thourougly in a very hot oven with some fat.

A recipe for making eggplant delicious (if it doesn't work then you can officially say that you hate eggplant):
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut ends off eggplant and cut it in half lenghtwise. With the tip of a knife, score the flesh deeply in a diamond cross-hatch pattern. Put the halves on a pan, pour some soy sauce over them and smear about 1 tsp of pesto across each half. Roast in oven for about 40min or until soft and tender (try poking it with a fork to make sure).

If this doesn't work, nothing will :P

stan255
01-08-2012, 01:57 PM
Brocoli

MonicaM
01-08-2012, 02:03 PM
I cannot tolerate okra, because it always tastes slimy to me. I like cucumbers and green bell peppers, but they do not like me! I avoid both, and substitute red, yellow or orange bell peppers for the green. One sliver of either will give me severe stomach/gas/burping problems.

I cannot think of any other vegetable I do not like.

rachaelm
01-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Raw tomatoes, but if mixed in pico de gallo I love em.
Okra, other than fried, and that makes it not really a veggie.

chickadee32
04-17-2012, 02:58 AM
I think all of mine are texture things rather than taste things. Water chestnuts and raw celery. *shudder* And most beans. I've come to kind of like or at least tolerate fresh green beans, black beans and chickpeas, but otherwise I can't really do beans. And the smell of canned green beans still makes me sick.

Two Words:

Baby Corn

Yeah, it freaks me out too. :lol:

xiaobaicai
04-19-2012, 07:19 AM
I can only think of a few vegetables I don't like, and even then it depends on how they're cooked.
-Eggplant: Sometimes cooked into a dish it's nice, particularly if it's served up spicy. But other times it's got this utterly noxious, fart-like taste that takes so much water to get washed out of my mouth.
-Mushrooms: Depends highly on how they're prepared. Raw mushrooms are way too intense. Sometimes cooked mushrooms are okay, but other times they take on a really rank flavor. Nutritionally, I don't feel like I'm missing out on much, anyway.
-Raw broccoli: I LOVE cooked broccoli, but eating the stuff raw is too tough to chew. Plus it always results in little green bits in my teeth.
-Uncooked tofu: I saw one of my co-workers eating dried tofu rolls straight, so I thought I'd take a little nibble off the end of one to see how it went. The first word to come into my mind was ballsweat. Enough said.
-Brussels sprouts without the centers carefully removed, and without a whole ton of roasting: The amount of roasting required to make these tasty feels like it destroys the phytonutrients that make veggies so valueable.
-Cucumber, sometimes: I don't know why, but I sometimes find the taste of straight cucumber to be really nasty. I always throw it into a salad, and it's fantastic with the dressing. During college, I had a Chinese room mate who would stir-fry chicken and cucumber (a vegetable that doesn't seem amenable at all to being cooked), and it would make the whole kitchen stink of something unidentiable and highly unpleasant.

I think that's it. I do really like vegetables of almost all sorts, although I've been shying away from some of these melon-like Chinese vegetables.

kakeJ
04-19-2012, 08:39 AM
Okra, I tried and tried. I can eat almost all other veggies, but OKRA. Just not gonna work.

Laifierr
04-19-2012, 10:16 AM
I think I liked beets as a small kid but now I find them repulsive.

Luceia
05-04-2012, 03:38 PM
Zucchini, eggplant, okra, baby corn (it doesn't even taste like corn!), and radishes. Oh, and turnips and parsnips. Ick!!

All other veggies are divine in my book (or rather, on my tongue). Yams, peas, avocados, onions, mushrooms, artichokes, beets, carrots, water chestnuts, beans of all sorts, and broccoli are my faves, though. I can (and frequently do) eat these daily and never tire of them.

samcakes
05-05-2012, 02:16 AM
baby corn
water chestnuts
bamboo shoots (dont know if thats a veggie)
brussell sprouts
raw carrots
celery
beets
pickles
olives

pretty much anything with a less than desirable texture

ive never even tried baby corn. i cant even look at it without being grossed out

i also hate pickles and olives to the point that if it even touches my food, i can tell, and i cant eat the meal. it wont even be on the plate, but my spidey senses can tell when pickles and olives have been on my plate

Iyakamae
05-05-2012, 01:54 PM
I'm not fond of bitter tasting vegetables, or what my perceptions of bitter tasting vegetables are, so here is my list;

Brussel sprouts
Peppers; red, yellow, green
Celery

I'll give all most anything a try, but those three can't pass these lips.

RandomPaige
05-14-2012, 02:12 PM
can only eat raw:
Lettuces, baby spinach, carrots, celery, cucumbers, cauliflower, broccoli, sugar-snap peas, snow peas,

can only eat cooked: asparagus, tomatoes, yams, potatoes, all other peas, green beans, corn, brussel sprouts (only if sauted with garlic), g/y/r peppers, onions, artichokes, baby corn, bean sprouts

I'm not eating it regardless: Eggplant, squash, zucchini, mushrooms, okra, collared greens, beets, cabbage, turnips, parsnips, bamboo shoots, all other legumes.

I keep coming back to squash, I keep trying it, my friend makes a mean spaghetti squash, but thats the only way I can stomach it.

Some stuff like raw tomatoes and mushrooms are more texture than anything

HappyHoliday
05-14-2012, 07:13 PM
Eggplant, Brussels sprouts, zucchini

I haven't had okra ever

Marchmallow
05-29-2012, 06:50 PM
The king of all vomit-inducers... AVOCADO (or Satan's Feces, as I call it)

Elsewhere is Fine
05-31-2012, 04:05 PM
Tomatoes :o
Zucchinis

aniela26
05-31-2012, 04:24 PM
This thread is so funny! Thankfully I'm not a horribly picky eater and will eat pretty much anything you put in front of me (almost!). That being said, I'm also a pea hater...peas and cooked carrots! I'll eat them, but I won't be happy about it!

thehappyimp
05-31-2012, 04:55 PM
Green peppers and Lima beans

MiMi81
05-31-2012, 05:04 PM
Glad to know there are so many pea haters our there! Peas are the biggie for me. others on the list include:
--Beets
--cooked carrots (most cooked vegetables)
--okra

DominiquedelMer
06-10-2012, 10:06 PM
I like peas, I like bell peppers (the green ones are good on pizza, and I'll eat the red ones raw), I like broccoli and eggplant, and I'm happy to eat tomatoes raw.

But lima beans and brussels sprouts? They are not actually food and I won't eat them.

lucindaarrowspark
06-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Hate a vegetable? for shame! every vegetable is improved by roasting rather than steaming. or juicing. I am a vegan so i can no longer be picky. Howver if I had to hate a vegetable it would be ... nope still can't do it.

Astrild
06-13-2012, 06:10 PM
I love a lot of the veggies mentioned here... And I adore peas! I didn't know they were so hated. Typically I'm at peace with anything that comes out of the ground, but I'm a veggie myself. In terms of things that taste like dirt, I've become a pretty regular drinker of Kava root, which really tastes like nothing other than dirt. Still, I'm at peace with it and actually enjoy it. lol

The only veggies I tend to avoid are water chestnuts and celery... I'll eat water chestnuts if they're in a dish, but would rather not.

tommy
06-14-2012, 11:18 AM
The only veggies I tend to avoid are water chestnuts and celery... I'll eat water chestnuts if they're in a dish, but would rather not.

But have you ever had fresh waterchesnuts? - a world of difference from the canned.

SaraWrites03
06-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Radish. *shudder*

Suzll
06-19-2012, 04:24 PM
Lima beans and beets! Bleah!

I used to hate avocados, but I'm okay with them now!

queenie91
06-19-2012, 05:06 PM
Peas and mushrooms. I HATE mushrooms.

Aunrio
06-19-2012, 05:47 PM
I can't stand mustard greens, they are bitter to me.

EmilyLarnder
06-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Beets!! And cauliflower.

biggirl86
06-19-2012, 08:54 PM
celery, asparagus and pickles=yuck!

alaskanlaughter
07-30-2012, 12:52 AM
im actually fairly picky LOL

i dont like water chestnuts, avacados, cucumbers, green beans and eggplant...i'm sure i can think of more that i dont like either LOL

happytobeonthisdiet
07-30-2012, 11:28 AM
definately brussel sprouts!!! Yuck!

COchick
07-30-2012, 12:30 PM
I can't just eat a stick of celery. All that stringiness grosses me out.

I also don't do raw tomatoes. In a dish, they're fine, but sliced on a sandwich...barf.

Ladybug10
07-30-2012, 05:37 PM
I highly dislike raw tomatoes! The texture and taste grosses me out to no end. I also don't like cooked mushrooms. I love the raw ones in salads but I can't stand he texture of the cooked ones. Other than that, I love vegetables. Hated them growing up though but I took baby steps when it came to eating them. It took me a loooong time to come around to celery, but now I am able to eat them without anything on them for a light snack or an addition to a meal.

ugogurl
10-30-2012, 11:26 AM
Bell pepper, ugh, actually I never taste them because their odor make me throw up. I still remember the first time my aunt cooked bell pepper with beef. So yummy, right? Not for me. When I smell the veg, I immediately ran to the restroom and threw up all my breakfast :-ss (btw sorry if it gross u out). Now it actually better, I still can't stand the odor but at least I don't react strongly as I did when I was a kid.
Another veggie I can't never like is bittermelon. My dad loves them, but for me? No, thanks, I'll pass.

penmage
10-30-2012, 09:55 PM
Mushrooms, zucchini, most squashes, and bell peppers! It's all so... slimy! And strong smelling. Yuck.

toastedsmoke
11-03-2012, 09:38 PM
I'm still not at all fond of onion (raw or cooked), raw tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini...

AmyAmy
11-06-2012, 09:10 PM
Raw tomatoes. I can have a small amount on a sandwich as long as there's lots of sauce, but otherwise I still hate them. Another one is cucumbers. I've been trying to eat them in burgers and sandwiches, but they just make everything taste watery. I might see if I can get myself to like them with dip.

Ms A
11-13-2012, 09:46 AM
Mushrooms. They just freak me out... the smell, the taste... ergh

Clumsy
11-14-2012, 10:14 AM
Celery. The texture is all wrong with those strings. Other than that I love all veggies.

farore
11-14-2012, 03:56 PM
I hate tomatoes, cooked or raw. Celery is nasty.. too stringy/crunchy/flavorless. And I hate raw carrots, but they are really good cooked. If mushrooms count as a vegetable I only like them breaded.

Some of my favorite foods though are vegetables. Asparagus, cabbage, cauliflower, brocolli, and brussel sprouts are amazing to me.

Oh and onions, I love onions too.

owlsteazombies
11-21-2012, 02:37 PM
Tomatoes. All the snot..disgusting.

Beets. Oh my gosh how I hate beets!

trabo2009
11-30-2012, 06:01 PM
Peas and beets - in any way, form or fashion. I'm actually using the smell of canned peas to help me quit smoking. Ick by association.

missheidi87
12-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Sweet and hot peppers. Celery.

ReillyJ
12-25-2012, 05:25 PM
I've grown to love almost all of them however i'll usually take a pass on water chestnuts, radishes, cucumbers, *cooked* carrots are kind of meh, and will never eat brussel sprouts again after getting food poisoning 34 years ago!

i'm astounded after really getting into "clean" eating, how many whole foods i love now that i used to hate! :carrot:

penmage
12-30-2012, 08:09 AM
Peppers and water chestnuts are two that I still can't force myself to eat. There might be more, but I generally stick to vegetables I know I like anyway!

MarjorieMargarine
01-02-2013, 12:26 AM
So funny. Reading the title of this post I thought, "I like pretty much everything." I don't consider myself veggie challenged at all, and fortunately never have been. But reading through some of these posts made me remember veggies I despise that I don't think of often, fortunately-
-baby corn is disgusting
-oyster mushrooms are not too great (but other mushrooms are awesome)
-nori/seaweed makes me want to vomit. Fortunately most sushi places will do wraps in soy paper if you ask, but I've embarrassed myself a couple of times at sushi restaurants because I tried to choke down something with nori in it. It is impossible to be discreet about how nasty it tastes to me. For a long time I thought I just hated sushi, it was only recently I realized it was just the nori.

I do want to encourage everyone to keep trying stuff. I have had a couple of weird experiences where my tastes absolutely changed. I hated olives all of my life, the smell made me nauseous. Until one day two years ago, I started thinking of olives and thought they sounded good. Now, I can almost not get enough of them for some strange reason.

I also have to say, I'm rather surprised by the number of people who find celery and cucumber so objectionable. I think of those two vegetables to be particularly mild and watery with very little taste. Not that there's anything wrong with hating it, it's just so interesting to see how different peoples' tastes are!

fidotornado
01-14-2013, 09:48 PM
Peas and Tomatoes (even though they are technically a fruit) just cannot get used to either of them

McMurphy
01-14-2013, 10:12 PM
I loathe mushrooms. Never ever ever will eat them. Same with zucchini, peppers and okra.

I love peas!!! And green beans too. Broccoli is my favorite though.

PinkWaterfall
01-16-2013, 07:51 AM
I hate everything about brussel sprouts... the taste... the texture... everything! Nasty little vegetables!!

I also quite dislike aubergine (eggplant)... I can eat a little of it if I have to, but the taste is rather unpleasant.

Psychic
01-16-2013, 01:42 PM
I absolutely hate tomatoes, bell peppers, beets, seaweed/nori, all beans (except black beans, edamame, and green beans), and onions (unless sauteed). I will still try to eat foods with these veggies in them if its served to me, but I really dislike them. Raw tomatoes make me gag. I'll eat tomato-based pizza sauce, but I'd prefer alfredo or olive oil on my pizza. Sweet peppers and raw onions also make me gag. I simply don't eat beets or beans because they're gross.

Other than that, I'll eat any vegetable.

TheWanderer
02-18-2013, 04:44 PM
I'm surprised that so many don't like tomatoes or peas, two of my favorites.
I don't like okra, edamame, tomatoe paste (too sweet), or canned green beans. I love fresh green beans and most all other veggies. I'd never heard of bitter melon until this thread. I had to look it up. I don't think I would like it.

Kisigin
02-25-2013, 10:50 PM
The only vegetable I hate, and I mean really hate, is asparagus. The weird thing is that as a child I couldn't get enough. I loved the stuff. Cauliflower has always been a bit of a take it or leave it situation for me.

JessicaSki
02-28-2013, 07:06 PM
Kale! I have grown to choke down collards but I still can't manage to do kale. I think it's because once upon a time I tried juicing and I did a green juice with kale (big mistake).

Candeka
02-28-2013, 07:09 PM
Peppers, Onions and cauliflower. Bleh.

AlmostMe
03-02-2013, 06:03 AM
awwww.... I love me some veggies - and I really didn't like any of the cruciferous veggies as a child - they tasted so strongly of sulfur to me. (broccoli, brussels sprouts)

Some of my fave veggies are the ones most hated in this thread. Peas, okra, avocado, mushrooms. Okra is my absolute fave...and not even fried. (Folks i never cook okra on its own, it's always cooked with tomato which makes it a lot less slimy). Beets. Love beets. Pan fried with a thin coating of rye flour...delish!

But - I still don't like:
*raw celery - it's the strings
*bitter melon - I tried. If forced I'd try again.

And I have great sympathy with the baby corn haters. I don't hate it. I will eat it. I think it looks so adorable, but I would never fork out money for it.

coffeeshopgirl
03-03-2013, 04:57 PM
Yeah, I can't do raw celery due to the stringy texture either.

Kale is way too bitter for me.

Water cheasnuts and beets have a really weird texture all their own (not a fan).

I'm growing to add onions into things, but only if they're pureed, lol.

That's my two cents. What a cute thread!

Leaves
03-04-2013, 07:08 AM
Joining in with the pea-haters here. As a little kid I was sick once and saw the peas again. I've never been able to eat them since :barf:

Also sweetcorn. I think I just don't like little vegetables- such a pain to keep on your fork!

MarjorieMargarine
03-04-2013, 09:57 PM
I love veggies. BUT I CAN NOT STAND BEETS. I have tried and tried so hard to like those beautiful little buggers. They are SO pretty and they look SO good, but they taste. Just. Like. Dirt.

I have had them prepared every possible way. And they still taste like dirt.

loofa
03-05-2013, 11:54 PM
Canned green beans make me want to die.

JollyGreenSteen19
03-10-2013, 05:41 PM
Kale. Carrots.

amandie
03-10-2013, 06:06 PM
Beets. Canned spinach and canned asparagus, ugh!

melsweetie84
03-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Can't stand beets! Asparagus, canned, it's horrible, but cooked fresh the right way, I'll somewhat tolerate it but dang it, if I can choose something else, I will!

Oh, and being a Southern Gal...I seriously gag if I even smell boiled cabbage or mustard/turnip/collard greens! I like raw cabbage just fine though.

shcirerf
03-16-2013, 12:24 AM
I see a lot of veggies, that are not available around here, so I have not tried them, so I cant' say about that.

But I can say, I love veggies, except for parsnips.

I like aspargus, shrooms, brussel sprouts, cabbage, green and yellow beans, peas, raddishes, corn, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, okra, cukes, zukes, celery, onion, pepper, carrots, jicama, spinach, garlic, kohlrabi, and so on.

Rhiko
03-19-2013, 12:01 AM
All of them? lol

I've never been a big fan of veggie's and I still cannot eat them on their own! For the one I can't stand: ONIONS! So disgusting!

reanbean
03-29-2013, 12:20 PM
I HATE ASPARAGUS!!! I'll eat it drenched with salt, oil, and waaay overcooked, but in my opinion, this is expression of my deep hatred for the vegetable. I also do not enjoy green beans unless they come out of a can :p

penmage
03-30-2013, 07:15 PM
-Peppers of any kind
-zucchini
-squash except butternut and white acorn
-mushrooms
-eggplant
-corn! Nasty little kernels.

Other vegetables? Bring it on. But those? Nuh uh. I'll go hungry, thanks. *shudder*

LadyP2013
04-01-2013, 12:37 PM
celery
okra
spinach

........list goes on

FitMamaOfTwo
04-03-2013, 09:03 AM
I hate canned vegetables. I like them fresh or from frozen.

I used to hate beets but now I can eat a little bit...I'll never love it though. I HATE artichokes which surprises me!

Pretty much I hate lima beans but I haven't eaten one in 20+ years so who knows.

penmage
04-03-2013, 06:58 PM
Urg... I discovered another one I don't like today! Radishes. I feel like I should go brush my teeth to get the taste out of my mouth!

Sunday115
04-03-2013, 07:17 PM
Cooked carrots (most veggies I prefer raw). And I will NEVER like sweet potatoes/yams. They make me want to barf.

Lots of hate on the Beets, I just made a beet salad to go with dinner. I love em lol. And asparagus/Brussel Sprouts are tied for my fav veggies.

Sanveann
04-10-2013, 11:29 AM
Hmmmm. Don't care at all for turnips. Not a huge celery fan, though I don't mind it cooked. Have never been able to develop a taste for kale.

junebug37
04-15-2013, 11:39 AM
The number one veggie I still HATE: summer (yellow) squash!! Hated it since childhood, still do. Have tried it over and over with no results. This pretty much includes zucchini! I have made a soup with butternut squash for the fall and it was pretty good!

Katie816
04-19-2013, 03:20 PM
Lima beans will always be terrible.

Roo2
04-19-2013, 03:28 PM
Kale Chips Super Yucky and a waste of time making!

Prefer raw to cooked veggies myself!

spiritualflow
04-24-2013, 11:52 AM
Tomatos. Just... no. I also don't like cucumbers, sweet peppers, green beans, olives. Sometimes I will cook with peppers, and force myself to eat it, but I REALLY don't like the other stuff.

reanbean
04-24-2013, 04:52 PM
Wow, I'm baffled. I probably wouldn't eat vegetables if it weren't for tomatoes, cucumbers, and sweet peppers. Although I'm with you on the green beans and olives. If an olive sneaks into my food, it's like sitting on a tac for me.

spiritualflow
04-24-2013, 10:10 PM
It makes me sad! Because I don't eat enough veggies because those are pretty major ones. It took me forever to like lettuce... LETTUCE! And onions. When I first started getting food at Subway, I would only put lettuce (once I finally decided I liked it), now I have added onions, pickles and hot peppers. I can do cucumbers in sushi though. I'm a very picky eater, which makes it extremely hard to eat healthy. I'm not just picky with veggies. I'm picky with my meat and even junk food (I can't stand most flavours of chips... or cookies..). It is getting a bit better though, I will taste things, and for the most part I will eat stuff I don't like if it's miked in with other things... but after about 1/2 the meal I will start picking at it again :p *sigh* One day!

Tibbits2u
04-25-2013, 10:10 AM
I cannot stand asparagas, cauliflower, kale, turnips or brussels sprouts .I cant eat raw celery or raw carrots..although i do love them cooked

spiritualflow
04-25-2013, 10:23 AM
^ I completely forgot, I don't eat celery, or raw anything... and I probably don't like asparagas, kale, turnips, or brussels sprouts either :(

Hoopty
04-25-2013, 10:27 AM
Collard Greens, Brussel Sprouts, Turnips, Celery, raw carrots, eggplants.

Anything else I can tolerate. For example: I'm not a fan of cooked veggies. I'd rather eat them raw but I wouldn't freak out if I had to eat them.

Mii
04-25-2013, 11:25 PM
OLIVES!!!

Celery unless it's being juiced, cooked carrots, beets unless juiced, lima beans.

Remington90
04-25-2013, 11:30 PM
Tomatoes hands down. Don't really know why. Never liked them, try REALLY hard to like them.. and I just can't.

If they're cooked and mixed with something, that's alright.

Skinnyminnie Wannabe
06-20-2013, 11:24 AM
Raw tomatoes - slimy, seedy, weird skin to choke on, etc. and don't care for the taste. I'm fine with tomato paste (though can't eat too much of it or I'll get acid reflux) - and smooth non-chunky spaghetti sauces and Mexican sauces (mild).

Peppers (see my "Bell Pepper Rant" thread :D )

Onions that are detectable - texture problem - green onions are okay.

Vegetables cooked till they lose their fresh green color and crispiness, and become soggy brownish blobs.

I've noticed several on this forum don't care for lettuce and find that interesting because as a picky eater in general, iceberg lettuce was my first voluntary "green" vegetable! But I think I understand - it's similar to the way I feel about onions. Nowadays re iceberg lettuce, I find it too bland and prefer Romaine, Green Leaf, or a mild baby mix. And I like raw spinach.

Terra1984
02-10-2014, 12:30 AM
brussel sprouts
Beets
Lima Beans
Peas
Cooked Celery (Yuck) Raw is okay with peanut butter sometimes
Asparagus

Dottington
02-10-2014, 12:41 AM
Eggplant. i've tried so hard to like it. Also mushrooms. All mushrooms. I've never liked them. I've tried to like them too! My brother is a gourmet chef and tried basically every type and way you can cook them on me(I even hate truffles and truffle oil). But yeah eggplant...sigh I've done so many recipes and people really like them but I just can't stand it.

Onion that's noticeable. I cook with onion and it adds a nice flavor but I can't stand chunks of onion in things.

Growing up I really hated all vegetables because my mother didn't know how to prepare them. She boiled ALL vegetables in salt water till they were almost mushy and I couldn't stand them.

Terra1984
02-10-2014, 12:54 AM
RandomPaige OFF TOPIC but isnt your picture from the movie Labyrinth with Jennifer Connelly and David Bowie? If Im right thats cool, I LOVE that movie

DominiquedelMer
02-10-2014, 01:13 PM
Brussels sprouts and lima beans - I maintain that they're not actually food, and as such, I don't eat them.

Arwen17
03-06-2014, 05:01 PM
Celery, it tastes awful no matter what I try. The smell alone makes me nauseous.
I eat broccoli, green beans, and kale all the time and really like these green veggies. Spinach occasionally.

justagirlinthecity
03-14-2014, 07:22 AM
Hate, hate, hate brussel sprouts! I've tried them every way and they still taste foul - even bacon can't make them taste reasonable! Also hate parsnip, cauliflower, squeaky green beans & raw celery. I don't like broccoli but if i chop it up really small and put it into a meal I can stomach it. Greens like spinach, bok choy etc. I can eat if covered in sauce. Kale I can't stand. :o

Velvet bean
03-14-2014, 07:59 AM
Cauliflower and brussel sprouts. Blah. :rolleyes:

canadjineh
03-18-2014, 12:29 AM
I've tried multiple times but I can't do turnips, parsnips. I'm still iffy on fennel, sometimes ok, sometimes not. My FAVES are roasted brussel sprouts with a tiny bit of olive oil, asparagus roasted or on the barbeque, broccoli stir fried, very fresh firm mushrooms raw, fiddlehead ferns lightly steamed with a splash of balsamic, poblano peppers and red sweet peppers raw. ETC..... love most veg!
:carrot: :broc: :hungry:

Liana

Oh yeah, very important - I hate celery unless it is organic... Regular celery has a horrible bitter chemical spray taste. Organic does NOT have a bitter taste. I can tell with the first bite even if someone doesn't let on the celery is regular.

whopoopwrasse
07-28-2014, 02:07 PM
I hate:
raw tomatoes
cucumber
raw onions

just the smell of cukes makes me gag, I've recently tried all 3 again since they really put a dent in salad making but NOPE!! I still hatem! :dizzy:

Katerine
08-11-2014, 01:30 PM
Mushrooms and eggplants, I just can't get over it!

1Bluerose68
08-11-2014, 02:08 PM
I adore most veggies cooked, esp in a slow crock pot cooker.I usually steam them w/ my rice, almost daily. But I don't care for anything raw except fruits, or celery w/ cream cheese or pb on a few stix.;)

BamaGalRN
08-11-2014, 02:24 PM
Totally can't get into radishes, celery, water chestnuts, bell peppers, or turnips. Other than those, I could practically be a vegetarian. I love veggies, but I just can't get past those few veggies.

Autumn Night
08-14-2014, 09:11 PM
I thought I'd add my own list of most hated veggies.

Green peas. Oh, how I detest them.
Okra. Horrible, just horrible
Large Beans. The mouth feel makes me want to hurl.
Sugar snap peas. I would rather starve then eat them.
Brussel sprouts. There is no way to cook them or sauce them to cover up the horrible taste.

On to the not quite so bad.

Cook carrots. A pulpy tasteless mess.
All canned veggies, except for tomato products.
Miniature cucumbers. Repulsive flavor. Not like a real cucumber at all.
Bell peppers. Oddly unpleasant sweet/bitter flavor.
All overcooked veggies. My mom cooked the heck out of all veggies when I was a kid.
All "pre-sauced" frozen veggies. The sauces taste like chemicals.
Overly sauced home cooked veggies. A little cheese sauce goes a long way.
Roasted veggies. They taste too sweet.
Cooked turnips. Raw turnips are delicious. Cooked tastes as bad as it smells.

I like to eat vegetables raw whenever possible. My all time favorite vegetable is raw, home grown beefsteak tomato. Its sweetness and acidity is the perfect balance of flavors.

Wannabehealthy
08-17-2014, 10:57 AM
I love vegetables. I had to read through the thread to find something I don't like and that would have to be okra. In it's defense, I'm in the north and okra is more of a southern thing. Also, I've only eaten canned or frozen okra that is in canned or frozen mixed veggies that I use for vegetables soup. I purposely buy the mixtures that have the okra because I think vegetable soup SHOULD contain okra to be real. I've heard that fried okra is great, but I don't eat many fried foods and that is not available in the north. Maybe at Cracker Barrel, but we don't go there. I have also never tried broccoli rabe, but would probably like it because I love wilted greens including kale. I've also never had kohlerabi. I would have to google to find out how to prepare it. My favorite vegetable right now is cooked carrots combined with brussels sprouts. I just love that combination and will make it sometimes for a snack.

Also, I have never eaten fennel so I don't know if I like it or not. Lately, because I've been trying so many different vegetables, things like corn, peas and green beans are not my first choice because they are boring. Also, I like my vegetables without any sauces or butter and just a dash of salt. I like to taste the vegetables, not cheese sauce. If I want cheese I'll eat mac and cheese. Since I am doing low carb, I might like that new Mac and Cheese they are making that uses cauliflower instead of pasta.

A lot of this has to do with the fact that I have a poor sense of smell. Some people have a very sensitive sense of smell and that turns them off to a lot of vegetables. My 5 year old grandson has a super sense of smell and when you give him a new food he always sniffs it before he will try it. If he doesn't like the smell he won't try it.

Also, there are people who are super-tasters. Their taste buds are more sensitive, so a bitter taste is much stronger to them. DH hardly eats any veggies except peas and corn.