General Diet Plans and Questions - 17 Day Diet

Pages : [1] 2

View Full Version : 17 Day Diet

FitSarah
04-09-2011, 11:38 AM
I am looking for info on this plan...and I can't find any posts. Can someone direct me to the right place (or...if there isn't one, give me some info)

My priest is on this and he has lost 25lbs and looks great!

Thanks!
Sarah

pvgal
04-09-2011, 12:09 PM
I am just starting the 17 Day Diet today. Looking for others to join in!! I have the book on my Kindle...thinking it would be better to have the actual book...due to needing to flip around a lot, but....I live 100 mi. from any bookstore and wanted it ASAP.

Hope others on the 17 DD or any just starting will share their journey!

pvgal
04-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Sarah...can't believe it's just you and me wanting info and support for the 17 Day Diet! I've looked and looked and can't find any Forum or Thread for it.

Are you just starting it? Today is #1 for me....had my cup of hot water with lemon...and having a cup of black coffee (have always used cream!).

Maybe someone will see our posts and join in!! Sam

Toni48
04-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Hi I'm on C1 day 12 of the 17DD. I've lost 6 lbs so far. Its a great diet and I am loving it.

FitSarah
04-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Well...maybe we should make our own support group then. I am shocked more aren't talking about it. I was going to start tomorrow.

reptogirl
04-09-2011, 01:12 PM
i have never heard of it!

MonicaM
04-09-2011, 01:17 PM
I haven't heard of it, but would love to know the details. Please share!

JohnP
04-09-2011, 01:22 PM
Looking through the Amazon reviews I smell a rat. A large percentage of the 5 star reviews are written by people with one review only ... their short, not insightful review of the 17 day diet plan.

If you look at the bad reviews they all say the same thing. Nothing new here. What did they expect? The marketing claims that there is a new a revolutionary way to lose weight were accurate? There are no shortcuts.

At least to the credit of the book it does appear to make the point that you're not really on a diet you're embarking on a new lifestyle.

pvgal
04-09-2011, 01:22 PM
Hi Toni and THANK YOU for responding!!!!! So glad to hear that it's going well for you. My neighbor did the 1st 17 days and lost 15 lbs. and she really liked it. Easy to follow etc.

Seeing that you've been a member of 3 FC for awhile...is there any Forum or Support Group for the 17DD??

Just had my breakfast of 2 egg whites (added some salsa), blueberries and green tea.

Hope we get others to join in! So far it seems only you, Sarah and me!!!

JohnP
04-09-2011, 01:26 PM
Oh and if you don't want to investigate what the 17 day diet is I'll tell you since I just did.

Eat veggies, a couple servings of fruit, and lots of lean proteins. Seems to be something about a power cookie (addiitonal charge).

There are 4 17 day cycles after which you're ready to go out onto your own.

Toni48
04-09-2011, 02:02 PM
PVgal- Theres no forum for this diet here. Its only been out a short time so maybe we've started one on here. Its a really good diet and I'm learning allot from being on it. One is its a lifestyle change.

pvgal
04-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Hey Toni...I'm in if you are!!

John....the Power cookie one makes...so don't know what you mean by "additional charge". Think the Power Cookie (should one want to eat it) is a breakfast choice but not until the 2nd 17 Day Cycle.

The diet is truly not just 17 days....it's a series of 17 day cycles...that revs up one's metabolism. Nothing unhealthy with any of it...just eating more natural foods, staying away from processed foods and bad carbs. It's 3 meals a day, 2 snacks. Of course, the 1st 17 Day cycle is the most restrictive.

bargoo
04-09-2011, 03:06 PM
It's new to me , too.

Toni48
04-09-2011, 03:18 PM
I had a yogurt and an orange and green tea for breakfast. I should have had a couple of eggs. But for lunch I'm going to have a taco salad so it will be filling. I still have a fruit left before 2. I've got me some nice red grapes in the drawer in the fridge. Tonight I think I'm going to make me a burger out of ground turkey breast with veggies in it. And some brussel sprouts and a salad. Next week I'll need to make me a pot of the chicken veggie soup in the book. Its so good.

FitSarah
04-09-2011, 04:31 PM
This should be great and I'm excited. My priest is very active and he has gained more energy now than before...and lost 25 lbs too!!!

Toni48
04-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Yes I'm really excited about it. People are losing really good on it. I watched it on the Doctors tv show and another place on line. I can't wait to weigh in Monday and see how I've done this week.

JohnP
04-09-2011, 05:00 PM
John....the Power cookie one makes...so don't know what you mean by "additional charge". Think the Power Cookie (should one want to eat it) is a breakfast choice but not until the 2nd 17 Day Cycle.

The diet is truly not just 17 days....it's a series of 17 day cycles...that revs up one's metabolism. Nothing unhealthy with any of it...just eating more natural foods, staying away from processed foods and bad carbs. It's 3 meals a day, 2 snacks. Of course, the 1st 17 Day cycle is the most restrictive.

Sorry that was my cynical side sneaking out.

I would be highly interested in these purported claims of reving up one's metabolism. I mean the author wouldn't just be making that up so clearly he must refer to some study that has been done to demonstrate that a specific combination of foods would cause someone's metabolism to increase.

graycyn
04-09-2011, 07:19 PM
I just read the book, it's not the diet itself so much... it's the fact that it's low calorie and fairly low carb, at least in the beginning. Basically, if you eat according to the plan, you'd land at around 1200 daily calories give or take for the first 17 days. That's low enough calories for many to lose on regardless of what they ate (or when) and given the fiber from the veggies and water and green tea that is required, that's going to help with weight loss as well.

It explains why some of the reviewers complain about being tired on the diet. That would be way low calories for me daily, and I'd get pretty cranky and headachy real quickly. I doubt it would be a good idea for anyone who is being VERY active as you could run your metabolism into the ground on calories this low! At least the doctor points out that you need not be very active and that you really only need to go walking once or twice a day (2X being optimal) for 17 minutes at a stretch.

That makes good sense. On really low calories, you don't want to be engaging in vigorous activity. He also suggests as calories and food choices increase later in the plan, to also increase activity. More good common sense.

The first 17 days is the strictest part, then he alternates strict days with days where you get an additional two servings of healthy carbohydrate, which would probably add in the range of 200-400 calories depending on the carb choice. At this point, you have basic carb and calorie cycling. It's still reasonably low cal in the second phase.

He adds more food choices in as you go, but none of this diet is really anything new. It's all about lowering calories and getting some exercise while eating healthy whole foods and drinking your water while avoiding added sugar. No magic or mystery. The diet is about eating frequent, smaller meals, about every 3 hours. Again, nothing new.

I have no doubt whatsoever it can work and work well, but I do doubt it's because of any special 17 day time frame, or anything like that. That's just marketing. This diet is just another way of keeping calories down and becoming more active while eating healthy. And keeping your body guessing a bit by alternating days of lower carb and higher carb. All the stuff we know can work, but don't always practice!

For those who haven't read the book, if you tackle this diet, you'll need to like your veggies. You also need to be willing to drink green tea and plain water. No added sugars, you are supposed to be moderate with salt and of course moderate with healthy fats as well. No calorie or carb counting is involved, just paying attention to when you are full and when you are hungry, so that's a plus. And it's not super low carb, because of allowing the two fruit and yogurt servings in the beginning phase.

Whether you really need the book to eat this way and lose weight is debatable, but the book is an easy read and the author's style pleasant. I think it was about 184 "pages" on my Nook e-reader. I don't see anything wrong with the plan but it might not be for everyone and that too, is nothing new on the diet scene.

Toni48
04-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Well said...... Sounds like it to me. Its not easy and no real diet is. The thing I do like about this is its healthy food. Lots of veggies. Good protein. and you're able to have 2 fruits a day. Its allot easier with the book to know which veggies and fruits, and protein's you can have in which cycle. Most diets work if you stick to them and change your eating habits. But I think the trick is to make it a lifestyle change and not a temporary way of eating.

pvgal
04-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Good review Graycyn.....yes it's not NEW info.....just a different approach and it's rather simple in form. I figure it can't hurt and maybe will be just the thing to start my body losing again....and a nice break from counting points for a couple weeks.

FitSarah
04-10-2011, 02:56 PM
So, are we "in"?

pvgal
04-10-2011, 03:28 PM
HI Sarah! I'm in.....this is only Day #2 for me but .....it went fine yesterday and probably....for the first time in my life....I wasn't hungry for some reason. Perhaps just a fluke!!!

Had 2 eggs this am and blueberries....after my hot lemon water. Step by step I guess. Can't see that it can do any harm. Good luck!

Toni48
04-10-2011, 03:40 PM
I had a very late breakfast. Fiddled around this morning so finally just ate. Had a boiled egg, huge navel orange and hot green tea. This is D13C1 for me. Can't wait for C2. I've had a hard time the past couple of days but stayed with it. Can't wait to weigh tomorrow.

pvgal
04-10-2011, 04:21 PM
I'm excited for you Toni...let us know!!!

Toni48
04-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Woo Hoo lost 2 lbs. for a total of 8 so far.

pvgal
04-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Good going Toni! Looks like 8 lbs. in 14 days...I'd say that's impressive. It's Day 3 for me and so far, so good. Can't believe that I'm not starving but I'm not. And surprisingly...I really enjoy the hot lemon water in the am and....even drinking my coffee black.

sluggo44
04-11-2011, 05:56 PM
OMG, I'm so glad I found this, I just started this today. I have been trying forever to get back on southbeach but I last about 3-5 days so I'm hoping this will be the one that clicks with me

Toni48
04-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Oh boy I've got to get busy on my water today. I've been running in and out all day and not drinking it. I usually don't have any trouble. Made me a taco salad for lunch. Its the last of my taco meat. Did get some tuna on sale today. I'm starting to get low on fruit.

sluggo- I've been struggling trying to lose weight and then I decided to try this because I've read so many good reviews on the 17DD. I can't believe I'm doing it. Hit just right with me. I hope you have good luck with it.

pvgal- You know I don't mind the lemon water at all either. I do have trouble just sticking to a couple cups of coffee in the morning. Sure am getting the veggies in. Thanks for the encouragement. Hope you're doing well today.

pvgal
04-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Hi Sluggo....Welcome!!! We're all just starting this...Toni is our "long-term" gal so far! It's very simple...yes restrictive but...for 17 days.....and results...YES! Good luck!

Toni..I am getting my water in and that's a 1st for me...as water has never been easy for me. Suddenly I want it! CHicken and green beans tonight....we'll see how tomorrow goes!

sluggo44
04-12-2011, 10:27 AM
Hi everyone, well got thru yesterday YAY!!! My biggest problem is late at night when I crave sugar soooooooooooooo bad. Woke up at 1am and ate 3 individual cups of pears (the kind you buy for kiddos) I know that is not on plan and usually I would say oh well I messed up I'll just start next monday but not this time. I know I shouldn't have ate the pears but it still was better then a little debbie. Today is a new day and right now I'm eating my green apple. Good luck to everyone:)

Toni48
04-12-2011, 01:37 PM
I'm going to have a yogurt, orange and green tea for breakfast. Thawed some heathy soup out for lunch. I think I might have fish and green beans for dinner tonight. Planning out my day makes it better for me.

sluggo- Hope you don't do that again. The whole idea of C1 is to get you off sugars and toxins. I know its hard. Thats a real weakness of mine but I am no longer craving them. If you stick to the diet it gets easier.

pvgal- I know what you mean about the water. Bad thing is running to the bathroom in the night. How did your season your green beans? I want them tonight but don't know what to season them with.

Hope everyone does good today.

sluggo44
04-12-2011, 02:30 PM
Toni48 how long have you been on the 17DD

Toni48
04-12-2011, 02:49 PM
sluggo- This is C1D15 Two weeks and one day.

sluggo44
04-12-2011, 03:56 PM
how much have you lost, I know your ticker states 22 but I'm guessing you didn't lose all the 22 on the c1 17DD

Toni48
04-12-2011, 05:24 PM
You're right I haven't fixed my ticker. I've lost 8 lbs. 6 the first week and 2 this week. So a total of 8 lbs. I'm a slow loser so the lbs. won't come off fast on me. But I think I've done good so far. You can do this. We all can.... I think the first week was a little hard.

sluggo44
04-12-2011, 05:28 PM
I hope I can have great results like you:)

Toni48
04-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Well you sure can. If I can do it anyone can. Do you have the book? Its a great diet.

sluggo44
04-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Yes I got it from Amazon really cheap

pvgal
04-13-2011, 12:42 AM
Well.....this was C1D4 and still did pretty darn good. Was running around all day...had to do a lunch for the quilting gals today...but did a Chef's Salad and I didn't have any cheese, bread or dessert. I was fine with that. Did not get in my 2 fruits, but that was my only miss. Probably an important one though! I was down 3# this am and never have I lost that in 3 days...even when I delivered my 2 girls!!!! So..I'm sticking with it for tomorrow!!!! Really glad to have company in this journey!!!!!

pvgal
04-13-2011, 12:45 AM
Hi Sarah!!! Have you started this yet? Would love to offer any help or encouragement!!!

JohnP
04-13-2011, 02:13 AM
Unless I missed it ... does the author actually reference any studies or any scientfic reasoning for the claim of speeding up ones metabolism or is it as I suspect simply a marketing claim.

sluggo44
04-13-2011, 11:40 AM
On page 46 under condiments it states we are allowed fat free cheese i.e. parmesean cheese then on one of the recipes for c1 it states feta cheese. I'm just confused on the cheese being allowed on c1

Toni48
04-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Ate a chicken breast with green beans last night for dinner. Tomorrow is my last day on C1. I'm looking forward to having some oatmeal for breakfast. And kind of scared.

sluggo- I would go ahead and eat the ff feta cheese but remember to have only 2 Tablespoons like you do on the other ff cheese. Hope you're doing good. Did you make it through the night okay?

pvgal- You did good at lunch. Its hard to eat out. We have little rural places here to eat at and they're famous for fried foods. Its hard to find something on the menu to eat.

Well having a cup of coffee, need to finish here and make breakfast.

sluggo44
04-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Thanks Toni48:) You would think with all the veggies I'm eating I woudn't have the BM problems that I'm dealing with UGH!!!!!!!

Toni48
04-13-2011, 01:24 PM
sluggo- Everyone seems to have trouble with that. I eat 4 prunes as one of my fruits to help. And use activia light as my yogurt. They say its the green tea. But I'm not sure about that.

pvgal
04-13-2011, 04:15 PM
Sluggo...make sure you get your 8 glasses of water in!! And don't forget...liquids like coffee, diet soda...are NEGative waters...they do not count. Good luck!

sluggo44
04-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Oh I"m great drinking crystal light but boy do I struggle with the regular water. This has always been a problem with me when it comes to dieting and the evil sugar monster

pvgal
04-13-2011, 10:31 PM
I enjoy Diet Coke....but don't have more than 10 oz a day...but...stopped drinking it 5 days ago when I started this and suddenly...the water that has never been easy for me...is now getting drunk. Think if you really want this plan to work...you will have to give up the Crystal Light at least for the 1st cycle. Know it's hard...but my scale is moving downwards.

Toni48
04-14-2011, 02:04 PM
Today is the last day of C1. I can't wait to start C2. I'm having a tiny steak tomorrow night. And oatmeal for breakfast. Yum. Looking so forward to a change but worried about weight loss. Had fish last night and a can of green beans. LOL..... I can't believe I can eat a whole can of green beans.

pvgal
04-14-2011, 02:27 PM
You have done GREAT Toni!!! On to Cycle 2....bet some grains will taste good! What's your overall opinion of the 1st cycle: weight loss, hunger, cravings etc. This is Day 6 for me and I'm not really hungry, feel good, but.....something crunchy would be fun...other than a carrot!!! Didn't get my green tea in yesterday....that's still hard for me, but will do it today! Sam

Toni48
04-14-2011, 02:58 PM
Thank you Sam. I think the first week was the hardest. I got hungry but could have eaten more veggies to keep the hunger at bay. LOL. But the second week was better and the sugar cravings and stuff were gone. I loved it and was so thrilled at the weight loss. I have serious heart disease and take allot of medicine so I lose slow but couldn't believe I did so well on this. For the first time in years I have hope. I know what you mean about crunchy. It would be nice to have something other than a carrot. Although I've eaten plenty of those.

daylightchat1962
04-14-2011, 03:20 PM
I just got the book today and am starting this plan 2morrow. I will post weekly results. I have 50lbs to lose...Any thoughts or advice welcomed.

Toni48
04-14-2011, 03:57 PM
day- Welcome aboard. Good luck. Any help I can give I'll be glad to.

pvgal
04-14-2011, 06:12 PM
Wow..it will be fun to have another 'loser' joining us!! Good luck Day- the 8 glasses of water is important and this is the 1st time I've ever been able to get all that down...even while on WW I didn't do it well. So...that's progress in itself for me! Plus...I know the scale has already gone down...and in just 5 days....I'm pleased!!!!

pvgal
04-15-2011, 12:32 AM
OK...calling it a night and stayed on plan. Tomorrow is Day 7 for me....guess that means 10 more to go after that! Not very exciting eating but...for some odd reason, I don't seem real hungry. Hope tomorrow goes as well. Nite

Toni48
04-15-2011, 01:45 PM
Woo Hoo C2D1. Going to have oatmeal for breakfast and a little steak tonight. How fun to get to change my food around a bit. Hope I still lose okay.

pvgal- I think its so important to get all your water in. And your lemon water and your green tea. I have the most trouble with the 2 yogurts so I got some probiotic pills. I usually get in one. You're doing great.... Keep the good work up....

daylight- Hope you're doing good and enjoying the diet.

sluggo- How are you doing?

pvgal
04-15-2011, 02:05 PM
Good work Toni!!!! Guess the real secret is...just get through the 1st 17 days....then things do get much easier. Imagine you enjoyed your oatmeal today more than ever before!!!!

Yes...the 2 green teas seem to be difficult but....it is getting easier and think it is important. Really enjoying the hot lemon water in the am....who'd have thought?! And drinking my cup of coffee black..it's just fine. Our little grocery store here does have the Greek yogurt with fruit and it's LF...that is easier for me than the plain NF yogurt even though I add fruit.

OK...Day 7...I'm ready!

pvgal
04-15-2011, 10:30 PM
Today's lunch was a salmon patty and I made it into a lettuce wrap. Shrimp cocktail tonight It was a good day. Hope that you others are doing well!!!

Toni48
04-15-2011, 10:56 PM
PVgal- You can't have shrimp till you're on C2. Its not on C1.

pvgal
04-16-2011, 12:18 PM
Oops! Thanks Toni...I now remember that!!! But it was Fri. and I had to have something...guess I forgot but...I was up a # today...probably explains that!!! When I get into the big city next week (we live 100mi. from anywhere)...I'm going to buy the hard cover version, as having it on the Kindle is just too hard to flip back and forth and find the foods etc.

Day-...how's it going? Did you start Day 1??

Sipping lemon water...yogurt is next! Have a good week-end everyone!

Toni48
04-16-2011, 12:39 PM
pvgal- You sound like me I live in a very small town in Missouri and have to travel to get to even a super Wal Mart. We make the trip about once a month to do our shopping. The rest of the time I have a little town grocery store to shop in. And the prices are high and the selection is hardly nothing.

I had my oatmeal and little steak for dinner and a little baked potato at lunch. It was fun having different food but really not that great. I think out of the three of them I enjoyed the oatmeal best. I love your idea of a sandwich wrap. That sounds good. How did you make your cocktail sauce for your shrimp? I want to have shrimp tomorrow but guess I'll use a little reduced sugar catsup, truvia, and horseradish.

Well have had my lemon water and am now having coffee. I'll be having a late breakfast of soft boiled eggs and an orange.

andrea2883
04-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Starting Day 1 Today....reading the reviews I'm pretty excited about it. How are you all drinking your green tea? Cold, hot, plain, truvia....bottled lipton? I'm curious because plain green tea doesn't sound too appealing to me.

Toni48
04-17-2011, 11:41 AM
Welcome Andrea.... Good luck on starting out. I drink my tea hot unsweetened. But lots of people use truvia in it. Bottled tea isn't recommended its loaded with chemicals and Dr. Mike is trying to detox us.

pvgal
04-17-2011, 12:42 PM
Good morning! Yes, Toni...I can sooo relate to where you live...sounds like the same here! I made my cocktail sauce just like you said...but added a dash of lemon juice.

Welcome Andrea...2nd day was the hardest for me but then...my hunger kind of went away and all is going ok and today is # 9. I have never been a green tea fan, but tried some of the Costco brand and that is what I have...hot and unsweetened. It's going ok. Same with the yogurt...now eating the Greek and it's ok. Never liked it before.

After goofing up on the shrimp Toni...I ordered the book from Amazon...should have it Tues. Should have done that in the first place but wanted it "now" so downloaded it on my Kindle. Really not the way to read a book like this...too much referencing.

OH Andrea...I have always been a coffee with cream person...and now drinking it black..and that too is going ok. Good luck with this plan! Let us know how it goes!

pvgal
04-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Toni...here's a ? for you. Next Sat. night, we have out of town guests in and...they are vegetarians, and do not eat shellfish. There's goes the shrimp! Guess it will be a veggie lasagna. It will be Day 15....guess I'll see what a 'day off' does. Soooo close but even Cycle 2 wouldn't help me.

andrea2883
04-17-2011, 01:02 PM
Thanks everyone! I tried the green tea unsweetened and hot....it actually wasn't that bad...I do have the book and think its great!!

I started my weight out at 228 and have did the Power 90 for about 2 weeks until I started feeling light headed....I realized I wasn't eating enough and wasn't taking a vitamin...so I fell off that wagon...I do hope to get back on it again and the 17 minutes of walking is great, especially since it's starting to get nice and warm outside again. :)

I'm currently 213 and hope that this 17 day diet can help me reach my goal....I know that's what we all want! lol I really don't have a number figure on how much I want to weigh...but I really will be jumping with joy when i see the scales even at 199! I haven't been under 200 pounds in 5 years! :) Good luck to us all!!

Toni48
04-17-2011, 01:56 PM
pvgal- You're doing so good. I'm worried about Easter. We've been invited to someones house and I don't know what to do yet. I'm sure the meal won't be a legal one for me. I'm trying to think of something I can eat to take with me. But having a hard time. That would be hard to have Vegatarian company. I wouldn't know what to feed them. But it is going to be at your house so that would be a bit easier. Good for you getting the book, I use mine lots.

andrea- I use Liptons lemon ginseng green tea. I like the flavor of it the best. Go for you getting drank.

Toni48
04-18-2011, 01:26 PM
Lost 2 lbs this past week. WOO HOO! Thats a total of 10 lbs. now.

andrea2883
04-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Congrats Toni!!

Today is Day 2 for me....and no kidding, I feel so much more energized and this is just the second day!! I'm never hungry (yet) and feel I have to make myself eat my 2nd probiotic! All this water really does help you to feel full and hydrated! YAY!

pvgal
04-18-2011, 05:20 PM
Congrats Toni!!!! Good going Andrea!!! I am on Day 10 and it's my 3rd day with showing no loss...hmmmmm. Toni, did you hit plateaus on this? I'm still going for it...time for some green tea!

Toni48
04-18-2011, 05:56 PM
Pvgal- I haven't hit a plateau yet but then I don't weigh but once a week so I wouldn't know if I did durning the week. The scale would make me crazy and ruin my outlook for the day. Are you drinking your three tea's, water and lemon water? Maybe write down your food and see if you're getting to much sodium. You're doing good so maybe in a day or two it will drop down again.

andrea- sounds like you're on your way. Thats great you feel so good. Keep up the good work.

Andrbeck
04-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Hi guys! I haven't started the diet yet but I ordered the book today. Me and my soon to be mother-in-law plan on starting this as soon as I get the book! I have to lose 7 more pounds by May 24th (wedding dress fitting) Hopefully I can maintain until the wedding (July 9th) and then start hard core again after the wedding. What do you think? I don't want to have a disaster and my dress be too small! :(

Toni48
04-20-2011, 07:15 PM
Andrbeck- I hope you get your book soon. I love 9 lbs. the first 17 days. I love this way of eating. And I'm a slow loser. It will work if you follow the diet. Welcome here and good luck to you.

Toni48
04-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Just took out a pork tenderloin for DH to grill tonight. Don't know what veggie I'll have with that. Also have some shrimp thawed out for on a salad today. Got me some ff ranch dressing while shopping. Its a welcome break from my other ff dressing. I have a hard time with the ff dressings. Hows everyone doing?

pvgal
04-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Hi everyone! Was out of town and not on here. Hope everyone is doing well.

Andrbeck...you can do it! It really gets quite easy once you get into the swing of it...took me about 5 days to have it kind of 'click'. WAY better way of eating! Good luck!

Toni...glad that you're doing well. I really like just balsamic vinegar and olive oil for dressing and the 'spritzs' aren't bad either. Some of the NF dressings are just not to my liking!

Andrea....are you still with us? Hope it's going ok!

Toni48
04-23-2011, 01:19 PM
Here I am at C2 D8. I think I'll change my weigh in day to Wed. Its what I've done for years and it works best for me. Eating is still good for me. I may have trouble tomorrow with Easter and going out to eat where I have no control over the menu. We'll see. I'm not going to worry it to death. what is everyone doing for Easter?

pvgal- I sure don't like sf dressings and ff stuff. I have the hardest time with finding stuff to put on my salad. Right now I'm using ff ranch and it isn't very good. But I don't like the balsamic vinegar and oil either. How did your eating and the trip go?

Happy Easter all....

pvgal
04-23-2011, 01:55 PM
Toni..you are doing soooo well!!!!! Have you tried the 'yogurt' dressings? They are NOT FF but they are good! The brand I can get here, in this little place, is Bolthouse Farms...in the refrigerated section. Even the Chunky Blue Cheese is only 50 cal, 4.5 fat, 1 carb, 1 protein, 1 sugar...so not bad and that's for 2 TB. I use less...dip my fork in a small amount...I don't put dressing 'on' the salad. You might try something like that.

House guests yesterday....vegetarians. Made a veggie lasagna....very good but it had pasta of course.

theycallmemom
04-25-2011, 09:19 AM
Hi Ho all you 17 dayers....day 1 for me, that hot lemon water may be a bit difficult, was not my cup pf tea - but I had a really juice lemon and maybe it was toooooo lemoney!

Im Renee, lost 30 pounds doing a modified version of Metobolic Research Centers Diet, and then totally just stopped loosing. Talked to my doc about it, and he said that is pretty common with MRC (things they never tell you when you fork over all that money)

Ran into a friend yesterday that I hadnt seen in a couple months, and Good Grief I barely recognized her! She looked fab! She said she has been doing the 17 day diet for a couple months, so I went out and bought the book.

From what I can see - its not just a new fad diet, but a way of eating...I like how it pretty much spells out what to have when and there are plenty of food choices. Seems to me its just a healthy eating plan, with a few twists and turns to keep it interesting...which is right up my alley.

Anyway, heres to Day One!

Toni48
04-25-2011, 03:11 PM
Hello all. Slept in late this morning and had my lemon water, scrambled eggs and an orange.

Renee- Welcome..... You just use 1/2 lemon and I add truvia in mine. Its really good that way like warm lemonade. I think its such a good way of eating. I'm on C2D10.

pvgal- I'll look for those dressings. How are you doing? Did you do well over Easter? I didn't and am trying to get my mind set to quit kicking my butt and get on with the diet.

Toni48
04-25-2011, 03:13 PM
Hello all. Slept in late this morning so just had my lemon water, scrambled eggs and an orange. Lunch will be a taco salad and dinner chicken and a veggie.

Renee- Welcome..... You just use 1/2 lemon and I add truvia in mine. Its really good that way like warm lemonade. I think its such a good way of eating. I'm on C2D10.

pvgal- I'll look for those dressings. How are you doing? Did you do well over Easter? I didn't and am trying to get my mind set to quit kicking my butt and get on with the diet.

pvgal
04-27-2011, 01:08 AM
Hello all! How's it going for everyone?! Even if you aren't having great success...yet...POST...it helps us all!!!

Ate like a regular person on Easter and 2 days before because we had house guests. Went up 1.5 lb. but....not bad I'd say. I was careful but it certainly was OFF the Plan!!!

Suddenly the sugar and carb cravings are back...didn't take long! So...want to get back on Plan tomorrow...as amazingly the sugar and carb wanting went away. I want it to go away again!!!!!!

Hope you are doing well...but if not...heck....let's just get back to it!

Toni48
04-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Good morning all. I lost 3 lbs. this week. Its C2D12. I'm so glad my cheat on Easter didn't make me gain. If you get off plan jump right back on it. I'm so loving this way of eating.

Pvgal- sounds like you've got it together. Good luck to you..... I hate those sugar cravings.

pvgal
04-28-2011, 02:14 PM
Well...now we are ready to get back on the road to CA....not going to be easy to do this while traveling. Might have to go back to WW and tracking until we settle again after our trip.

Keep going Toni...you are doing GREAT!

Toni48
04-29-2011, 02:15 PM
pvgal- Good luck on your trip. I'm sorry you might have to leave this way of eating. But I can understand where ww might be easier.

dream710
05-01-2011, 10:10 PM
Hope you don't mind if I join. I'm starting 17DD tomorrow, looking forward to having more energy and losing weight. In the past I've counted calories, but have trouble finding the time to count as I had before. Hoping this will help me beat the sugar cravings and help me get out of the 170's once and for all.

rebe jk
05-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Hello All - I'm new to this forum. I found it with a google search looking for information on the "17 Day Diet".

I am going to start the program tomorrow. I have lemons purchased, fruit bowl filled and tomorrow's lunch already packed. Only thing left to do is the dreaded weigh in tomorrow morning.

I've enjoyed reading this thread and hope to soon be another if it's success stories....

Wish me luck,
Becky

rebe jk
05-02-2011, 11:25 AM
HELP!!!

I was so proud of myself.

Lunch packed last night. I drink the hot lemon water and head out the door with breakfast in hand. 2 miles to work and I'm feeling sick. Thankfully I get to the parking lot before my stomach empties.

Not sure if it is the lemon water or if it was the sweetener. I purchased the natural kind that they recommend but don't remember the name.

I did eat the prunes that I brought to go with my yogurt but I was afraid to try the yogurt. So far my stomach feels fine.

Any suggestions???? I'm just not sure that I can bring myself to drink the lemon water. Maybe I will try it iced tomorrow. And maybe not so strong.

Thanks for your help,
Becky

Toni48
05-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Wow rebe I wondered what happened. I've been drinking hot lemon juice every day and it hasn't effected me like that. Dang.... Did you use 1/2 lemon? Good luck trying something else. I have prunes with yogurt too and an orange. I just get both my fruits in at once because I have trouble getting two in. But tomorrow I start C3 so I'll get some different fruits like a banana. Can't wait to have bread back. Hope you have a better rest of the day.

hopefulchick
05-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Hey all, i'm stating 17DD tomorrow! So excited to see others starting with me. I Lost about 30lb last year but have managed to put it all back on the last 2 months i'm really desperate to get rid of it asap! Good luck all!

pooh12
05-04-2011, 10:42 AM
I am just starting the 17 Day Diet today. Looking for others to join in!! I have the book on my Kindle...thinking it would be better to have the actual book...due to needing to flip around a lot, but....I live 100 mi. from any bookstore and wanted it ASAP.

Hope others on the 17 DD or any just starting will share their journey!

Hello: This is my second day on this diet. I am using lemon juice in my hot water instead of fresh lemon. Is that okay? Also I find that if I make my green tea with a green tea bag and a lipton tea bag together it taste better.

Toni48
05-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Good morning. Starting C3 today. I'm so excited I can really have a banana today. LOL.... Have lost 14 lbs. so far.

pooh- Welcome to a great way of eating. Enjoy the weight loss. Yes the juice is okay to have. Its hard to keep enough lemons in the house.

hopeful- Did you get started? Are you having any trouble. I think the first week is the hardest.

rebe- How are you doing?

dream710
05-06-2011, 12:05 AM
Toni-Congrats on making it to C3 :carrot:

Rebe-I hope things are better for you

Hopeful-Welcome!

Pooh-I too use lemon juice too, it seems to be alright.

I've managed to make thru C1D4! Those first couple of days were soo tough, but it is getting easier. Although I'm getting tired of eggs. Might have to get me some kefir or something. Also have a question about exercising. I tend to exercise one to two hours a day, usually five days a week, I'm a little worried that I won't get enough calories and will start losing muscle mass. What do you think, should I increase the amounts of food recommended or just leave as is?

GatorEducator
05-09-2011, 06:04 PM
I am starting today. Wish me luck!! :cheer:

Toni48
05-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Gator- Welcome and good luck. I love this way of eating.

dream- How did Mother's Day week end go?

I must admit I'm having a hard time on C3. Theres so many choices and its so easy to cheat if you don't really plan and watch your self. I think it will be easier for me when I go back on C1. LOL. I enjoyed having a chicken breast sandwich on the thin bread rounds for lunch. I should have had a salad with it but I so enjoyed a sandwich. Breakfast this morning was a yogurt with a banana and green tea.

Where are the rest of you ladies.

dream710
05-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Toni-it went better than I expected. I used to eat processed foods non stop on the weekends. It was the complete opposite and I got a lot accomplished. Last week I was having bad headaches in the evening, not sure what it was from, but haven experienced any yet this week. Sorry to hear your struggling with C3.

Toni48
05-10-2011, 01:01 PM
dream- I had a headache the first week of the diet. I think its the toxins getting out of your system. Will be glad to weigh in and get my week over tomorrow. Then I can have a fresh start. LOL.... Think I'll cook some onions and bell peppers up with scrambled eggs and put on a whole wheat tortilla with a bit of cheese. For my late breakfast.

dream710
05-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Toni- were you able to make that fresh start?

I'm still doing good, I did slipup yesterday, I had something not on the list but then got right back on track (something I wouldn't have done in the past). I'm closing in on the end of C1 and can't believe that I've made it this far. In the past I would make it a day or two and throw in the towel, don't get me wrong there has been times I've wanted to give up and go back to the old way of eating but I've managed to push through those times.

So looking towards C2 is there any difficulties I need to watch for? I'm definitely looking forward to something other than eggs for breakfast!

Toni48
05-14-2011, 07:27 PM
dream- doing pretty good. You'll enjoy having something different for breakfast. I loved C2. I think it was pretty easy to do. And you have some freedom from getting bored. We grilled steaks last night and I got to have a little baked potato. But I learned not to put salsa on it, ruined the taste for me. Tonight is marinated salmon with some veggies. Good luck on C2.

Hoochie
05-17-2011, 12:14 PM
Well, I bought the book last night. I am going to read it this week and start on Monday! I am really looking forward to trying this.

Joan

Toni48
05-17-2011, 12:44 PM
Joan good luck on the new way of eating. Its a great way....

Squirt21
05-19-2011, 10:00 AM
I'm doing WW and have lost 26 lbs since Jan 18th but this caught my eye and I have a goal of being out of the 200s by July 1st. So I'm thinking about trying this also. Just gotta figure all of this out. Congratulations to everyone who's doing well on it and thanks for sharing your progress.

goldenhorse
05-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Is smoked salmon okay to eat on this diet?

Toni48
05-19-2011, 03:53 PM
Golden- I sure don't know wish I had the answer but the one thing I do know is in the book I don't see any smoked meat. But then again why wouldn't it be.

Squirt-This is really a great way of eating. I'm learning so much about myself.

Starting back on C1 for round 2. Glad to get back to it. I've got a pot of the chicken veggie soup cooking. The recipe is in the book and I love to have it handy for lunches. For dinner I'm having chicken breast cooked in a little olive oil with roasted brussel sprouts.

Beachplum
05-19-2011, 06:06 PM
Mind if I join all of you? I have been off and on diets for years and 6 months ago my Dr. challenged me to loose weight...well, I gained...boo hoo. now I need to get serious and I saw this diet book weeks ago and just bought it yesterday. I started this morning and am ready to commit! in a good way that is. LOL How is everyone doing on here? Any success stories? I have lot's to learn as I skimmed through the book and saw something called Kefir smoothie. I never heard of it? Can you buy kefir or do you have to make it? (saw a video on youtube about it but it really doesn't explain what the heck it is)

Well, wish me luck! doing the same for all of you too.

Toni48
05-19-2011, 06:27 PM
Beach- Of course hop right in here. This way of eating is great. I've lost 14 lbs. and am on my second round starting today. Allot of people have done better than me. I had allot of trouble with all the food you could eat in C3. I cheated a bit then and so didn't lose any. I confess! Glad to be back on C1 and have a good start today. You can buy Kefir at some stores. I don't know which stores carry it but I'm in the backwoods and we don't have it. But maybe yours do. Anyway good luck and let us hear how you're doing.

Beachplum
05-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Hi Toni,
I just went back and read all the posts. You are doing great! I always go gang busters the first couple of months and then I don't know what happens. I hope to make this a new way of eating. I am just sick of yo yo dieting! I also now can't fit into any of my summer pants! I REFUSE to go out and buy a larger size. I just won't do it. :cry:

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the welcome.. I look forward to loosing with you all.

Is this the thread to come to each day?

Thanks You,
Mary

goldenhorse
05-19-2011, 07:18 PM
I can find Kefir in the yogurt section. It is like liquid yogurt. I found Kefir salad dressing as well (in the refrigerated salad dressing section)

Toni48
05-19-2011, 07:25 PM
Mary- I know what you mean about yo yo dieting. I have the same problem. This is great cause you know you can do anything for 17 days. LOL. I ordered me a pair of capris and a t shirt in a smaller size for when my company comes the end of June. So I've got to work hard at getting somemore weight off.

golden- Thats great you can get kefir. I couldn't even find fat free cream cheese yesterday.

dream710
05-20-2011, 12:12 PM
Hello to all the newcomers!!

I've made it to C2!:carrot: I had a bowl of oatmeal with a cut up apple in it and it was soo good. Afterward I felt bloated all day :( not sure if it was from the oatmeal or something I ate the day before. I had kefir for the first time on Wednesday and its not too bad, I could only find the flavored kind and it has a lot of sugar so I won't be having it very often. Has anyone found plain kefir, if so is there a lot of sugar in it?

Toni-14lbs is great. Keep up the hardwork!!

Beachplum
05-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Hi Dream...wow, you have done great with your weight loss! What else have you been doing?

I just looked at my Kefir and it has 12g of sugar. I bought the non fat plain unsweetend..so not sure why it is so high. How many grams are in your flavored one? I can't wait to try a smoothie! I went on line to see about Kefir and you can actually make it yourself. Might be something to think about in the future as it is kindof expensive.

I also can't wait for our garden veggies to start coming in. Grocery shopping has become very expensive too. :( I love veggies and I think I will do well on this 17 day diet. I do miss my toast in the morning though and will have to get used to drinking tea.

Hope you all are doing well. TTYL!

ps. I know my goals are lofty, but I like looking at those numbers. I will have to adjust them when I see how I do on C1 and C2. for now, I am just humoring myself. :dizzy:

Toni48
05-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Made the taco salad in the book for dinner. It was so good and filling.

dream- Your oatmeal sounds good with the apple. Don't know what would bloat you. Congrats on making it to C2 :carrot:

Beach- My tomato plant has little tomatoes on it. Can't wait to have some. I love fresh veggies. I miss bread too. And like a glass of wine in the evening.

Have a good week end all....

goldenhorse
05-21-2011, 12:01 PM
C1D3

I am 4 lbs down after only 2 days? I know it is water weight but I don't care!! Weight is weight!

I find the diet easy to follow. I have had a few moments when I would automatically head for the pantry but had no trouble stopping myself.

Beachplum
05-21-2011, 06:34 PM
Way to go Goldenhorse! I think we started at the same time but I am going to wait to WI on Wed.

and Toni, I hear ya about the vino... That is my weakness...I love a glass after a long day.

Today has gone pretty well. One thing I can say is I feel like I am going to float away....I am constantly in the bathroom. :( I must have a small bladder...Probably the only "small" thing on me. ;)

I went out and bought a new pair of sneaks today. :carrot: Last year, around this time, I was walking 3 miles everyday and 6 on the Sat., so my other pair was pretty worn.

Enjoy the weekend everyone. (if you are all still here after 6 o'clock tonight) LOL

Toni48
05-21-2011, 09:36 PM
golden- :carrot: Yea for you what a good loss. I can't wait till Wed. to find out how I'm doing.

Beach- DH had to help some campers up the hill from us do something so I'm having to wait on dinner. Starving so just had a yogurt. I'm going to have taco salad again. I could eat it every night but had leftover turkey from last night. So I'll finish it off. I need new sneakers to. Especially since I guess we're not going anywhere out of this world.

Beachplum
05-22-2011, 07:42 PM
Toni, that taco salad...mmmm it's hard to believe that we can eat something soooo yummy!

I also made the vegetable soup for lunch. When my husband ate it he thought..no way did I make it. LOL. It was that good. :) (I didn't put the chicken in it though) I made hubby grilled cheese to go along with his soup.

Which brings me to my next question. What have you been doing for the rest of your family while sticking to the diet? I am just adding different foods to go along with what I am eating. No one else in my family needs to loose weight and actually my husband and 18 yr. old son are too skinny if you ask me.

Toni48
05-22-2011, 07:49 PM
Mary- I eat allot of chicken breasts and my husband likes them to. But I'll also fix him other stuff. Mashed potatoes, rice and stuff I can't have. I guess you could say I make mostley two meals. He is not ready to lose and doesn't like all the veggies I eat. When I get to C2 it gets easier and especially C3. Sorry I'm not much help.

Squirt21
05-22-2011, 08:07 PM
So, I haven't quite figured out how to do this and be in points range with my WW but I bought the book yesterday and decided not to jump ahead of myself and will read one cycle at a time. I bought things I will need for the 1st cycle with the exception of the Kefir I've fallen in love the the Chaboni but it has fruit in it and my two favorites are pineapple and pomogrante (both of which are not fruits I can have in this cycle).

I've figured I'll mostly be eating chicken in some shape, form or fashion since I dont' eat fish other than tuna.

I'll be starting tomorrow which allows plenty of time for me to have 34 days under my belt to ensure I lose the 17-18 lbs I want to lose by July 1st. I will be overly excited if I lost more than that by then but totally ok with that.

JohnP
05-22-2011, 10:18 PM
I'll be starting tomorrow which allows plenty of time for me to have 34 days under my belt to ensure I lose the 17-18 lbs I want to lose by July 1st. I will be overly excited if I lost more than that by then but totally ok with that.

That is a lofty goal and is very unlikely to happen on this particular diet. Try not to take this as me being negative because I'm not. I am, however, going to try and be scientific and realistic.

To lose 17 lbs in 34 days you will have to have a large caloric deficit. In this case the math is very easy. 3500 calories is a lb of fat. You need to lose half a pound of fat a day. That is a 1750 daily deficit.

Dispite the marketing claims this diet plan makes I am unaware of any means to speed up one's metabolism when dieting without drugs. (The drugs I'm thinking of are not only illegal they come with some seriously nasty side effects and are definately not worth it.) In fact, when dieting, your metabolism is going to slow down a bit.

Of course, there is water loss but since you've already been doing WW it is unlikely that you'll drop a lot of water weight.

Thus, if you're serious about losing that much weight in such a short time frame, I would suggest you look at another diet plan. The fastest way to lose weight would be a PSMF. I am not reccomending you do one I am merely saying that a PSMF would create a much larger deficit.

Two examples of PSMF diets are "Rapid Fat Loss" or the "IP Diet".

Goodluck.

goldenhorse
05-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Beachplum - I fix them a normal dinner. We eat a lot of chicken anyway so I just forgo the carbs I fix with it.

My hubby wants to do this now so I decided to start over today with him so we will stay on the same cycle. I packed his breakfast and lunch and that made him happy. He needs to lose way more than I do so I don't mind starting over.

John - the one thing I know about this diet having read the book is it is a very healthy diet. Lean proteins and healthy carbs, probiotics, and lots of water/green tea. People who stick to this diet will lose weight. I know it is falling off me and I really do not care if the majority is "water weight". As the author says, weight is weight.

goldenhorse
05-23-2011, 12:44 PM
Our menu for today:

Breakfast: 1/2 grapefruit, 2 scrambled eggs, green tea
Lunch: ground lean turkey breast seasoned with msg free taco seasoning on a salad of romaine, purple onion, broccoli, red peppers, celery, and cucumber. Dressing is Kefir Ranch (probiotic serving)

Dinner: chicken breast seasoned with lemon pepper; salad with Kefir dressing.

Snack: 1/2 grapefruit.

Toni48
05-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Mary- That is great your hubby is going to do it with you. I wish mine would but he's just not ready. He thinks I'm doing great but is not a veggie and fruit eater or into yogurt. But he watches and asks what I eat and has the chicken and fish with me.

Squirt- Wishing you luck as you start this way of eating. I hope you can make your goal weight by July 1st. Its sure possible that you could lose that amount. You might try the little cans of salmon too. Its milder than tuna and a good way to get some fish in. I put it on top of a salad. I make the chicken veggie soup in the book and the taco salad is great. Ground turkey breast is another good one to try.

Off to finish my coffee and make breakfast.

Toni48
05-23-2011, 12:59 PM
Golden- We were posting at the same time. Your menu sounds great. I think I'll have for Breakfast-yogurt, orange and boiled egg, Lunch- Veggie chicken soup, Dinner- Taco salad or fish with fresh veggies and sliced cucumber. Snack- Yogurt. Have a great day...

Beachplum
05-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Toni, sorry if you misunderstood my post. Hubby isn't doing this with me. I haven't even told him I am doing it. Just making the same foods and adding more food for him and my son. It is easy to do, I just have to get creative. ;)

Had a Kefir smoothie this morning and going to be making a super salad for lunch. mmmm

got on the elliptical this morning and can't wait to be able to do it for 17+ mins. I think I lasted 5 min. :( boy am I out of shape.

Hope it is going well for all of you.

JohnP
05-23-2011, 01:52 PM
John - the one thing I know about this diet having read the book is it is a very healthy diet. Lean proteins and healthy carbs, probiotics, and lots of water/green tea. People who stick to this diet will lose weight. I know it is falling off me and I really do not care if the majority is "water weight". As the author says, weight is weight.

I'm not against this diet. From what I have read it seems like a good enough diet. I have no doubt that people who stick to this diet will lose weight because following this diet is going to restrict caloric intake and calories dictate fat loss or gain.

What I am against is faulty information and marketing lies. The point of my post was that the poster is going to have a very difficult time hitting her goal in that short of a time frame on this diet as well as to point out that the idea that the 17 day diet can speed up the metabolism is a lie.

I brought up water weight only because if she has been dieting already she probably won't lose much additional water by dieting thus adding difficulty to her already lofty goal.

cheryl71362
05-23-2011, 02:22 PM
Hi, I'm new to 3 chicks. I just got the kindle version of this book today. I will be reading and starting tomorrow. I've been trying to lose 25lbs for what seems like a lifetime. I'm will be 49 in 2 months and I'm a junk food junkie. I just can't control myself sometimes. This is the first time I have joined a forum, I thought maybe this would help me with controlling myself. Please, wish me luck. :)

Toni48
05-23-2011, 02:45 PM
Welcome Cheryl; This is a great way of eating. C1 gets rid of all those sugar and carb cravings. And you lose really good. Good luck and its good to have you here....

Beachplum
05-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Hi Cheryl, welcome aboard! We are the same age..well, I am a little bit older, I turned 49 in March. :) I find that the older we get, the harder it is for the weight to come off. I am hoping this diet proves that theory partial wrong. (a girl can dream)

I have a Nook but decided to buy the hard copy of the book as it is easier to reference than my Nook. You may want to think of doing that also. All of the recipes are in the back and I find that I have to keep looking at the menu's for each day.

I started last Wed. and can't wait to hop on the scale to see what I have lost this first week. :)

Beachplum
05-23-2011, 03:06 PM
John do you work for 3 fat chicks? The reason I ask is that you have an odd signature.......

"Debunking dietary myths ... one post at a time" :?:

JohnP
05-23-2011, 03:13 PM
John do you work for 3 fat chicks? The reason I ask is that you have an odd signature.......

"Debunking dietary myths ... one post at a time" :?:

Nope. Just on a personal mission to bring science to the table. Most people think weight loss is a complex issue and for 99.99% of people it is actually very simple. You can read a short speech I just wrote on the topic. (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/233670-speech-dietay-myths.html)

Beachplum
05-23-2011, 05:22 PM
wow just finished reading your link... very impressive and such good news. :)

Thanks!

Squirt21
05-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Thanks Toni for your advice and well wishes.

John, thanks for your concern and warning. Trust me I'm all about being aware of unrealistic goals. I could see if I said 50 lbs in 30 days. I've dropped 14 lbs in 15 days before doing a more restrictive low carb diet than this with no exercise. I have lost 26 lbs doing WW just eating rigth with no exercise. I've been averaging 1.8 lbs per week with a couple of rough weeks here & there. So I figure if I combine the major concepts of this plan and add in the exercise then 17 lbs in 34 days (actually 38 days) really isn't that unrealistic.

As for today. So far the day has been well. Not really much different than what I've been doing on WW, just ate my fruit earlier than usual and walked for 20 mintues during my lunch break.

Beachplum
05-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Just wanted to share...

That eggplant parm is yumskers! ;)

KScrooge
05-24-2011, 08:06 AM
Hey gals!

I just found this thread while searching for a place to find more recipes for the 17 day diet. I used 3fatchicks pretty extensively last summer. I started cycle 1 the last week in April. Lost 8lbs in the first cycle!! Unfortunately C2 began the week I was graduating from my masters program and I was totally thrown off by graduation dinners and festivities all that week. The whole alternate day fasting def didn't happen. To get myself on track again I decided to return to C1 for one week. My mother is doing it with me and she's lost 9lbs! Which is fantastic since it's only been 1 month and she really doesn't get any exercise in. Anyway, good luck everyone!! I'll check in frequently!

Beachplum
05-24-2011, 11:08 AM
John..you asked about scientific evidence....well, this morning, while eating breakfast I skipped ahead and saw this in the Cycle 2 section

Scientists at the University of CA have led the way in this cutting -edge research, with both human and rat studies...publishing much of their research in recent issues of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Page 61-63 in 17 Day Diet book. (regarding resetting your metabolism by alternating Accelerate days (C1) with Activate days (C2)

Seems to be working for me so far....keeping fingers crossed. :)

Gigi33
05-24-2011, 11:10 AM
It sounds to me like just another fad diet. I'm sick of chasing diet after diet to only fail. I think the only way to truley lose weight is to eat smaller portions and move more.

dream710
05-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Hello everyone! Looks like we've been busy little chatters :) Welcome to all the newcomers :hug:.

Why am I doing the 17 day diet? For me its sort of a detox. I used to eat a lot of processed prepackaged food and by doing this plan its allowed me to get back to the basics. I suppose I could of just cut out all the bad stuff and added more of the good stuff, but I needed something to guide me, this book gives me that. I'm not gonna lie, I haven't ate perfectly, this is a lifestyle change for me not just a quick fix. So if I want to have a piece of cake on special occasions I allow myself to, but I know that I can't do it everyday and that I'll go back to my healthy eating right after I eat my treat. I'm glad to say I'm on C2D6 and I've lost 11.5lbs so far.

Beachplum- I believe it was you that commented on my weightloss. I started by counting calories and exercising. With working fulltime and having two small children I found it hard to find time to keep track of my calories, not to mention I hit a plateau back in August of last year. By starting 17 day I dont have to worry about my calorie counts and I've broke through that plateau. Good luck on your weightloss.

Hoochie
05-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Well I have started the 17 day diet today. I have followed LA Weightloss for a few years. When I went to the center, I did awesome. I got down to 153 pounds but I have sadly made it back into the 170's. I decided to try this because it is food that is simple to prepare. The hardest part is my morning lattes at Starbucks. I did buy some awesome green tea.
My husband is going to eat whatever he wants during the day but he will have what I am having for dinner so that works awesome. My son is thrilled because he wants to do a cleanse which includes lots of fish and chicken so this all works great into my schedule.

JohnP
05-24-2011, 01:41 PM
John..you asked about scientific evidence....well, this morning, while eating breakfast I skipped ahead and saw this in the Cycle 2 section

Scientists at the University of CA have led the way in this cutting -edge research, with both human and rat studies...publishing much of their research in recent issues of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Page 61-63 in 17 Day Diet book. (regarding resetting your metabolism by alternating Accelerate days (C1) with Activate days (C2)

Seems to be working for me so far....keeping fingers crossed. :)

THANK YOU! I'll check it out and see what the research says. Although I'm not overly optomistic at the mention of rat studies ...

Mickeypnd
05-24-2011, 01:56 PM
so. . .it seems like all this diet is is eating less of the right things. I was wondering though, does it work?

Beachplum
05-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Way to go Dream! 11.5lbs is wonderful. Don't you feel great eating all this healthy food? and it is soo easy too. That is what I love. simplicity is what makes me happy. I am going to weigh in tomorrow (every Wed) It will be one week for me. I think it is working, but I will let you know tomorrow.

Looking forward to some turkey burgers tonight. :)

Beachplum
05-24-2011, 03:17 PM
Joan I think you are going to love this diet. It is very easy to follow and you won't be hungry. the only downside, I have experienced, is the constant running to ladies room. you have to drink 8 8oz. glasses of water, plus your 3 mugs of green tea. I haven't had a problem with missing my morning Java. and I also haven't experienced headaches from withdrawal either. :)

justbeu
05-24-2011, 03:27 PM
I don't think that the diet is bad, I too am sick of trying diet after diet. The only way to lose is to eat less and move more. Nothing should be off limits, and all things in moderation.!!

Toni48
05-24-2011, 04:59 PM
Can't wait to weigh tomorrow and see how my week is gone. Thawing out some tilapia for dinner tonight. Will have that with some roasted brussel sprouts and sliced cucumber and maybe some tomatoes.

Mary- You can still have your morning java. I have a couple cups before breakfast after my lemon juice.

Hope you all are having a great day.

Toni48
05-24-2011, 05:01 PM
dream- Your weight loss is amazeing. It would truely be a dream to lose that much.

dream710
05-25-2011, 01:32 AM
Toni- Thank you! I've been trying to add more fish to my diet. My mom never cooked it while I was growing up and I'm really not sure of the proper way to cook it. How do you prepare your tilapia? Good luck on your weigh in tomorrow

Beachplum-Yes it does feel good eating healthy. The first week was really rough, most of the veggies I used to eat were the starchy kind. Since I started I've been adding a new veggie every few days, and am enjoying finding different ways to cook them. Sending good vibes your way :goodvibes, hope you have a great first weigh in.

Hoochie-Welcome! It's great that your family members are going to join you. It will make it so much easier.

Beachplum
05-25-2011, 09:06 AM
WOW! I am down to 190.6! so very happy! I am sure most of it is water weight, but heck, I don't care :carrot:

I have to change my weigh in day to Thurs. now, I just realized that I started on a Thurs. oh well..

Dream or Toni is today your WI day too? good luck!

have a great day everyone!

goldenhorse
05-25-2011, 11:05 AM
I have noticed that my stomach is much flatter than before. Could be the bad carbs were bloating me out!

I made the Eggplant Parmesan recipe in the book for dinner last night and it was delish!! My husband loved it.

I'm going to a brunch this morning but I have already eaten breakfast. I will only have a little fruit. The best motivator I have today is that I am wearing a t-shirt that is a little tight and I am not worried about a belly roll. It seems to have disappeared!

goldenhorse
05-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Dream - I cook Tilapia by spraying Pam in a 13 X 9 baking dish. I lemon pepper both sides of fish and put in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.

dream710
05-25-2011, 12:21 PM
Beachplum-Woohoo!! Way to go on the weightloss!! My weigh in day is Saturday.

Golden-Congrats on the flatter stomach. I've seen some change in the stomach as well. I wish I would of took my measurements before I started so I had some actual numbers as to how many inches lost. Thanks for the tilapia recipe. Is the eggplant in the ep parm mushy? Ive only had eggplant once and it was mushy, I don't do well with mushy.

Beachplum
05-25-2011, 12:28 PM
Hey Dream...Thanks! I feel great!

cut the eggplant thin and it will be crunchy when you bake it...I like mine mushy/crunchy so I cut both ways. it was really tasty.

I have a question about day 7 breakfast...? I don't understand the eggs at all! are there 3 choices? and then top with salsa?

Can't wait to have that taco salad again.

the other question I have is...can you switch around the days menu? or stick to it exactly as it is written?

and for those on the C2...how is that cookie? just curious....is it something to look forward to or is it just blah?

Hoochie
05-25-2011, 07:25 PM
Well today is day 2 of Cycle 1 and its going as planned! I have a busy week so I will check in for sure next Tuesday which will be one week into it to see where I am at.

Joan

Toni48
05-25-2011, 07:56 PM
Good evening. Getting ready to go cook But wanted to pop in and say I lost 2 lbs. this week. I'm so happy. Eating has been good.

Dream- I put some oil spray in a skillet and cook my fish on top of the stove for a very few minutes. I put cajun seasoning on it.

golden- Good going with a flatter stomach...

Mary- I don't follow the menu. If you do exactley as it is written you won't get enough calories and your body will go into starvation mode.

Joan- Good going on cycle 2.. Keep up the good work.

Well off to cook......

Beachplum
05-26-2011, 08:24 AM
Way to go Toni! you are doing great. I am so looking forward to being on C2 :)

Joan let us know how you are liking the diet.

Have a great day everyone.

Hoochie
05-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Mary- My goals are similar to you. I am on day 3 of cycle 1 and I am finding this to be pretty easy to follow but I am in the right frame of mind right now.
I want this so bad that I am able to stick with it. I am down 3.8 pounds in just my first 2 full days completed. Yes, I know its water but thats okay. I am working on shrinking this stomach of mine. I have the support! My husband decided not to follow the diet but thats okay, he eats whatever I have for supper and then snacks at night.

Joan :)

layne517
05-26-2011, 05:36 PM
I just started cycle one yesterday. I've not been able to find answers to these questions in the book:

1. Can you drink coffee or diet soda?
2. Can you eat shrimp?

Thanks!

Toni48
05-26-2011, 05:55 PM
layne- Welcome to the board. You can have one to two cups of coffee. And shrimp isn't till C2 and C3.

Joan- Great going on the weight loss....

Mary- C2 is great. I loved having oatmeal for a change. How are you doing?

Went out this afternoon for lunch with my sister and a niece. Ordered a grilled chicken breast and then had one trip to the salad bar. Put lots of veggies on my salad. Loved the raw cauliflower and broccoli. Had the fat free ranch dressing. Tonight is chicken breast with broccoli. I know I eat so much chicken.

Beachplum
05-26-2011, 06:08 PM
just a quick FYI facebook has a 17 day diet page...it's really good! Go to the discussions page and and you can read all kinds of questions and peoples answers.

I am doing very well on this diet. :) haven't been hungry at all. So glad you are all doing well too.

layne517
05-26-2011, 06:10 PM
layne- Welcome to the board. You can have one to two cups of coffee. And shrimp isn't till C2 and C3.

Joan- Great going on the weight loss....

Mary- C2 is great. I loved having oatmeal for a change. How are you doing?

Went out this afternoon for lunch with my sister and a niece. Ordered a grilled chicken breast and then had one trip to the salad bar. Put lots of veggies on my salad. Loved the raw cauliflower and broccoli. Had the fat free ranch dressing. Tonight is chicken breast with broccoli. I know I eat so much chicken.

Thank you Toni! Bummer about the shrimp. I had it today unknowingly :(.

What about diet coke?

Toni48
05-26-2011, 06:25 PM
Mary- I go on there to.

layne- I'm sure it won't hurt this one time. Just chicken, turkey, fish and eggs this round. But you'll have something to look forward to when you get to C2.

Beachplum
05-26-2011, 07:08 PM
wow..look what I just found on that site...more recipes for C1 and the Dr's commented that C2 is coming soon. woo hoo.

http://thedoctorstv.com/TheDoctorsBoard1/posts/10116-CYCLE-1-RECIPE-LINKS

if this doesn't show up, PM me and I will send you the link.

:)

goldenhorse
05-27-2011, 01:21 PM
I am down 9 lbs since starting this diet about 8 days ago. I feel really good and I am not bloated anymore! The one thing I have noticed with this diet (TMI ALERT) is that I don't seem to be gassy at all. Good thing!

Beachplum
05-27-2011, 07:18 PM
Way to go Goldenhorse!!!
:carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:

Toni48
05-27-2011, 07:33 PM
golden- Wow that is great. Thats more than a lb. a day. Woo Hoo!!!! Keep up the good work.

Mary- Thanks for the recipe link.

Mickeypnd
05-27-2011, 10:52 PM
hi everyone. So I was reading online about this diet, and I was wondering how everyone has done on it, and is there any way that i can get the book without having to buy online.

and do I need the book, is there any way I can just get the recipes and such. thanks!

Beachplum
05-28-2011, 02:55 PM
Hi Lindsey,

17 Day is working for me. and I am soo happy! woo hoo. I am not getting on the scale again till next thurs. because if I am stalling I do not want to be discouraged. I am on day 10 and I have lost 9 lbs already! woo hoo!

I bought my book at Walmart, but I just saw it at BJ's too.

You will love this diet. Good luck and keep us updated on how you are doing.

Beachplum
05-28-2011, 02:59 PM
Found another great link for questions regarding the 17 DD. They are all video's of the Dr. (I have to learn his name, sorry!) answering questions people have had.

http://www.the17daydiet.com/answering-your-questions/

Just thought I would share this with you all. Also, there is a great link on Facebook if you have fb. Just click like on the 17 DD page (the one with the picture of the pink book)

good discussions and lots of encouraging people sharing how they are doing on the diet.

:)

Beachplum
05-28-2011, 08:44 PM
don't mean to be a pain, but I also found this one where he is on different TV programs, this is just working so well, I wanted to share what I have learned..

http://www.the17daydiet.com/media/

dream710
05-30-2011, 11:50 AM
Hope everyone is enjoying their memorial day weekend. I've been struggling this week. I'm also getting ready to go on vacation with the family which I know is going to be hard to stick with my diet. So I'm taking a break for now and going to start back on C1 when I return.

Beachplum
05-31-2011, 09:22 AM
Woo Hoo! Met my first goal in day 13. I had to weigh in cause I am doing a challenge with another group.

Just want to pop in and say hello and keep up the good work. We can do this together! It's working for me! :)

Hoochie
05-31-2011, 12:02 PM
Well I am one week in to cycle 1 and I am down 4 pounds. I am pretty excited! BTW, thanks for posting those sites Beachplum. I watched a few of the videos and they were helpful.
I had a glass of wine with some cashews on the weekend which isnt permitted but I felt okay to have them. I am continuing to follow the plan but I will allow myself some wine here and there while I am on this diet.
Last night, I went out for a nice walk but the mosquitos were nasty!
Anyways, hope everybody is doing well. I think this diet is a great way to eat!

Joan

Beachplum
06-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Great job Joan! there is another great site that I have been going to since this one seems to be dead. :( if you have fb, 17 day diet has a page run by a woman named Terri. It is fabulous! She is very knowledgeable and even has cookbooks (that she herself has made sure are on the plan) When you go on fb..look for the scale with feet on it, not the other one with the pink book. Good luck Joan and everyone else who is doing this great diet. I am loving it!

I will be stopping back in to post my "losses". but the majority of my time will be on the other site.

They have also just started a 51 day challenge if you want to jump in on that..it started today!

Toni48
06-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Mary- Thats the place I've been going to since I started this way of eating. Terri is great. I'm also a member of the sugar busters here. Thats why I'm not here much.

Joan- congradulations on the 4 lbs...

Hoochie
06-01-2011, 12:34 PM
14 pounds to go and I will be at my first goal!!!! I can do it!!!!! Yes I have been lurking the facebook site as well. I printed a few recipes out. I had a bad asparagus one though. I cant put vinegar on my veggies!!!! haha
I use epicure spices as they have no salt in them.
Gotta run.

Joan

Hoochie
06-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Down 5 pounds since the 24th of May, so excited!

Toni48
06-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Hoochie- Congrats on the weight loss. Way to go....:carrot:

lin43
06-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Hi, all! I'm not officially on this diet, but I've been following this thread with interest. I tried the 17 day diet, stayed on it for a week, lost some weight (don't know how much because I'm too afraid to weigh myself, but my pants were starting to get loose), and then ditched it because I managed to talk myself out of it.

I have comments & a question for John: First, thank you for the information. I enjoyed reading that post you linked us to. I tend to always believe in the common sense calories in/calories out method of weight loss, but how, then, do you explain all the people who are consistently losing lots of weight on the 17 day diet? I'm not challenging you or being sarcastic. It's a legitimate question. I understand the science of what you wrote, but how does that figure into the experiences so many people have had on the 17 day diet losing 10 - 15 pounds in a 17 day period and then still losing (albeit more slowly) in the subsequent 17-day cycles. I know we could say "water weight," but water weight should only matter during the first couple of weeks of any diet. With the 17 day diet, though, people on their second 17-day cycle are still losing at a pretty good clip. I've been perusing various forums on the Internet, viewing posts by people who seem to be "real" people, not plants. They're losing at a far more rapid rate that could be accounted for my simple calorie reduction. Any thoughts on this? I'm just trying to reconcile what seems like common sense science with the contradictory experiences of so many people on this diet.

Beachplum
06-04-2011, 08:41 AM
Hi Lin,

Welcome, I hope that you will at least give this diet a chance. You already saw results in the week you did it. Whatcha waiting for? I feel great! I have so much more energy with this clean eating. My only concern is parties that are coming up and I know that I am going to be challenged and I really want to stick to it and to stay away from crap. excuse my french! but that is what I was eating before. Sure I would love to have my toast with breakfast, but it isn't the end of the world. There are some great recipes out there that satisfy just as well. :)

Anyway, just want to let you know that I have lost another 2lbs! For a total loss of 12 lbs in Cycle 1. Not bad for an almost 50 year old woman! I am determined to continue this journey and with the support of others, it seems within my grasp.

lin43
06-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Go, Mary, Go, Mary, Go, Mary!!! Congrats on your 12 lbs. lost. You must feel awesome!

Thank you for the welcome. I'll just remain a lurker for now because I'm all out of willpower. Reading all these posts is inspiring, though, so maybe I can get some willpower indirectly :)

dream710
06-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Mary Congrats on the 12lbs lost :carrot::carrot:

Hoochie
06-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Down another pound, thats 6 pounds in 14 days. I feel really great!
Had some snacks last night watching hockey but I kept it healthy since I was off plan. Some unsalted cashews and raisins, yummy!

Joan

julie99s
06-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Ordered the book on amazon and it should be here tomorrow. My aunt pointed it out to me because I am having such a hard time losing. Granted my eating hasn't been stellar, but when I did finally clean up my eating, drank all sorts of water, busted my butt in the garden and continued with my gym regimen, I gained 2 lbs. That was thoroughly discouraging.

I've been sicker than a dog this week, so I'll spend the weekend reading and hopefully by Monday I'll be feeling well enough to start.

Beachplum
06-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Welcome Julie! You will loose on this diet..if not, maybe you should see a Dr. to find out if you have something else going on. I have followed to a T and lost in C1...C2 has been much s l o w e r .....however, I stuck with it and stepped on the scale today and it shows I am down 2lbs. so I am happy. really happy cause I am expecting TOM any day now and I usually gain. soo...keep plugging along ladies. Our weight gain didn't happen overnight, so we can't expect this weight to come off over night either.

Joan, Congrats on your loss. Hope you are doing well.

I will check back next week. I have a lot of challenges this week and hoping to stay strong. :)

Have a great weekend friends.

summerwebb
06-13-2011, 11:20 AM
Hey there everyone! I am on day one of my 17 dd. Found this forum by chance of looking for healthy fats and I am so glad I found it. My bosses were/are on this diet and have had amazing results. So- I figured why the heck not. They wouldn't have anything in their house that could tempt me. So bring it.

Got the hubs on board- so we are both doing it. However in the fact of doing fruit and egg whites this morning, I failed. I didn't realize that grapes were a high sugar fruit. :( Ah well.. will just peruse on.

Just wanted to introduce myself and get to know others. Support and get support along the way.

rock182star03
06-13-2011, 03:56 PM
I just started this today...

So far I am doing well, and I love chicken & veggies so I think I will be able to stick to it!

The hardest thing for me will be giving up sugar. I have a major sweet tooth (and my bf's birthday cake is haunting me in the fridge!!) but I am more determined to lose the weight so I can look better before my vacation at the end of September!

Good Luck to everyone!

julie99s
06-13-2011, 04:11 PM
I am postponing for a week for a couple reasons. I am still sick, and my son's 2nd birthday party is this weekend and I don't want to fail right at the beginning. I'm not taking it as a free pass to eat whatever I want this week. I bought a lot of foods from the book that I will be eating. I'll stay low sugar this week, but I may just have a small piece of cake on my sons birthday. And then after the weekend I'll be full force into the diet. I gotta say, I'm already digging the kefir smoothies and plain yogurt with fruit.

Hoochie
06-13-2011, 04:46 PM
I think the first two days were the hardest. Honestly right now, I just havent had the urge for junkfood at all. I am drinking more tea an coffee than I have in the past but it gets me thru the day without wanting to snack. I also dont feel bad about having a few drinks on the weekend as that is my treat to myself. A couple of glasses of wine are okay I think.
Anyways, it looks like I am going to join an aqua Zumba class, it sounds interesting....
Hope everyone is doing well. I am down 8 pounds in three weeks and I am really happy with that. It makes me want to keep doing what I am doing!
Have a great day everyone!

Joan

Toni48
06-13-2011, 06:55 PM
OOOO I think the first 5 days are the hardest. I had a headache for three days from sugar withdrawls. Need to weigh. Having the chicken veggie soup for dinner. While DH gets a pork steak. Waaaa..... LOL

Kenette
06-15-2011, 03:06 AM
Hey everyone! I'm so glad I found you! I'm seriously considering the 17 day diet, the catch is I have already been doing Ideal Protein for two months and have lost 30 lbs. Just wondering if I will have good results on 17 day since I have already been on the no carb no sugar deal for 2 months? If this has already been answered I apologize kind of new to this site!

Jynxmekrazy
06-15-2011, 07:05 AM
This looks promising! I just bought it online through amazon Kindle for my pc and I read through it and I can't wait to start it. I can't wait to tell my mom and aunt because they've also been struggling with their weight.

I'll let you guys know when I start it (probably next week). I love hearing your guys results! Keep it up :)

rock182star03
06-17-2011, 08:44 PM
I had to stop because I got wayyyy off track! But Monday I am going to pick it back up (with a few friends doing it too for a mini support group haha)

I did it for 4 days this week and lost 2.5lbs so that was promising. I can't wait to start again and see more results!

Hoochie
06-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Well I am down 8 pounds in all. I started on May 24th so its coming off slow but its coming off!!! I havent followed the plan religiously but I am definately eating healthy. I dont eat chips or sugery snacks anymore at all. In fact, if I exercised a bit more, i would have probably been down about 12 pounds by now. I walk my dog almost every day but I dont think thats enough cardio for me. I may have to start running....agh, I hate running. My goal for July 1rst is to be 165 pounds. I am pretty sure I can do it!
Okay gotta run, have a great week everyone! Happy Monday!

Joan

julie99s
06-20-2011, 02:25 PM
OK! The weekend is over, my son's birthday is done. Time to get started! I did pretty good last week just making better choices, until Sat and Sun. It has actually been refreshing to eat healthy whole foods today. I forgot to weigh today, but will be sure to get my starting weight and measurements tomorrow. And can I just say grilled fish is just to die for? *drool*

Good luck everyone! Great progress Joan!

Gwen
06-21-2011, 04:17 PM
I've read some of the posts here and it sounds like this diet is really working! I've been stuck on a plateau for 3 months and it's driving me crazy! Just wondering if this will work.

I've read that you don't count calories. Can you tell me if the book tells you exactly how much to eat? I watched the video on their website, and it seems like the portions are REALLY small, but maybe you can eat more than they've shown? Do you weigh the foods or is there a measurement guide?

Other than green tea and lemon water, are there other "secret" fat burning methods? Is it food combination - or just extremely low calories?

Hoochie
06-21-2011, 05:29 PM
Gwen- I suggest you read the book before you make your decision. If you have a Chapters book store near you, you can sit and read some of it in the book store.
I had no problem with the first 17 days because I was in a good mind set. I did get tired of eggs and yogurt and fruit were okay in the mornings but it didnt tie me over to lunch the same as when I ate eggs.
If you are good at being creative with salads like I am, they are a great lunch. Chicken and fish will become supper staples.
After 17 days, I started combining a bit of my knowledge from when I did LA weightloss because it is a great eating plan. I am down 8 pounds and have pretty much been stuck there for a week however this is without much exercise so I am okay with it.
I don't have sugar cravings very much and I love sweets. Sometimes now at night if I have a sweet tooth, I mix up a bowl of strawberries and rasperries and add some low fat whipping cream to it.
When I crave salty food, I usually grab a small handful of almonds or cashews and it seems to pass.
My goal now is to incorporate more cardio as walking my dog isnt enough for me. Either I have to increase my time or find something to add. I am going to the gym on Thursday after work to see what kind of classes they offer.
Well sorry to bable on and on.

Joan

Nayner
06-22-2011, 03:39 AM
Hi I am new here, but can I join you? I have been doing the 17 Day Diet since 5/4/11 and am down 21 pounds. I am on Cycle 3 Day 15, so I am almost ready to go back to Cycle 1. I didn't have great success on Cycle 1. I lost 7 pounds in the 1st 4 days, then I lost nothing for the next 16 days. I guess its averaging out to be 7 pounds per cycle and 2.5lbs a week. But I was really frustrated in the beginning. Now I love it! I'm enjoying eating healthy. I am able to get ice cream or Mcdonalds for my kids and not even want anything for myself.

I decided I am going to try Cycle 1 again, but if I hit a plateau again after 4 days, I'm jumping to Cycle 2. My body must respond better to the carbs. Anyone else have this problem?

Renee
241/220/130

julie99s
06-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Welcome Nayner. I am only on c1d3, so I am not sure. 2.5 lbs a week sounds reasonable, even though the diet promises more. I'm sure one of the veterans here will have some thoughts. Great work on the 21 lbs!

Doing well with the foods. I do have a hard time with the tea. It tastes fine on ice, I just have a hard time remembering it and end up drinking it after my meals most times. 240.something yesterday. 238.4 today. Off to a great start. I tend to feel hungry at night, but I can usually squelch the feeling with some veggies or a small piece of chicken instead of cookies or chips. And that is most impressive for me.

nikkinouille
06-22-2011, 12:25 PM
My mom ordered me the book. Finally got around to checking it out. Going to go to the grocery store tonight to get what I need. Coupling this diet with exercise. Will let you all know how it goes. I am currently at 145lbs.

julie99s
06-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Weighed in at 235.8 (down from 238.4 two days ago). TOM showed up, so I'm impressed :D

TallGirl
06-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Hi All,

C1D1 here! I've been reading about 17DD for a week or so after hearing about it from DD's daycare teachers. I've done SB multiple times but I always freak out after phase 1 and add too many carbs back. I like how scripted this one is about how many carb servings get added back in. I also have a **** of a time exercising (except for my daily roundtrip walk from car to office and back, about 10-14 minutes) but figure even I can find 17 minutes to walk.

Good luck everyone!

Nayner
06-28-2011, 01:10 PM
I'm on (Round 2) R2C1D3. I took a day in between rounds 1 &2 at a pool party and ate and drank a lot. Gained 3 pounds over that. (Of course, I can gain weight just by looking at food). But after 2 days on Round 2, I've lost those 3lbs already. So Cycle 1 really does seem to help avoid the plateaus.

Renee
241/221/130

junyper
06-29-2011, 10:56 PM
Tomorrow will be the first day of cycle 2 for me. I've lost 13.8 pounds in the first 17 days. Anyone who thinks this diet doesn't have some sort of boredom in it is VASTLY overstating things....I was bored on day 3 w/ the eggs or yogurt/fruit combo. The rest of the meals aren't nearly as bad but after 17 days and over 4 dozen eggs later....I'm kinda done w/ eggs....but oh boy....more eggs tomorrow :dizzy:

Having said that, the rest is doable. Unlike the portions set out in the 17 days the book suggests, I took the outline of what they say you can eat in a day and did with it what I wanted within those rules. I didn't measure anything which is one of my gripes about calorie counting (I could do a whole paragraph on that but for everyone's sake I'll stop it right there).

I'm spending more money on food, I don't know if that's an issue for people. I did actually eat a lot of the foods before but never in the quantities the diet requires. Basically instead of filling up on pastas or rice, you increase your intake of the proteins and cleansing vegetables. The other benefit is that nothing is so fabulous tasting that I want seconds all that often. I know this sounds like a negative but it's not for me. Part of my difficulty with food is I want to put away more because it tastes so delicious. I still have cravings after the 17 days, but I know it's just my brain twitching so I've been successfully ignoring it. And another thing about it is that I wasn't absolutely starving and was rather full at the end of the day.

I've seen a bunch of people on this thread talk about cycle 1 obviously but I'm interested in knowing more about how people feel about the next cycles. This week my whole planning went out the window on account of adding carbs. It was like i couldn't process the idea that now I CAN HAVE A POTATO!!!!! It's left me w/ a short circuit in my brain, with all the other meats that I can have tomorrow I picked turkey WHAT WAS I THINKING.:o

Nayner
06-30-2011, 04:04 PM
Junyper

I actually liked cycle 2 the best. i loved the potatoes and sweet potatoes. I was hesitant to try the spaghetti squash primavera recipe. But boy was it good. And this is coming from someone whose dad owned an Italian restaurant. I actually lost more weight on Cycle 2 than the other 2 cycles. I think my body likes having those carbs.

Congrats on the 13.8lbs! That's awesome!

Renee

Nayner
06-30-2011, 04:11 PM
I went to Sam's Club today and found a treasure trove of goodies. They have turkey tenderloin medallions in a bag that are already cut up and cooked. I got single wrapped fresh chicken breasts. Their 90% lean ground beef was $2 off (will freeze for next cycle). They had 2.5lb packs of ground turkey for cheap. I bought all kinds of meat and stocked my freezer. Now I won't have to spend so much at the grocery store hopefully. I was spending $100 every 4 days.

Renee
R2C1D5

TallGirl
06-30-2011, 08:54 PM
I'm so looking forward to Cycle 2, LOL! Cycle 1 is okay so far, today is day 4 for me. I was down 3 pounds as of yesterday a.m. so I'm definitely pleased.

Alexandre
07-01-2011, 04:10 AM
John,oh really!maybe I will try this kind of diet also ...It is just my first day so maybe ill gonna start it tomorrow and i will share to you later for what would be the outcome of my 17 days dieting....

puneri
07-04-2011, 11:48 PM
I am on c2 and weight is fluctuating from 173 to 175.6
is it ok?

puneri
07-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Pl help I am doing exercise, water 8+ glasses and following diet. I feel rice 1/2 cup is creating problem!!

puneri
07-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Any experienced guy want to address my problem?

Toni48
07-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Don't eat the rice.

puneri
07-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Thanks Toni48. The book says you can eat basmati rice and red lentils in activation cycle, page 131.
I drank 8 glasses of water before 2p.m and checked my weight it was 172.2 on no carb day. Yest it wa carb day again, I ate basmati rice and lentils and 8 glasses of water before 3 p.m. and at 6p.m weighed 172.8.
Today is no carb day let me see what happens.
How do you get that goal scale?
Thanks again.

puneri
07-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Hey Nayner,
You seem to be doing good. Would like to know your experince of R1c2 and R1c3. Did you loose in those cycles?

Nayner
07-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Puneri -

I seem to be losing about 7lbs per cycle or about 10 lbs a month. I enjoyed the 2nd cycle the most. Cycle 3 gives me too much freedom. Give me an inch . . . I literally get an inch. LOL

I never eat rice. Never been a big fan. Stick with the potatoes. I always seem to lose more the day after I ate a potato. And I always weigh myself in the morning before my shower. There's too much fluctuation if you weigh in the middle of the day.

Best of luck to you.

Renee
R2C1D13

bp2loselbs
07-08-2011, 09:40 PM
I gonna start the 17DD tomorrow, so guess I am C1D1. Not sure what the R is for but I guess I will come to that later. If I can get pass the first cycle, I am really interested in doing cycle 2 where you alternate. If I have a hard time with C1, might jump to C2 anyways.

Another exception, gonna be eating the PMS fruits all the time. I am a friut junkie, can get rid of the sugar but my fruit. And it is summer, so a sista will be get in some watermelon too.

So I will let you know what happens.

PS to thread about havng it on the Kindle. I have in on my Nook so I just typed up the pages with the servings/food types and print them out. Took just a few minutes. Also got to learn to use your bookmarks.

Fellow Kool-air drinker,
LFG

julie99s
07-08-2011, 10:43 PM
bp2loselbs, I thought Cycle 1 would be excruciatingly difficult as I am a sugar and fruit junkie. I was surprised when I found Cycle 1 to be quite pleasant. Just remember, it's only 17 days. Just over half a month, just over 2 weeks. You can do anything that long :) Cycle 1 cleanses your system, so I think it's really important. Best of luck in your journey.

I was supposed to start cycle 2 the 6th, but with my lapse of judgement over the holiday weekend, I'm staying on cycle 1 until after this weekend. Monday I will transition to cycle 2. I'm actually pretty scared about that, though excited to get to eat some oatmeal :)

bp2loselbs
07-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Ok, let's see if I can handle going to my besties's daughter's BDay party for the next few hours. Get back to you later.

LFG

PS to all the C1 Peeps - Attached is the doc of the meal tracking pages I made. Enjoy!

puneri
07-10-2011, 03:13 PM
I am on 17DD. C2d11. On c2 it is fluctuation only. I do not know whatwould happen in c3. Any body having similar experience?

puneri
07-11-2011, 05:34 PM
Any body on cycle 2?

DramaQueen10
07-12-2011, 12:30 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the site and this forum. My name's Olivia. I'm on Day 3 of Cycle 1 and have found the previous posts to be very helpful.

I do have a question that I haven't been able to find in the book. It mentions that condiments, including fat free cheeses are allowed in moderation, but what about fat-free milk for coffee... Is that allowed.

Thanks. I look forward to getting to know you all.

Olivia

kateleestar
07-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Hi! I'm starting this today. I just downloaded the book to my iphone.. yey!

I have a family reunion, a class reunion and a vacation all in August, so I'd like to get a little jump-start and I'm liking what I'm reading in the book.

I'm off to read all these pages! :D

julie99s
07-12-2011, 01:40 PM
Started cycle 2 yesterday. Lost 13 lbs in c1. Down 15 lbs total now. c2 is odd for me, but I'm sure, just like with c1, I'll get used to it.

vicki57
07-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Hi All! I've been reading the reviews for the 17 Day Diet Plan online and I've decided to give it a try. I'm ordering the book today. I'm excited!!

bp2loselbs
07-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Milk, both dairy and soy, has a lot of sugar(18g per serving) and that's what you are focusing on cutting out until C3. But I have been using Almond Milk, unsweetened; it has no fat, no sugar, fraction of the calories, and with some Truvia, it is perfect in my iced coffee. I also use a little sugar free syrups, the same that they use for the skinny drinks at Starbucks. But be careful, it has sugar alcohols and we all know too much can give you the runs - the bad kind.

bp2loselbs
07-12-2011, 04:24 PM
I am on C1D3 and am really enjoying this diet. More than any other I have ever been on. Love the idea of low-sugar fruits before 2pm versus no fruit as all to cut sugar.

Some of my tricks:
-Created and use food tracking sheet so knowing what to eat & when is a no-brainer - feel free to use yourself, see below
-Roasted veggies taste the best
-Pinch Truvia in my Hot Lemon Water in the AM
-Mulled mint leaves (2), pinch of truvia, and lemon in water up to make drinking so much easier
-With Breakfast, I do half Green tea, half coffee, almond milk, & truvia with a splash of caramel sugar free syrup - LOVE IT!!!
-Instead of walking, I use my 20mins express Zumba & Kettlenetics or Wii fit in the AM/Walking in the PM
-Muscle Milk Light as AM snack after workout, has 100 cals/15g protein/no sugar or lactose
-Miracle Noodles are plant based, no cals, and taste great with pasta sauces and chinese sauces that are allowed

Did a lot of preparation for this diet and have lost some weigh each day!!

Good luck gals and can't wait to hear how you are doing. Feel free to use the

puneri
07-13-2011, 11:04 AM
Toni48,
You are right I ate 1/2 red potato instead of rice and weight is 171. Stationary, but I am happy it didnt increase.
What carbs you eat in c3?

sarasynthesis
07-13-2011, 05:06 PM
greetings all!
i am excited to rejoin the site after about 2 years of being gone.
lost 70 lbs the first time i was on here, but gained 20 back :(
a friend of mine (who has lost 45lbs since march!) told me about the 17dd so tomorrow i will offically be starting. i have been 'practicing' the past couple days, including more water and more veggies, and it has been ok!
i have already found that i love greek yogurt! and i will be investing in some of the plain kind to sub for chicken/tuna/egg salads! i made kale chips the other day and they came out surprisingly good and satisfy my snacking (mostly)!
i look forward to sharing my progress with you guys, and i have enjoyed reading all the previous posts!

DramaQueen10
07-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Hi. I just started too. I'm on day 5 of cycle 1. Your friend lost 45 pounds in 4 months??? wow!! that's great... do you have any idea how much exercise your friend did? i'd love to get similar results so I'd be very interested to hear any tips your friend may have given you, especially regarding exercise because that's the hardest part for me. Thanks for mentioning the Kale chips.. I never thought of that, but I have some Kale in the fridge so I think I might try it tomorrow!...good luck on your weight loss journey!! xo Olivia

sarasynthesis
07-14-2011, 09:50 AM
she did no exercise, haha. well i mean she lives in a city, so she walks a decent amount, but she never went to they gym or anything. insanity!

sarasynthesis
07-14-2011, 09:52 AM
those of you who have done it/are doing it, i have a question...
what is the deal with eggs? i lent my book out, but i feel like i wasnt 100% sure on eggs even when i had the book. sometimes i see it under the lean proteins, but then if there is yolk you can only have 2 or something....? im confused! haha

kateleestar
07-14-2011, 10:52 AM
Hello all!

I'm stil going, however I'm not completely doing it. I modified it slightly for my own needs. Day 1 was yesterday, and I have lost 1.2lbs. I'm weighing daily just for this. :D

bp2loselbs
07-14-2011, 11:00 AM
those of you who have done it/are doing it, i have a question...
what is the deal with eggs? i lent my book out, but i feel like i wasnt 100% sure on eggs even when i had the book. sometimes i see it under the lean proteins, but then if there is yolk you can only have 2 or something....? im confused! haha

Two yolks per day, unlimited whites. Only four yolks per week if high cholesterol. I bought bestland eggs since they has 25% less than regular eggs. And when I hard-boil I take one yolk out.

LFG

puneri
07-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Hey Nayner,
I will be on C3 fom tomorrow, can you tell me whch carbs you eat apart from potato? I had 1/2 medium size red potato today. I feel your observation about potato is right. What else you obseve?
You are simply great!!!

sarasynthesis
07-15-2011, 09:44 AM
thanks for the egg info!!

DramaQueen10
07-15-2011, 03:12 PM
just wanted to motivate anyone who might read this to give this diet a try... weighted myself today and lost 7 pounds my first week on cycle one... i've been heavy for a long time and i've tried alot of diets.... this one has finally given me the hope that I might finally be able to get healthy... i've felt so much better and had so much more energy since starting this plan... if you want to lose weight, you should try it!!

eatandwrite
07-16-2011, 12:19 AM
Hi! I'm new to the site and thinking about starting the 17 day diet tomorrow. I'm ordering the book on my Kindle even though I heard that can be frustrating, because I just really want to start. I was going to start a slow carb diet, but after hearing about the quick results on this one I thought it would be better for my motivation since I'd really like to see some immediate progress on the scale.

If you have any specific tips for people starting out, I'd love to hear it. I realize you've probably given tons of tips out through this thread, but I'm seriously not reading all of the previous pages, haha.;)

eatandwrite
07-16-2011, 12:32 AM
I am on C1D3 and am really enjoying this diet. More than any other I have ever been on. Love the idea of low-sugar fruits before 2pm versus no fruit as all to cut sugar.

Some of my tricks:
-Created and use food tracking sheet so knowing what to eat & when is a no-brainer - feel free to use yourself, see below
-Roasted veggies taste the best
-Pinch Truvia in my Hot Lemon Water in the AM
-Mulled mint leaves (2), pinch of truvia, and lemon in water up to make drinking so much easier
-With Breakfast, I do half Green tea, half coffee, almond milk, & truvia with a splash of caramel sugar free syrup - LOVE IT!!!
-Instead of walking, I use my 20mins express Zumba & Kettlenetics or Wii fit in the AM/Walking in the PM
-Muscle Milk Light as AM snack after workout, has 100 cals/15g protein/no sugar or lactose
-Miracle Noodles are plant based, no cals, and taste great with pasta sauces and chinese sauces that are allowed

Did a lot of preparation for this diet and have lost some weigh each day!!

Good luck gals and can't wait to hear how you are doing. Feel free to use the

Awesomely helpful chart and tips! I'll definitely be using the chart when I start (tomorrow maybe) so thanks :D

TallGirl
07-16-2011, 10:51 AM
Hi All,

I'm on C2D2. I finished C1 the day before my birthday and took my birthday off from the diet. During C1 I lost between 5-8 pounds. Unsure the exact amount since my scale jumps back and forth. Also having some trouble with my BCP and TOM showing up less than 2 weeks after the last one. UGH. So I am seriously seriously bloated right now (sorry TMI). Yesterday I did a C1 menu to get back on track from my birthday and today was my first day with a carb serving.

So far, I really like this diet. It is not hard for me to follow at all and I find that I'm just not hungry which is great. I haven't been good about exercise but I just keep trying.

eatandwrite
07-16-2011, 02:30 PM
On C1D1 today and it's going SO well... except for the green tea. I just tried to drink my first cup and, I'm sorry, but it's disgusting! I gagged my way through 1/2 a cup, but I feel nauseous with it in my stomach right now. I'm not a tea drinker of any sort... I'm think of just leaving that out of my diet because there's no way I can make it through 3 cups per day. I can't even get through 1 right now.

If I concentrate on drinking a lot of water do you think that would be okay? What are the benefits of drinking the tea as far as weight loss is concerned? I have the book on my Kindle, but it's charging right now.

JuhiR
07-16-2011, 04:28 PM
Hello all

I am new to the site, and after reading all the positive posts about the 17 day diet plan, just started (right this minute). Yeah yeah, I know that I skipped the breakfast portion, and the lemon juice portion, but who says I cant' do 17 1/2 days? I have to modify a bit, and substitute tofu for animal based proteins (bc I am a veget'n), but I just started. I got some lettuce from my garden and made myself a big salad with some tomatoes and tofu, and quickly ate some blue berries, so that I could get my sugar in before the 2pm deadline! I also brewed up a big pot of ginger green tea so that I can ice it and drink it during the day. I don't think I'm gonna have a problem with sugars, but it'll be pretty difficult for me to stick to tofu and egg whites as the sole source of protein.

Ok, I know you don't want to hear all my thoughts.... so I'll stop

good luck to all of you.

Amarantha2
07-16-2011, 09:57 PM
I had time today to read this book all the way through and really enjoyed it. I may try out some of the principles.

junyper
07-19-2011, 03:42 AM
I lost about 6 pounds in Cycle 2, which has me even more worried about cycle 3. In total, I've lost 18 pounds in the first two cycles, but this is about the time I start screwing things up, portion control has always been an issue. I've got my meal plan for the week though and I'm confident that the plan is going to get me through the week. Cycle 1 sucked but it was easier knowing I couldn't eat anything, rather than a little of everything. Oh right AND....big find of the day btw....LIVE ACTIVE SUGAR FREE CHOCOLATE PUDDING....at the walmart today. Made my week and my other grocery store is carrying the breakstone cottage cheese. Still sick of eggs, getting sick of yogurt. Trying to stay away from salads in cycle 3 since they're going to be a staple in cycle 1. Best of luck everybody.

sarasynthesis
07-20-2011, 02:35 PM
im on c1d6 now, and i have lost about 12 pounds! ecstaticcc!

DramaQueen10
07-24-2011, 01:45 PM
im on c1d6 now, and i have lost about 12 pounds! ecstaticcc!

you lost 12 pounds in 6 days? wow

jamber1234
07-24-2011, 02:13 PM
I'm actually starting the 17 day diet tomorrow. I bought the book at walmart for $23 and it looked convincing. At the same time, what do I have to lose by giving it a shot except a few pounds, right? Has anyone had significant results with this book? Has anyone come to any "bumps in the road" in following the diet? I haven't read much of the book yet but I like the fact that there is only 17 minutes of moderate exercise a day. I am a very busy college student and full time nurses aid. I have very little time to myself to exercise.

puneri
07-24-2011, 03:07 PM
Hi all
Weight flutuation continues,,
C3d8. 170 lb

Wondering whether to go to C1?
Want to be 154 in sept
Any suggestions?

Toni48
07-24-2011, 03:30 PM
I would finish C3 first. You'll lose better in C1 if you finish all three cycles.

Keldug
07-24-2011, 03:53 PM
I bought the book...seems a little too strict for me,however it does make good points,I have definitely taken cues from the book and incorporate it in my diet. Good luck to all of you! :)

Toni48
07-24-2011, 03:58 PM
Its a great diet. And the first one is the only hard one. But its only for 17 days.

jamber1234
07-24-2011, 07:19 PM
I'm going to go home and read the rest of my book tonight so I can get started. Toni48 you are an inspiration :)

Toni48
07-24-2011, 08:10 PM
You can do this. Also theres a good site on facebook. Lots of info.

jamber1234
07-24-2011, 09:13 PM
There's a 17 day diet site on facebook? Thanks :)