Old 04-09-2011, 08:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Question Estimating 4 oz. of raw ground beef

Hey! A little help - I'm visiting my parents this weekend, and tonight is hamburger night (a Saturday tradition in my family). I have no problem with eating the occasional burger, and am looking forward to it.

My parents bought the ground beef and got a fairly fatty percentage (75/25), which means I need to have a pretty small patty, and I've decided on 4 oz. (raw). My mom is going to let me make my own patty - she makes HUGE patties normally . My problem? I'm completely dependent on my digital food scale, which is not here with me!

How can I get a reasonably accurate estimate of 4 oz. raw hamburger? Can I use a 1/2 cup measuring cup - would that be about right? I never use volume measurements anymore, just weight in grams, so I'm at a loss.

I wouldn't normally be so obssessive about it, but I'm tracking pretty intensely right now. I'm not going to sweat it if I'm a little over, but one of the reasons I weigh everything is because my natural "portion meter" is permanently broken. Even now, I'm really bad at estimating portions without my scale.

Thanks!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

If she bought a pound you could estimate what a quarter of a package looks like,that would be a pretty good guess. The label on the package should say how many pounds are in the package, just estimate from that.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #3  

Didn't think about that, thanks! I'm not home right now, so no idea how much the entire package weighs, but I'll check it out when I get home. This feels like a word problem in algebra class now, or a segment from Mr. Wizard's World.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #4  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

bargoo's suggestion is exactly what I would do. You could even tell your mom you'll make all the patties, and divide the meat into however many 4 oz balls depending on the total weight of the meat... and then just set yours aside for you and recombine all the others and re-make larger patties for your family. I find that being able to see all of the meat portioned out helps me to estimate more accurately.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #5  

I just measured out 4 oz on the scale about an hour ago for lunch. I would say it's more like a rounded 1/2 cup, closer to 3/4. Definitely see if you can divide it up based on package weight.

Enjoy!
Merediths Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:12 PM   #6  

Just got home and checked - my mom bought three packages, and all are right around 1 lb each. The division method should work like a charm. Thanks!
Old 04-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #7  

Perfect!
Merediths Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:13 AM   #8  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

I was going to suggest you bring your scale with you. That's what I do. I have a $5 one that I got from walmart for travel.
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote