30-Somethings - Determining goal weight?

View Full Version : Determining goal weight?

Jelma
04-08-2011, 01:24 PM
How are you all determining your goal? What is it based on?

As I am starting to close in on my Weight Watchers goal weight of 145 and my personal goal of 140 I am starting to wonder if I need to change it. Or maybe just get to 145 and evaluate it then?

Eliana
04-08-2011, 01:47 PM
I chose 135 because it is 10 pounds into my healthy weight category.

Now though, I wish I had aimed for 145 because, well, I'D BE THERE! LOL! Seriously though, I'm actually very happy where I am, but I set my goal at 135 and the number is messing with my head. Now I have to get there or I will feel unsuccessful.

So, if I had it to do again, I'd set my goal higher and re-assess.

ilidawn
04-08-2011, 01:55 PM
I went with a number that a BMI calculator told me I should aim for just because I'm not entirely sure yet. To be honest, I'm wondering if muscle mass messes with BMI numbers. I think my real goal is just fitting into a size 8 (any smaller sounds unrealistic for me lol)

Eliana
04-08-2011, 01:56 PM
To be honest, I'm wondering if muscle mass messes with BMI numbers.

Uh...YES! This is why I'm happy where I am. I am a size 6...happy! :D But I'm 10 pounds above my silly arbitrary goal.

ilidawn
04-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Thanks Eliana! I've always wondered that because I've noticed at points that with more exercise I got slimmer but I still weighed around the same. That's so awesome you're a size 6! You're a good motivator :)

JustJ280
04-08-2011, 02:10 PM
I have no idea to be honest! LOL I'm pretty far from where I want to be and my body is so different after two kids that I'm not sure what I will look like when I lose. So, I've kinda decided to base it on clothes. I know that probably sounds weird, but I want to be able to fit into the clothes I like comfortably. I don't want to be sitting in between sizes. I would really like to get to an 8. I'm thinking that will be the 150's for me. But if I get to say, 155 and I'm in between 8 and 10, I'm going to want to lose some more so that I usually fit in an 8. Now, even then I know there will be times that they won't fit based on how they are made, but I would like for the brands I like to wear most with the cuts that I feel flatter me the best to be the easiest to shop for. Does that make sense? But that's what I plan to do. I have 3 'major' goals in mind because of that. #1 183 (lowest weight before pregnancy), #2 163 (lowest weight since marriage) #3 1?? (size 8 jeans!). And that number is blank because I have no idea if I will be 145 or 155. So, I guess we will see!

xty
04-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Most people seem to set a goal that seems reasonable and healthy, and then when they get there see if they want to nudge it down any further.

Someone on here gave me some great advice when I was trying to pick a maintenance weight...which was NOT to pick a weight, but to pick a food intake level that seemed something I could do for life and to let that dictate the weight.

CurvaceousCutie
04-09-2011, 05:41 AM
whatever i look good at. lol

EricaRhea
04-21-2011, 04:28 AM
I'm at 192.2 pounds so far, just started (yet again!). I'd really like to get down to 130 pounds......but if I don't make it quite that low I'll be ok. I really want to be healthy and have more energy. I want to hike more, canoe, etc without feeling like I'm dying, ya know?

seabiscuit
04-21-2011, 08:16 AM
I talked to my doctor about setting my goal weight. She told me what she thought what would be a good weight for me. I agreed because it is within my height and body frame range. Since I moved though, I am seeing a new doctor and I may talk to him about what he thinks. As my therapist and I are talking about, it is important to have mini goals- my goal weight is over 80 lbs away, so right now it would be good for me to lose some weight period, maybe 5 or 10 pounds, then get below 200, etc.

Good luck.

ShanIAm
04-21-2011, 08:17 AM
I want to say also, "whatever I look good at" but in my head, I'm at 132 as that is the high end of the "normal" BMI chart. Although, I think muscle mass is going to stop me around 135. I'd also be happy, I think, when I am in a loose size 8.

Yeah, like Eliana said --- it messes with your head the closer you get to goal!

4star
04-21-2011, 09:06 PM
Well I know what I was comfortable at before and that was around 165. My OB/GYN said he'd like to see me around 160 so I can have some wiggle room for fluctuations. I haven't gotten around to asking my Primary Doctor b/c we're always talking about my diet and exercise and I forget to ask. Whatever weight below 168 and above 135 is fine by me. I don't mind some body fat as long as I am toned but I don't ever want to be overweight again.

It would be really nice to wear single digit sized clothing again too...

zoodoo613
04-22-2011, 10:52 AM
I chose mine because it's the lowest I ever weighed post-college. It's only barely into my healthy BMI, so I maybe should be lower, but getting even there seems like enough of a challenge right now, so I'll go with it. I can always reevaluate, which I guess is what you're doing right now. :)

AZ Sunrises
04-22-2011, 10:57 AM
:) Mine is half of my starting weight. I'll be content at 180--in the past, I looked good at that weight...but that 50% mark would be really cool.

zoodoo613
04-22-2011, 11:03 AM
As my therapist and I are talking about, it is important to have mini goals- my goal weight is over 80 lbs away, so right now it would be good for me to lose some weight period, maybe 5 or 10 pounds, then get below 200, etc.

Good luck.

I'm going to use 5% of my body weight as my mini-goals. We've all heard that it gets harder as you get closer to your goal, and I figured out if you use percentage, the mini-goal gets smaller and smaller. For me it works like this:
First: 220 x .05 = 11 lbs./ 209.
Second: 209 x .05 = 10.5 lbs./ 198.5
Third: 198.5 x .05 = 10 lbs./ 188.5, etc.

I like to play with numbers, so this seemed fun to me :O

HMM3
04-23-2011, 12:36 AM
I think it is hard to get a number that is perfect .... I actually think 65kg is not really all that attainable for me .... although I must admit I really have 70kg in my head and that is what I first put down .... but other goal weights at 3FC have influenced me to go lower?

Mishflynn
04-23-2011, 03:53 AM
Good Question.
Ive set mine at 140lbs, which to be fair is abit too low for my body type to maintain .
This is because i want to commit to this diet &if i set a too easily maintainable goal (my mini goal) of 168lbs i know once i get there i will slip up. because im happy & comfy there.

I know 140lbs will be hard especially once i get past 160, but for my "personality" i need something hard to keep me focased & on track.

Ive committed to this diet for a year, next march i will reassess .

starbrite
04-23-2011, 04:01 AM
Tough one this - I set my initial goal at under 200lbs. When you start as high as I did at 300lbs it's hard to imagine your body at 200. When I got to onederland I thought 170 would be ok. At 170 I knew that I'd need to make it into the healthy weight range and beyond so I set it 153. I now weigh 163 and am not sure I will be satisfied with just 10lbs more off. I find the numbers motivting, but they can become an obsession, and when you have an obsessional personality like I do, the numbers become a concern. I think setting reachable food goals, and a dress size goal are a good idea. I just can't do it that way, I need so many crutches to help me that I use them all :lol:

emmyjewel
04-24-2011, 12:36 AM
I am new to 3FC and I have set a goal weight of 160. I think that is on the high end of my "ideal" weight and I might even still be considered overweight but it would be much different than my current weight of 203. To tell you the truth I would be happy with 10 pounds off now. I feel so disgusted with myself. At my high, I weighted about 245 and I have taken some off and had even gotten down to 180, which I was pretty sexy if I can say so myself but life happens and I have fallen off the wagon. Anyway, I am trying something new.

Morethananumber
04-24-2011, 12:47 AM
I set it at 130 because I know at 130-135 i wore a 7/8-9/10 and for me "its more than a number" and its more about getting into a single digit pant size. According to my age and height i should weigh 125-140 to be within "normal". I dont mind if Im 9/10 at 150 or 125, as long as i get there. :D

icedragon6669
04-24-2011, 12:51 AM
my goal is the high end of my NORMAL BMI at the moment! After having a BMI of 36-40 being NORMAL is my main goal!

but as I am now nearing that goal I am re-evaluating where I am at physically and I still would like to lose a little more fat (but I want to start toning and weight lifting too, so my weight might or might not change).

All those calculators for weight say I should be about 69kg/ 151 pounds, but I know through experience that its too low for me! so I am going on how I feel physically and emotionally, I am not going on the numbers or suggested numbers anymore

txladymedic
04-24-2011, 11:14 PM
I have mini goals set along the way...5%, 10%, etc but the initial goal is to get out of the overweight BMI category...which would be 169lbs which I'll reach in about 9 lbs. I want to be on the lower end of the normal BMI scale. Maybe 130 lbs...or I'll settle for being solidly in a single digit clothing size...say a 6/8.
OH and I want to lose the little bit of flabby belly that I have (any ideas on how to do that?)

Sarah

WendeeLou
04-24-2011, 11:26 PM
Most people seem to set a goal that seems reasonable and healthy, and then when they get there see if they want to nudge it down any further.

Someone on here gave me some great advice when I was trying to pick a maintenance weight...which was NOT to pick a weight, but to pick a food intake level that seemed something I could do for life and to let that dictate the weight.

I think that this is a good answer.. I am struggling now because with the exersice I do and my calorie intake, I probably wont ever be 140 pounds (which was my initial goal). If i wanted to do something like IP or HCG- then yeah, probably...

Another idea, is to give yourself a range.. for me, I want to be 150, but if I can get to 160 (8lbs to go!!) then I will be content.

The numbers just mess with my head, personally, so its easier for me to not focus on the number!

SunnyDC
05-10-2011, 03:27 AM
I picked my goal based on what I weighed in the past (131) and because 140's still seems "big" to me, (like a small man) LOL. Then I chose 129 just cuz it sounds better to say 120-anything. LOL

I doubt I can maintain 129 and not sure if I really even want to be that small b/c honestly in the 130's I'm pretty small. I'm still gonna try to make it to 129 just because that's what I set out to do.

Also I can wear a sz. 8 now, (I started at a loose 16), idk if it's just vanity sizing where I shop, but I can fit all the 8's I've tried on. On the other hand I had to buy a jr.'s size 11 jeans just a few weeks ago. But that's juniors and it's to be expected to need a larger size. I'd like to be a sz 6 which for me is in the mid-high 130's.

SunnyJee
05-24-2011, 03:40 AM
New poster here...

I picked my goal weight of 110lbs years ago, when it seemed completely unobtainable, because, well, we all have a number, don't we? But now I'm 115, and although I like what I see, 110 might not be my final number after all... I'll tell you when I get there! Because 110 seemed impossible, now that I know it's possible (and probable), I have been playing with a new goal weight... Like 105...?

FassGal
05-24-2011, 05:11 AM
I determine my goal weight by the weight range I was comfortably able to keep the majority of my life at my current height. I've been watching my weight since I started puberty, and I've been at my current height since I was 12 or 13 years old. Back then I was really athletic and my mother has always been a healthy eater. I figure I should weigh no more than 10 pounds more than what I weighed from 12-13 to 27 years old (I started gaining weight during my first professional job at 27 years old).

FassGal
05-24-2011, 05:14 AM
Wendeelou I love your sig! It instantly made me feel cheerful. Have a wonderful day :)

Ky30
05-27-2011, 09:01 PM
I have always been overweight/obese all my life so for me I went based on the BMI calculator and picked 135 but then I went to the doctors and we talked about it he said for my age, frame size, and weighing 285 when I started 150 to 160 would be a good weight for me and he doesnt recommend going any lower then 150. He said those charts dont take into consideration, age, and frame size.

micheleahsc
06-01-2011, 07:53 PM
All of my mini-goals and my goal are based on "What I was when...." I would really like to lose 20% by the end of the summer. I think this is attainable and will get me into a good position when I have to start school again. 20% gets me into onederland, where I hope to remain for the rest of my life :)

The most comfortable I've been as an adult was 150, and I was able to maintain that for about three years. I'd really like to be there again. I remember thinking that I was huge, which is hilarious when I think about that now. 150 is also in my normal range. Its at the higher end, so maybe I'll readjust when I get closer. The idea of having to lose more than 80lbs is a little much for me to take in right now. Losing more than 80lbs will look a lot better when I've got some of it done:)

Crow
06-02-2011, 05:13 AM
I used the BMI tables to pick a weight within a normal BMI, but with 6 or 7lbs wriggle room (because I know I'll need 'em!).

Truthfully, I don't know if 120lbs is realistic for me. I've never weighed that low, even in my starving student days, and although I know I can reach it I don't think I could maintain it in a normal lifestyle.

My current plan is to reach 135 (where I know I look and feel good) and reassess from there.