Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 450/ticker/350

Height: 5'6

Smile Snacks .. before & after Working Out

Just curious; which snacks are the best to eat before & after a workout? Or simply, what do you like to eat before/after working out? I'd like a few ideas.

P H A T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/210/150

Height: 5' 7"

I normally eat something light (piece of fruit/veggies...)an hour or so before I do my workout. If I'm hungry I just wanna stuff my face after I've finished and can't move if I've just eaten a meal.

Have a banana after, makes the hunger go away and also its not loaded with cals/fat so I feel satisfied without feeling guilty Always good.

I remember reading an article saying the best thing to have after a workout is chocolate milk!!!! Sounds crazy, do a little googling and you'll be able to see for yourself!
MusicalJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 178/174/155

if i feel like i need to eat before, i usually eat a half of a banana or a granola bar. i only like to eat before a workout if i am feeling light headed or "hungry" nauseous (anyone else get like that?) i'm def more cognizant of what i eat prior to bikram vs. spinning or other types of cardio, the heat can make you nauseous, and a full stomach + nausea = bad news.
mel23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 450/ticker/350

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicalJess View Post
I normally eat something light (piece of fruit/veggies...)an hour or so before I do my workout. If I'm hungry I just wanna stuff my face after I've finished and can't move if I've just eaten a meal.

Have a banana after, makes the hunger go away and also its not loaded with cals/fat so I feel satisfied without feeling guilty Always good.

I remember reading an article saying the best thing to have after a workout is chocolate milk!!!! Sounds crazy, do a little googling and you'll be able to see for yourself!
mmmm chocolate milk is a great idea

thanks for replying guys
P H A T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #5  
aka Vicky

S/C/G: 275/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

I go and workout after work, so I grab a bit of white meat rotisserie chicken to help fill me up a little (don't want to eat too much before), it's enough to take the edge off while not sloshing around in your stomach when you workout.

After, I have a small dinner (fish or chicken with veggies). Since I worked out, I'm not super hungry, so I don't eat a ton - it's a win/win.
MaddiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

I eat something with some protein. I love vegetarian refried beans, so I might eat a half a serving of that-or a stick of string cheese-or toast with a bit of feta, or some tuna-or a boiled egg. Protein fills me up and keeps me going for longer. But, I love a good carrot or celery stick when I'm feeling peckish between meals
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:21 PM   #7  

I tried the lowfat chocolate milk last nighy after I worked out 8 oz. and I wasn't hungry and usually I crave chocolate so it worked well for me.
Mercee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #8  

I read this in one of the fitness magazines at the gym about the chocolate milk.
Mercee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:41 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 230/217/150

Height: 5'8

I LOVE chocolate almond or soy milk. The stuff is surprisingly dense, protein-packed and way lower on the fat and sugar (usually - read the labels!) than their dairy-born counterparts. Whenever I've got the hunger pains gnawing at my stomach, one good glass of that knocks it right out of the way, and it's my favorite recovery snack.
Columba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:20 AM   #10  

When I was doing the personal training route for a local media contest way back in 2006 called Fitness Fantasy (I won, too, by the way; it was awesome!) I was working in the gym with fantastic personal trainers for an hour 3 times a week. After my work outs, I'd stop by the grocery store across the street and I'd grab a good protein shake and some fruit.

Right now, when I'm doing any exercise, I usually try to have something with some protein in it - a piece of cheese, an egg, or a piece of chicken breast - afterwards, along with water.

Bananas (as mentioned) are also good b/c they're filling but not loaded with calories, and that potassium really helps too.
Rainbowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 222/151/155

Height: 6'1''

About an hour before I workout, I eat a small meal of protein/fat/carb (an egg, slice of toast, cup of skim milk). After, I try to eat a heavier protein because it rebuilds the muscle tissue. My favorite is a homemade protein shake (1c almond milk, 1c frozen berries, 1 scoop protein powder). I try to avoid processed protein shakes and chocolate milk because of the added sugar. I know everyone says that chocolate milk is the "best recovery drink," but check out the labels...the g's of sugar are outrageous and it's all just SUGAR. I think you're better off getting your cals in another way unless you're an ultra marathoner or biker. My husband does 3-4 hour uphill mountain bike climbs and burns a couple of thousand calories in a workout and drinks his chocolate milk guilt free. If I'm burning 300-500 calories, there's no way I'm drinking it!
hatethesweatpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

I eat before and after, because I tend to get really dizzy and light headed. I usually have a glass of milk before, and a piece of cheese or two after.
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote