General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

Default Fat nutritionist?

I'm trying to think of a major when I return to school (in a few years!) and keep going back to the idea of a B.S. in Nutrition. Though I am slightly worried about getting a degree and not being able to find a job because of my weight.

So my questions are...

Do you think people would think a fat nutritionist is just a joke or would they be more apt to listening knowing they (obviously) struggle as well? Or neither?
Do you have any experiences one way or another?
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/158

Height: 5ft 7in

I don't have any experiences; however I would not go to a fat nutritionist, even knowing that they could be great at what they do, I just wouldn't do it.
joyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyc21 View Post
I don't have any experiences; however I would not go to a fat nutritionist, even knowing that they could be great at what they do, I just wouldn't do it.
Me too. I also toy with the idea of going to get my MA in something nutrition-related, but I'm always afraid that while I'm small, but not thin and it could hurt my chances of a job.

I wouldn't see a heavy nutritionist or go to a heavy trainer.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #4  
I love my muscles!

S/C/G: 169/149/135

Height: 5' 5 1/4"

I probably would. Just because someone is bigger doesn't mean they don't have the knowledge to pass on. Also, some bigger people may find it less intimidating and comforting to know you've been there as a nutritionist. There probably may be some people who wouldn't want to, but I'd think there would be be just as many who would
pinkflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

If they were slighty chubby it probably wouldn't bother me. But if I were seeing someone who was very overweight I may feel how can they teach me if they can't practice what they preach?

I do think cuz you are losing weight by the time you are done having a before and after picture in your office would be totally inspiring!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190.2/178.4/150

Height: 5'5

You said it is a couple years away and it looks like you have made great progress losing so far, you probably won't have to worry about it!

I agree with beerab about the before and after picture. I would much rather talk to someone who has lost weight and maintained, or in the process of losing, than someone that has never had to struggle.
Jelma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 249/199/170

Height: 5'10"

First of all, there's a difference between nutrition and weight loss. I absolutely wouldn't be put off by someone who knew a lot about nutrition, but was choosing not to engage in weight loss right now.

You might also want to look at fatnutritionist.com, which is run by someone in your situation. She works on body acceptance and healthy eating for people of all sizes. I find her incredibly inspiring and helpful, and she seems to do pretty well in her profession. Good luck!
anna ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #8  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quite frankly, I tend to respect people who have faced my struggle more than someone who can eat all day and not gain an ounce and has never gone to be crying or stopped socializing because of weight.

To me, it is like someone who has never had nor raised kids telling you how to raise yours.

Walk in my shoes.

Go for it. If nothing else, you'll learn things that will help you in your life.

What is the difference between a nutritionist and a dietician?
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

http://www.fatnutritionist.com/
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 212/216/150

Height: 5'3

I would go only if I saw that they had lost a lot of weight or were losing weight by following the advice they gave.
No offense to our thin sisters, but I have issues with skinny women telling me what to eat and what excercise to do. How do they know what will work for me? They probably haven't been fat ever and they are qualified to tell me what I need to do to make a change? Whatever...lol
On the same hand, I wouldn't listen to a fat person telling me what to do, if I see no evidence of weight loss either.
CrystalZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #11  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

But remember, if you have a slender/fit nutritionist there's no way to know if she is someone who has never had an issue and CAN eat whatever she likes, or if it's a continuous awareness of what she's eating to get/stay healthy. You can't assume that since one is slender, that they've always been that way, that if not, they'd choose to tell someone else their "story" or that it's not an issue for them, too...
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #12  
No description available.

But how would someone know about someone's previous weight struggles? I had a patient grouch to me that one of our doctors counseled her about losing weight. She was annoyed and said "that skinny doc" had no business lecturing someone about weight because she couldn't possibly understand....well "that skinny doc" is maintaining a 60 lb weight loss, but again, unless the doc shared that, how would she know? Surely a health message is a health message is a health message, regardless of the assumptions people make about the person delivering the message.

What if she is a 250 lb nutritionist who is maintaining 150 lb weight loss? How would people know by looking? Of course I would also go to a male gyn even though he doesn't have a uterus himself. I'd take my kids to a childless pediatrician, too. It's about connection, not judging people based on their exterior. The overweight nutritionist might be a weight loss and maintenance rock star, even if their BMI is higher than a client might find acceptable.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:45 PM   #13  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
But how would someone know about someone's previous weight struggles? I had a patient grouch to me that one of our doctors counseled her about losing weight. She was annoyed and said "that skinny doc" had no business lecturing someone about weight because she couldn't possibly understand....well "that skinny doc" is maintaining a 60 lb weight loss, but again, unless the doc shared that, how would she know? Surely a health message is a health message is a health message, regardless of the assumptions people make about the person delivering the message.

What if she is a 250 lb nutritionist who is maintaining 150 lb weight loss? How would people know by looking? Of course I would also go to a male gyn even though he doesn't have a uterus himself. I'd take my kids to a childless pediatrician, too. It's about connection, not judging people based on their exterior. The overweight nutritionist might be a weight loss and maintenance rock star, even if their BMI is higher than a client might find acceptable.

My thoughts exactly. People want different qualities from nutrionists, some may go with the intention to lose weight, some may go just for the education of whats better for their bodies.
So many factors to consider.
Personally, I would go to one that was overweight, I can't judge what they have been through, how knowledgable they are on the subject at hand or how HEALTHY they are now based on one glance.

And ditto to the not worrying about it, with what you already know and are doing for yourself, adding in that knowledge will only make you more confident and prepared on the rest of your journey.

GOOD FOR YOU!!!
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #14  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post

I had to quote that entire post because I absolutely agree with every word of it and felt it deserved to be seen again.

The nutritionist who's maintaining a major weight loss, but still has a higher-than-average BMI probably has a great deal to teach. Besides, I tend to feel comfortable around heavier people, so I might actually seek out a nutritionist with some junk in the trunk as I would find her relatable.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:59 PM   #15  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Isn't our current Surgeon General of the US a woman of larger proportions? Just like 2/3 of the US?

If you love what you do and are good at it, it won't matter if you weigh more than the rest of the nutritionists. I'd want to see a nutritionist who knew what they were talking about.

I actually look at other things when I look for nutrition advice, because I remember the dietetics majors in college when I studied home ec. They all had eating disorders...ALL of them. None of them knew a thing about how to practice healthy eating. I don't want to talk to a nutritionist who will only show me a chart or a book and doesn't evaluate my needs based on my health and input.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote