Weight Loss Support - Which healthy food makes you lose control?

luckymommy
04-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Hi there,

I just wanted to see what triggers others here to eat too much or binge on that is actually not considered all that sinful.

For me, it's rotisserie chicken. I really don't know what it is but I find myself wanting to devour it like a crazed animal! :o What's that about? I hope I don't make any vegetarians out there squirm with this confession!

There are other healthy foods that I like a lot and have a tough time eating small portions of (e.g. guacamole, hummus, nuts, etc.)....but put a rotisserie chicken in front of me while it's still hot and I'm an out of control :devil:!

Anyone else have such a problem?

Ilene
04-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Bananas make me crave more sweets or more bananas, I can never eat only one banana it has to be two :banana: ... I love rotisserie chicken also and can eat a lot of it, I actually think it's the salt in it because I get very bloated when I eat it... Macadamia nuts are another of my :nono: foods... Actually there are a lot of healthy foods I have to keep away from :lol:

GradPhase
04-07-2011, 10:06 PM
Avocado.

I prefer them when they're still very pale green inside with a hint of "crunch", sliced up, with a shake of salt! YUM. I can eat the entire thing and a half in one sitting with a big ole glass of water. Holy caloric intake, batman.

carter
04-07-2011, 10:49 PM
For me it's almonds.

I always cringe when someone mentions them as a perfect snack. I know they are wonderfully healthy but - oh boy! I cannot stop at a nice measured handful - they are gone in an instant and that wonderful tasty crunch just keeps me coming back again ... and again ... and again ...

I do keep them in the house because my partner likes them and can eat them in moderation - but I had to ask her to hide them where I can't find them! :lol: Otherwise they tend to sing my name, especially late at night when I'm cleaning up the kitchen right before going to bed.

krampus
04-07-2011, 11:09 PM
Nuts and nut products. I could plow through 2 pounds of mixed nuts and still want more. I've eaten whole jars of peanut butter before.

For many they are a healthy source of fat and protein. For me, they're crack.

milmin2043
04-07-2011, 11:20 PM
Kashi cereal!

No kidding. I can't leave it alone when it's in the house.

I used to think I binged on stuff because of the texture or consistency, or sugar, or whatever. Now I realize it's my personality. I have no junk food in my house, but I still binge from time to time.

I've had to ban Kashi for a while so I can pull my act together.

berryblondeboys
04-07-2011, 11:21 PM
Got to agree with Krampus and Carter, nuts are a BIG problem for me. When I have them, I have to separate them into individual portions. But my scoop of peanut butter with apple gets bigger and bigger too. I just love nuts!

AZ Sunrises
04-07-2011, 11:41 PM
Here's an odd one...raw onions. I'm okay with them if they're sauteed or cooked in something. Give them to me raw in a salad and I want to binge the rest of the day.

Sonjae
04-07-2011, 11:54 PM
wheat thins....I'll eat a whole freaking box!! Great snack in moderation. Moderation being the key word there, I know the word just not the means of execution lol

gagalu
04-07-2011, 11:54 PM
hummus. i go nuts for that stuff.

fancypants
04-08-2011, 12:10 AM
Cherry tomatoes, I can honestly go through a punnet in less than 2 mins same for strawberries.

Focused Lani
04-08-2011, 02:08 AM
I'm with gagalu - hummus! For this reason I never buy it.

shannonmb
04-08-2011, 06:16 AM
Nuts for me, too.

MonicaM
04-08-2011, 07:12 AM
Almonds, cashews, roasted sunflower seeds, the new Dole pineapple/yogurt bits, WW ice cream bars all do me in.

tinamariex16
04-08-2011, 07:14 AM
Clementines. I used to bring a bag of them to work with me so I'd have something to snack on.. but it's really impossible to eat just one of them

losermom
04-08-2011, 07:36 AM
crackers=crack... Step away from the cracker box. :(

Lori Bell
04-08-2011, 07:58 AM
Peanut Butter and nuts.

Though, since I realized how much sugar is added to regular peanut butter, (especially the low fat versions), and have been buying PB with no sugar/low salt added, it isn't nearly the problem it once was. It wasn't the Peanut butter I was binging on, it was the fat/sugar/salt combo in the jar.

Edwine
04-08-2011, 11:31 AM
I will mention only three food which are more harmful to lose control over your fats.
Bread
pasta
butter.

surfergirl2
04-08-2011, 12:17 PM
Hmm. In my mind, nuts and peanut butter aren't even healthy foods anymore because i'm incapable of eating them in moderation. But that's my own fault i guess...they are still healthy foods for other people.

anna ng
04-08-2011, 01:43 PM
Dried fruit, especially cranberries and apricots. I measure the serving sizes, but I always want more. I've taken to eating them in other things so that I'm not as tempted. Also, it helps to pre-portion my servings into snack size bags instead of trying to eat straight out of the original container. Those mini boxes of raisins are pretty great.

anna ng
04-08-2011, 01:44 PM
surfergirl, I solved my peanut butter problem by buying all natural and keeping it in the fridge. Since it's not soft, it's more difficult to spread it on everything, but when I'm really craving it, I can have one tablespoon and enjoy it. I eat it straight from the spoon, but I put the package away when I've portioned it out.

surfergirl2
04-08-2011, 01:48 PM
surfergirl, I solved my peanut butter problem by buying all natural and keeping it in the fridge. Since it's not soft, it's more difficult to spread it on everything, but when I'm really craving it, I can have one tablespoon and enjoy it. I eat it straight from the spoon, but I put the package away when I've portioned it out.

I've been doing better with the peanut butter lately, but i used to go insane with it. I buy the all natural stuff too. I'd pour off the oil and store it in the fridge so it would be kind of hard....but that made it all the more delicious to me. When you get to the bottom of the jar (where it's really hard) it's almost like peanut butter fudge! Anyway...thank god my peanut butter phase is over.

MusicalJess
04-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Houmous and carrot sticks! Since healthy...but is lethal.

belmagick
04-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Wow, It's nuts for me too. I guess it's that feeling you get when you're eating them that is the same as eating whole cream.

I've looked at so many diet plans that say "Handful of nuts for a snack." It's never just a handful, it's the packet.

And it's all kinds of nuts not just salted. (I love peanuts, pinenuts, walnuts, pistachio, cashew.) I just avoid them.

xty
04-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Every. single. food. mentioned. (except the chicken, Im mostly veggie and I rarely binge on protein).

But basically carbs in any form will make me binge. Ive decided to suck it up and realize I need to permanently and forever be on a low carb diet. So far I am 3.5 weeks binge free on the low carb plan :)

ilidawn
04-08-2011, 02:22 PM
Strawberries, roasted sunflower seeds, fresh fish (sashimi), cashews and other things I can't think of at the moment lol

ParadiseFalls
04-08-2011, 02:26 PM
Black beans and avocado, or just avocado alone, are my kryptonite! I could eat a whole plain avocado. Yummm.

Strawberries and bananas, too, and also hummus.

FatJayne
04-08-2011, 04:34 PM
Nuts. Big time.
If I eat one I will eat the whole jar, and as you know they have tons of calories.

Txalupa
04-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Nuts and strawberries!!!! Crack.

Suzanne 3FC
04-08-2011, 06:29 PM
I have a hard time with nuts. So now I buy them from the bulk bins at the natural food store and buy small amounts at a time.

shimmmer178
04-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Grapes!

Cali Doll
04-08-2011, 10:06 PM
This is so interesting to me. I don't like nuts (unless they're wrapped in caramel and/or chocolate) so it's pretty interesting to see so many folks list them as a temptation.

I don't know what "healthy" foods are tempting to me...I mean, anything in excess is bad. Milk, one would consider that "healthy" I suppose. But, I can drink a gallon in very short order. In fact, I used to kill a gallon of WHOLE MILK in 2 days flat. Sheesh, no wonder I was fat!

I finally learned to wean myself off of whole milk down to 2%, then 1% and today I just bought my first gallon of fat free milk! I can't believe it. I remember when I used to say I didn't like anything but whole milk. lol!

Arctic Mama
04-09-2011, 03:41 AM
Dried fruit and nuts does it to me, as does whole proteins like chicken and steak. But especially anything trail mix-y, that's trouble for sure!

criss
04-09-2011, 08:40 AM
Oh man, so many! Chicken, sushi, hummus, boiled eggs, broccoli and cheese, FRUITS. Oh my god, I LOVE FRUITS.

rachinma
04-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Avocado.

spixiet
04-09-2011, 07:51 PM
Pretzels...seriously evil pretzels :nono:

Personally, I don't consider them "healthy" anymore because of the lack of nutrients, but they used to be the first snack I'd turn to when I was trying to make healthier food choices.

Another one (that I don't really consider healthy but I'm sure some do) is Fiber Plus bars...especially the ones that taste like Girl scout samoas...

Also, when it's in season, I can gorge myself on melon - honeydew, cantaloupe, watermelon, crenshaw, casaba, canary...I love them all :dizzy:

mel23
04-09-2011, 10:19 PM
lots of things, though most notably = peanut butter... for sure...

tanner'smom
04-09-2011, 11:45 PM
Granola Bars, especially the chewy ones like Fiber One.

Some days I can binge on nuts and other days I am fine. I have just started to buy the snack packs of nuts. It is more expensive, but I need the portion control.

konfyoozed
04-09-2011, 11:59 PM
baby carrots + fat free ranch dressing
boiled egg whites (not the yolk) with just a tiny sprinkle of salt
fresh, firm green grapes
clementine oranges
... i should just say "most fruits"
cashews and pistachios.

Horo
04-10-2011, 06:06 AM
I second the mentions of guacamole, nuts(especially pistachios.. I can usually control myself with almonds, walnuts, pecans, and other nuts I keep on hand, but I can't keep myself away from the pistachios), and dried fruit. As for the dried fruit, dried cranberries and dried mangoes are the most tempting to overeat on.

Magrat
04-10-2011, 06:12 AM
Dried fruit, nuts (especially cashews and Brazil nuts) and bananas.

Jonesie
04-10-2011, 07:39 AM
Blackberries! Also, almonds.

joyfulloser
04-10-2011, 07:43 AM
unsalted cashews...my brain's cut-off switch TOTALLY FAILS when I eat them!:p

dnnrca1987
04-10-2011, 09:32 AM
I know this is the most popular answer but nuts for me as well! Peanut butter in particular...I slice an apple really fine and use natural peanut butter for dip, but almost always, I run out of pb before I run out of apple slices! So, I always go back for more! It got so bad that I just had to stop buying it...If you can't indulge in a healthy portion, no matter what it is, you shouldn't keep it around. At least until you have better control.

dnnrca1987
04-10-2011, 09:37 AM
for those guacamole bingers, the wholly guacamole brand has prepackaged 100 cal packs...that's what I get at the store so I don't ever have to think about portions and going over.

niafabo
04-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Just discovered cinnamon flavored almonds are a major no no. Almonds were buy one get one free and I thought they might be nice to try and now I can't keep my hands off of them. I just wanna sit down and scarf down the entire container which is over 1650 calories. Already ate half the container in the last two days and had to give up a planned meal today because of it. Won't be getting these again. XD

chickadee32
04-10-2011, 02:54 PM
dried mangoes

This! I could easily eat a package in one sitting, and have done so on more than one occasion (pre-weight loss). I love them, but I try not to buy them, as otherwise they call to me from the pantry. :(

Cali Doll
04-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Just discovered cinnamon flavored almonds are a major no no. Almonds were buy one get one free and I thought they might be nice to try and now I can't keep my hands off of them. I just wanna sit down and scarf down the entire container which is over 1650 calories. Already ate half the container in the last two days and had to give up a planned meal today because of it. Won't be getting these again. XD

Ohhh YES! I tried these once and they are *VERY* dangerous.

partiovascular
04-10-2011, 05:53 PM
STEAMED BROCCOLI, i could eat it for every meal!

surfergirl2
04-11-2011, 05:10 PM
This is kinda weird, but anytime i discover (or rediscover) a new food, i get totally fixated on it and binge on it. Unfortunately while trying to eat "healthy" and eat "whole foods" i discovered a few things like natural peanut butter, sprouted grain bread, steel cut oats, and other things which i binged on for a while. Now that that has passed, i'm like really? Binging on steel cut oats? that's just weird! I do love them but one bowl is enough.

serendipity907
04-12-2011, 06:43 AM
Crunchy peanut butter, pecan nuts, sweetcorn (I have a serious problem with this, thankfully it isn't too calorific), dried banana, granary breads, potatoes, flavored porridge oats... I'm noticing a carb theme... :D

I love broccoli also, but I don't consider it a problem since its healthy and low calorie and doesn't make me crave anything else.