PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:56 PM   #1  
Don't give up.

S/C/G: 195/195/165

Height: 5'0"

Default New to this Section of the Board. Hi

Hi Fellow Chicks,

I'm new to this section of the board and just wanted to introduce myself. I've been on and off this forum (3FC) for a while, but really trying to stick to my weight loss goals this time, so I'm back.

I'm 33 and in grad school and finishing up a PhD, so my life tends to involve a lot of sitting at the desk, office, or library these days! And, a lot of stress. But, as I'm trying to lose weight, I've been monitoring calories, cooking healthy food from scratch and without preservatives/MSG/etc..., and exercising three times a week. My usual caloric intake in a day is between 1200 and 1700. I do spin classes 3 times a week and 2 of those days, I usually cycle for an hour afterwards on my own, too. That leaves me only at 5 hours a week at the moment (I built up to this). Current deadlines won't let me add time to my workout routine, but in about 3 weeks, I hope to amplify it with some weight lifting and more cardio on a weekly basis.

I started out at 194 at my heaviest and dropped down to about 182 last week, but I seem to be up to 185 now because I didn't workout as much over the past two weeks. It took me about 10 weeks to lose those 12, but it looks like I'm at -9 net weight loss now.

When I was younger, I was diagnosed with PCOS and was being treated for it for several years, but about 7 years ago, a new endocrinologist told me I didn't have it and I stopped taking any of the meds for it. I had lost a bunch of weight through serious diet and exercise (from 190 to 147) and I think that helped. But, now, I'm trying to lose weight again and really struggling. I suspect that the same old insulin-resistance is giving me an extra obstacle. Of course, the hirsuitism, hyperpigmentation, and depression do a great job of making a gal feel ugly too often, and I'm working on building my self-confidence, too, through this weight loss plan.

I got married about 9 months ago to the love of my life and we're thinking about having kids sometime soon, but probably won't start "trying" for a couple of months when I'm done with school. This recent development makes me want to lose weight even more because being overweight tends to cause problems here, as well as the possible PCOS thing, I think. If I'm having this much trouble trying to lose weight now, I can imagine it will only be harder afterwards and I've heard that conceiving is harder for those who have PCOS types of problems and for those who are overweight. While my weight loss plan started because I wanted to look better, its taken on new dimensions now. My hubby is wonderful, supportive and loving most of the time, but as an athletic person, he doesn't understand my struggles with my weight. When we stopped eating junk food, he dropped 12 pounds without even increasing his activity (and he drinks soda with every meal, etc -- but he's more physically active in his daily routine than me in general), but it took 5 hours of workouts on top of the dieting for me to lose about the same. He doesn't understand how hard it was for me to lose those 12 (now, sadly 9) pounds and he thinks I should have lost much more by now. So, I'm looking into my routine a bit more carefully now. I think that I might need to go back on something like Metformin, which I took several years ago and am not sure. Anyhow, I've made an appointment with a doctor this week to see what blood tests will reveal, but I thought I'd join in on this group where some of you might have similar issues like obstacles to your weight loss and things like that.

So, hi from Los Angeles. I hope you guys won't mind my joining in
neon_zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Good luck on your journey!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #3  
Don't give up.

S/C/G: 195/195/165

Height: 5'0"

Thanks, Rana. Sorry for the very late reply. I am not savvy with the board and didn't even notice your post until now. From your ticker, you look like you're nearing your weight loss goal. I wish you luck on the last bit!
neon_zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote