PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:45 PM   #1  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Default Low B12 level while on Metformin...

So, I had my annual bloodwork done on Tuesday, and I just got a call from my family doctor. Apparently my B12 level is low, and she's putting me on a B12 supplement.

I currently take 500 mg of Metformin twice a day, and I've been on this regimen for about six months. I suffered through the side effects for a month or so, but since they subsided I've not had any other problems with Metformin.

Has anyone else experienced a low B12 level while on Metformin? Did it affect your weight loss at all, and if so, how? Did you find that you had to adjust your eating habits at all (like including more B12-rich foods in your diet, etc)?

I'm just kind of apprehensive because I've never had a low B12 level before, so I'm thinking that it must be from the Metformin (I've done some research and it is known to cause a problem with the absorption of B12.) Also (I know I'm asking a lot of questions...sorry!) has anyone been able to actually discontinue Metformin after a certain period? I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2007, but like I said, I've only been on Metformin for six months because I was away from home between the time of my diagnosis up until then, and I didn't want to go on Met until I got home and discussed it with my family doctor.

I'm just a little freaked, I guess, that instead of being able to actually come OFF of medications, now I've got *another* one added. It's like...wasn't weight loss supposed to HELP me with my health issues?

So...any advice/anecdata would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I'm not on Metformin, so I can't say.

But I think I read that just general IR/PCOS etc., can also cause low B12 levels.

I wouldn't worry about seeing it as another medication. I think of it as a supplement to make me feel better. I take a ton of them, vitamins and minerals, and while it would be a perfect world not to have to take anything, I know that I don't eat balanced enough (nor do I want to spend so much time calculating my food nutrition) to make sure I am with just the foods I eat.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #3  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Thank you for the comment, Rana. I think I'm going to take your advice and think of it as just another supplement. That way I won't feel like "Ugh, another medication!"

Thanks so much. Your comment has helped me feel a lot better.
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote