100 lb. Club - Fuming!

View Full Version : Fuming!

Trazey34
04-07-2011, 12:50 PM
sooooooo I do spring cleaning and pack up 3 bags and 2 boxes of old clothes, most of them in about a 3X or a 4X, all nicely cleaned and in good shape, barely worn, and take them off to Goodwill.

A young man who works at the store comes out to help get the bags/boxes, and opens one up and takes a top out and holds it up and says "OMG How BIG is this?" and I said "it's plus-sized women's clothes from when I was bigger."

he says................and i'm not even kidding here.............

"oh you should keep it for when you get fat again"

In case you missed that he said

OH YOU SHOULD KEEP IT FOR WHEN YOU GET FAT AGAIN

PaulaM
04-07-2011, 12:51 PM
@#$%&!

Iianae
04-07-2011, 12:52 PM
OMG! What did you say?! Does he still have all his teeth??

OhMyDogs
04-07-2011, 12:53 PM
OMG!! OMG!! OMG!!

I have started typing a few different things, and then just backspaced them away because frankly....OMG!!! That's about all I can say aside from "did you get his @ss fired? Cause I sure as heck would have!!"

Emme
04-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Wow. I have no words except cuss words in reference to that person, so I will stop here.

tea2
04-07-2011, 12:54 PM
My jaw is on the floor! I can't BELIEVE someone would say something like that. I've been trying to construct it as a stupid kid/man compliment somehow, but I've got nuthin'.

One of these days I will remember to take the Amanda approach and say, "Did you just say that out loud? How inappropriate. I feel sorry for you."

OhMyDogs
04-07-2011, 12:55 PM
OMG! What did you say?! Does he still have all his teeth??

I laughed when I read this because one of the things I backspaced away was saying that I would have said "Maybe you should put all those nice squishy fat girl clothes behind you, so you have a soft landing when I punch you out"

aimeebell
04-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Speechless.

supergir111
04-07-2011, 01:02 PM
oh wow! :faint:

Sandi
04-07-2011, 01:05 PM
:?: WTH is wrong with people. Please tell me you said something...

Ruthxxx
04-07-2011, 01:06 PM
As my mother would say, "Personal comments are seldom in good taste". That might have worked but he probably was too dumb to understand the big words!

mj5
04-07-2011, 01:58 PM
O.m.g....................

shannonmb
04-07-2011, 01:59 PM
@#$%&!

^^:mad:

GirlyGirlSebas
04-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Please tell me that this was a young teenager. Otherwise, the thought that a grown man would say something like this is just crazy!

luckymommy
04-07-2011, 02:06 PM
I can never think of a good comeback in the moment, but how about: Well, I might lose and gain weight but at least it's something I can change whereas you're going to be an idiot forever....why don't you go back to the village you crawled out of because they must miss your witty commentary!" Ok, maybe it's not that funny but that has got me fuming mad! He doesn't deserve that job when there are so many good people out of work.

beerab
04-07-2011, 02:13 PM
WOW! Please tell me you did say something! What a jerk!

romainelettuce
04-07-2011, 02:18 PM
Oh. My. God. I think I would have choked him with one of the sweaters. What an @ss!

JOLINA
04-07-2011, 02:22 PM
It is a sad comment that he made. It must come from the fact that he must have family members or friends that did lose a lot of weight, only to gain it all back.
It is very difficult to maintain a lower weight.

So he is speaking from his own experience. He is concerned about your pocketbook.
I am sure he meant well. He is advising you to not throw out the clothes because someone he knows just had to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe when they got overweight again.
He is trying in his own way to save you some money.

But if you can stick with a maintenance schedule for the rest of your life, there is no worry. Go ahead and donate the clothes.

I have a lot more weight to lose, and I can see how many people here lost a lot of weight, only to regain a lot of it back. It takes dedication and perseverence to stay thin, that's for sure.

I have a friend who is telling me at least once a month not to throw out my clothes as they get baggy. It is because she has gone on so many diets in the past, just to gain it all back. She is very discouraged at her inability to maintain.
So I don't get annoyed. She is speaking from her own experience and she has my best interests in mind.
But I just explain that this is a life change, and I must be ever vigilant from now on.
:smug:

Joszac
04-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Man that must of really pissed you off!!! Good for you for not smackin him one.

I have had similar situations where they were rude as anything when I was dropping things off. I was soooooooo mad one time I went in and filed a complaint and they encouraged the complaint and thanked me for it. Then they told me they need this type of feedback to help their intake people because most of them are hired because they have some sort of mental disorder, developmentally delayed and other problems. I felt so bad after that BUT it didn't take away from how I felt when they treated me that way. It still pissed me off or hurt my feelings depending on the situation.

Beck
04-07-2011, 02:26 PM
Oh my goodness! I can't believe the nerve. I hope you spoke with his boss, and an email or letter to Goodwill headquarters wouldn't hurt either.

I'm sorry that you had such an encounter with this creature.

GirlyGirlSebas
04-07-2011, 02:26 PM
Jolina, you are a very nice person. But, I don't think he deserves this amount of consideration. He was rude and out-of-line. No excuses. As we mature, we are supposed to learn tact and politeness. Regardless of his personal thoughts, if he is past grade school, he should know better than to ever say something like this.

Eliana
04-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Now you have someone else to add to your list of people to prove wrong. :D

Unbelievable...between this and the appalling behavior women are reporting about gym goers, I am in shock at what has become of the human race. :(

Trazey34
04-07-2011, 02:29 PM
grrrr I'm still in a rage LOL and Rhonda he was young, but not a teen, about 25 - 27 somewhere in there. And Jolina, no he was not trying to save me money, he was a smirking a$$hole.

I said to the guy "WHAT did you just say to me??? Get the manger right now please" I told the Manager what he said, and she was apoplectic with embarassment. I told the pair of them to pack the stuff up BACK IN MY CAR as I would not be donating to them.

Strangely enough, I came to work and told my friends, and as luck would have it one of them has a sister that's a big girl who's in dire financial straits and could really use some nice used clothing so I was thrilled to pass it ALL along to her!

Eliana
04-07-2011, 02:35 PM
grrrr I'm still in a rage LOL and Rhonda he was young, but not a teen, about 25 - 27 somewhere in there. And Jolina, no he was not trying to save me money, he was a smirking a$$hole.

I said to the guy "WHAT did you just say to me??? Get the manger right now please" I told the Manager what he said, and she was apoplectic with embarassment. I told the pair of them to pack the stuff up BACK IN MY CAR as I would not be donating to them.

Strangely enough, I came to work and told my friends, and as luck would have it one of them has a sister that's a big girl who's in dire financial straits and could really use some nice used clothing so I was thrilled to pass it ALL along to her!

Wow! Can you say "meant to be"? It's awfully crummy that you had to be in the middle of it, but this story has a happy ending! :D

sept15lija
04-07-2011, 02:49 PM

Good for you!! And so happy your clothes are going to someone who will really appreciate them and can really use them. Words cannot express the disgust I have for that guy though!! WHAT A JERK!!!!

Joszac
04-07-2011, 03:11 PM
after really paying attention to your before and after picture maybe the young man was being a smart *** because he didn't believe you ever fit in those clothes:) From your picture you could fit 2 or more of you in your old clothes.

Just wanted to say GREAT job on your weight loss. Amazing!

Xaria
04-07-2011, 03:12 PM
What an ***! *hugs*

Trazey34
04-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the kind words & hugs peeps! I'm glad I'm not crazy touchy/sensitive and this really WAS an a$$holey thing to say LOL

Arctic Mama
04-07-2011, 04:03 PM
I'd have been livid. Off my rocker mad. I'm so glad it worked out that someone more polite needed them, instead :)

L R K
04-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Christ, what is wrong with people :?:

tsuninight
04-07-2011, 04:51 PM
I would have either smacked him, or asked to see his manager... what a little turd bucket.

If he's there next time you take in old cloths you should casually comment on how Oh look I haven't gained the weight back.... then resist the urge to kick him in the shins.

tsuninight
04-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Glad you found a good use for the clothing! :D

milliej
04-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Was he a big guy. Sometimes people are hurtful when they don't have the will power to do what you were able to do.

kallismom
04-07-2011, 05:14 PM
This has to be by far the most insensitive comment I've heard in a very long time. I honestly don't know how I would have responded in your situation, but it sounds like you definitely handled it well.

dragonlady1978
04-07-2011, 05:14 PM
I'm glad it worked out where some good could come of it.

Of all the things he could have commented on....most people would have seen the difference and said something about your major accomplishment and how good you look.

Some people are just negative. Don't let it bother you or they have succeeded in spreading that around. You've done a great thing for yourself and nothing any idiot says can take that away from you!

Toonses
04-07-2011, 05:15 PM
What a J E R K! Don't people realize they need to think before they open their mouths. Don't take anything that moron said seriously. I always say, "Look at the source," and move on.

kaebaka
04-07-2011, 05:35 PM
So my first thought after reading your initial post was, "Oh, he was an employee at Goodwill, right?? Isn't one of their missions to employ special needs peoples or what not? So maybe he has Downs or Aspergers or some other condition where he is just physically not capable / hasn't mastered tact yet!!!"

Because that is pretty much the only somewhat legitimate excuse for saying something stupid like that.

I'm glad you handled it well though, and it's even better that you were able to find a good home for your items yourself. :)

fatferretfanatic
04-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Who the heck says that? I'd have his job, that's for darned sure, unless he was special needs-that really does seem like the only reasonable explaination for being such an idiot!

Lizz
04-07-2011, 06:25 PM
That's so sad. No good deed remains unpunished. :( I am glad though that your clothes found a happy new owner in the end.

Thinking about it, my mom says something similar to me about clothes that have gotten too big on me, grant it, I am only down one size so far (from 22/24 to 20/22, well that is maybe two sizes for a pear shape, hehe), but she prefers to keep them in case I would need them later on again, though her reasons are not mean, just a bit selfish as she is planning on becoming a grandma one day. :)

carter
04-07-2011, 07:03 PM
I have to say, if it had been me, I would have laughed and said "not this time, buddy! I've no plans to gain it back." I don't think of myself as particularly thick skinned, but I am a little surprised at the level of rage in this thread.

I am really surprised that there are people calling for this fellow's job, or who really think it would be proper for someone to lose his livelihood over a socially inappropriate, but fundamentally harmless comment.

I don't mean to minimize your feelings, Trazey, and if you felt it was said with malice and warranted the manager's involvement, well, I wasn't there and I can't argue with that. But I really can't imagine myself responding that way, or with anything other than afterwards having a good laugh at the dork without a social filter.

CanadianCutie
04-07-2011, 07:09 PM
While it is possible, and probable that there was some reason (disability) for his lack of social filter it still doesn't make it hurt any less, or make it any less shocking. Those without social grace should not work with the public, however if this was the case there would not be enough people to work with the public.
I'm glad you didn't leave your clothes there, and that they know why. I've stopped donating to certain places based on their reactions to the clothes. For example a woman's shelter, very snarky in their comment about only accepting clothes in season, wouldn't even accept long sleeve t shirts or sweatshirts in the spring. Like you never see people wearing long sleeved items in the spring or even summer.

TooManyDimples
04-07-2011, 07:48 PM
So my first thought after reading your initial post was, "Oh, he was an employee at Goodwill, right?? Isn't one of their missions to employ special needs peoples or what not? So maybe he has Downs or Aspergers or some other condition where he is just physically not capable / hasn't mastered tact yet!!!"

Because that is pretty much the only somewhat legitimate excuse for saying something stupid like that.

I'm glad you handled it well though, and it's even better that you were able to find a good home for your items yourself. :)

My thoughts exactly.

Kiyoshima
04-07-2011, 07:53 PM
That probably would have been a good time for a "yo mama" joke. But don't let him get you down, he obviously has no people skills nor does he have the capacity for high functioning analytical thought ;)

Goddess Jessica
04-07-2011, 07:54 PM
My first response was, "RUFS?" But what I have to say is BRAVO to you for demanding to see a manager and making them pack it back into your car. What a confrontational situation and a mature way that you handled it! It would have been easy to just cuss at him or whatever but instead you made an impact on the manager, the employee and the organization. Fantastic job!

bargoo
04-07-2011, 07:57 PM
The next time I have clothes to donate , I would pack them up stop by Goodwill and tell them I am on my way to donate these clothes to Salvation Army.

Trazey34
04-07-2011, 09:45 PM
OK as corny as this sounds, I really think this happened for a reason.

The lady who received the clothes just called me, her voice was thick with tears -- her husband was laid off a year ago and hasn't found work and she hasn't had a new outfit in that long and every single thing fit her! She was SOOOOOO happy

OK I"M SOBBING NOW!!!!! best day ever!

fatferretfanatic
04-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Omg, that's awesome! Everything does seem to happen for a reason. I am so glad you could brighten someone's life. I know how it is to be a little needy sometimes-

Elladorine
04-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Holy crap to the ignorant dude. But it's great to hear that the clothes were given to someone in need that fully appreciated them. :)

FitGirlyGirl
04-07-2011, 10:17 PM
I'm sorry that you had to deal with someone being a jerk toward you, but it apparently happened for a reason and I am glad the clothing went to someone who needed it so much and appreciates it.

gagirl1
04-08-2011, 12:37 AM
That was a crappy thing to say. Keep it all in context and understand that Goodwill has job training programs to teach people without social skills and special needs people to work in society. Whatever his circumstances, I'd say he needs more training. I'm glad you were able to find someone who will be grateful to have the things you'll never be able to wear again.

JamiSue3916
04-08-2011, 01:07 AM
Oh no he di'nt! As Bugs Bunny would say, "What a maroon!" I think you handled it extremely well! He's an idiot.

twinmommaplusone
04-08-2011, 01:19 AM
I'd simply report him. Around here ALL the workers in these places are there as part of a community service. still totally rude and annacceptable.

lottie63
04-08-2011, 09:06 AM
wow.... :(

NorthernExposure
04-08-2011, 10:00 AM
WOW. That's all I can say!

PaulaM
04-08-2011, 11:57 AM
I'm so glad you spoke up, I am usually the type who won't say a word and then feel awful about it forever. This doesn't sound very nice, but in my experience many of the people they have working in those places are there because they were down and out for whatever reason, so maybe they don't have the proper "people skills" to actually be out front talking.

LitChick
04-08-2011, 06:06 PM

The lady who received the clothes just called me, her voice was thick with tears -- her husband was laid off a year ago and hasn't found work and she hasn't had a new outfit in that long and every single thing fit her! She was SOOOOOO happy

What a horrible experience for you at the Goodwill but how wonderful that it had this kind of ending!

I have piles of clothes in my spare room that I need to sort through and donate but like you, am going to try and find a more personal outlet than dropping off stuff at Goodwill (which I've done before, they've already gotten plenty of bags of stuff from my husband and I), so am going to ask around and see if friends or churches know of people. I am also planning to give the dressier stuff to http://www.dressforsuccess.org

tsuninight
04-08-2011, 06:44 PM

That is awesome. It's good to know your clothing did end up going to someone who really did need them.... even if it was because of something horrible.

Glad everything turned out well.

Ky30
04-08-2011, 07:44 PM
What a JACK (BEEP)