Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #1  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Default The age old "gaining muscle" question

I've reached my breaking point, or I wouldn't be posting this.

It's now been over a month since I hit that lovely low of 144 you all see in my ticker. Today I am up to 149! It's not unusual for me to bump up TWO pounds during TOM, but that's over and done with. Ok, maybe a few pounds of water from my allergies as my body tries to cope. Maybe I'm retaining water from lifting, who knows?

I WAS ok with this, because I was actually losing inches. If I have to choose I'd rather lose inches than weight! But now I seem just stuck. What is the deal?

I did just change my routine. For the last month and a half I switched from lifting 2 days per week to lifting 5 days. I have noticed this past week that my strength has improved dramatically. I have begun each session expecting to struggle and have ended up exceeding my own expectations. I performed 105 pushups this morning, for instance, when my previous high was struggling to do 80! (Not consecutively . I'm working on that goal.)

Do you suppose that is an indication that I am building muscle? Is it possible my body has stopped losing and that I am feeding it the right amount to actually GAIN muscle rather than just retain it?
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #2  

It is probably a combo of both. Water will be retained as the muscle recovers and with 5 days of training, that means a lot more recovering = a lot more water. Also with 5 days of training, you will gain more muscle.

Are you training whole-body those 5 days? Or do you do chest/tri one day, legs another, etc.? If it's whole-body, that's too much. Your bod needs more recovery time.

One of the theories of programs like P90X is "muscle confusion". Maybe instead of changing your lifting routine, you can change your entire method of training for a while to challenge or "confuse" your muscles. Changing things up, as you obviously know, is a good way to get off a plateau.

I was skeptical when I was forced to stop lifting and start teaching boot camp, but not any more. After 3 months I have maintained my strength in some areas, gotten stronger in others and unfortunately got weaker at pull ups. I keep a check on things every month to see what my max is. That way, I know what I need to incorporate in my classes.

Just a thought. I'm sending you training carma thru the 'net!
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #3  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

is is possible you are training too much? if you are doing full body-- i agree. Perhaps youve reached the point where i am? you know my whole story... but to rehash i cant get down past a certain weight without BACKING OFF the intensity of my training, doing body split days, no supersetting, no HIIT, etc...... just throwing that out there. I do those above mentioned things when i am in a state of maintenance, NOT when in a deficit. maybe your body is stressed and this is how its reacting?

but how long have you been at a stall, inches/weight-wise?
i mean, you ARE close to goal
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #4  
Calorie counter

LOL! Thanks!

Yes, I have it separated it as legs; shoulders/abs; chest; back/abs; biceps/triceps, so I do get plenty of rest in there. I would like to squeeze legs in there more often, but I just added the pushups T/Th/S in addition to what I listed above, so I'm going to hold off. I've been pushing hard, lifting heavy, and continuously adding more/different exercises, but I haven't been sore at all. I push to failure in the third set and still have not been sore. I think I've become efficient again. I'm considering taking a week off coming up here soon to break the routine and confuse things a little. The problem is...I don't want to!! I love the gym!

I also do spin class and run and can't imagine not doing that. Also I'm itching to join a running group on Saturday mornings and just don't want to take a break. Yet I think it might be wise.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #5  
Calorie counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
is is possible you are training too much? if you are doing full body-- i agree. Perhaps youve reached the point where i am? you know my whole story... but to rehash i cant get down past a certain weight without BACKING OFF the intensity of my training, doing body split days, no supersetting, no HIIT, etc...... just throwing that out there. I do those above mentioned things when i am in a state of maintenance, NOT when in a deficit. maybe your body is stressed and this is how its reacting?

but how long have you been at a stall, inches/weight-wise?
i mean, you ARE close to goal
The body is so backwards, isn't it?! It makes no logical sense!

I have been stalled for about a month and a half WEIGHT wise, and not just stalled but on the increase. Inches though I was losing up until two weeks ago. Now I'm convinced I'm gaining inches, but that's probably mental, honestly. After so many days of watching the scale go up, it does start to mess with the head.

Another post making me think a break is in order.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #6  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Eliana--- youve done everything right... i think a break would be a great idea.. your last one was in dec/early jan? its now april..... give your body a break...... itll release all that water and along with it weight AND inches.

But you already know the benefit of breaking.
ive truly enjoyd following your journey and watching you progress in working on your fat loss, physique and knowledge of dieting down and gaining muslce...etc.....
Youre fantastic
One of the ones who truly "gets" it
kudos
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote