Weight Loss Support - massive weightloss without surgery?

Harsdottir
04-07-2011, 12:44 AM
So I was at my gym again, but at an unusual time (mid afternoon/lunch time). Two women who didn't know me since I usually don't go in the afternoon were whispering and taking bets at how long I would last in coming to the gym before I quit. Little did they know that I have been a long standing regular, who comes in the early mornings or after work, and that I'd already lost a substantial amount of weight.
I guess they didn't know because for all practical purposes I am still obese. What is funny is that when I go at off hours (not my regular times) I see other obese people and for all practical purposes they also look like they just started up their gym routine. I wondered if I was the only one working out regularly after more than 2 years that still looks like I only eat jelly donuts and sit in front of the TV.

This got me into a discussion with one of the clerks at the gym, whether he'd ever seen a client start out really heavy and get really thin, without weight loss surgery. I mean went from over 300 pounds to under 170.

So folks I want to know if any of you guys know someone ANYONE who started out above 300 pounds and got below 170 with diet and exercise only. Not surgery

How long did it take?
what was their routine?

I wonder if the reason why I see so many thin people at the gym is because it's easier to lose 40 pounds and therefore look like you go, and be encouraged to continue going, than having to lose over 200 pounds and still endure the snickers of people who think its your first day there.

eclipse
04-07-2011, 01:05 AM
Well, I was 286 at my highest recorded weight, but it wouldn't surprise me if at one point I was over 300, and I'm 160 as of this morning - no surgery! I started in September of 2009, so it's been about a year and a half for me. I've been very consistent with the diet side of things. I've had various health issues that have made excercise more complicated (a serious back injury just over a year ago that prevented pretty much any exercise at all save physical therapy for a good 6 months or so was the biggest one. I still have issues from it and have to be very careful with exercise). Anyhow - I know it can be done, because I've done it.

starbrite
04-07-2011, 01:24 AM
Began at 298 now 166 :D NO SURGERY !! Done in 3 days less than a year. My plan was to follow low carb, drink loads of water and never cheat. I also weigh daily to see the effects of certain foods and my cycle. I have this week added resistance training, but this is the first formal exercise of my journey.
H*ll yeah it can be done- if you are focussed and believe in your plan.

milmin2043
04-07-2011, 01:31 AM
Hopefully Lori Bell will chime in. I know she was over 300 at her start weight and is now under 140, without surgery. I think (if I remember right) she also said that she didn't do any structured exercise, for instance at a gym. She just increased her day to day activities.

geoblewis
04-07-2011, 01:32 AM
I have a friend who is a chef at a spa in Vermont. It's a health spa for women, so all her cooking is according to their dietary guidelines. My friend was nearly 400 lbs when she started working there. She took the job at the spa because they offered to let her work their program for free while she lived and worked there. She is now in the 150 lbs range and has kept the weight off for at least four years. It took her three years to lose it all, entirely with a balanced, clean diet at around 1500 calories and lots of exercise that included cardio, weight training and Pilates. She's in great shape now.

A lot of people who go to the gym and have been going to the gym, even if they are "thin", never increase their level of fitness. There are a lot of people who exercise at the gym to manage their calories from the drinking they do on the weekends.

It's a pity there aren't gyms for people to go exercise their maturity. Some people manage to go through their entire life being small-minded and obtuse and never exercise their emotional intelligence. They think that because they're thin, no one will notice.

milmin2043
04-07-2011, 01:35 AM
oh and harsdottir...I think 161 is massive weight loss. I am amazed at what you've been able to achieve. I always wondered if I had started out 100 lbs. heavier than my high weight if I would have been able to find the initiative to not only start, but keep going. You are amazing to me, as well as anyone else who has lost this much.

I have to ask........did these 2 harpies actually say this stuff loud enough for you to hear it....placing bets on how long you'd last? I can't believe how incredibly rude and obnoxious some people can be. Although, that would just spur me on to keep going because I love to prove people wrong.

You go girl! You're amazing and don't you forget it!!!!!

Lori Bell
04-07-2011, 06:55 AM
Hopefully Lori Bell will chime in. I know she was over 300 at her start weight and is now under 140, without surgery. I think (if I remember right) she also said that she didn't do any structured exercise, for instance at a gym. She just increased her day to day activities.

YES! You are absolutely correct! No surgery, no gym...just a pure desire to lose weight...day after day after week after week after month after month!

I have no idea what my actual real starting weight was. I followed a plan for several weeks before I got a scale that actually went above 305...unless you call ERROR a starting weight! :o:D After buying a new scale, getting it home and taking it out of the box, I was at 333.

Although, that would just spur me on to keep going because I love to prove people wrong.

And this too! I felt the need to make a few people eat crow. Doesn't hurt if it keeps you going right?? lol :)

Vladadog
04-07-2011, 08:07 AM
It's a pity there aren't gyms for people to go exercise their maturity. Some people manage to go through their entire life being small-minded and obtuse and never exercise their emotional intelligence. They think that because they're thin, no one will notice.

Boy, ain't that the truth!

fatferretfanatic
04-07-2011, 08:10 AM
My mom and dad were both well above 400 and are now both very healthy weights, and are the most athletic people I know. I remember my father, being very offended once when he came home from work. Someone at work had basically said that he was either sick or had surgery to lose that kind of weight. My dad was a healthy person who worked so freakin' hard to get there, and so did my mom-I can't believe people say things like that.

Gwen
04-07-2011, 08:39 AM
Well, "How freakin rude" is all I can say! I always wish I can come up with a quick and piercing comment to respond to a rude remark... but my mind just isn't that fast. I'll shoot off a dirty look in a flash though! Not that it would have done any good with those two. Maybe if you had gone up to them and said, very politely, "by the way, I've been comming here for a year and have lost over 150 lbs. Maybe if you work really hard you can lose some of your big mouths?"

I go to a gym also, and on day I was working VERY hard on the elliptical, as I was going into the dressing room a young lady, very thin and fit, said to me "GREAT WORKOUT!" That was so nice to hear! It really felt good to be appreciated for what I can do.

MindiV
04-07-2011, 08:58 AM
I'd make a point to go to the gym again at that time until you find those women, and ask them which one won the bet. :o

Tai
04-07-2011, 10:21 AM
I wasn't quite 300, but close at 272. I got down to 130 and have been maintaining here for 2.5 years just through diet and exercise; no surgery.

Please don't let anyone discourage you; you're doing great!

Eliana
04-07-2011, 10:43 AM

Love it! :D

My best friend has lost over 100 now and I am right behind her. We go to the same gym and have just kept going. Now that I've ben there over a year I can say that all those thin people weren't always thin!! Many of us have gotten that way by WHAT? Going to the gym! :dizzy: Some people just need to get over themselves! There are several people at my gym with large amounts of weight to lose and there are several people there are just fitness nuts. But my friend and I hear over and over that we are both inspirational and were even asked by our spin instructor to sit on a panel as inspirational guests for a group of people embarking on a new journey. It was a great experience and we weren't near goal at the time.

You know you'll get there! I always feel funny going in at a different time than the norm and wonder if everyone will just assume I'm a newbie. I don't like being a newbie, especially when I'm already quite well established. LOL!

nelie
04-07-2011, 10:47 AM
I've never been below 170 but I have lost ~150 lbs and maintained that loss for over 3 years.

mel23
04-07-2011, 11:00 AM
"Two women who didn't know me since I usually don't go in the afternoon were whispering and taking bets at how long I would last in coming to the gym before I quit."

b****es.

4star
04-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Yes, I can say that I personally knew someone who lost 180 pounds in 18 months (going from 360's to 180s and eventually settling in the 170s) and maintained that loss for over 15 years before their death. Before their weight loss, the doctor's life expectancy for them was 6 months. It can be done with good old fashioned portion/calorie control. I've seen it.

Heather
04-07-2011, 01:47 PM
From 295 to 173 (though I've gained some back) and all from calorie counting and exercise.

There are lots of people here who've done that!

TooManyDimples
04-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Ugh... stories like this is why I will NOT go to a gym. I could even go for free to the one here on post, but considering how immature some of the younger soldiers can be I would NEVER work out in front of them.

People can be so so ugly. = (

Eliana
04-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Ugh... stories like this is why I will NOT go to a gym. I could even go for free to the one here on post, but considering how immature some of the younger soldiers can be I would NEVER work out in front of them.

People can be so so ugly. = (

But they're not all like that! Very rarely will you find a post that says, "Gosh, my gym is fantastic! No one said an unkind thing today!" You're only going to find posts about the negative things people say, even though that only happens sometimes. It's hideous that it happens at all and I am constantly shocked and appalled at the frequency with which it does happen! But it still isn't the norm.

I just hate to think people might be missing out on something wonderful because of few bad eggs spoil it for everyone else. :(

TooManyDimples
04-07-2011, 02:35 PM
I understand what you're saying Eliana. I just don't want to risk being one of the people who end up with a story like that. I remember things from middle school and elementary school that still stick with me to this day..

I doubt I'll always feel like that, but at this point in my journey I would just not be able to handle it and it would probably do some damage if something like that happened to me. Hopefully as my weight goes down my confidence will go up and I wont give a hoot about what COULD happen. I'm definitely not there yet.

=) Sorry to threadjack.

sept15lija
04-07-2011, 04:32 PM
I was about 290 at my highest, so not quite to 300, but I've lost down now to 138, no surgery, just plain old calorie counting! I had a couple of pregnancies thrown in there, so it's been since 2007 that I've worked at this. The present run at it has been my biggest success, in the last almost 10 months almost 95 pounds gone.

Having said that, and reading about all the wonderful successes on this board, in the real world there aren't a lot of examples of this! When I brought my DD in for an appointment, my doctor looked at me, said i was completely unrecognizable, and that people "just don't lose that kind of weight." So perhaps it's not surprising to hear that from people.

carter
04-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Gosh, I'm really sorry this happened to you.

I've been going to various gyms on and off for a number of years - I have always been visibly fat and still am, but I've never had anyone so much as give me a second look, much less snicker at me or make fun in any way I could be aware of. I've been going to my current gym for 20 months, and while I have lost over 80 pounds I am still the fattest person I see there regularly. So I agree with Eliana, most gyms are not filled with thin people lurking around looking for fat people to make fun of.

Honestly, I think the reason you don't see more fat people at the gym is not because all the skinny meanyheads drive them away with derisive comments. It's because working out when you are fat is really difficult, and just like most people don't manage to sustain a diet program for very long, most people also don't manage to sustain an exercise program for very long. And the ones who do sustain it, don't stay fat!

I am looking forward to the day when I am no longer the fat woman in the gym - but that's for me, not because anyone else there gives a hoot about me one way or the other.

Kaonashi
04-07-2011, 07:08 PM
There are people who keep an elementary school mindset well into adulthood, and those people are to be viewed with pity as the emotionally stunted waste of space they are. Don't allow these toxic people to rent space in your head, as anything they say reflects on THEM, not you.

There are wonderful examples of lots of men and women here who have lost 100+ pounds, and I always go to the goal threads for inspiration when I'm feeling low. You can do it!

Kaonashi
04-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Wait a minute--you went from 360 to 200? YOU ARE FAB. *mentally side-eying those women on your behalf with a GURL, BYE! glare*

kaplods
04-08-2011, 02:57 AM
Honestly, I think the reason you don't see more fat people at the gym is not because all the skinny meanyheads drive them away with derisive comments. It's because working out when you are fat is really difficult, and just like most people don't manage to sustain a diet program for very long, most people also don't manage to sustain an exercise program for very long. And the ones who do sustain it, don't stay fat!

I disagree. I think fear of ridicule is a much bigger factor than many people realize, especially because the safest and most comfortable exercise for very fat people is swimming and water exercise, and it's the most taboo (even most thin women are self-conscious, many to the point of refusing to be seen in a swim suit), which means the best exercise is also the most off-limits.

It's a multi-layered problem. And cultural stereotypes and expectations aren't the only factor, but they are a huge one. It's a lot easier to give in to fatigue on the grounds "I'm just too tired" when you're also facing bigotry and ridicule on top of it.

I'm not saying that it's not something that we have to overcome on an individual basis, before it will ever change on a cultural level, but it's a lot harder to "not care what anyone else thinks" than it seems. I've got a pretty thick skin, and I still cringe a little on the "death march" to the water in my bathing suit.

I love swimming, and if I could assure complete privacy, and had unlimited access I'd practically live in the water.

When my family from Illinois comes to visit, they usually stay in an indoor water park. I always have so much fun that I don't realize that I'm exercising until I'm so sore the next day that I can barely walk, and can barely move the day after that (because the day after the day after is always the worst).

As much as I love lap swimming and solitary water exercise, the "fun factor" isn't quite as strong, and the "who is watching and what are they thinking" element is more omnipresent.

When I visit them in Illinios, I have the same experience playing the wii. It's a little harder, because I do get more tired on land, but with a not-so challenging wii game (which is very challenging for me) I can still press myself to do a little more because of the fun, social aspect.

Geocaching is another (treasure hunting for worthless trinkets with a gps). I'm so fat, slow, and crippled that I can only manage the caches that are on perfectly (almost handicapped accessible) level ground (which means I've done all of the local ones), but getting to the "treasure" is incentive for me to push myself just a little more.

This summer I want to get back to walking dogs at the Humane Society again, but I need to be more careful about which dogs I walk (I got hurt the last time I walked a dog who was a little too strong for me).

There are a lot of ways even very, very fat people can get in activity, but the barriers aren't just physical, they're as much mental. Either the activity isn't seen as "real" exercise, or it's seen as "too embarassing."

The more fun you can make the activity, the more likely you'll be to do it, even if it does hurt a little (or sometimes a lot).

milmin2043
04-08-2011, 03:34 AM
Gosh, I'm really sorry this happened to you.

I've been going to various gyms on and off for a number of years - I have always been visibly fat and still am, but I've never had anyone so much as give me a second look, much less snicker at me or make fun in any way I could be aware of. I've been going to my current gym for 20 months, and while I have lost over 80 pounds I am still the fattest person I see there regularly. So I agree with Eliana, most gyms are not filled with thin people lurking around looking for fat people to make fun of.

I am looking forward to the day when I am no longer the fat woman in the gym - but that's for me, not because anyone else there gives a hoot about me one way or the other.

I agree with Carter. I was quite overweight when I joined our local gym and as far as I know, I haven't been ridiculed. However, I decided a long time ago to put my headphones in my ears before entering (so, who knows?? maybe I am the butt of tons of jokes?). I don't hit the start button until I'm actually on the machine(s), but I just go about my business and ignore everyone. I have not made the gym a "social" place, although that works great for some people. I have about an hour to an hour and a half to work out per day and I need every minute of it. I see people walk in there and talk with friends in a group for a half hour, work out for 10 minutes and then leave. I like to use all my gym time concentrating and really working. I also listen to audio books and have listened to over 35 books while working out.

You have come so far and it really pis*es me off that two people with a social IQ of 7 might run you off. Please don't let them and their silly 3rd grade comments get you down. You have just as much right to be there as anyone else.

neanderpam107
04-08-2011, 06:00 PM
I almost 'qualify' for the 300 lbs....but I was 277. I have been maintaining for over nine years. I have several doctors (I have autoimmune diseases and a lung disease) who tell me I AM the only patient they have (and have seen) who has lost this much weight and MAINTAINED (with all the emphasis on the maintained part).

I know four others who've done this well...and maintained this long too. The only difference between us is that I lost mine through lowcarb (I have Celiac...if I can't have bread, than I'm having fat!).

funlexi
09-15-2011, 10:06 AM
I was over 425 lbs when I started in 2008. I had a hard time finding a scale big enough to weigh me. 425 is the heaviest number I ever got to see, but I was larger than that when I actually started working out. Now I'm at 220 lbs. It took about 2.5 years. I first started with going to the gym and the elliptical was my worst enemy, the first few months I could only use the treadmill at about 2.5 mph. I have worked my way up to running a half-marathon and triathlons and now love going to the gym.

I always felt like the biggest person at the gym and that people were staring and judging me. I don't know how much of that is real, or just in my mind, but I go to the gym for me, not for anyone else and now I find great accomplishment when I can outlast some of those staring on the cardio equipment or lift more weight than they can. :carrot:

At 6 feet tall I will never be dainty, but there is great satisfaction in being strong. Losing a massive amount of weight is all about behavior modification. Whether it is through diet and exercise or surgery a personís behavior must change to lose the weight. I think the most important aspect is your modifications is the longevity of them. Can you live the rest of your life happy with this new lifestyle? If the answer is no, unfortunately the weight will come back. The goal is to find a lifestyle that you can say yes to.

At the end of the day our health is what matters. So get to the gym work up a sweat, gawkers be dammed and embrace the fact that you are taking time to improve your long term health.

FUNLEXI

CherryPie99
09-15-2011, 05:01 PM
I don't quite meet your criteria, but I soon will! 344 at my start and 174 when I weighed yesterday! All diet and exercise. I started in March of 2010, although to be honest I was somewhat half-assed about it for the first few months, making small eating changes and exercising a little. I was 51 pounds down in September of last year, so I have lost 120 since then.

I exercise almost every day - sometimes hard workouts and other times just a 3-4 fast paced walk with the dogs. I don't count calories really, although I have a rough idea of how many calories I am eating. For me it has been about portion control and switching to better foods, like brown rice.

EagleRiverDee
09-15-2011, 05:14 PM
I can't answer your question, but I would like to comment on what you experienced. It upsets me to hear that women would act so catty and even be obvious about what they were doing. I think that behavior like that really discourages people. There was one lady that went to my gym for a while that was 400+ lbs and she stopped going. I never saw anyone be rude towards her, but she was always alone. I would smile and say that it was nice to see her, and sort of wanted to reach out to her but didn't know how. I'm not very good at making friends, I tend to wait for people to approach me. Now I feel bad because she hasn't been back in a long time.

PreciousMissy
09-15-2011, 06:29 PM
I'd make a point to go to the gym again at that time until you find those women, and ask them which one won the bet. :o
^this^

Of course, I'm sure that they're so self involved they wouldn't have a clue what you're talking about.