Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #1  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

Default Questions about being sore...

I know I'm supposed to be sore after working out especially since I'm so new to it but what if specific areas are sore all the time and never recover?

Like for instance I'm having an issue with pain that goes from my right knee all the way down to my ankle on the outside of my leg.

I have pain in my feet when I'm on the recumbent bike. My feet burn and sometimes feel like they are going to sleep. Are these things normal?

Also, in regards to general soreness from exercising, how long should it take to recover? Is this something I will continue to feel every day?

I do not enjoy being so sore all the time, so much so that it makes me not want to exercise. I hope it goes away as I continue to lose weight.
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 198.4/145/145

Height: 5'5

If the area on the side of your leg is always sore, I would think that's some kind of injury and not general soreness. If it's normal soreness, it should go away when you give the area a little time to recover.

The feeling you have on the recumbent bike is probably because your shoe laces are too tight. I've had the same feeling on the elliptical. Loosen your laces a bit and see if it helps.

Usually, I only feel soreness after strength training. It tends to go away in a day or two. As you get used to the exercise, the soreness won't be so bad. Don't give up!
pink sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #3  
In the desert...

The first few times of strength training will likely make you ache. The body adapts reasonably well, I think, but when I take a few weeks off and then start over, even at much lower weights, I am really sore the first 3-4 times. Right now I'm on week six of a consistent workout, and while I do still feel the ache the day after a weight session, it's that good ache that lets you know the muscles are recovering. I also use it as a "check" to make sure the muscles I thought I was working are the ones that are actually sore!

As for the leg pain, I was going to say it sounds like IT band issues, but that's from the knee to the hip, not the knee to the ankle. If that pain persists and doesn't diminish when you rest the leg, I would see a sports medicine doctor or a physical therapist - there may be something that needs addressing. If ice, rest and compression help, it's likely a muscle issue. If they don't help, it could be something more serious that needs some professional guidance.

Don't give up on working out - just take it slowly and don't overdo things at first. It's so easy to get discouraged (speaking from experience) but if you ramp things up slowly, you'll probably stick with it. Good luck!
julesp313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

On the recombant bike that foot thing is normal... sometimes it is my socks that are too tight, too. Just try to wiggle your toes every so often while biking. A bunch of up in spin class get it... they call it "hot foot"
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:47 PM   #5  

IT band injuries are common and painful. Google it. There are stretches to help with it, but the main fix is rest.

I had IT band issues 2 years ago and gave up running for 7 months. I am happy to say my IT band has not bothered me since.

Also look up plantar fascaitis. This could be reason for your foot pain. It is also common.

Both of these ailments are associated with doing too much in too short of time. As a seasonal runner since I was like, idk, 12!, I got the IT thing. It doesn't mean you did anything wrong it's just that it needs rest.

Hope this helped!
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #6  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

Actually the pain is in my lower leg, not in my thigh.
After doing some research I think I might have a shin splint. I have had them before but I've only had them on the front of my shin. I didn't realize they could be on either side of your leg as well. I'm going to try R.I.C.E for a few days since that is the typical treatment of shin splints and see if that helps and if it doesn't I'll probably have an xray because I read that it could also be a stress fracture along with the shin splint.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpnodat View Post
Actually the pain is in my lower leg, not in my thigh.
After doing some research I think I might have a shin splint. I have had them before but I've only had them on the front of my shin. I didn't realize they could be on either side of your leg as well. I'm going to try R.I.C.E for a few days since that is the typical treatment of shin splints and see if that helps and if it doesn't I'll probably have an xray because I read that it could also be a stress fracture along with the shin splint.
I'm glad you were able to decipher between the two and that you will R.I.C.E. it.

Either way, an injury is a set back that can get to one's emotions. Quickly find a safe exercise to continue while the broken parts heal. That way, you hopefully won't experience physical set backs as well.

Hang in there.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #8  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

This really bugs me because it makes it difficult to walk and do any cardio on the elliptical, which is something I love doing. I'm already injured. I have to have surgery on my shoulder soon so I cant even work out my upper body. I'm basically limited to lower body & core exercises.

I'm going to try the pool at my gym and see if that helps things.

I'm actually afraid to stop exercising, it took me a very long time to get to where I am.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #9  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I was going to say shin splints, too. They go away as you get more fit. Make sure you rest. And maybe try different sneakers. When I first started running, I was using old sneakers. As soon as I got a new (better) sneakers, that made a HUGE improvement.

My feet get a bit numb on the elliptal and bike. Try readjusting your feet/loosening your laces.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:27 AM   #10  

The pool is an EXCELLENT idea! Also, what about biking?