Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 04-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 263/260/140

Height: 5'5"

Default my intro

Hi, I'm Jenn, and I'm scheduled for a gastric sleeve on July 18. I'm currently doing a 3 month medically supervised diet for insurance purposes.
Just wanted to say hello and thank y'all for being so open and honest about your journeys. I've lurked here for awhile as I made my decision. I look forward to sharing my journey with new friends!
1FatMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:00 PM   #2  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

Welcome!
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

Jenn! a southern girl! nice to meet you - and thanks for coming out from lurkdom. it's a brave new time for you, isn't it? why did you decide on the sleeve? and - tell the truth - how nervous are you? are you telling the world or keeping it quiet?

welcome aboard!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:14 AM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Glad you decided to join us

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 263/260/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffypop View Post
Jenn! a southern girl! nice to meet you - and thanks for coming out from lurkdom. it's a brave new time for you, isn't it? why did you decide on the sleeve? and - tell the truth - how nervous are you? are you telling the world or keeping it quiet?

welcome aboard!
thank you all for the welcome! how nervous am I? *very*!! but very excited to get on my way. I had my first visit yesterday with the psychologist and dietitian and am glad to have 3 months to sort a lot of my issues with food out before the big day. Which is ironic, since I was initially not thrilled with the "3 month medically supervised diet".

I decided on the sleeve because the doc that does them here has had such amazing results -- fast & easy recoveries and weight losses comparable to RNY.

I was not planning on keeping it a secret, but have only told a handful of people. The reactions I was getting were less than positive -- totally not what I expected. I expected curiosity and frankly, encouragement. I do, after all, weigh 260 and wear a 3x. I'm by no means a little girl and yet I have all these people saying "you aren't big enough for that" and "try one more thing" and my favorite -- "you're taking the easy way out" ( what the heck is easy about this?!)

So I'm done telling people. My husband and kids (9, 7, and 4) are supportive. I have to tell my work since I'll take a couple of weeks off. Otherwise, I'll just keep it to myself.

So nice to be here!!
1FatMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

sounds like you've made a good, informed decisions. and a lot of people find that others are less than supportive. oh well. life goes on. As for telling work, i think all you have to do is tell them that it's a medical thing, maybe even going so far as to say that it's surgery to correct a health problem, but i don't think you have to tell them all the details. if you don't want to. up to you!

let the questions begin!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote