100 lb. Club - I don't sweat like that!

View Full Version : I don't sweat like that!

OhMyDogs
04-05-2011, 10:14 AM
You know, you watch the shows like Heavy for example, and you see them SOAKED in sweat. Or you see people at the gym, and their shirts as saturated...no matter how hard I try, I can't sweat like that.

I don't know if I am not working hard enough, or if maybe there's a medical problem, or what, but my hands sweat, my scalp sweats sa little bit, and I may get a little area mid-back that's damp (not even visibly damp), and that's it.

Anyone have any ideas?

nationalparker
04-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Everyone's different - don't sweat it :) Seriously - our bodies are ALL extremely different and sweating is a method of cooling the skin. Some people sweat immediately - their bodies go right into that mode, others don't sweat much at all. Just do the workout you need to do for your body and keep hydrated.

MadameZombie
04-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Those people are VERY heavy and all of that fat tissue can immediately raise body temp doing little to no exercise. As nationalparker said, sweating is a way to cool the body. As long as you are hydrated, you should be fine. It might be an indicator that you're not going very hard but I doubt it, even when I'm pushing I don't really sweat anywhere outside of my head, underarms, and back and it's not like I'm drenched. If you're a woman, that could be the reason too! Don't worry too much about it! :)

twinmommaplusone
04-05-2011, 10:28 AM
It's biological, everybody sweats, maybe you dont as much as others and maybe just maybe you arent pushing yourself enough where you can really notice it. I can hop on many machines like the elliptical and ride them for a half hour and never sweat. Even now. But I'm a runner and it takes me running an entire ten minutes (or a mile) before I start perspirate and when I do, watch out, the faucets have been turned on. Sometimes if you dont sweat it's because you may be dehydrated. As a runner I get highly concerned when I dont sweat or if my sweating has stopped, it means I've lost too much fluids.

OhMyDogs
04-05-2011, 10:36 AM
Thanks all!

Dehydration isn't my problem, for sure! I was previously a non-hydrater. I lived on coffee and coke full time. Now I have 2 cups of coffee in the morning, and a minimum of 80oz of water each day.

As for working out hard enough? I don't know. Until recently, if I did 9 minutes on the elliptical (and a 2 minute cool down) I felt like I was dying. Then I started walking 3 miles a day. The next time I got on the elliptical I pushed it to 20 minutes (plus a cool down), and while I was extremely hot, and out of breath, I didn't pass out, and I didn't throw up....maybe I should work harder LMAO.

Seriously though, I honestly don't know if I am working out hard enough. I plan on getting a personal trainer in the near future, and seeing how that goes (although, to be honest, I am kind of scared).

MadameZombie
04-05-2011, 10:43 AM
Don't be scared, you're getting healthy! I would test your heart rate and see where it is while you are working out. If your heart rate is elevated to where you want it to be, you are fine. Also, is where you work out cold? If it's a low temp already you might not be sweating as much as outside on a hot summer day.

beerab
04-05-2011, 11:06 AM
My coworker (who is a fitness instructor as well) told me that if you can engage in conversation then you aren't working out as hard as you possibly can. If you are trying to get the best bang for your buck you should only be able to breath. Hence when I only have a short time to workout I go until I feel my lungs are going to burst :) I sweat a decent amount but definitely nothing like the people on Heavy!

OhMyDogs
04-05-2011, 11:11 AM
LOL I gauge based on if I can sing along to my MP3 player when I am out walking. If I can only get a couple of words in here and there, I know I am at least getting a semi-decent work out. On the elliptical, well I am at the gym, so I don't try to sing, but I know I couldn't even if I wanted to.

Eliana
04-05-2011, 11:13 AM
I have started to sweat more as I have gotten healthier. :D I'm rather proud of my sweat. :D And yet, I'm still not the sweatiest person at the gym. Most of the men in spin class are literally dripping around their bikes and many of them line the floor with paper towels. Ew! Recently I've noticed one or two drops of sweat will fall from my face and it makes me proud. LOL!

OhMyDogs
04-05-2011, 11:18 AM
I have started to sweat more as I have gotten healthier. :D I'm rather proud of my sweat. :D And yet, I'm still not the sweatiest person at the gym. Most of the men in spin class are literally dripping around their bikes and many of them line the floor with paper towels. Ew! Recently I've noticed one or two drops of sweat will fall from my face and it makes me proud. LOL!

OMG, you had had me laughing out loud. I am exactly the same...ewww about lining the floor with paper towels, but...I wanna sweat too!

I am seeing lots of changes as I get healthier...I posted on Feb 11 that my resting heart rate was 96....I checked it yesterday and it was 61..I am seeing (and other people are too) a difference in my shape, and mostly I am noticing a change in my self confidence. I am actually going to try and jog just teeeeny tiny bits today (have arthritis in my knee, so will have to see how the knee handles it). I was bummed yesterday about how long this is going to take (you responded to that thread), but Heavy last night was really good about putting my head back in the right place. If they can do it, I can do it too. I have the added blessing of not being a food addict, I just made bad/lazy choices to get me fat!

beerab
04-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Ug gross that's why I can't go to the gym! lol. Even my brother using my treadmill annoys me!

Goddess Jessica
04-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Yeah, I ditto the "don't sweat it." People are so different when it comes to this. You may find a time in your life we're you're sweating more and other times when you're sweating less. I notice that when I am walking/running, I am not noticeably sweating (but whoa, once I sit down, I am freezing!) but when I'm spinning or doing something I'm not good at, I sweat more.

Ooo! But I do turn bright red. SO annoying. At my heaviest weight, people would stop and ask if I was okay. UGH. Unless I am on the floor, leave me alone.

pnkrckpixikat
04-05-2011, 12:44 PM
while genetics or whatever makes some people sweat buckets and others not very much play a part, also keep in mind the people on shows like heavy are usually spending their entire day working out with trainers keeping them at their limit. Working out for 6-8 hours is going to generate alot more perspiration then whatever any of our normal gym routines are

OhMyDogs
04-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Ooo! But I do turn bright red. SO annoying. At my heaviest weight, people would stop and ask if I was okay. UGH. Unless I am on the floor, leave me alone.

I can relate, my face goes a nice shade of purple/red when I am working hard!!

Trazey34
04-05-2011, 01:26 PM
blech I STILL hate sweating!!! I'm a face sweater lol I need a towel to wipe off my face. Not so much anywhere else.... but as most have said, don't sweat the small stuff i'm sure you're fine, and your trainer can tell you soon if you're working at capacity.

Joszac
04-05-2011, 01:29 PM
I'm just the opposite of you. after 10 min on a treadmill I am sweating like crazy. I keep a towel around my neck to keep the sweat out of my eyes and ears, lol. I use to be so embarrassed by it but I got to the point where I just didn't care. Sweat away cause at least I was moving. The trainer I use to have would judge how hard I was working on the amount of sweat and if I could carry on a conversation with her. We could never go by my heart monitor because I take meds to regulate my heart rate.

One funny thing about that monitor was that every single time we would start heading for this one machine that I just hated because it was so hard my monitor would start beeping before we even got to it. Just the thought of it sent my heart racing, lol. At first she use to get worried, then we started laughing about it. After several months I took the thing off.

cajun moma
04-05-2011, 02:57 PM
[QUOTE=Eliana;3792409]I have started to sweat more as I have gotten healthier. :D

I've been wondering if that could happen. I joined a gym about 3 1/2 weeks ago. I've never sweat alot, but just this past week its really increased. I don't need paper towels or anything like that, but I'm pretty damp all over by the time I'm midway though.

MiZTaCCen
04-05-2011, 03:12 PM
My gym buddy was like that she never sweat, but I would drip sweat like crazy when were were doing cardio. That was until she had her personal trainer she made her sweat like crazy where she was soaked and dripping. Then again my partner was neer much of one to do anything other then weights and a little bit of cardio so that could be it. I'm not grossly overweight but even play fighting or sex I find myself sweating. not as bad as the gym but enough for a glow and my hair get's sweaty.

stacygee
04-05-2011, 03:27 PM
I spent 8 months on the elliptical not sweating. Then I sat down with my trainer and the fitness manager and alked about what I was doing. I was unhappy with my results and had just failed a stress test and my doctor didn't believe I was really exercising. Turns out they said ignore the target heart rate and push myself WAY harder. Even try pressing the interval setting on the elliptical. On the elliptical now I try to never be below 150 strides per minute. I SWEAT. and I am finally seeing the results I really want to see.

My trainer and I were talking about this today. We looked at all the people doing cardio at that point in time and none of them looked like they were really working out or sweating. He said it is one of the biggest problems with people is they get on and read a book or talk on their phone and think they are going to see results.

When I do cardio I can not read a book, have a conversation or talk on the phone. I concentrate on my strides per minute, adjusting my resistance and pay attention to what I am doing.

PS- try a spin class. Nobody leaves those dry!

beerab
04-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Those target heart rate things on those machines at the gym are total crap. If I stayed at 150 I'd never lose a pound- when I'm really pushing it I can get up to the 180s and that's when I start to feel winded.

Stacy I have seen people work out SO SLOW the machine barely registers they are on it! I remember one time at the gym on the elliptical a girl got on, wearing jeans, and moved so slow I seriously was wondering if she was joking lol.

To me there is no point in working out if you aren't going to be huffing and puffing the whole time :)

OhMyDogs
04-05-2011, 04:49 PM
150 strides per minute?? Is that like "reps" cause if so, OMG!!!

I average at about 56 reps...and I am huffing and puffing when I am done.

saef
04-05-2011, 05:08 PM
Can I give you my ability to sweat? I wish that were transferable.

Cause I can practically wring out my sports bras over my bathroom sink once I take them off. All my clothes have to go up over the shower rod to dry out for a while before I'll even think of putting them in my clothes hamper.

Also, let's talk about my mistake of buying turquoise capri pants to work out in. Never again will I get light-colored pants. Cause they show the sweat stains in a way that black pants don't. And the sweat stains make me look like I've peed in my pants.

Be careful what you wish for, darling, or you may get it ....

stasiagurl91
04-05-2011, 05:13 PM
I sweat a lot, but that's just the way i am. i read before if you are working out and you can barely talk thats vigorously working out. just go by that. if you never sweat and ure working out then that may be a problem

Eliana
04-05-2011, 05:14 PM
When I do cardio I can not read a book, have a conversation or talk on the phone. I concentrate on my strides per minute, adjusting my resistance and pay attention to what I am doing. Amen! LOL! When I first started if I had listened to the advice about the target heart rate zone I wouldn't have gotten anywhere! My heart rate jumped to "target" with a leisurely stroll! I like to push it hard at the gym, and my blood pressure likes it too! No talking, nuh-uh. :no:

Also, let's talk about my mistake of buying turquoise capri pants to work out in. Never again will I get light-colored pants. Cause they show the sweat stains in a way that black pants don't. And the sweat stains make me look like I've peed in my pants.
I just told my best friend this the other day! :rofl: For me it's gray. Never again will I wear gray pants at the gym. And it's not just me...I've noticed it on others. But you don't see that on black.

Nikki6kidsmom
04-05-2011, 06:03 PM
I sweat alot now. I take 2 towels to the gym it's so much. One towel is my face towel the other for my chest, back of my head,neck and arms. While I hate to sweat I know it means I am getting a hard workout. My workout tank usually has wet marks too. I try to keep it under control best I can but it's alot , I am learning to be okay with it.

I always clean the machines well at the gym. I feeling responsible to clean up the drips. <blush>

Oh yes ditto on the pants color. It seems to be worse when I am doing intervals for 6 miles on the bike I totally look like I peed when I am done. Black only for me.

shawnamadonna1013
04-05-2011, 08:50 PM
I dont have anything scientific to say but I wanted to comment on this because I used to feel the same way. I would hardly sweat at all with zumba, wii, my videos etc. Now I've been running 3 or 4 miles a day and it's a huge effort for me and i sweat like a man. It drips down my face, I actually drip onto the treadmill (barf), and my sports bra is 100% soaked. Just my experience. Maybe you could step it up.

JamiSue3916
04-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Yeah, I ditto the "don't sweat it." People are so different when it comes to this. You may find a time in your life we're you're sweating more and other times when you're sweating less. I notice that when I am walking/running, I am not noticeably sweating (but whoa, once I sit down, I am freezing!) but when I'm spinning or doing something I'm not good at, I sweat more.

SO FUNNY! I'm not a sweater either but I do look like a tomato after a good workout!

zoritsa
04-06-2011, 09:59 AM
SO FUNNY! I'm not a sweater either but I do look like a tomato after a good workout!

:cool: Me too! I hate it though! I would rather sweat then change color,lol.Mine is more of a splotchy red and it's all over in various places.

Years ago,I went to a trainer to work out with.He put me on a treadmill and up'ed it when he saw I wasn't sweating.I told him I rarely sweat,but he didn't listen.When he checked up on me the second time,he asked me if I was ok,because I was still barely sweating,but every part of me that he could see was bright red.