100 lb. Club - Committing for one month

View Full Version : Committing for one month

Eliana
04-04-2011, 12:15 PM
Ok, it's the beginning of the month...ish. So why not!

I'm doing a take on my own theme and that is to stay on plan for a period of time and I'm giving myself from today 4/4 through 5/4. These last 10 have got to move. And no, I'm not delusional enough to think they'll move in a month. :rolleyes:

On plan for me means:
Gym: 6 days per week this month, according to my new routine. This will be easy for me, unless my allergies get bad, in which case I'll have to lighten up on that one.

Eating: Stay within 1200 calories, most of which need to be high in nutrients. This means rare chocolate and other treats. Rare means...maybe twice per week. But this week they're out the door entirely because I've become addicted again.

Anyone care to join?

Essa415
04-04-2011, 12:21 PM
I'm with you!! I joined a gym last week so my modivation is through the roof right now... lol.

I have a cruise April 30th so my month will end there (I will pick up again after the cruise, i promised myself I could enjoy the food as long as I partake in the on board gym in the mornings).

Gym - 6 days a week: Body Pump 3 days a week in the morning and cardio and swimming mixed throughout other 3 days.

Diet - Trying to stick with whole foods, and stay under 1800 calories.

Eliana
04-04-2011, 12:24 PM
A cruise sounds lovely!! And there are so many enjoyable ways to be active on a cruise, it should be no problem. My girlfriend and her husband took a cruise not long ago and they took the stairs up and down 13 flights. :yikes: I'm not sure I'm that extreme. LOL!

I need this right now because my eating habits have slipped. Nothing big...just a whole lot of chocolate and other indulgences.

Essa415
04-04-2011, 12:32 PM
I am looking forward to it!

I have been the same way, my eating had been horrible and needs to change!

You've done awesome so far by the way! Very inspiring!

Arctic Mama
04-04-2011, 12:36 PM
I'm struggling so hard right now, and I can't even figure out why. So I'm with you. 4/4-5/4 is on plan, no excuses. This weight needs to be gone.

Nikki6kidsmom
04-04-2011, 12:49 PM
I'm in.

Gym/Bootcamp 6 days a week , plus adding activities when the weather permits like hiking and biking for fun.

Eating in check with whole foods, my plate containing 75% veggies or fruits

Limit my alcohol on the weekend and 1 treat a week. Lately it's been sorbet or frozen yogurt too often.

The thoughts of our adults only trip in the beginning of June will help me focus.

goodforme
04-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Me too me too!! I realized this weekend when my pants were so tight I was literally miserable, it's time to buckle down again. My relaxed vigilance has turned into self-indulgent laziness.

This morning packed (and remembered to bring to work YAY ME!) breakfast, lunch, and afternoon snack. Also 3 20 ounce bottles of water. No reason to run to the break room.

Gym 2 times this week, carpool partner will just have to wait in the car and read. (Her foot is giving her trouble, we've skipped the gym for 3 weeks now, and I can really feel it.)

And my biggie, cut back on the carbs. I KNOW how I have always reacted to them, but reading how the carb wars are so over, and trying to incorporate them anyway thinking this time would be different has truly shown me the definition of insanity.

Good luck ladies!

WebWoman
04-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Count me in. The additional motivation has got to help, and I need to update my look and get out of the 70's (170's, that is!). For me, I'll commit to some sort of workout 6 days, be it walking or an exercise class at the rec center, and staying with my WW plan.

I've got twins graduating from HS end of May, and a beach vacation after that. Need to fit into a swimsuit again!

Eliana
04-04-2011, 01:03 PM
I've got twins graduating from HS end of May, and a beach vacation after that. Need to fit into a swimsuit again!

Hey, you just gave me a great idea. If I make it, perhaps I'll indulge in a nice swim suit at the end of the month. :D

Arctic Mama
04-04-2011, 01:23 PM
That's a great reward, and one likely to keep you more honest, since not sticking with it will directly impact how you look in your prize! ;)

Eliana
04-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Exactly! LOL! I've been tossing around the idea of a high waisted, very modest, bikini but at this point I'm too chicken to even try one on! :rofl:

jenjen
04-04-2011, 04:08 PM
I'm in. Easter weekend will be a challenge because I'll be out of town. But, I'm so excited about Easter this year because it's the first time in YEARS I've gotten a new dress. It's a sleeveless bright fuschia and it looks rockin'!!!

My goals for the month are to eat on plan (1200-1500 cals/day); drink plenty of water (at least 80 oz/day); and exercise 6 days a week for at least 30 mins.

I also bought a tankini yesterday that I want to feel sexy in. This will definitely help.

Gale02
04-04-2011, 04:11 PM
Me! I will commit to 30 days. Less than 2000 calories/day (I'm nursing so it's not as much as it sounds like! :)), walking at least 5 days per week and some sort of strength training at least 2 days per week.

I can do it for 30 days!

XLMuffnTop
04-04-2011, 04:14 PM
I'm trying to be committed in April to:

1. Getting to the gym at least 4 nights a week if not 5.

2. Eating much better: less refined, more whole foods and staying within my calories.

3. I refuse to weigh myself in April. Since I've been going to the gym my weight hasn't moved and I refuse to let it affect me as my clothes seem to be getting looser.

Happy April to all! :carrot:

OhMyDogs
04-04-2011, 04:23 PM
I am in, except for 1 day, April 21. That day my mother in law is coming (from 1/2 way across the country, she's coming to visit for 4 days), since that's the day her flight arrives, I won't have time to cook, so she's taking us out for supper. I have been on plan every single day for 3 weeks, and plan to be on plan every single day until the 21, and only off plan for supper. So if you'll have me with my 1-day contingency, then I'm in!

1oftheLuvs
04-04-2011, 09:43 PM
I'm in too... could use a little extra boost of motivation this month. My plan is South Beach - Phase 2 and I resolve to be 100% OP until I leave for vacation on the 27th. Like Essa, I'm boarding a ship on the 30th (maybe I'll see you there!); while on the cruise my plan is to stay 90% OP and add some additional movement. I should be able to at least maintain doing that.

stacygee
04-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Eliana- I always enjoy your posts. I would love to join you... mine will have to start tomorrow as I went over on my calories today.

I will commit for 30 days and I will not go over 1400 calories and 75g NET carbs. I will workout 6 days a week.

Let's Roll~!

Eliana
04-05-2011, 07:29 AM
Lots of you guys are doing the 6-day workout thing! I'm impressed! That doesn't necessarily have to be part of though. Resting is good too. :D I just started doing a 100 push ups challenge and to get that workout into my already established routine I had to work in an extra day. Plus I like to do a long run on Saturdays.

I was within my calories yesterday, but I ate way too much chocolate...again. The good news is that it is now out of the house, which was kind of my bad plan anyway.

OhMyDogs
04-05-2011, 09:09 AM
I was within my calories yesterday as well, ate too many cheezies, but stayed within my calories! Also did my 3 mile walk yesterday (walking in an every day thing for me, as well as gym as much as I can get there, which is 2-3 times a week usually).

As for 100 push-ups, GOOD FOR YOU, I'd never in a million years even try, cause I am a push-up sissy!

Eliana
04-05-2011, 09:47 AM
As for 100 push-ups, GOOD FOR YOU, I'd never in a million years even try, cause I am a push-up sissy!

I used to be! I had a really bad shoulder. But after a year of doing gentle exercises with it I'm finally brave enough to push harder, but if it hurts, I quit. ;) I did 80 this morning, but not consecutively.

This is going to be a hard week for me because of allergies. I hate allergies! I actually lifted pretty strong this morning, but my run was pathetic. I pushed out 2.5 miles and was sweating profusely by the end. I only ran it at 5.3. I wonder why lifting is ok but cardio is so hard.

ubergirl
04-05-2011, 09:53 AM
Perfect timing, Eliana.

I'm in, and if I don't show up around here, come find me.

I'm committing to exercise 6 days per week.

I'm committing to remembering to take my iron pills because when I'm anemic I have no stamina.

I'm going back to UBER-BASICS:

1300 calories a day
no more than one serving of fruit.
protein and lean veggies for lunch and dinner.
single serving snacks: cheese stick, yogurt, apple

I lost over 100 pounds doing that, and I assume it's still going to work.

And, if I disappear, it's not good, so somebody reach through the computer screen and GRAB ME!

(Disclaimer: Today, I've already packed my lunch, which is my other option: weighed and measured plain yogurt, fiber one, blackberries, flax seed, and 20 gms of raisins. BUT, I'm thinking that going back to the plan that really worked for me is best, and that is the lean protein/veggie combo. So, I'm plan, plan, planning to make sure I have what I need on hand for the rest of the week.)

OhMyDogs
04-05-2011, 09:53 AM
I used to be! I had a really bad shoulder. But after a year of doing gentle exercises with it I'm finally brave enough to push harder, but if it hurts, I quit. ;) I did 80 this morning, but not consecutively.

This is going to be a hard week for me because of allergies. I hate allergies! I actually lifted pretty strong this morning, but my run was pathetic. I pushed out 2.5 miles and was sweating profusely by the end. I only ran it at 5.3. I wonder why lifting is ok but cardio is so hard.

LMAO seriously, I have ZERO upper body strength. I honestly doubt I could do 2 push-ups (and I promise, I am not exaggerating). You know what machine at the gym where you set the weights, and push the bars straight up? (LOL does that make sense?). Well I can't have even 1 weight on it LOL. I am a sissy! I'll get there one day (I think), but in the mean time, I just have a good chuckle at myself about it!

As for allergies, I am sorry!! I would suspect that, in theory, in cardio work outs, you're breathing a lot heavier, and therefore bringing more allergens into your lungs/nose. But that's just a guess! lol

Gale02
04-05-2011, 10:02 AM
I was within (in fact, well under) my calories yesterday and I played 1.5 hours of volleyball + my walk to the park.

Eliana - I have the opposite problem! Cardio seems to be much easier for me to accomplish while strength is like pulling teeth. I think the grass is always greener on the other side, I wish that strength training were easier for me.

twinmommaplusone
04-05-2011, 10:24 AM
I'm here, just saw this. I need to re-commit too, the training have been hard, not reason to not be losing more, cause I'm eating more and I need stop eating at maintaining cals instead of getting enough of a reduction to see a difference.
I'm aiming for 1200-1600 TIGHT, One Whole Month! Lets Do this!

Eliana
04-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Uber, I'd happily reach through the screen and grab you back! LOL!

Ohmydogs, you're talking about the bench press, and generally speaking "just the bar" weighs 45 pounds!! So give yourself some credit! Most of the women at the gym are lifting "just the bar". And women tend to have less upper body strength, so that is not at all unusual. My brother burst my bubble the other day. Here I am all proud of what I can do with my upper body strength and my brother asked if I could bench my body weight yet. :yikes: Uh...no. LOL! Not even half my body weight. He said that's something guys shoot for. We are not guys. ;)

Gale, I think maybe strength training gets easier? I don't know. Maybe you either like it, or you don't. But if you like it, that's half the battle right there. I find it very rewarding to continuously increase what I can do. It's far more measurable than cardio. With cardio you can always increase the miles and increase the time, but you can't measure your effort. I think that's why I love lifting so much. However, I get more of a rush out of the cardio. I never get the endorphin rush from lifting unless I'm doing jumping jacks between sets or something.

Notice how I can talk exercise all day with confidence and enthusiasm? And then do you notice too how I avoid the topic of diet? LOL!

goodforme
04-05-2011, 10:41 AM
Eating went really well yesterday, a few white knuckle moments when my brain was telling my inner 3 year old that no, it did not need chocolate to survive. I did succumb to a hamburger bun last night, but hey, progress is progress.

Today's breakfast is still not on board, and I have a headache, so I'm getting ready to eat some yogurt and fruit, lunch is a huge salad with turkey, and I'm up in the air for dinner, but it better be heavy on protein. Did not make the gym yesterday at lunch, stood in line too long to pay the electric bill. (Don't think my family would like sitting in the dark while I flexed my arms and showed off my hard work! :dizzy: ) Maybe tonight on the way home, the bag is in the car just in case. . .

Seems I need to set an appointment with myself to work out, and not leave it up to just in case, hmmmmmm. How do you guys get in there 6 days a week? I do my cardio outside, so maybe that's why 2 or 3 days in the gym is enough for me. . .

OhMyDogs
04-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Ohmydogs, you're talking about the bench press, and generally speaking "just the bar" weighs 45 pounds!! So give yourself some credit! Most of the women at the gym are lifting "just the bar". And women tend to have less upper body strength, so that is not at all unusual. My brother burst my bubble the other day. Here I am all proud of what I can do with my upper body strength and my brother asked if I could bench my body weight yet. :yikes: Uh...no. LOL! Not even half my body weight. He said that's something guys shoot for. We are not guys. ;)

Notice how I can talk exercise all day with confidence and enthusiasm? And then do you notice too how I avoid the topic of diet? LOL!

Apparently google tells me I am talking about the Shoulder Press...lol And it's evil!

I notice you not talking diet...and was wondering how the heck, on 1200 calories, you fit in "too much chocolate"??? lol

Eliana
04-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Apparently google tells me I am talking about the Shoulder Press...lol And it's evil!

I notice you not talking diet...and was wondering how the heck, on 1200 calories, you fit in "too much chocolate"??? lol

Ah, the shoulder press! Yes, I'm on 0 pounds for that one. ;) Just the bar.

I did a protein shake a month ago to drop as low as I could before a wedding. It worked...and I got addicted to the shake. I really like it. So I have one for breakfast, snack, then I eat chicken and veggies for lunch, another shake for snack and lean meat/veggies for dinner...and then a bunch of chocolate. The shakes are about 170 calories depending on if I put a banana in with it or not or if I use 30 calorie almond milk or 90 calorie soy milk. So basically, that's all around 1200 calories. I'm not a very good counter. :^:

And I really need to wean myself off these shakes. It's just that they're easy, they taste great and they're filling. :dunno:

OhMyDogs
04-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Ah, the shoulder press! Yes, I'm on 0 pounds for that one. ;) Just the bar.

I did a protein shake a month ago to drop as low as I could before a wedding. It worked...and I got addicted to the shake. I really like it. So I have one for breakfast, snack, then I eat chicken and veggies for lunch, another shake for snack and lean meat/veggies for dinner...and then a bunch of chocolate. The shakes are about 170 calories depending on if I put a banana in with it or not or if I use 30 calorie almond milk or 90 calorie soy milk. So basically, that's all around 1200 calories. I'm not a very good counter. :^:

And I really need to wean myself off these shakes. It's just that they're easy, they taste great and they're filling. :dunno:

OK you just made me feel WAY WAY better about that evil shoulder press! lol
If the shakes are good, and they are healthy, why wean yourself off of them?

Man you'd have a heart attack if you saw what I ate...I am trying to find a way to cut some of my carbs, but I'm one of those people who needs carbs to feel full, and I don't know how to eat without them. I am working on it. Let's not even get into the whole "simple carbs vs complex carbs", that whole idea gives me an anxiety attack! lmao I did have a chicken stirfry last night, just the veggies and chicken...but I have been raised eating carbs at every meal...so making the change is really tough.

caryesings
04-05-2011, 11:32 AM
I'm in. Perfect timing as for some reason trying to tackle the last few pounds has triggered some eating behaviours I haven't had in years and I'm a bit worried. So will concentrate solely on sticking to plan even if the plan itself is not resulting in any more weight loss.

Essa415
04-05-2011, 01:17 PM
3. I refuse to weigh myself in April. Since I've been going to the gym my weight hasn't moved and I refuse to let it affect me as my clothes seem to be getting looser.

I am doing the exact same thing... the scale was getting me down :(

stacygee
04-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Got my exercise in today. 55 minutes onthe elliptical and 35 minutes strength training lower body. Actually, my trainer wanted to try something new and we did a machine for quads and glutes. I did 6 sets and he increased the weight each set until I could barely do 4. Then we did the same thing on hamstring curls. It sounds like I didn't do much but I was exhausted after! I really pushed myself.

My eating is on plan so far today- I am looking forward to eating out tonight though... at our favorite BBQ place... but I can totally stay on plan there too!

MMM- I drink my protein shake with almond milk too. Just started and I love it. I drink the protein shake after my morning workouts. Not trying to ean myself at all. It is 155 calories with the almond milk an it tastes great.

Goddess Jessica
04-05-2011, 05:27 PM
@XLMuffnTop and Essa415 -- I can tell I've been on Facebook too much because I wanted to "like" both of your comments. Good for you for realizing it was bringing you down and doing something about it before it worked on destroying what you've been working so hard on.

LisaP916
04-05-2011, 09:38 PM
@I can tell I've been on Facebook too much because I wanted to "like" both of your comments.

LOL! I think that all the time when reading message boards... I think all site should adopt that feature!

JamiSue3916
04-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Wow! Thanks for the inspiration ladies. I am SO in! My husband and I and my parents just got gym memberships and I'm ready to give that membership and my rear end a WORK OUT!

Goals.
To the gym 6 days/week
Stay under 1700 cal/day

ubergirl
04-05-2011, 11:18 PM
Good day today. Stayed perfectly on plan and got my fanny to the gym.

On to day two tomorrow.

Blinky963
04-06-2011, 12:06 AM
I'm In! I just did my weigh & measure for 1 month back on plan and I'm down 18.4 pounds!! Now I gotta do it again. :)

Essa415
04-06-2011, 08:55 AM
Morning Ladies!!

I was up and out the door at 4:30 this morning!! I had a great workout, I must say I love body pump! I missed the gym last night because my "20 minute" nap I was going to take turned into a 3.5 hours nap :o ... guess i needed the sleep!!

I still need to get my food squared away... but thank goodness for spring and beautiful fruits and veggies being in season!

This weekend a huge group of my friends and I are having a "prom" night (This month three of my close friends are turning 30, I am turning 26 and two other birthdays are all happening), i am excited to dress up and go out dancing as I never went to my high school prom. Now I just have to make sure the night is done in moderation!

goodforme
04-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Good day today. Stayed perfectly on plan and got my fanny to the gym.

On to day two tomorrow.

Woot!:carrot: Great job, you!

I myself did not do so well. In spite of bringing all my foods for the day to work, I still managed to get really REALLY p!ssed off at something stupid, and moseyed up to the vending machine to eat a chocolate bar. Didn't even taste good, didn't make my anger go away, etc. etc. Trying to learn that lesson.

Today is going to be better, brought my old ugly walking shoes, joining a group at lunch for a mile or so. Food is packed and in the fridge, coffee is hot, life is good. Have a great day ladies!

jenjen
04-06-2011, 09:43 AM
I have a good past couple of days food/water/exercise-wise.

Already got a work-out in this morning with the trainer. She told me I'm one of her clients who complains the least. Well, I'm paying her to push me. ;)

I might try to get an evening work-out in tonight. I was really hoping to hit 199 this week, but don't know if it will happen. I don't know why, but I expect something magical to happen when I hit Onderland---Like the sky will open up, birds will sing, and all will be right with the world. :dizzy:

Keep up the good work gang!

VermontMom
04-06-2011, 10:50 AM
I think i need to openly join here to help me commit!! I maintained at around 150 all last summer. I can feel "OK" at that weight but wanted to know how 'good' I'd feel at maybe 145. Well I just weighed right now and I'm at 162, that's 2 pounds higher than I even thought. I feel SO self conscious and uncomfortable.

Some of your names are very familiar to me :) I feel in good company, that we have had losses but have slipped up either short term or long term and that we have to make the changes we need to.

My problem is FOOD, not exercise. Well I do need more cardio, so I guess I have to work on both but especially food limits. My problem is at work, I'm not given a break to eat in private and I refuse to eat in front of customers. Plus, it's a deli/bakery, I won't go into detail because it would be classified at Food Porn :devil: but I go a little insane there every ... day .... after 4 when I have no other co-workers around. So by 4 pm I feel I am starving and I just stuff my face.

Thank goodness I have only one more week there..then I get almost 3 weeks off..then I go to my summer job which is wonderful.

Sorry for the long biography!! :devil: just trying to offer my feeble excuses why it's been so hard this winter. I think that I'm fine and full until I enter my work, then the fragrances of the foods (both sweet and savory) attack me and my stomach start growling and I have 7 hours to go :devil:

I will TRY to think of you ladies here so I can report with a clear conscience every day!

Eliana
04-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Essa, wow on the nap! Sometimes our bodies really do need more sleep, and especially when we're losing weight. It's actually just as important as exercise and diet, so good for you! Tell us about your body pump class. What is it?

Vermont Mom, 4:00 is my toughest hour too, and I don't have a deli to blame it on. ;) LOL! I have recently started drinking a protein shake around 3:00, just before leaving work, so I am not ravenous when I get home. I find there are some nights I'm not even hungry for dinner and that's VERY unusual for me! I get ravenous...ravenous I tell you!

I did ok yesterday, but darn if that scale went up again. I'm up four pounds from my low! :( And my low was reached about a month and a half ago. I haven't whined about it yet because I AM so close to goal and I know it's just my body adjusting because I had a huge weight loss the month before. But now I've reached frustration level. I had a poor-me pity party this morning and dressed in shabby too-big clothes. LOL! I'm having a fat day! :tantrum: I didn't feel like putting on form fitting clothes today.

The exercise is going great! Never any complaints there. But I have got to cut out the sugar and I'm thinking perhaps going low-carb Southbeach-style might be what I need to do to bring me in for the finish. I'm attempting it today. I just need to be careful to also get in ENOUGH calories. I'm trying to tell myself it's ok to eat, just make sure it's fruits and veggies going into my mouth and not almonds and chocolate. I did great all day yesterday and then my son convinced me to pick up McD's sundaes. :rolleyes: They're the least of many dessert evils, but I'm trying to clean this up.

VermontMom
04-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Eliana - can you be a name dropper and tell the brand of the protein shake that you are enjoying?

Eliana
04-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Eliana - can you be a name dropper and tell the brand of the protein shake that you are enjoying?

I'm partial to just the Meijer brand whey protein shake. I like the "vanilla ice cream" (or something like that) because as far as I can tell it doesn't have any artificial sweeteners. Yet chocolate and strawberry did. That was my only criteria when I was looking. Be sure to blend well in a blender. I like to add ice so it's thicker, much like a shake. I've done it by shaking it with a gravy shaker before, but if you do this you really MUST let it set in the refrigerator for several hours to allow it to dissolve. I've stirred it with a spoon and blech! :p

I've checked on all the pre-made brands, because sometimes they're much more convenient, but I couldn't find any without any artificial sweeteners which give my migraines.

Gale02
04-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Had a good day yesterday. Didn't eat my afternoon snack and ended up eating 6 (yes, SIX) tacos for dinner. :yikes: I'm thinking I didn't eat enough during the day because I was still within my calories for the day after the tacos.
I went for a short walk yesterday. Not much, but something so I consider it a success.

Keep on fighting the good fight, ladies! :)

Gale02
04-06-2011, 11:45 AM
Eliana - Thanks for the info! I'm bummed to learn that most of the shakes have artificial sweeteners in them. I'll have to look up the brand you're using, it sounds yummy.

Essa415
04-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Eliana - Body Pump is a Les Mills class they offer at my gym, its a full hour of barbell and hand weight done in a way where ever major muscle group is worked. Its done to great music and even at 5:00 am has at least 30 people in the class. It looks intimidating from the outside but because it isn't too aerobic its actually an enjoyable class!! Plus looking at the bodies of the people who have been doing the class for a long time is great inspiration!

caryesings
04-06-2011, 11:55 AM
I stuck with yesterday's plan of no secret, bingy type eating. Today's goal is to only eat food I plan on eating. Baby steps.

calluna
04-06-2011, 01:10 PM
I'd like to join. Things have been haywire in my life for the last while and a commitment like this could be a great help as I approach the dates for my first triathlons.

On plan for me means:
Workouts 6 days per week. Swim, bike, run according to my tri training plan. Some weight lifting if I can sneak it in between other workouts.

Eating: Stay around 1500 calories, but not junk food. Junk food is my nemesis and it is pretty hard for me to get away from once I've given in to it for a few days.

Yesterday: didn't track calories in TDP, but my internal estimator (that I've been training for the last 15 months) puts me at about 1600 calories. Had a solid pool workout last night. Tonight, planning bike and maybe run depending on how long the bike goes.

OhMyDogs
04-06-2011, 01:22 PM
I'd like to join. Things have been haywire in my life for the last while and a commitment like this could be a great help as I approach the dates for my first triathlons.

When are you doing your first thriathlon? I am planning on doing a mini-tri on July 10, and am scared witless LOL

calluna
04-06-2011, 02:10 PM
I have two in my immediate future - one I've registered for, the other I held off on until I was sure that things were settled at home enough that I can attend.

Both events are sprints - pretty short, and something you can prepare for in a few months' time. The first one is a 900 yd swm, 10K bike, 5k run. The other is more typical at 500yd swim, 10 mi bike, 5k run.

There are events designed for newbies and for women only. I guarantee that there will be others there just like you, and just as scared. Generally there is a meeting the day before to help orient people new to the event or the sport.

I hope you do it - I'll buddy with you if you want, although I am nobody's expert on triathlon. It gives me a goal to work for and my workouts are always interesting.

tsuninight
04-06-2011, 02:53 PM
I'm totally in on this one.

My goal is to go to my farrell's extreme bodyshaping class each day (6 days a week), and stick to the meal requirements 6 days a week.

So far so good. ... Of course I'm in this for 8.5 more weeks lol, not just April, but it's good to keep myself accountable in other ways. :D

OhMyDogs
04-06-2011, 02:59 PM
I have two in my immediate future - one I've registered for, the other I held off on until I was sure that things were settled at home enough that I can attend.

Both events are sprints - pretty short, and something you can prepare for in a few months' time. The first one is a 900 yd swm, 10K bike, 5k run. The other is more typical at 500yd swim, 10 mi bike, 5k run.

There are events designed for newbies and for women only. I guarantee that there will be others there just like you, and just as scared. Generally there is a meeting the day before to help orient people new to the event or the sport.

I hope you do it - I'll buddy with you if you want, although I am nobody's expert on triathlon. It gives me a goal to work for and my workouts are always interesting.

That would be great, mine's just a mini, so it's:

300 meter (328 yard) swim
10 kilometer (6.2 mile) bike
3 kilometer (1.9 mile) run

I am in NOOO shape to be doing this, I am bat-looney for signing on (I haven't actually registered yet, just decided to do this yesterday). I considered the Sprint, but I think I'll start with this, and next summer, when I am in much better shape, I will maybe take on a Sprint Triathlon. I would love to be buddies. I could use all the motivation and direction I can get! LOL

And, I figure every triathlon needs a token fat girl ;)

konfyoozed
04-06-2011, 04:22 PM
one month from today will put me 2 weeks before my wedding.

if i can stay on plan for a month i might not look like i'm ready to bust the seams on my wedding dress. i'm in for this, even though i'm a couple days late :)

stacygee
04-06-2011, 04:38 PM
JenJen- My trainer tells me the same thing... and whats more is all the clients he tells me about that cancel ALL the time... and they lose that workout. That's crazy! I love that he pushes me so hard... but, today I didn't love my sore glutes while trying to climb in spin class!

VermontChick: Eliana is so right... a protein shake would be a great aalternative. Or a protein bar. I eat Power Crunch or Think Thin Protein bars. I love both. What's your summer job?

Eliana: I was up today too... juts one pound but that is so frustrating when you do everything 'right'. Yesterday I stayed within my calories and ate super low carb (I think 24 NET carbs)... oh well... we will see what tomorrow brings.

Essa: My mom is addicted to Body Pump and she goes at like 5AM, too. She really loves it. I have never tried it... I work out with a trainer 3 times a week so I don't think it would be a great thing for me to do right now.

------------------------

Got my workout in today... I went to spin class and then added 1 hour on elliptical. I go back to the gym tonight and will probably do the treadmill for 30 minutes and situps for 15. I go back while my little girl is in dance class...

calluna
04-06-2011, 04:53 PM
ohmydogs, there is no such thing as 'just' with triathlon! I'll PM you here in a minute so we can get in touch that way. Don't be surprised...there's a whole category of triathlete called "Athena" and "Clydesdale" for people like us, so you're not in much danger of being a token!

Talk to you soon. :)

ubergirl
04-07-2011, 08:00 AM
Hi everybody!

Day three down, yesterday.

I can't claim to have been PERFECTLY on plan. I came back from my workout really thirsty and sat down with DH while he was having dinner and I ate two oranges that I hadn't planned for. It was mindless eating, but it was nothing like the stress-y binge-y behavior that I had been up to of late.

Work out day three and while I can feel the effects of having slacked since late January, I was expecting to be back to square one, and I'm definitely not.

Calluna-- so cool that you are training for a triathalon! That is something I'd really like to do. I still haven't met my first goal of trying a 5K. Back in January, I had really upped my speed and actually felt ready to try one, but now, it's going to take me a while to get back up to speed.

Funniest thing? I FORGOT to weigh this morning until after my coffee. Down one pound since day before yesterday, and since my coffee weighed about 12oz, I probably would have seen a bit more of a dip. Am hoping that if I weigh tomorrow BEFORE coffee I'll be down another pound.

I'm trying to keep my range between 1200-1500 and even with the extra orange I was still within my range.

stacygee
04-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Well- do I have to quit if I went over on calories? I went over by 137 calories... however, I exercised enough that it didn't matter. Down a pound back to my 180 this morning!

goodforme
04-07-2011, 08:49 AM
You know, eating perfectly on plan is not really all that hard, nobody died, and the ceiling did not fall in just because no chocolate passed my lips yesterday. Walking was fun, I slept really well last night. The scale is down 1.2 since Monday, I'll take it. :carrot:

Didn't make breakfast this morning, have some fiber bars in my desk for hunger emergencies, but will try VERY HARD to just eat one. Then a huge salad with grilled chicken breast for lunch, tangerine for snack, and something to be decided for dinner tonight. 60 ounces of water before I go home at 5.

On the exercise front, probably I'll go for another walk today at lunch with the girls from work, that was fun. Still no gym this week, the bag is in the car, they stay open til 7 tonight, and we (carpool partner and I) have no reason not to go. Will report tomorrow.

Everyone have a great day!

Gale02
04-07-2011, 08:56 AM
Yesterday was a big, fat FAIL for me. I went way over my calories and didn't exercise at all. I hope you won't kick me out for it. :)

Back to it now. One day is not the end of the world, especially if I get right back on plan today!

goodforme
04-07-2011, 09:02 AM
Yesterday was a big, fat FAIL for me. I went way over my calories and didn't exercise at all. I hope you won't kick me out for it. :)

Back to it now. One day is not the end of the world, especially if I get right back on plan today!

:hug: Hope today is better for you. (Hey, if we get kicked out for going over on calories and not exercising, I should never have joined.)

Eliana
04-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Uber, how much coffee do you drink? LOL! Congrats on being down a pound! It's wonderful to see you back in the swing of things, truly.

Stacy, of course you don't have to quit. ;) It's just a focused effort at being on plan for the plan.

Goodforme, good for you! LOL! I have not done so well with the chocolate and I commend you. I mean I have, and I haven't. What I consider chocolate has not passed my lips, but I have had a Sundae and no-bake cookies...and well, that IS technically chocolate. I can't seem to get away from it. I made no-bake cookies at school yesterday and then came home and made them with my own kids. I indulged.

And I am up 5 pounds now!! I promise you it isn't the cookies, because I am still under 1200 calories and those cookies were the only carbs I had yesterday. I'm not sure what the deal is. I'd love to blame it on muscle because I have been amazed with my strength lately, but I certainly don't feel any smaller.

Eliana
04-07-2011, 09:09 AM
Gale, I figure some of us are in the beginning stages of getting back on plan, and those first few days are rough! Get a couple good days under your belt and you'll be fine!

goodforme
04-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Uber, how much coffee do you drink? LOL! Congrats on being down a pound! It's wonderful to see you back in the swing of things, truly.

Stacy, of course you don't have to quit. ;) It's just a focused effort at being on plan for the plan.

Goodforme, good for you! LOL! I have not done so well with the chocolate and I commend you. I mean I have, and I haven't. What I consider chocolate has not passed my lips, but I have had a Sundae and no-bake cookies...and well, that IS technically chocolate. I can't seem to get away from it. I made no-bake cookies at school yesterday and then came home and made them with my own kids. I indulged.

And I am up 5 pounds now!! I promise you it isn't the cookies, because I am still under 1200 calories and those cookies were the only carbs I had yesterday. I'm not sure what the deal is. I'd love to blame it on muscle because I have been amazed with my strength lately, but I certainly don't feel any smaller.

Due to not making breakfast ahead, last night OR this morning, I am going to eat a chocolate/caramel/coconut fiber bar for breakfast. I still consider that OP, but I also know that my stupid brain and body will be begging me for candy bars all day. Hey, tell me more about these no bake cookies, my kids would LOVE to help me/mess up the kitchen/eat them all. :p

I'm sorry you've fluxed UP instead of down, is TOM lurking?

OhMyDogs
04-07-2011, 09:44 AM
I am just cutting and pasting it from another thread (where I posted it)....lol

Well I went waaaay off plan (far enough off plan that I didn't even count my calories). I tried some short interval running yesterday morning, which made it 2 mornings in a row that I did it. My arthritic knee threw a major hissy fit, and swelled up like a balloon (not to mention hurting!!) so my husband asked if I wanted him to bring something home for supper. I said PIZZA! And I snacked on pizza all night (as well as a little Reece's chocolate and peanut butter), and it was wonderful! I am back on plan today, except that I am taking the day off from my daily 3 mile walk, as my knee still feels stiff and swollen this morning, so I thought I'd not risk making things worse.

Oh, and to top it off, TOM made a surprise visit yesterday (I am used to a 5 or 6 week cycle, this month she showed up 'on time')

Eliana
04-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Due to not making breakfast ahead, last night OR this morning, I am going to eat a chocolate/caramel/coconut fiber bar for breakfast. I still consider that OP, but I also know that my stupid brain and body will be begging me for candy bars all day. Hey, tell me more about these no bake cookies, my kids would LOVE to help me/mess up the kitchen/eat them all. :p

I'm sorry you've fluxed UP instead of down, is TOM lurking?

Oh my goodness, do not shoot me for posting this anyone! :p

Boil for 1.5 minutes 2 cups of sugar, 1 stick of butter, 4 Tbsp cocoa powder, 1/2 cup milk.

Stir in 1/2 cup of peanut butter and 1 tsp vanilla until peanut butter is melted.

Stir in 3 cups of oats.

Drop by spoonfuls onto wax paper and allow to cool. They should firm up.

I did this last night using 1/2 the sugar and I made my own almond butter. They were YUMMY! But they did not set up right. They were like eating raw brownie mix covered oats!!

Lainey
04-07-2011, 11:25 AM
With you! One thing that helped me like crazy is cutting all carbs except vegetables. I've lost 6 pounds in less than 2 weeks!! And I am power walking 30-45 mins a day.
All that matters is just to keep going!! And maybe hiding the scale so we don't get fixated on that thing and obsessing over every little pound :)

VermontMom
04-07-2011, 12:57 PM

of course not!!! as long as you get right back :)

stacygee - in the summer I work at a private fly fishing club deep in the woods with a beautiful lake in front. I do the pastry baking, and cook breakfast 2 days a week (we serve 3 meals a day/every day) I get to do whatever I want for the pastries (well as long as they're delicious, lol) so that's wonderful creative freedom. And I get to ride my motorcycle to work and back which is fantastic.

I had a completely on program day yesterday!!! It really really helped that I was thinking of this thread. Today is half over and I'm still good :D The scale shows 2 pounds less than yesterday which can't be true so I'm not taking it off my ticker yet, even though I want to.

for me, being on program is 'clean eating' with as few processed carbs as possible; calories kept to less than 1500; and a solid workout. I have dvd's and old fashioned VHS tapes :devil: like Gilad, Cathe, Keli Roberts. So I do step aerobics, and resistance with hand held weights. I've been having knee trouble lately so I adapt alot of the aerobics.

best wishes to everyone!!!

calluna
04-07-2011, 01:01 PM
I did well yesterday - got my run (2 miles, 22 1/2 minutes) and my bike (11.something miles, 48 minutes) in. I was thrilled with the times even though I know 11 minute miles aren't that great...it's just that I started with 14 and 15 minute miles when I was finally brave enough to jog. It's a wonderful improvement!

Ate well yesterday...venison loin for dinner, with steamed carrots and a little basmati rice. Mmmmm.... went to bed early and slept like crazy.

Tonight is swim night! Thursdays the coach usually works us very hard, so I expect to be tired tonight. Tomorrow is a travel day for work; I'll have to figure out how to manage the workout part of things. With the Pink Cheeks a month from today, I can't afford to be skipping workouts. I'm terribly nervous about it...

caryesings
04-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Eating on plan including staying out of the beau's candy dish. This is one of the behaviours that's been bothering me. I gave up candy in April 2005 because I just could NOT limit myself to reasonable portions. If I was "really good" I'd eat only 8 oz, but most days it was at least 1 lb of candy. EVERY DAY. I had to go cold turkey and it was ****. But the last few weeks I've been grabbing 2-4 pieces out of his bowl. Not enough to mess up my day calorically, but a huge red flag for me. I do not want to go through candy withdrawl again. So I now am on day 3 of my "not even a taste" plan.

Eliana
04-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Eating on plan including staying out of the beau's candy dish. This is one of the behaviours that's been bothering me. I gave up candy in April 2005 because I just could NOT limit myself to reasonable portions. If I was "really good" I'd eat only 8 oz, but most days it was at least 1 lb of candy. EVERY DAY. I had to go cold turkey and it was ****. But the last few weeks I've been grabbing 2-4 pieces out of his bowl. Not enough to mess up my day calorically, but a huge red flag for me. I do not want to go through candy withdrawl again. So I now am on day 3 of my "not even a taste" plan.

Yikes, this is how I feel about pop. I have not caved in 17 months. It's my only "no". Sipping from someone else's drink would be a dangerous slope for me and I'm not sure I'd have the strength to go through that again. :no:

Arctic Mama
04-07-2011, 03:14 PM
I've been back on plan for three days, but tonight is our normal pizza night. It didn't used to cause me trouble but occasionally a switch flips and I have a hard time controlling myself, so I'm hoping that isn't an issue tonight. I'll measure out my allotted portion and hope for the best. If I'm feeling hungrier than my standard amount, I have a phenomenal bean dish innthe fridgejust waiting to be eaten, so I do have a backup plan that doesn't involve thousands of calories of fat.

It just amazes me how I can struggle with something one day, but not another, and there's no rhyme or reason to it. Hmm.

goodforme
04-07-2011, 04:28 PM
It just amazes me how I can struggle with something one day, but not another, and there's no rhyme or reason to it. Hmm.

ME TOO!!:hug: My yesterday was PERFECTLY on plan. My Tuesday was not so hot, and today is not turning out so hot either. It's emotional for me, 100%. Good luck.

ubergirl
04-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Yikes, this is how I feel about pop. I have not caved in 17 months. It's my only "no". Sipping from someone else's drink would be a dangerous slope for me and I'm not sure I'd have the strength to go through that again. :no:

I had the same problem recently with birthday cake-- I just can't do frosting. I used to eat cake decorating frosting right out of the tube. I don't even really "like" frosting... but it just triggers binging like no other.

ubergirl
04-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Yay! Day number four on plan!

VermontMom
04-07-2011, 10:58 PM

Same here some days!

Yay! Day number four on plan!
Yay ubergirl!!

I concluded my second day being POP (perfect on plan) EVEN THOUGH this afternoon I got popped for speeding ($227 ticket!!!) for being on a hurry to visit my 77 yr old mom who is being treated for lymphoma...and I did not make up that story...and the trooper didn't care at all :tantrum:

stacygee
04-08-2011, 12:51 AM
When I made the commitment for one month I was trying to up the anty by saying 1400 calories (really down 100 from my usual 1500). First day I was over 237, today I was over 6 calories. We'll see what tomorrow brings... but 1400 might just be too tight for me.

Biker- I like your POP acronym and those officers... I hate that!

goodforme
04-08-2011, 08:44 AM
Yesterday's not bringing breakfast to work sort of worked in my favor. Instead of 1100-something calories by 3:00, I was only 700-something. I wasn't really any hungrier than usual, and it left me room for dinner and a night-time snack, and still didn't get all the way up to 2000.

Still did not go to the gym. (Picture me flaying myself!) And no dice today either. :mad:

Today I woke up to no more lettuce in the house, so leftover dinner from last night will be my lunch. Brought my eggs in, have my water, have my tangerine, coffee is on board. A trip to the grocery or farmer's market at lunch, poor planning on my part, but yay me for eating 2 heads of lettuce in 4 days. . .

The scale is down to 200.4 this morning, sooooooooooo close yet so far away! (I want to think this is fat loss, but I'm 100% positive it's just part of my same old same old fluctuation of the same 6 pounds since January.)

VermontMom
04-08-2011, 09:35 AM
Biker- I like your POP acronym

I wish I could take credit for it , but I see it here on 3FC alot :D

goodforme, isn't that funny how sometimes we just aren't hungry when we think we will be..glad it worked out for you!

well back to work today (just had my 'weekend' on Wed. and Thurs.) so I have packed a salad with tuna for lunch; a cup of yogurt with a cut-up small orange; and just had my breakfast of 1/2 cup oatmeal and 100 calories of yogurt. Wish me luck!! ( I have to stop eating cookies at work, that is my huge huge downfall)

Eliana
04-08-2011, 10:03 AM
I think I'm just glad it ISN'T payday Friday because there is no junk in the break room!

There were bagel bites with a yummy looking spread, and I just had to have a bite. Fortunately, I didn't like it! LOL! Or at least I immediately decided it was definitely not worth it.

OhMyDogs
04-08-2011, 10:32 AM
After a really bad day (overall) yesterday, I ended up off plan last night again, but I am back on plan and going to cycle down from my usual 1600-1800 calories a day, to 1400 calories a day for 2 days to kind of make up for the extra calories I ate the last 2 nights (LOL i went over by WAY more than 200 calories though).

Also I had to take yesterday off from my daily walking because my knee was bummed out, but I am going to walk today, and hopefully so some short interval running tomorrow (which is how I bummed out my knee, short interval running 2 days in a row...lesson learned)

calluna
04-08-2011, 11:05 AM
Good for you, ohmydogs! Keep up the determination. :)

I had a good day yesterday - what a relief this week has been after the last couple of months! I may some day feel normal again.

Today is going to be a bit more challenging, as I have to travel to another campus for the day. I may bring my running shoes with me and try to run while I'm at the other campus, then bike when I get back here.

I've been tired at night (consequence of too few workouts in March, I think) and not willing to get up at 5 to run early. Once I get back into my groove I will try to do that since the daylight is with us now. :)

OhMyDogs
04-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Good for you, ohmydogs! Keep up the determination. :)

I had a good day yesterday - what a relief this week has been after the last couple of months! I may some day feel normal again.

Today is going to be a bit more challenging, as I have to travel to another campus for the day. I may bring my running shoes with me and try to run while I'm at the other campus, then bike when I get back here.

I've been tired at night (consequence of too few workouts in March, I think) and not willing to get up at 5 to run early. Once I get back into my groove I will try to do that since the daylight is with us now. :)

Yeah, I don't blame you for not wanting to get up at 5am. I am very pleased these days that I am a stay at home mom, and both girls are in school full time! I have lots of time to do my own thing right now. If I had to get up at 5am, I'd cry.

Also, I did find another mini-tri last evening. It's a lot sooner (June 5) but it makes it very clear that it's for people of all experience and athletic levels, so I think I may do that one. It's also a lot less expensive, and a lot closer!

Gale02
04-08-2011, 12:39 PM
If night before last was an off plan fail then last night was an EPIC FAIL. A 5 peanut butter cookies and a slice of cake (a BIG slice of cake) fail.

I do fantastically until the kids go to bed, POP almost every day. Then all heck breaks loose after they're down and I'm like a garbage disposal for anything sugar. :( I did great for a while, not eating after the kids went to bed, and then one stressful thing and I'm back to it. Ugh.

Eliana
04-08-2011, 12:56 PM
If night before last was an off plan fail then last night was an EPIC FAIL. A 5 peanut butter cookies and a slice of cake (a BIG slice of cake) fail.

I do fantastically until the kids go to bed, POP almost every day. Then all heck breaks loose after they're down and I'm like a garbage disposal for anything sugar. :( I did great for a while, not eating after the kids went to bed, and then one stressful thing and I'm back to it. Ugh.

This is me lately and I'm not sure what the deal is. My hard time used to be between school and dinner. I covered that by drinking a protein shake before leaving work. Now my hard time is after dinner! It used to be half a bag of popcorn satisfied the evening munchies, but lately it's been a whole bag plus a couple cookies or an ice cream treat AND/or chocolate. I don't know what the deal is!

goodforme
04-08-2011, 01:34 PM
THERE IS AN ENTIRE COCONUT CAKE IN MY OFFICE. :devil: It's about 3 feet away from me right now. Everyone in the room is laughing at me, refusing to eat it. Hey, I have lost 3 stinking pounds this week, and I am NOT eating that d@mn cake. If I eat 2 slivers of the coconut with a touch of frosting on it, I am going to balloon up 4 pounds tonight in my sleep.

Uh-uh. No way.

Carry on!

Arctic Mama
04-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Gale, I struggle with that as well. I budget some calories for dessert most nights for that very reason - I am less likely to overeat the stuff if I allow myself a healthier version of it. I have to admit, though, that putting an embargo on all sugar this week has made staying within my calories much easier. I slipped up yesterday when I found some junk I thought my husband had tossed (my favorite candies), but I was still within my calorie budget. Pizza night didn't break me!

On that note, my period finally started postpartum yesterday as well, and my weight this morning was 199.6 - under 200 for the first time in about two weeks, when I went nuts and overate a few days straight. This is much, much better and where I want to be. Finally having AF begin again might explain my higher weights and craving junk, too. Hard to say. Either way, sticking to my guns with the pizza paid off this morning, I am so thankful!

Keep going, ladies!

Blinky963
04-08-2011, 01:45 PM
I share an office with 3 other managers, one of them decided to bring in a jumbo bag of Hershey minis to leave out on the desk. They have been there all week. I have twice picked up the bowl and inhaled deeply, but 7 days have passed (I just finished working a 10 day stretch) and I have not eaten a single mini. :)
Also it has been crazy stressful at work And I have stopped myself from emotional eating on 6 occasions, choosing either not to eat or by reaching for a healthy choice instead. This is REAL progress for me and the scale shows it with a 4 pound loss this week!!!

Arctic Mama
04-08-2011, 05:36 PM
THERE IS AN ENTIRE COCONUT CAKE IN MY OFFICE. :devil: It's about 3 feet away from me right now. Everyone in the room is laughing at me, refusing to eat it. Hey, I have lost 3 stinking pounds this week, and I am NOT eating that d@mn cake. If I eat 2 slivers of the coconut with a touch of frosting on it, I am going to balloon up 4 pounds tonight in my sleep.

Uh-uh. No way.

Carry on!

Three pounds this week is a wonderful loss. You show that cake who's boss, it can't walk apogee and jump into your mouth!

Arctic Mama
04-08-2011, 05:38 PM
I share an office with 3 other managers, one of them decided to bring in a jumbo bag of Hershey minis to leave out on the desk. They have been there all week. I have twice picked up the bowl and inhaled deeply, but 7 days have passed (I just finished working a 10 day stretch) and I have not eaten a single mini. :)
Also it has been crazy stressful at work And I have stopped myself from emotional eating on 6 occasions, choosing either not to eat or by reaching for a healthy choice instead. This is REAL progress for me and the scale shows it with a 4 pound loss this week!!!

Great job Blinky! Avoiding the junk is so hard but so worth it, and four pounds - WOW! Bravo!

VermontMom
04-08-2011, 10:22 PM
Avoiding whole coconut cakes...bowls of Hershey miniatures...OMG what will power, ladies! :D and congrats to those down pounds!! :carrot:

I did not have any sweets today!! :carrot: that is my downfall, at work. After the last person leaves and I'm unsupervised (I never eat a sweet thing in front of a co-worker, they're all skinny and make fun of 'fat' people) ...with 5 or 6 trays of huge cookies on the display case right under my nose...the pastry case with the cheesecake slices, bars, and whoopie pies...the racks of chocolate bars! the Lindt individual truffles...didn't have a speck of sugar/carby crap! I brought my lunch (tuna on salad greens) and a snack (full cup of yogurt with cut up orange) YAY.

Here's to tackling tomorrow the same way!

Blinky963
04-09-2011, 11:56 AM
...with 5 or 6 trays of huge cookies on the display case right under my nose...the pastry case with the cheesecake slices, bars, and whoopie pies...the racks of chocolate bars! the Lindt individual truffles...

Good God Woman! Talk about will power! That is an amazing amount of daily temptation. Do you ever just get numb to it? I just put a post-it on the bowl that said 43 calories each with a sad face on it :( to remind myself it wasn't worth it.
Thanks Arctic Mama, if you can believe it, one of my coworkers even made the- "come on, you know you want one" taunt to me. A grown man, with his own minor weight issue. After repeating this several times to me I just gave him the "shut up" look and stated that I'd rather drop 2 pant sizes than eat a bowl of minis. ;)

VermontMom
04-09-2011, 07:36 PM
Good God Woman! Talk about will power! That is an amazing amount of daily temptation. Do you ever just get numb to it? I just put a post-it on the bowl that said 43 calories each with a sad face on it :( to remind myself it wasn't worth it.
Thanks Arctic Mama, if you can believe it, one of my coworkers even made the- "come on, you know you want one" taunt to me. A grown man, with his own minor weight issue. After repeating this several times to me I just gave him the "shut up" look and stated that I'd rather drop 2 pant sizes than eat a bowl of minis. ;)

Blinky - thanks for the recognition that it is a horrible daily temptation! and I don't get numb to it, unfortunately...I CAN resist when I am not feeling my stomach growling from hunger. But the problem is getting sensible food in my stomach before the growling starts.

OH! How could that co-worker taunt you like that?! what a jerk. I think I'd peg a Miniature at the back of his head as he was leaving :devil: and be all like, 'huh? what's the matter?' :devil: :devil: :devil:

I had a slight Fail day...but I will try my best again tomorrow.

supercalves27
04-09-2011, 07:57 PM
All of a sudden I am 27 years old and I have been looking at pictures of myself and I cannot recognize myself. I teach middle school so I am on my feet for most of the day and am always exhausted when I get home. It is hard to be motivated to get outside and exercise. I thought if I joined an online journal and a blog it would help me to be motivated. Does anybody have advice on what has worked for them? I love food, but I don't feel that I eat enough bad stuff to justify the weight I have gained over the last few years. I plan on getting outside to walk/jog 5/7 days a week. Today was day one, I walked/powerwalked for an hour. Then while I was making some yummy homemade minestrone soup I went for a 10 minute jog/run. :carrot:

VermontMom
04-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Supercalves, congrats on a great first day!

Like I said, yesterday was a slight fail..today was a very good day! It has really helped that I'm committing to this thread. I went back and saw some pics of me a couple years ago, and really, really want to get back to where I was at that point (some nice muscles and low enough body fat for my abs to show) and I must have been around 145.

goodforme
04-11-2011, 08:48 AM
VermontMom, if I had your job I'd just give up and wallow in it all day long! Wow, talk about self-restraint.

This weekend was good, food wise, and I never did succumb to that cake. Scale reward this morning: up one pound. For no apparent reason.

Water weight fluctuations, just like the 3 I took off last week. I want to lose some FAT. If I can get under 200 I will feel like I'm back into fat territory, and not just water/waste.

Woke up to my refrigerator broken yesterday morning. We had a cookout with 2 weeks worth of meat from my freezer. :( Hopefully a new one will be installed today, then I can go broke restocking it. Today's lunch is salad with grilled chicken breast, breakfast is yogurt and a fiber bar, and dinner is going to be leftover grilled something with veggies.

Have a great Monday all!

Gale02
04-11-2011, 09:11 AM
I have discovered a pattern. I should have seen it eons ago, but I guess that's the way it goes.

I do great during the week, as a rule. I stay on plan and although I may slip in the evenings sometimes it's usually not huge. The weekends, however, are a completely different animal. It's like I give up and don't care anymore. I ate pizza this weekend (twice!!), had wine, cake, cookies, etc... (sorry, this is approaching food porn territory.) I will spend the week going down 5 lbs and then the weekend going back up the same 5 lbs. I've been doing this since December.

The weekend eating is a problem. Another problem is that my weekends are all 3 days long. DH is working 4 10's right now so he's off Fri-Sun. Which means I'm only OP a little more than half the time if I'm perfect during the week. :yikes:

I've turned into a relaxation eater. In the evening after the kids are in bed and on the weekends I tend to eat a lot more (and always junk) because I've been using it to relax. :( I don't know how to break the cycle.

ubergirl
04-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Well, I didn't manage to stay on plan for thirty straight days. It's so weird, because I have stayed on plan for a hundred and more days in succession, and yet, now I whole week seems like a challenge. I guess it's just the sense of urgency that is lacking....

Saturday was good and I was happy that my fitness is rebounding quickly. After slacking for more than a month, just a few days of running have me near back up to speed and feeling back in the game.

Foodwise, I made a fatal error. I only got 4 hours of sleep on Saturday night because I couldn't sleep and had to get up at 6 am to do something at work on Sunday. Got home around 1:30 and I was TOTALLY exhausted... and very hungry....that moment left me vulnerable and instead of eating a perfectly on plan lunch, I ate a bigger and less planned lunch-- but still nothing unreasonable-- about 500 calories total. But then, later in the day, I just lost it. Ended up eating six big peanut butter cookies. Crazy right?

Back on plan this morning, but feeling sort of discouraged.... I have this big important event coming up on Friday in NYC and for the first time since I started, I'm sort of worried about my weight and whether my clothes are going to fit....

Forgot to weigh when I woke up, and my after breakfast weigh-in gave me a net gain for the week. I doubt that's really "accurate" as I don't think even the peanut butter cookies would give me a one-day four pound gain.

Still plugging away. I'm so mad about the stupid cookies. They had been sitting in the house all week and I never even thought about them until all of a sudden inhaled six in row.

goodforme
04-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Uber and Gale, ya'll don't run me out of town on a rail for saying this, but weekends *usually* don't give me nearly as much trouble as weekdays. I know, I know! At home I'm surrounded by temptation, but I'm also able to keep busy doing things that aren't conducive to eating, I can take time to prepare meals/snacks that are OP, and if we occasionally go out to eat, well, that's my treat for the week. Weekdays, on the other hand, I spend stressed out, anxious, furious at someone or other, stuck at my computer all day, too busy (read: slept late) to make proper breakfast or pack lunch, surrounded by temptation (break room plus restaurants within walking distance) and running very low on willpower. So I know how you feel, 5 days a week.

Where is everyone?! Must be having a Monday. . .

calluna
04-11-2011, 05:48 PM
I'm here. Overall I had a good weekend. Food choices so-so, but fine on calorie threshhold. Lots of exercise, too. Nice ride Saturday for an hour, bike/run yesterday for a little over an hour.

I got a new bike! It's the first new bike that I bought since I was a child and saved up money to buy a bike to ride.

goodforme
04-12-2011, 08:46 AM
I'm here. Overall I had a good weekend. Food choices so-so, but fine on calorie threshhold. Lots of exercise, too. Nice ride Saturday for an hour, bike/run yesterday for a little over an hour.

I got a new bike! It's the first new bike that I bought since I was a child and saved up money to buy a bike to ride.

Congratulations on your new bike! How exciting, I haven't ridden in years. I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to do it anymore. . .even though they say you remember it, I'm not sure that applies to me! :p

Yesterday was so totally off plan that I stopped keeping track of the calories. :o Got angry (read: snacky) at lunchtime, ate my planned lunch then pop-tarts, a candy bar, a lollipop (!) and had pizza for dinner. No use crying over it now, but the scale sure paid me back this morning. Almost back up to last Monday's starting weight again.

So, today, came to work with no cash. Can't use vending machines with no cash. Breakfast, lunch, and snack are all packed and managed to come in to work with me. Coffee's hot, water is in the fridge waiting on me, and even if I have to white-knuckle it all day long, I REFUSE to waiver. I deserve better than this. . .

caryesings
04-12-2011, 08:56 AM
Dang! Secret eating again yesterday. It was only a little but I don't like this behaviour and want to stop.

Blinky963
04-12-2011, 10:14 AM
So, today, came to work with no cash. Can't use vending machines with no cash. Breakfast, lunch, and snack are all packed and managed to come in to work with me. Coffee's hot, water is in the fridge waiting on me, and even if I have to white-knuckle it all day long, I REFUSE to waiver. I deserve better than this. . .

I'm with you!! I stopped bringing my wallet to work with me a month ago. I was on a downward spiral of "diet soda, can of pringles, and a twix bar" for lunch. LUNCH- knowing all that I know I was calling this FOOD.

I have been POP calorie wise this past week but could amp up my activity. I'm going into the gym in about a half hour to get my cardio done. Tuesdays are my weekly weigh in day and I'm down 2.6# for the week!

Eliana
04-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Pft. This challenge isn't working, and I've been doing really well!! I am up FIVE freaking pounds now!! I was thinking this morning, now this can't be fat. :no: Can't be! I can not work out an hour and half every morning and eat 1200 calories and gain five pounds of fat. :no: No, its not fat. I suppose it COULD be muscle, but I also know enough to know with that kind of calorie deficit I'm likely losing muscle, not gaining it.

Urgh!! I keep thinking every day I'm going to see a whoosh, but every day that scale is up.

stacygee
04-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Eliana- not to be risque... but what about taking a diurex and seeing about flushing the excess water out of your system quickly and then figuring out what is going on? I do that every once in awhile when I have gains for no reason.

I went to the gym today but my trainer insisted on me taking the day off. I have terrible shin splints and a slight injury in my hip from running my first 5K. I guess I didn't train well enough but I did it and I am proud. So at the gym he did my measurements and we did 50 crunches and that was it... but since January 4 I have lost 20.5 inches!

eclipse
04-12-2011, 07:03 PM
I sort of agree with stacy - are your feet or fingers or anything swollen? I don't' think that could be anything but water retention. I don't think diuretics should be used all the time unless you have a medical need for them (my blood pressure meds are a diuretic), but as a one time thing to flush out the fluid, I don't think it would hurt. At least you'd be able to figure out if you really are retaining water.

JamiSue3916
04-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Hi everyone! I'm new to 3FC and just catching up on this thread. Had a good weekend. Did Zumba Saturday morning and spent several hours outside at the park Sat and Sun with my boys. Amazing what treats I cannot snack on while at the park! :^:

@VermontMom
Getting food in before the hunger strikes is really important so thanks for the reminder.

@Blinky
I love your comment about putting the calories on the bowl. That is hiliarous! I can't believe the taunt story. Some folks just feel better with others wallowing with them, huh?

@supercalves
:wel3fc: I just joined late last month and LOVE it! The other members are so great!

@goodforme
SO sorry about the fridge. That totally s.u.c.k.s! Good job leaving the cash at home to help with the vending machine blues!

@Gale02
I have the same patterns as you. I do REALLY well at work and then get munchy in the evenings and extra munchy on the weekends. As stated above, I spent lots of time outside and away from my kitchen and it really helped!

@ubergirl
Sorry about the :cookie: fiasco. I'm still early in here but it's good that you don't beat yourself up - you can change it. Just keep truckin' on sister!

@calluna
Congrats on the new bike! :bike:

@caryesings
It's not secret if you tell us. Good job for fessing up! That was one of the scariest habits I realized I had. I have to focus everyday on not sneaking food. Like it matters if anyone else knows! I know and I'm most important, right? :sssh:

@Eliana
I cannot weigh-in everyday, it would drive me crazy! Any chance weighing in less would help with the stress? Stacygee and eclipse have posted some good comments about water retention though too.

Gale02
04-13-2011, 11:16 AM
I had an OP day yesterday! :D I did have a sweet snack after the kids went to bed, but it was calorie controlled and within my calories. I also played a couple of games of volleyball that I wasn't planning for, yay for extra exercise!

goodforme
04-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Go Gale!! :carrot: Awesome.

My own on-plan days last 3 or 4 at max, then I break. I'd settle for just ONE right now. Yesterday was not so bad, but not perfect either. We had a "free" employee appreciation lunch provided by our supervisors. Hot dogs, chips, cookies, and soda. I ate 2 hot dogs, no bun, no chips, and half an oatmeal raisin cookie. Took home my planned lunch and tossed it. :mad:

Today's breakfast was another fiber bar and coffee. Lunch is salad with cuke/cheese/chicken breast. Dinner better be great because this is so boring! Trying again not to indulge the sugar monster today, can't even keep it up for one stinking day. . .

Exercise is a no go. I just can't get into the gym. I like to actually eat on my lunch break, so I just haven't forced myself to try it out. I would probably love it! I hate this about myself.

The scale is still up at 202.4, up from last Friday's 200.4 which was down from last Monday's 203.8. I'll take it, but I don't have to be happy about it.

goodforme
04-14-2011, 10:29 AM
Hello? (Listens to the echo. . .)

Scale is down to 200.6 this morning, for no apparent reason, I did eat my planned foods yesterday but also had some chocolate in the afternoon. :o

Is the unreasonable-ness of my body driving the rest of ya'll crazy like it is me? :D

Come on in, ladies, I'm getting lonely in here!!!:dizzy:

calluna
04-14-2011, 10:50 AM
Hey there. I noticed it was quiet in here yesterday too. :) Yesterday was a pretty good day for me. Exercise: biked 20 miles, ran 2.5 miles, did a short abs workout. I was a tired puppy last night, believe me. Food: was all healthy and pretty on-plan except the Hornsby Crisp cider that I drank last night. I truly think, however, that I was still in a deficit despite that cider.

Goodforme, I don't think what you ate yesterday is what determines the scale today - it's not quite that linear (discounting sodium effects - just talking about calories), so perhaps your body is not being quite as crazy as you think.

Swimming tonight, and then I think I am going to take Friday off from exercise.

Cheers!

Eliana
04-14-2011, 11:01 AM
Sorry, I get quiet when things aren't going my way!! Avoidance at its best!

Yesterday was a spot on good day! And I dropped 1.5 pounds over night, so yay! But I've been doing that all month, gaining some, dropping some, but generally trending UP. I'm ok when the general trend is down. :dizzy:

My spin instructor is now on my case, which is a good thing! She knows what I'm like at the gym and is shocked that I'm reporting a gain. I emailed her what I am eating and what I am doing and she's going to take a look for me. We both think it's a good idea for me to take next week off, which is going to drive me insane! So next week, no exercise and no protein drinks. No protein drinks? :yikes: That's going to be hard too! I've come to really like them, but they've become an easy-counting crutch.

JamiSue3916
04-14-2011, 11:16 AM
Great week for me so far. I've been to the gym everyday since Monday and that includes three mornings - which is great for me! I actually plan to go twice today because there's an evening class that I love! I won't weigh in tomorrow but hopefully it'll be good news. Either way...I'm feeling good about settling into my routine.

@Gale
Congrats on staying OP! Regardless of what the scale says, it's always a successful day/week/month if you stayed OP. Yay for the extra exercise too! I haven't played volleyball in FOREVER...sounds like so much fun!

@goodforme
So sorry about the rollercoaster week. Those are always frustrating. I'm happy to hear that the numbers are back down again.

I used to work at a much larger company but now I work for a small business. I can't say that I miss all the snacks and free food from the big boy!

I've probably said this 20 times already since I joined but I just don't know how you guys can stand weighing in everyday....I would lose my ever lovin' mind!

@calluna
Excellent job with all the exercise. Sounds like you are in fact "chuggin' right along"!

@Eliana
Yay on getting some outside perspective from your spin instructor. It's really nice to build those relationships with people that care and want you to succeed!

Blinky963
04-14-2011, 11:46 AM
I love this time of year when all the beautiful produce starts showing up at the grocery. Before you know it the farmers markets will start!! It was easier when I lived in AZ or CA, but up north here the winter is pretty bleak for produce and what is available is so spendy. It's hard spending 4 dollars for a single bell pepper when in AZ i could drive up to a truck on the side of the road (lived near the border) and buy a giant grocery bag of them for 2-3 dollars.
That said, It's a lot easier for me to stay on plan when all these super yummy veggies are available. I made a low cal "pizza" with a 50 cal tortilla, fresh little organic pretty colored tomatoes, onions, and a sprinkle of cheese. mmmm.....

Great activity this week. We rode a bike trail that was new to me & I've got my cardio in at the gym. I may have overdone it a little yesterday, I pumped my incline up to 5 on the treadmill and my hips and back are a little sore today. might be PMS too....
I'm working on a "thing" I can do every day at home for activity especially for the days I can't get to the gym. like 100 push ups and some crunches, something.. I walk everywhere including to and from work and I'm on my feet all day at work so I always get over 15,000 steps on my pedometer.
I was way low on my calories yesterday, around 1020. My evening snack almond pack wasn't in my lunch bag (still on counter at home...) and I worked until 10pm. I just couldn't justify eating 200-300 calories just before going to sleep. especially knowing I had to get up again at 6am for a meeting at work. :(
Today looks good, despite working 7am-10am then 2pm-10pm.

Arctic Mama
04-14-2011, 12:08 PM
You're doing great, ladies! I have found that when I am off the rails (as I was two weeks ago) I have to recommit to evaluating every single food choice as healthy or not and build up to on plan again. If I let too much junk in there, somewhere there is a tipping point and it just goes badly.

I was 203 and some change ten days ago, due to nasty eating and being off plan. Today I was 196.2. Slowly but surely, it's working!

goodforme
04-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Arctic Mama, that's a great observation, and it seems to be serving you well. Excellent results!!

JamiSue, if I remember to weigh every day, I do it, make a mental note of it, then try to forget about it. The way it's good for me is that if I only weighed once a week I wouldn't see the lows that come in between the highs, and I would think I was in stasis from Monday to Monday. Sometimes it does make me shake my head in disbelief! For example, there was no *ahem* bathroom break between my yesterday's weight and my today's weight, so I found it funny that my body would let go of 2 pounds for no other good reason. My good days lately have been outweighed by the bad ones, forgive the pun. If anything, it should be going up. . .

Blinky, wow! Those are some hours you're working. I'm waiting on our Farmer's Market to get busy, right now there's one or two lonely vendors out there with limp, overpriced veggies.

Eliana, glad to hear you're taking a break, even though psychologically it's going to be hard for you, I think you'll find (again) that your body will thank you for it. Good luck on going without the shakes!

Arctic Mama
04-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Sherrie, I have the same problem with weekly weigh ins. I wouldn't understand why I had certain numbers because I couldn't see the correlating pattern, so I always got anxiety over whether my weekly work was 'enough' to show on the scale. It drove me crazy and gave the scale way more power than it deserved. Daily weighing saves me.

Gale02
04-14-2011, 07:13 PM
Sorry, I get quiet when things aren't going my way!! Avoidance at its best!

^^^ Me too. :( I am back in the 230's today, but I'm feeling like it's all pretty pointless right now. I've been bouncing between 237-242 since December... blech. I'm a little bit ok with it since it's 30lbs more than I lost while nursing my first baby (I gained 10 lbs while nursing him!!), but I was hoping to lose a lot more than this by now.

I think life is super stressful right now and I don't take that into consideration when I think about my weight loss. DH lost his job 5 days after I had Eli. He got a new job, but we're (barely) living on about 60% of what he was making before. He started grad school (full time), I'm having breastfeeding issues which make me really sad (an infection and now I'm only producing enough for one feeding a day), DH has several job offers on the table and a preliminary job offer that he REALLY wants but they won't put it out on the table yet for some unknown reason, I'm taking on a 3rd kid a couple days per week starting next week... Oh yeah, and my 7 month old WILL. NOT. SLEEP. :?: Never has been a sleeper. I thought it would get better by now but I'm so tired I can hardly stay upright at this point.

It doesn't really matter, it's just all starting to catch up with me. It's been a busy, stressful 7 months and I don't know exactly how to deal sometimes. :shrug:

Thanks for listening... :)

Arctic Mama
04-15-2011, 12:29 PM
I'm sorry is it rough on you right now, Gale. The stress and lack and sleep can definitely impact weightloss. I lose weight while nursing (as I am right now) but it is a constant battle with hunger. If I make a wrong choice with my food and waste any of my 1800 or so calories, I end up overeating them just to stop the genuine physical hunger. I have to watch and plan every bite to mazimize the nutrition and density of it so I balance losing weight with keeping my energy up for feeding. Yeah, it is nice to lose a pound or two a week on 1800 calories, except the ravenous hunger is a challenge unto itself!

Arctic Mama
04-16-2011, 01:46 PM
From 203 two weeks ago to 195 today? YAY!

I'm so grateful to finally have momentum built up again, it makes staying on plan much easier.

caryesings
04-16-2011, 02:48 PM
MIA because didn't make the month. Back at it now.

JamiSue3916
04-16-2011, 04:34 PM
@Gale
So incredible sorry to hear about the stress. That is definitely a huge factor to pay attention to. And your poor DH...losing his job so soon after the baby...but so wonderful he found something so quickly...even if it is a bit less as far as salary goes.

I my 2 1/2 year old also wouldn't sleep when he was little. We were LUCKY if he slept for 2 hours straight. If you've got friends or family nearby...now's the time to call in the troops! Get some folks to help out so you can take a nap or get in a workout.

Hang tough. It WILL all work out before you know it!

@ArticMama
8 lbs in two weeks!?!? Hooray!! Keep up the great work!

@careyesings
Welcome back!!

As for me, things are going great. I've worked out 7 times since Monday. A new record for me! My weekly weigh-in yesterday found me 5.6 lbs lighter than the week before! Hoorah!! I'm settling into a good routine...for now anyway...and it feels great!

Blinky963
04-19-2011, 03:49 PM
OK, 6 weeks perfect on plan.
Today's weekly weigh in 3.6 pounds lost for a grand total of 25 pounds in 6 weeks!:carrot:
I am so in the zone right now. I can actually visualize my "fit by Christmas" plan. I'm 11 pounds away from breaking the dreaded 200# barrier. I can taste it. (if only there were an emoticon with a steely stare of determination).:D

there's a TON of stress at work right now. Corporate is restructuring our job titles and I have to re apply, and interview with the big wigs to keep my job. same pay and authority, just new name.
I'm doing much better at separating hunger eating from emotional eating this time around. When I'm sad or scared and go to the fridge I now ask myself if this is really what I want. Will this "fix" the issue or add to it? Seems to help so far.

Rainbowgirl
04-19-2011, 04:37 PM
I'm in, though I started really late so maybe I'll just be in until the end of the month and then "start" again?

VermontMom
04-20-2011, 10:22 AM
OK, 6 weeks perfect on plan.
Today's weekly weigh in 3.6 pounds lost for a grand total of 25 pounds in 6 weeks!:carrot:

:bravo: :flow1: wow!!! big congrats to you blinky :)

I have been here, but hiding in the background....my mom passed away Friday morning. So I have been sad, to say the least. Thought I had done some 'comfort eating' but I guess didn't do much damage.

since 'committing' here I am down 5 pounds..might not be all fat but it sure looks better to look at the scale. Each day I have POP, that gives me affirmation that I can do one more day.

calluna
04-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Holly, my sympathies on your loss. Not much I can do for you, I know, but still you have my sympathy. Losses are hard.

All, I'm still here too. Doing well - workouts going apace even though I have a head cold that has really set me back. And (can you sing me hallelujah?) the scale is offering signs that it might start a downward trend again soon, which makes me very happy - I want to be where I was last fall before we had all the medical problems (mainly me - 4 surgeries in 4 months, only 1 planned) and I ate back some pounds. We're still fighting the medical problems (mainly my partner, who was diagnosed with cancer a few months ago), but I'm sort of trying to use the exercise to work off the angst rather than eclairs and bad chinese food.

Blinky963
04-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Holly, I'm so sorry about your Mom.
Be strong when you have to but allow yourself to break down when you have to. Losing a parent is one of the hardest thing I've ever gone through. *HUG*

Arctic Mama
04-20-2011, 11:51 PM
Still doing well here! Keep it up ladies!

Blinky963
04-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Arctic mama, I just noticed your avatar note says you got taller! Wow, was it posture??? I have been 5'10" since the third grade and lately I've noticed that I feel a little shorter near other people who say they are 5'10". starting to wonder if I was shrinking but Yoga is helping me stretch out a little.:)

I'm still doing great on plan but I'm gonna have to do some major portion control tonight as it's "make a pizza" night at home. Luckily it's all fresh and healthy goodies on the pizza so really the only issue is going to be how much I DON'T put on my plate.

Stress at work is reaching epic proportions. .

I am allowing myself one and only one rum and diet pepsi to relax a little so this stress doesn't stick in my gut all night. I guess a drink every month or so won't get me.

1oftheLuvs
04-21-2011, 07:15 PM
100% OP here... Just 6 days left before we leave for vacation... that's when it gets a little tougher.

Blinky963
04-27-2011, 05:55 PM
We've gone quiet....

Still on plan here. Made it through tom week with a 1.4 pound loss, now that's progress. I had some planned comfort meals, just better portions.

Laffalot
04-27-2011, 06:01 PM
:) Hi All - I'm wanting to join this thread..........but it is nearly the end of Apr. Will you be doing this for May? If so, count me in! I can use a little more motivation to say the least. I'm on the WW Points+ program & really like it. I've been dieting all my life - you know - up & down & up again. but I have a different attitude now........down to stay! BFN :wave:

Arctic Mama
04-27-2011, 08:54 PM
Easter was rough! I had a date night before that and a girls get-together the night before that... Now that I am finally off the salt bloat it appears I regained a pound. Fortunately I'm back in the groove this week and the excess should be gone post haste :)

Rainbowgirl
04-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Easter wasn't that bad for me. :)

I went home on Friday weighing 252.8 and I came home weighing 252.0; even though I over-indulged with mom's good cooking (roast chicken w/ veggies and rice the first night, lasagna and salad the second, and Easter dinner of ham, sweet potatoes, asparagus, and trifle), a bit of chocolate, and more pops than I've had in 2 weeks.

But, we went quadding for like 9 hours in total (4 on Saturday and like 5 or so on Sunday) so that definitely helped, especially when yours truly got stuck in a bog on a 1000 cc quad and forgot to put it in 4-wheel drive.:dizzy:

Still 252.0 today even after my little splurge on 2 pieces of Church's fried chicken and a 90-calorie Sprite. So, doing good. :carrot:

VermontMom
04-28-2011, 07:12 PM
everyone's doing great! And I use my commitment in this thread to help me.

Arctic Mama
04-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Nope, not posture! I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I honestly think being so heavy Mmade my frame sag a bit under all the weight. I was a good inch shorter in the months prior to beginning this journey than I am now, halfway through it. There's nothing to explain it but less weight burdening my body. My posture is atrocious and could use some work, but I haven't done any yoga or pilates, I have to be careful with such things as I have hyper flexible joints and can injure myself.

My eating is getting back on track after a killer weekend, and I am pleased to report I am on plan for today and have worked out faithfully this past week! I feel better and those buffer calories help immensely :)

Arctic mama, I just noticed your avatar note says you got taller! Wow, was it posture??? I have been 5'10" since the third grade and lately I've noticed that I feel a little shorter near other people who say they are 5'10". starting to wonder if I was shrinking but Yoga is helping me stretch out a little.:)

I'm still doing great on plan but I'm gonna have to do some major portion control tonight as it's "make a pizza" night at home. Luckily it's all fresh and healthy goodies on the pizza so really the only issue is going to be how much I DON'T put on my plate.

Stress at work is reaching epic proportions. .

I am allowing myself one and only one rum and diet pepsi to relax a little so this stress doesn't stick in my gut all night. I guess a drink every month or so won't get me.

Arctic Mama
04-28-2011, 07:28 PM
everyone's doing great! And I use my commitment in this thread to help me.

Yay! I find checking in on threads like this can help me as well :). A group goal like this can be very motivating.

Blinky963
04-28-2011, 11:54 PM
Nope, not posture! I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I honestly think being so heavy Mmade my frame sag a bit under all the weight. I was a good inch shorter in the months prior to beginning this journey than I am now, halfway through it. There's nothing to explain it but less weight burdening my body. My posture is atrocious and could use some work, but I haven't done any yoga or pilates, I have to be careful with such things as I have hyper flexible joints and can injure myself.

I think my shrinking was all because of the weight too. Weight holding me down physically, weight causing low self confidence- in turn causing me to slouch, weight exacerbating my messed up (but controllable) spine issues...
I need to add in more core exercises to strengthen the muscles around my spine so I don't injure it... more.
Mostly I hold myself taller these days, holding in my abs more. Partly because I'm stronger and part because I'm proud of the work I've done.

Today I'm proud that I was able to plan out my meals so that I didn't come home from work at 10pm starving. I rarely get breaks so it was good to claim a little time at 7pm to get a healthy dinner in. Not always as easy as it should be.;)

goodforme
04-29-2011, 09:02 AM
I'm glad to see everyone is doing well! :carrot: I haven't weighed in a couple days, still hovering around 200-202, still eating on plan but sneaking in treats way too often, when will I learn???? Exercise is so-so, need to step it up in that department.

Rainbowgirl
04-29-2011, 04:02 PM
As I thought, the scale moved today:

Down to 251! I started at 262 on April 10, so 11 lbs in 19 days is pretty impressive I think :)

I'm also only 2 lbs away from my first mini-goal. I should have that one in the bag by next week!

VermontMom
04-29-2011, 04:58 PM
As I thought, the scale moved today:

Down to 251! I started at 262 on April 10, so 11 lbs in 19 days is pretty impressive I think :)

it sure as heck IS impressive!! :cheer3: Way to go!

goodforme, each time I think I'm hungry and want something not planned, I just keep thinking of my commitment here. Without my committing, I could never even stay more than 3 days in a row on plan. each time I 'treated' I was just delaying what I really wanted. Or I was deluding myself that if caved and I had a big cookie (like 300 calories) that would serve as dinner. NO WAY!

We can do this!! :carrot:

VermontMom
05-01-2011, 09:47 AM
I am going to continue the "committing for one month" here even when it goes beyond one month! This thread has truly helped me. I am down 7 pounds from when I first posted here, I am at 155 for a few days now but I won't change my ticker until there is a 2 pound difference.

I have needed to SEE that for me, the fat loss comes when I restrict my calories to clean foods, with emphasis on lean protein and filling veggies; a little dairy (no-fat yogurt) and small amount of olive oil to cook in. I have to stay away from whole grain carbs, even if I think they are okay, for me to lose they don't fit in.

I also needed to see that I had to stop the bowl of cereal or piece of toast at night, or dinner leftovers; I am not really hungry then and it was just out of boredom, or habit, or seeing my DH eat something.

The exercise I have never had a problem with, I have been a consistent exerciser for 15 years, that helps tremendously with me being able to hide a certain amount of weight but for my height I just can't go above the 158 mark and still feel okay. I have fooled myself thinking that the exercise cancels out alot of calories but it can't cancel out the large number of calories that I had been having.

so THANK YOU ELIANA for starting this almost a month ago, I am going to keep on!!!

(I also got my new-to-me motorcycle yesterday, that is a big incentive for weight control, don't want to be stuffed into my leathers, haha! )

WildThings
05-01-2011, 10:02 AM
With it being a new month, I'm hoping it's okay if I join in. A 30-day challenge helped me tremendously in Oct/Nov, but then the holidays came and crushed my committment. I've been on plan since this past Wednesday but want to make a committment to staying perfect on plan for the enitre month of May (and beyond of course).

gmailjunkie
05-01-2011, 10:41 AM
With it being a new month, I'm hoping it's okay if I join in. A 30-day challenge helped me tremendously in Oct/Nov, but then the holidays came and crushed my committment. I've been on plan since this past Wednesday but want to make a committment to staying perfect on plan for the enitre month of May (and beyond of course).

Me too please?

Blinky963
05-01-2011, 11:49 AM
I was just wondering if we were going to start a May thread or commit to May here!
Thank you Eliana, this thread has been so helpful.
For my one month commitment to be on plan; I started April first at 218.6, and can happily say that this morning I am 205.2!!:carrot::carrot:
:)That's a 13.4 pound loss this month:)

I still have a long way to go but I just passed my half way mark (62 lost- 60 to go) so that is something special!:wizard:
I have had a few low days and a few high days but can happily report I have stayed on plan and am quite happy with the results.:broc:
I would love to keep this thread going this month!

Laffalot
05-01-2011, 03:56 PM
:) Hi All - Well I'm in for the month of May! I've been having a hard time staying OP so hopefully this will help. If I make a promise I have to stick to it, right? :dust: I need lots of that! Beautiful day here today so I'm outside for the rest of it now! TTYL :wave:

goodforme
05-02-2011, 09:06 AM
I'm in! Had a tremendous shock this weekend, I finally broke the 200 barrier! :carrot: Don't know how, and don't really care, just hope I can continue the downward trend!

Blinky963
05-02-2011, 02:50 PM
I'm in! Had a tremendous shock this weekend, I finally broke the 200 barrier! :carrot: Don't know how, and don't really care, just hope I can continue the downward trend!

Good Job!!!

Eliana
05-02-2011, 03:16 PM
I'm glad this thread has helped so many of you. :D It has not helped me. But that's ok. I'm hanging in there. I took my planned break, gained 6 pounds and promptly lost 4 of those. Unfortunately at that point I had to travel for a funeral and now I'm one of those again, but it'll go down. I need to do some major de-stressing, but it's all good.

Oh, and I too grew an inch through this process. ;) I've been told the excess weight can compress the spine, so some of use grow as the extra pounds disappear. :carrot:

calluna
05-02-2011, 04:46 PM
So, are we staying in this thread for the month? Things are still challenging for me, and I'm still holding steady. They'll continue challenging for another couple of weeks, and then I hope they'll settle down for the summer.

I have continued working out steadily, thank goodness. It is keeping me sane.

WildThings
05-02-2011, 06:51 PM
Day 2 of the month and still going strong :carrot:

Okay, I know 2 days really isn't a big deal, but I was really having a problem getting started, so making it through two days this month is a strong start.

Judy Lynn
05-02-2011, 09:41 PM
If you are continuing on for the month of May I would like to join you. Today was my first day on program in a long time. I gained 17 pounds this winter! :(

Blinky963
05-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Still going strong on my calorie plan but I'm skipping my workout today. My head is so foggy that it would have been a crap workout anyway.
I'm just dreaming of my vacation time coming up soon....

Finally hit a 29.41 BMI!

calluna
05-04-2011, 12:31 PM
I'm still doing well with food and exercise. Much, much easier after TOM has arrived than it was last week. I bloat and get voracious the week before.

Rainbowgirl
05-04-2011, 05:08 PM
Still GAINING weight and I'm not sure why. I'm not deviating from my plan; it's low enough calories but not too low to put me into starvation mode. I'm getting a bit of exercise (6 km hike on Saturday; 20 min walk yesterday), drinking lots of water. I keep getting slight symptoms that TOM is showing up, but then nothing ever happens. I don't FEEL bloated; I actually feel like my stomach is a wee bit smaller, but yet the scale has gone up 2 pounds since Saturday.

If nothing's changed by the 13th, I think I'll be requesting a referral to a nutritionist at my doctor's appointment on that day. This is so frustrating. I'm not eating anything with a lot of fat in it; I'm not starving myself, I'm eating lots of veggies, lean meat, breakfast every day, drinking lots of water.

So frustrating.

Arctic Mama
05-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Hmm, how unfortunate. I lot about four pounds this month, but some overeating after easter and salt the past few days has obliterated it on the scale, and I'm about where I started (though I swung up and then down from there, go figure).

Still, I am doing better. My body is normalizing at this weight, I didn't net a gain, and I'm on plan and doing well now. It WAS, in fact, the jumpstart I needed it to be. Thank you, ladies :)

VermontMom
05-06-2011, 08:51 PM
I think i need to openly join here to help me commit!! I maintained at around 150 all last summer. I can feel "OK" at that weight but wanted to know how 'good' I'd feel at maybe 145. Well I just weighed right now and I'm at 162, that's 2 pounds higher than I even thought.!

WELL here we are exactly one month later...and I am down 6 or 7 pounds :carrot: I am so glad I was motivated by this thread! Otherwise it would be one month later and I'd still be at the same weight because I was doing the same mindless and incorrect eating.

calluna
05-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Good for you, VermontMom! Are you keeping on with this thread? I never could tell if we were using the same one or a new one.

VermontMom
05-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Thank you Calluna! I have been staying on this thread, I don't think another one was started.

Blinky963
05-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Luckily I have my head screwed on straight this time around because if old me had this week she would have gone out for pizza.
As far as my weight goes I've been on plan but my scale has some issues, It can't seem to decide what I will weigh this week. I've been flip flopping between 205 and 206 for days with a mid day 203 thrown in for good measure. I don't count any weird mid day urges to weigh myself in the official journal, more of a curiosity really. I'm just gonna keep doing what I do and hope it sorts it's self out by my Tuesday morning weigh in.

calluna
05-08-2011, 01:23 AM
I am a triathlete! I completed my first one today. :D It was so much fun, and awesome. For whatever reason, triathlon (that I thought would be elitist) is totally welcoming of all ages, all body types. I saw a 78 year old man, kids, heavyset women, big men, and skinny minnies that I blew by or blew by me.

Totally amazing. I can't wait till the next one...next month. :D

samantha21
05-08-2011, 01:31 AM
i amm so with you!! i am currently with you for the 1200 calories, my phone has an app called lose it and they suggested that amount of calories for me. i too have bad allergies so i'll try for that gym 6 days a week...

Blondie160
05-08-2011, 04:01 AM
Hi guys, I am going to join in this thread, I have no major social plans for the month of May and I'm gona work hard for this! I am going on a night out at the very last day of may and I am hoping to be 10 pounds smaller, fingers crossed! Good luck everyone!

Blinky963
05-08-2011, 11:13 AM
I am a triathlete! I completed my first one today. :D It was so much fun, and awesome. For whatever reason, triathlon (that I thought would be elitist) is totally welcoming of all ages, all body types. I saw a 78 year old man, kids, heavyset women, big men, and skinny minnies that I blew by or blew by me.

Totally amazing. I can't wait till the next one...next month. :D

That's amazing! I'm so inspired!

I'm signing the fam up for a 5K fun run today, it will be in mid may. It's funny because I do more than a 5K on the treadmill every time. It will be interesting to see how I do without the treadmill to keep me going at the pace it does.

WildThings
05-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Still hanging in there this month! How's everyone else coming along?

My calories were higher than originally planned Saturday, but I was really low on calories Wed - Friday, so had planned to add in a little more (only about 200 total). My sisters and I made my mom a great dinner yesterday, I had roasted chicken and asparagus, so a very good day yesterday, especially considering there were noodles, mashed potatoes, gravey, rolls and dessert along with dinner.

Really looking forward to Sunday, it will be half a month down!

calluna
05-10-2011, 12:44 AM
I'm not sure what to make of the past couple of days. I had more than I should have yesterday as my SO made us a feast for mother's day. At my request, though, it was pretty healthy food. Today was so-so. Lots of working out and had a super-busy/high-energy day at work today.

So, I think it is not super-exciting progress report for yesterday and today, but not dismal.

Blinky963
05-10-2011, 08:50 AM
I had a pretty high calorie day on Saturday. It was still within my limit, just not the kind of number you need to lose. Today is my official (self imposed) weekly weigh in and I'm down 2.4 pounds for the week. Trucking right along.

VermontMom
05-10-2011, 08:10 PM
I had a pretty high calorie day on Saturday. It was still withing my limit, just not the kind of number you need to lose. Today is my official (self imposed) weekly weigh in and I'm down 2.4 pounds for the week. Trucking right along.

whoa, that is great!!

I was gonna whine a bit and say that I am discouraged, but the truth is that I'm down 7 pounds from the day I committed here, and I am so glad of that. The thing is I'm not feeling 7 pounds less, nor are my jeans feeling looser, nor do I think my arms look less huge. I just have to keep on keep'n on, don't I.

Blinky963
05-11-2011, 11:57 AM
whoa, that is great!!

I was gonna whine a bit and say that I am discouraged, but the truth is that I'm down 7 pounds from the day I committed here, and I am so glad of that. The thing is I'm not feeling 7 pounds less, nor are my jeans feeling looser, nor do I think my arms look less huge. I just have to keep on keep'n on, don't I.

7 pounds is great! I feel you though. I'm down over 30 pounds since I recommitted in March and still wearing my stinking 20's. They are shamefully loose but the 18's are still a little to snug in the leg. I can stuff a butterball turkey in the waistband, but the stupid legs show my... let's call them "dimples".
All I can say is I'd rather be where I am than where I was going.

Blinky963
05-13-2011, 10:33 PM
I did it!!!
It took over 2 months but I finally fit well into my 18's!!!!!
Since recommitting; 34 pounds lost and finally down 1 size!!!!:carrot:
Not to mention- down to 201#...knocking on One-derland's door!

VermontMom
05-21-2011, 08:15 PM
I did it!!!
It took over 2 months but I finally fit well into my 18's!!!!!
Since recommitting; 34 pounds lost and finally down 1 size!!!!:carrot:
Not to mention- down to 201#...knocking on One-derland's door!

woohoo Blinky!! :carrot:

I had a busy work week last week...ate within reason, but did not work out at all for a week! that is a big no-no for me, I have always exercised at least 6 x's a week even if I was stuffing my face. Anyway...refocusing again! Got on the scale this morning and still at 155, sure wish I was less but thankful I'm not over that!

I have to pretend I just joined this thread and think of my commitment I had to get down 7 pounds :carrot: cause I really, really want to see 150 soon!

(and it took me THIS long to see that this is the 100 lb club and I am glad you let anyone in here :D )

VermontMom
05-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Down one more pound, now at 154 for a couple days now :carrot:

Blinky963
05-27-2011, 08:46 PM
Down one more pound, now at 154 for a couple days now :carrot:

Nice!! Good job!!

I've bumped my calories up to 1400-1450 the past 2 weeks. It slowed my weight loss a little but has curbed my cravings. Very high stress week with a great deal of sadness. Thank god for St John's wort- I'd be completely mental without it.
Lot's of temptation lately, or maybe the same old crap that has just been more tempting lately. I am getting much better at identifying my emotional triggers and stopping them before they turn into a backslide.
For the first time in many months I had to talk myself out of buying cigarettes. I worked too damn hard to quit- I can't let an emotional setback ruin that.
It's amazing to me how a bad situation can immediately make me want a cigarette and a fist full of checkout impulse candy bars. The urge was soo strong, but I am stronger than the kit kat!

VermontMom
06-01-2011, 05:31 AM
Blinky - I'm sorry for the sadness..and the stress.. but very glad you did not pick up a cig!! congrats on quitting, how long have you been smoke free? (28 years for me :carrot: )

I am down another pound or two :carrot: am marking it as just one down, I will see in a few days if it 'stick' and if so will adjust my ticker.

hang in there everyone!!

Blinky963
06-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Vermontmom, you are doing so good!:carrot: I also like to give it a few days to see if it sticks! I only count my weekly weigh in but I check in almost every day. It's part of my accountability plan. If I get detached from the plan I stray..

It's been almost a year since I quit smoking. :carrot: Like weight loss I have also quit smoking in the past (once for 3 years). I always felt like i would never go back, then something stupid would happen and I would believe all the excuses in my head.... Just one to get me through, we're celebrating, I'm sad... you know.
I have waged a war of sorts on my impulse control issues!:D

I have big plans for June! I have been back to my 1250-1300 calorie plan and am stepping up my activity. I even had a NSV yesterday. Normally when on the elliptical my feet hurt from the weird pressure point. yesterday I blew past my allotted countdown, past the 5 min cool down and when I looked down it was counting up overtime! Me, going overtime!! Really.

As far as my stress goes the problems are not resolved but I can not take them in anymore. It's stuff I can't really control (work crap, money, sick family member, more family stuff, etc..). I'm of no good use to anyone if I'm a chain smoking, overweight, depressed mess who can't stop crying. I just need to pull it together and focus on the solutions rather than the problems.:)