South Beach Diet - Soy light Vanilla Milk VS Skim Milk

Vking
04-04-2011, 07:19 AM
Ok everyone which one is better?

The soy vanilla light has less calories and less sugar than skim milk but more fat. Which one should I drink? Thanks

cottagebythesea
04-04-2011, 07:40 AM
I think it's a personal choice and go with the one you like best.

TallandThin
04-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Vicki, you know I have a similar question about sugar-free vs. fat-free. Am never quite sure which way to go but being a diabetic, I usually go with the sugar-free but that is just my gut and not based on anything.

CyndiM
04-04-2011, 07:06 PM
sugar free is more important, in fact fat free often means added starches and sugar, a problem on SBD. When they say light do they mean sugar free or lower fat or both?

zeffryn
04-04-2011, 07:16 PM
also, the type of sugar is pretty important. the regular milk (likely) doesn't have any added sugars, and the vanilla soy milk (unless it is unsweetened) likely does.

we drink coconut and almond milk in our house and the sweetened varieties are big craving causers for me, so we go with the unsweetened kinds. they offer unsweetened soy milk as well - i think even flavored.

bellaella
04-04-2011, 07:25 PM
wow! how i have brainwashed myself. I was always under the impression soy and skim were about the same!

what about almond milk? theres a thread on this forum about it! I have still yet to try it!

CyndiM
04-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Like many things the trick is to look for foods with no added sugars. I've found almond, hemp and soy milk all without added sugar. Unsweeteened Vanilla Almond Milk is my favorite but hemp is super rich and I like it for things that need a richer taste. I'm not a cow's milk fan and I'm always looking for added omega 3s.

Usernametaken
04-04-2011, 07:55 PM
I got sick of reading packages at the grocery store and started making my own almond milk. It's easy, and it means you are in total control of what goes in it. All you need is almonds, water, a blender, and some cheesecloth.

zeffryn
04-04-2011, 07:56 PM
hemp milk makes some FABULOUS smoothies and ice cream. I've replaced it cup for cup of heavy cream when making ice cream and it turns out wonderfully.

CyndiM
04-04-2011, 08:15 PM
hemp milk makes some FABULOUS smoothies and ice cream. I've replaced it cup for cup of heavy cream when making ice cream and it turns out wonderfully.

This is something I need to remember this summer. Now I just need weather warm enough to make ice cream

Vking
04-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Light Vanilla, Half-Gallon
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 cup (240mL)
Servings per container 8

Amount per Serving

Calories 70

Calories from Fat 15

% Daily Value*

Total Fat 1.5g 2%

Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.5g

Cholesterol 0mg 0%

Sodium 100mg 5%

Potassium 300mg 8%

Total Carbohydrates 7g 2%

Dietary Fiber 1g 4%

Sugars 5g

Protein 6g

Vitamin A 10%

Vitamin C 10%

Calcium 30%

Iron 6%

Vitamin D 30%

Riboflavin (B2) 30%

Folate 6%

Vitamin B12 50%

Magnesium 10%

Zinc 4%

Selenium 8%

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000-calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
Calories: 2,000 2,500

Total Fat less than 65g 80g
Saturated Fat less than 20g 25g
Cholesterol less than 300mg 300mg
Sodium less than 2,400mg 2,400mg
Potassium less than 3,500mg 3,500mg
Total Carbohydrates 300g 375g
Dietary Fiber 25g 30g

Calories per gram:
Fat 9 Carbohydrate 4 Protein 4
INGREDIENTS: All Natural Soymilk (Filtered Water, Soy Flour), All Natural Evaporated Cane Juice, Calcium Carbonate, Natural Flavors, Sea Salt, Carrageenan, Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Reb A (Natural Stevia Leaf Sweetener), Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D2, Riboflavin (B2), Vitamin B12.-

CyndiM
04-04-2011, 08:35 PM
Oops, sugar is the second ingredient. In this case go for the skim milk or look for an unsweetened almond or hemp (is there unsweetened soy? I don't drink it so don't know?).

Vking
04-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Even though the skim milk contains 12 g sugar as opposed to 5 g in the Soy

CyndiM
04-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Remember South Beach isn't low carb, it's good carb. The sugar in cow's milk is lactose not added sugar, so is okay.

shelflife
04-04-2011, 11:30 PM
Lactose won't cause a peak in your blood sugar in the way the carbohydrate in the cane juice (fancy word for sugar) in the soy milk will.

SBD may not be low carb, but it's very conscious of the glycemic index... and this case illustrates that nicely!

Mmckellen
04-05-2011, 06:27 AM
Yes to what everyone said. I have also heard (although I am not sure where) that it is not great to eat a lot of soy, especially processed soy products like soy milk. Maybe someone else can chime in with more info on this b/c I'd sure like to know myself.

I eat 1/2 cup of edamame most days, but it still makes me a little nervous given all I have heard about soy.

Vking
04-05-2011, 06:44 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice and input. I am sticking to skim milk!

CyndiM
04-05-2011, 06:57 AM
Yes to what everyone said. I have also heard (although I am not sure where) that it is not great to eat a lot of soy, especially processed soy products like soy milk. Maybe someone else can chime in with more info on this b/c I'd sure like to know myself..

The soy thing is pretty controversial and there's some mixed research and a whole lot of internet speculation and hyperbole. Based on everything I've read I limit my intake of processed soy in the form of soy isolate but don't worry at all about whole soy products like soy milk, tofu, tempeh and edamame. This is very much a decide for yourself thing though and take everything that isn't peer reviewed research with a very large grain of salt (and a gallon of water)

jewels2730
04-05-2011, 02:28 PM
I love Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk. I was a Vanilla soy milk drinker before South Beach and had a hard time adjusting to Unsweetened Vanilla Soy which was pretty much the only flavored, non sugar added soy milk. Even though it's unsweetened, it just didn't taste like anything. I'd add a drop or two of stevia to sweeten it which kind of defeated the purpose.

I'd really give Unsweetened Vanilla Almond a shot - it's really good! I use it in oatmeal, cereals, smoothies, and even drink it alone.

bellaella
04-05-2011, 08:30 PM
I love Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk. I was a Vanilla soy milk drinker before South Beach and had a hard time adjusting to Unsweetened Vanilla Soy which was pretty much the only flavored, non sugar added soy milk. Even though it's unsweetened, it just didn't taste like anything. I'd add a drop or two of stevia to sweeten it which kind of defeated the purpose.

I'd really give Unsweetened Vanilla Almond a shot - it's really good! I use it in oatmeal, cereals, smoothies, and even drink it alone.

do you drink Almond Breeze or is there another brand you would suggest?

jewels2730
04-06-2011, 03:36 PM
do you drink Almond Breeze or is there another brand you would suggest?

Yep! Almond Breeze by Blue Diamond is what I buy. I don't go through as much of it, so I like the size of the shelf stable containers. I can buy a few at once and keep them in the pantry. They also makes a version in the refrigerator section, just make sure and double check that it's unsweetened vanilla. Some places don't like to stock the unsweetened as much.

shelflife
04-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Whatever you buy, just make sure its fortified with calcium, vitamin D & vitamin A. I've managed to purchase unfortified almond milk mistakenly believing it had to be fortified by law.

My pick is Earthsown Almond Fresh (http://www.almond-fresh.com) in the refrigerator section.

bellaella
04-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Yep! Almond Breeze by Blue Diamond is what I buy. I don't go through as much of it, so I like the size of the shelf stable containers. I can buy a few at once and keep them in the pantry. They also makes a version in the refrigerator section, just make sure and double check that it's unsweetened vanilla. Some places don't like to stock the unsweetened as much.

thanks for the tip!! i will definitely check to make sure its unsweetened!