Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 04-02-2011, 07:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

Default How to wear leggings

I'm really talking about the slightly thicker (Totally opaque) footless ones. I've seen loads of people wear them, both with tunics and also with waist length tops. But I've also heard a lot of people say when wearing leggings, you need to wear a top that covers you bum and so on Personally I don't think it looks bad to wear a waist length top as long as the tights are 100% opaque and fit well.

I was wondering how people on here wear them? Or consider the most flattering way.

I quite like how they look, and I'm trying to break away from living in jeans so any suggestions would be nice.
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Around here the high school girls wear them with Uggs and North Face jackets, I wear them to yoga class.

I don't think you need to cover your bum if you don't want to.

Rock those leggings, girl!
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/tkr/195

Height: 5'9"

I think if you're going casual the covering the bum isn't a big deal... yoga, gym, grocery, errands... leggings and a tee can be super cute.
If you're dressing up a bit for work or going out, I think that a longer hip-length top is more appropriate. Doesn't have to be full-on thigh length, but at least to the hip... Just my two cents!
Jen516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

Height: 5'2"

Personally I don't care to see girls' butts jiggling all over the place in skintight pants outside of the gym - and I don't care for my husband to, either! We work on a college campus so I see a lot of the leggings-Uggs pairings. I vote you wear them only with clothes that would still be appropriate without them.

Last edited by ERHR; 04-03-2011 at 08:19 AM.
ERHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 162/154.0/115

Height: 5'4"

Gotta agree with ERHR, I am not a fan of leggings as pants. I feel like they're something to be worn under an article of clothing, just like tights/stockings/hose.
Dorian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:51 PM   #6  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

If they're opaque and quite dark -- black, deep charcoal, deep chocolate, navy -- then they will be more flattering on your exposed butt. Light colors are harder to pull off. For that, you need an @ss with absolutely no dimpling, orange peel texture or rolls or wrinkles. Basically, put that booty in Spanx.

The silhouette is meant to be narrow-legged with a wider upper body. The thing to watch is where the hem of the upper garment hits. If it stops at the widest part of you, it's like underlining your width & breadth at that particular point. That is another reason why people choose tunics, which tend to cut off lower on the thighs, rather than at the thicker part of their thighs or hips.

Another option, aside from a tunic, is a so-called "boyfriend jacket." That is, a longish squared off blazer. Roll the sleeves to your elbows. Belt it if you want.

But if you choose to wear a shorter top, be aware that if you bend over deeply cause you dropped something, and have to pick it up from the ground, don't be surprised if you leave the guys in your vicinity momentarily speechless. They generally have a pretty good imagination regarding what the hose outlines, opaque or not.

Last edited by saef; 04-02-2011 at 09:04 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

I think leggings are cute, and I don't think you need something to cover your booty if they're dark. Personally, if I think a person is 'jiggling all over the place', then I don't look. I don't see a ton of girls with booties jiggling about everywhere anyway. I think leggings can be in place of a pair of pants, but I would definitely have to lose a ton to wear them. I think they can be very classy if paired with the right accessories/top.

Last edited by fatferretfanatic; 04-02-2011 at 09:30 PM.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Thanks for all the replies!

I had a look about town where I found some leggings which are about 95% cotton and 5% elastane, which were totally opaque. I think I might buy a pair of these and will probably mix with tops which are neither overly short or long to begin with.

I thought they looked quite flattering on my legs, I'm quite bottom heavy (Hips/bum and thighs) but I've been putting some time into toning my legs so whilst they're still quite curvy, I have some muscle definition on my calves and thighs.

As much as I love jeans, it's so hard to find a flattering pair. I usually end up wrestling with them in the changing rooms or previously just buying jeans which were a bit too big/shapeless. It is refreshing to go into the changing room and have something seem to fit to my body shape.

I love the boyfriend jacket suggestion, I really like how it looks with the sleeves rolled up, especially the ones with nice lining.
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipity907 View Post
I'm really talking about the slightly thicker (Totally opaque) footless ones. I've seen loads of people wear them, both with tunics and also with waist length tops. But I've also heard a lot of people say when wearing leggings, you need to wear a top that covers you bum and so on
Yeah, I've always thought people who say that are ashamed of their bum and try to hide it (Which is silly, no matter its shape there are men who'll think its hot - trust me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipity907 View Post
Personally I don't think it looks bad to wear a waist length top as long as the tights are 100% opaque and fit well.
I totally agree with you. It looks fine. From a sex appeal point of view the women should have a separation around the waist, things which obscure or hide that has the opposite effect (which may be what some are going for of course)
Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #10  
Keto lady

S/C/G: 206/190/Under 140

Height: 5'5"

Hey girl, rock them as you see fit, but if you'd be embarrassed to run into your grandpa dressed as you are, I would reconsider.

This is my rule of thumb!!!
Txalupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I like to wear them with a longer shirt (mine are at least thigh length, but I like them to the hip) and high heeled boots, like this pic:

I wear my leggings and boots like the above, but not with that type of shirt (it's a bit young, but looks very cute).
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #12  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I wear them by themselves with a slightly longer top, and generally out of modesty not a super fitted top since the bottoms are already skin-tight. maybe a longer tank with a long cardigan, a long t-shirt type shirt with a scarf, etc. saef's suggestion of "boyfriend blazer" is a good one too!

I also use them instead of tights under skirts a lot of the time.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 215/210/165

Height: 5'11

I love leggings, I wear them all the time. Personally, I don't like the look of leggings with shorter tops. I wear them with at least slightly below hip level or longer. I have knee high or calf length boots that I wear with them. They are super easy and comfy too. I wear Yoga pants for doing errands as well. Jeans used to be my staple, but leggings are so much more comfy!

Last edited by Smashley; 04-04-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #14  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

I say wear them. There are going to be critics no matter what you wear or what size you are. You cannot please everybody and the only one that is the most important is yourself. Thats just my opinion, I'm not an expert on Fashion or anything! lol. And I think how Munchy suggested is cute.
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:33 PM   #15  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I never like how they look if the butt isn't covered. (I'm talking about on other people — I obviously couldn't wear them that way!) No matter how skinny the girl is, I feel like it's either unflattering or, if the girl has a really awesome body, draws a lot of attention to her butt.

But if you're comfortable in them, go for it!
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote