Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275-280/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 6.5"

Default I'm not sure if this counts..

Sometimes I feel like all I do is make up excuses but they feel like obstacles for me.Here's what I find to be my obstacles.
1. I'm currently working 2 jobs and they leave me so sore and tired I can't bring myself to go to the gym too.
2. I have a lot of back pain (sometimes to the point I can hardly stand), knee problems (there's a lot of damage to them), and it seems like the beating my ex put me through left lasting damage to me (my arms, wrists, chest and neck are all out of whack and I can't afford a doctor or chiropractor)
3. When I'm not hurting, I'm really depressed and don't want to get out of bed.

Am I just making excuses? Any tips on how to get my butt up and moving? Sorry if this post is stupid
ilidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 228/228/170

Height: 5'10

Concerning the tiredness, fatigue and depression, have you gotten your thyroid checked out? I was dealing with all three of those for a long time until my doctor found out the cause. It sounds like you are hard on cash, but most thyroid meds are very inexpensive once you get the doc visit out of the way
Gloriann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #3  

Someone else actually mentioned that to me a year or two ago..I'm wondering (and worried) you're right. I've been barely getting by but this new 2nd job might give me the money I need to actually see a doctor (I haven't seen one in like 8 years). What's involved to test my thyroid? Is it just like a blood draw?

Edit: Oh wow..I just looked up symptoms of thyroid problems and I have a ton of em...kind of blew my mind! I think I really need to see a doctor.

Last edited by ilidawn; 04-02-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #4  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

ilidawn, yes, see a doctor, get your thyroid checked for sure. Yes, just a physical exam and blood test should do. And find out about some community services too. If you are recovering from an abusive relationship, you are probably carrying around some emotional baggage too that can leave you depressed and anxious, and this can translate into real physical symptoms like soreness and tiredness etc. Would there be a free peer support group at a local women's shelter you could access? I am glad for you to be free of abuse and wish you well, and to be continuing your weight loss journey to be healthy in and out, is very inspirational.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #5  

Thanks, I don't see myself as any sort of inspirational though..more of a cautionary tale lol.

I made a couple calls today and I've decided I can't put it off any longer so I'm going to go in the morning sometime this week on a day I can get the okay to be late for work and I'm going to get my thyroid checked. This may sound weird but I really hope I do have a thyroid problem because if that's part of what keeps me from losing weight I want it taken care of. I'm so nervous though.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #6  
on a journey

(((((ilidawn))))) Hon, you can vent to us anytime about anything. You are no bother at all. I hope you get to feeling better.

Last edited by Lisa_C; 04-04-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Lisa_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:23 PM   #7  

Aww! Thank you! I really am so happy to have found this site because you're all so nice and I'm amazed how much just joining has already helped me. This is probably gonna be like a second home to me lol
Old 04-04-2011, 05:23 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

You may also want to get checked for blood sugar and insulin resistance, there's a lot of overlap of symptoms. When cost is an issue, bring it up with the doctor. Sometimes health departments and family planning clinics and walk-in clinics have discounted services and/or affordable payment plans.

I'd also ask your doctor when you see him/her about supplementing with a daily vitamin, folic acid, fish oil, and vitamin D (especially the vitamin D and folic acid - because they're super, super cheap, if you shop at Walmart or Walgreen, and look for the cheapest brand. Like less than $5 per month for both of them. Folic acid is like $3 for a two month supply, and I don't remember what I paid for my vitamin D, but it wasn't much more than that. Fish oil is the most expensive of the four, but at Walmart there's usually a two-for-barely-more-than-one package).

If your doctor approves of you trying supplements, ask about doses. My doctor has had me increase my fish oil and vitamin D doses, because they were helping so much - just make sure if you take fish oil that it's an Omega-3 fish oil and not fish liver oil (a vitamin A supplement). It's possible to overdose on vitamin A, whereas on fish oil (Omega-3) you'd have to take ridiculous amounts to have any problem.

I have a lot of health issues including fibromyalgia, spinal disk damage, arthritis, autoimmune disease, and borderline low thyroid (just barely above the level doctors want to medicate). I'm on a lot of medications, including pain medications and metformin for the insulin resistance, and the vitamin supplements have done as much as my prescription meds for relieving pain and fatigue. I was even able to stop taking several prescription meds in part because the supplements were so helpful.

I do recommend talking to a doctor about them (and the doses) though, especially if you're going to try to use them as medicines, because medicinal doses are sometimes higher than the bottle recommends, and should be done only under a doctor's direction and supervision.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #9  

Oh wow, I didn't even think of that. I'm gonna make up a list of everything I need to talk about with the doc (I feel kinda bad cuz I have a lot to discuss but I need to get things taken care of)
Old 04-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #10  

Update!

I went to get blood work done today. I should know if I have a thyroid problem in about a week. The clinic was free and the blood work only cost $16! Wow! If I knew it wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg I would've gotten tested long ago lol and they're fitting me in tomorrow to see if they can help with the pain too!
Old 04-09-2011, 10:23 AM   #11  
on a journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilidawn View Post
Update!

I went to get blood work done today. I should know if I have a thyroid problem in about a week. The clinic was free and the blood work only cost $16! Wow! If I knew it wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg I would've gotten tested long ago lol and they're fitting me in tomorrow to see if they can help with the pain too!
That is fantastic, hon. Please keep us updated.
Lisa_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:29 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

YAY you! Food and exercise aren't usually the problems by themselves. It sounds like you have your hands full. Hopefully you will find your way, in fact, I know you will. What we are right now is always a starting place, not the end destination.

I would suggest forgetting the gym for now. Take some walks, they're good for the body, the mind, the mood... and you can make them as long or short as you need based on your body and mood. Building the habit will pay off a lot longer than an all or nothing approach. If walking is out, just go outside and relax in some sunshine for a starting place. That alone is a mood booster, and free, and usually doable on a lunch break.

I am so grateful you are here with such a good supportive group this site always has, grateful you are one more free of abuse, and grateful you are starting down a better path.
Arkansas Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #13  

I got called today but they said my results were normal...the girl was in too much of a hurry and didn't know anything to answer any questions so I have to talk to someone later when I go for physical therapy (it's at the people's city mission). I really do think somethings wrong and why would thyroid problems match up better than anything else but they say my results were fine? Part of me doesn't believe them but that's probably stupid. What do you think I should do?
Old 04-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #14  

Went for physical therapy...complete waste of time he couldn't figure out what would help and now I hurt MORE and no pain killers or muscle relaxants. I asked for a copy of my results and didn't check the sheet til later because they were closing and it turns out they gave me a copy of someone's prescription refill...gah!! I'm so frustrated especially since my ex is a jerk too....just wanna shoot myself and get it all over with.