Carb Counters - Primal/Paleo for April 2011

View Full Version : Primal/Paleo for April 2011

souvenirdarling
04-02-2011, 01:05 PM
Just thought I'd start the April thread!

Arkansas Kel: I'm not doing a whole30 thing either. Not yet, anyway.

I've been giving some thought to my meat sources lately. I often eat canned fish,smoked fish, lean turkey cold cuts. I like sausages, though I check their cab content before buying. I love fried chicken hearts.

But how often do I actually fry up a piece of meat? I need to give that some thought because it's not daily...

So, yeah, it's dawned on me a lot of my 'meats' are not considered paleo or grok worthy. I have to plan better.

(I'm getting ready to do some grocery shopping tomorrow:) )

walking2lose
04-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Happy Saturday, and thank you God for SPRING BREAK!!!!!!! It is much needed!

Souvenir - Thanks for starting the April thread!!!

As far as meat goes, I eat venison (steaks, sausage, ground) that my dad and brother provide me. I'm very lucky to have a source of lean grassfed meat! We also eat a fair amount of grassfed ground beef from Trader Joe's (I normally buy 2-3 packs on each trip) and make burgers, taco salad, Asian wraps, etc. with it. We eat chicken (love my crockpot chicken) - whole organic free range chickens which I also buy at Trader Joe's, pork, bacon (nitrate free/uncured - looking for a local farm source but closest is an hour a way). And we eat seafood (scallops, shrimp, fish). I'm also very lucky that for several months of the year my brother supplies me with rockfish, cobia, and other local fishes (He's been named saltwater Angler of the Year for several years here in Tidewater).

I almost never eat lunchmeat, but occasionally I'll buy my husband the Applewoods grassfed beef (no preservatives) hotdogs from Trader Joe's and eat one or two. I consider that a special treat.

I eat a TON of eggs (also very fortunate that a friend from work supplies me with her fresh chicken and duck eggs).

I am very lucky to have such good sources of protein!

When I eat out, I eat good ole' cornfed beef, chicken, or whatever. We don't eat out a lot, so I feel ok with it.

If you have a Trader Joe's I recommend them for reasonable prices - can't beat their grassfed ground beef, and it's so versatile.

Have a wonderful day, ladies!

Ilene
04-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Thanks Souvenir to starting the April thread...

Claire, you do have great protein/meat resources :yes: lucky you! In this town there is nothing unless you want to pay 17$ for a 6oz uncooked steak, I have yet to find bacon nitrate free ... Oh well maybe some day...

It hasn't been a good Primal day, I had a muffin and a donut... but DH and I did go for a nice long walk today...

souvenirdarling
04-03-2011, 11:20 AM
I have just over 50$ to spend on groceries for the next week and a half or so if I'm going to stay on budget. I need to find a way to make this work, since I'd like to pay off some other things.

I'll be checking out a new grocery store today. Not so much better prices, but lookin' for that organic meat. I'm hoping that better meal planning will be more efficient :)

uscarchie
04-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Ilene, check out your local farmers market- hopefully they have one near you! Often-times you can get free range meat there.

So far, this doesn't seem too hard to do. It feels like it's working really well for me, but yesterday went for a long run and got really tired. That may be because I hadn't been on a long run for a few weeks. We'll see how I do this week.

Arkansas Kel
04-04-2011, 08:42 PM
I got one word: fail. I think it's time for some re-evaluation. :(

paleoforlupus
04-04-2011, 10:25 PM
So, I'm 4 weeks primal today and I have lost a total of 6" off of my body, I am feeling great! Absolutely no cheats and I'm finding it easy because this WOE leaves me so satiated. I ditched my scale as it's only moved down 7 pounds. I'm only going to weigh myself once a month but take measurements once per week.

Lupus symptoms are almost non-existent. Just a little stiff and sore around 10 pm at night but then gone by morning. I upped my vitamin D3 supplementation to 10,000IU/day and I feel like a new person. Really, I have more energy than I've had in years, I also feel happier?! I am on just 1 lupus med and haven't had to use steroids since beginning this WOE - I think my "moon face" is starting to diminish - FTW!!

Don't get too down Arkansas Kel! Just pick yourself up, dust off your shoes and start again tomorrow. I don't know how it is for you but after I avoided all carbs from grains and processed foods for 4 days, I stopped craving them pretty much altogether, which makes it relatively easier to say no on an everyday basis. 4 measly days, you can do it!

Arkansas Kel
04-04-2011, 10:58 PM
Warning: downer coming: To clarify my "fail"

I just don't feel like I am doing this even half right. I quickly backslide. Eating with everyone else at work and like everyone else seems to be a priority for me for some reason. It's not peer pressure - I feel deprived when I have my big salad and they're eating chicken strips, corn nuggets and pie. I know their diet is not the way to go, but I don't know how to fight this off.

To make matters worse I am a born eater (not kidding - it's on my chart from the hospital nursery). I never feel full, even if I've eaten enough to run over I want to keep eating. I have no "done" point.

I keep rotating through different diets with a long break between each. I find low fat diets to be miserable. Low carb is great, except the inconvenience after awhile. Nutrisystem was painfully slow (to the point I was scolded by my coach), too expensive, and not that palatable. Primal has been easy except I want the darned pie sometimes. WW worked slowly for me, but I got discouraged, and bored with the tallying points gimmick. I need a way to adapt primal maybe? But my current adaption is not working. It's me trying really hard to be good, then not beating myself up (seriously, I don't) when I have a little something off plan - once or twice a day. I looked at Jillian Michaels awhile back and vetoed it. Her low carb concept is sorta small in the book. I have the spark diet book, but I don't do well on low fat - oh you should see how much I can eat then.

I know this is a long rant, and maybe just some thinking "out loud."

Is there a primalish, whole foods, real food, not too high carb, doesn't eliminate real treats (not a sugar free popsicle for a treat - those folks need to get real). I want real food, not frankenfoods. I don't believe starchy processed foods are healthy. I don't think meat will kill me, but I'm not sure a cookie a day will either. Any suggestions? I like the flexibility of primal, but not the feeling that I'm not completely compliant, and thus not doing it right. Maybe it's time to develop the "Kelly Diet" like Oprah did - she planned her own. But like Oprah, I've gone diet to diet with mixed successes.

Any suggestions? My only idea right now is that my dr. wants to check my thyroid, but that will be on into my next cycle when my hormone check comes up. :( Maybe I'll get that test done early. It would make sense if that's my problem. I have a lot of hypothyroid symptoms.

I need some love, and advice.

Txalupa
04-05-2011, 08:56 AM
Hi Kel, I'm Belly Fat Cure but sometimes I lurk in primal/paleo threads for advice and stuff.

The Belly Fat Cure is lower carb (six servings of carbs a day, a serving being <20 grams) with a focus on whole grain/fiber in your carb servings. The other focus is to keep below 15 grams of sugar a day.

Check it out, there is a BFC thread in 'Other Reduced Carb Diets' and the book is very reasonably priced. Let me know if you have questions! It's a little less restricted than primal/paleo, but is centered around similar science. Good luck to you and congrats on your success so far!!!

Ilene
04-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Kel, you've got the love, no doubt there :hug:... I do Primal with a cookie/treat per day, I usually have wine or dark chocolate. When it comes to outings it is a challenge to say the least to not feel deprived, unfortunately :( ... You will feel deprived, IMHO, on any food plan :yes: ... I try to focus on the conversation and fun with people instead of the food. I literally force myself not to look or even smell it, it can be excruciating to say the least... Good luck :hugs: you can do this :yes:

Rana
04-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Why don't you calorie count, but follow the guidelines that work for you?

I'm reading this thread, I eat close to paleo, but I'm not ready to declare myself "paleo/primal" because I think it's too much pressure to eat that way in this day and age.

So, I count calories, but I keep to whole foods as much as possible and if I eat brown rice or caramel popcorn, I don't beat myself up! I just simply add it to my calorie tracker and keep track of my carb/protein/fat ratios. I try to be have fat/protein always be higher than carb (45% or less).

Beating yourself up over eating a cookie is probably just setting yourself up to feel bad about everything. Eating a cookie is not the end of the world.

The bottom line with any WOE is how it makes you FEEL. Are you losing weight? Are you healthier? Do you have more energy? Do you feel good about what you're doing?

If eating primal/paleo 75% of the time makes you feel that way, then don't worry about the remaining 25%.

paleoforlupus
04-05-2011, 10:32 AM
@Arkansas Kel - I totally understand your frustration but you need to try to let the guilt go, it only adds undue stress which in turn, keeps the weight on. We're all human and it's really hard to find a balance - but you will, you're a trooper. I was listening to a Robb Wolf podcast yesterday and it sounds like you would be a great candidate for taking it slow. Start with a week of just primal/paleo breakfasts (i.e. eat up your bacon and eggs!). Then the next week, eat primal/paleo breakfasts and lunches. See how you feel - I bet you'll feel better, which will motivate you further. Then on the 3rd week, make all 3 meals paleo/primal. Don't forget though, if you don't feel hungry for a meal (guarantee this will happen), don't eat it. Make a conscience decision to do this for 3 weeks, be prepared and make your lunches the night before. Throw meat in a crockpot and supper is ready when you get home. If you stay primal throughout the day, you can still have that cookie (but you probably won't want it) and still stay under 100g of carbs a day.

Read or reread Robb Wolf's Paleo diet, Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint or Loren Cordain's book for a little inspiration and reeducation.

You can tell by your posts how desparately you want to succeed and you'll get there, baby steps, but you will.

You can't have your cake and eat it too but you could possibly have a cookie!

Robyn

uscarchie
04-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Kel, what struck me about your fail is this line: To make matters worse I am a born eater (not kidding - it's on my chart from the hospital nursery). I never feel full, even if I've eaten enough to run over I want to keep eating. I have no "done" point.

This is a big problem for me. I'd eat until I'm stuffed and feeling sick if I could. Trying to recognize the "enough" point is still something I struggle with. Perhaps try slowing down, and thinking about each bite of food you're eating. Add more fats into your diet to increase the saity feeling?

And screw salads. Salads are great and fine but you can go way overboard and eat way too many of them, in my book. So what if those people are eating something scrumptious looking. YOU make something for lunch that would be EVEN better. Like.... coconut shrimp and a pile of steamed veggies. Or, leftover steak and a sweet potato. Or... what about a curry you make with coconut milk, red curry paste, salt (makes the curry flavor good), chicken, veggies over cauliflower rice.

I've got a few recipe books- PM me if you want 'em. :)

Arkansas Kel
04-06-2011, 12:49 AM
Thanks for all the support. I'm still not flowing in a direction I like, but I know I got folks rooting for me! I read every response, and am considering some of the advice. I don't want to calorie count - it leads to obsession for me which in the end, the obsessing always leads to the undoing of it. I need to find some sort of balance, that's not open for over analyzing everything, that allows some room. I'm good without bread, rice, pasta etc. I watched my BFF eat a brownie pudding gaggie thing after lunch today and was unaffected, but I desperately wanted the chicken strips and had them. And I didn't really feel guilty. I took a day off on the plan. BTW I eat salads because they are the often the only acceptable choice when I'm out or in the cafeteria. Our cafeteria has a decent salad bar and nice little fruit boxes - often with cheese cubes or cottage cheese in them. I just get tired of the ice berg salad with ranch freakin' dressing choices while those around me get to eat the chicken fried steak monstrosity or the mega burger crap.

I'm leaning towards a hybrid plan, like a low carb primal with some built in "treat" times so I don't get the deprivation mindset going. Primal is easy, I can't argue that, I just sometimes want what I want - I'm an only child, what can I say.... And it's time to work in some moving. I'll think on that too. I'm in an evaluation stage. I appreciate your support and input.

Also, today, I had a basic TSH blood test- it came back low normal - which actually means I lean towards hyperthyroid. That's nuts. Then I read that if you have hypo symptoms, then the TSH may not be that accurate and you have to have a free T4 also - well, it's set up to be done in a few weeks when I have official lab work. It should tell more. Dang, I should be a hyperactive, undereating person based on todays labs. Whatever. I would think they mixed up my results, except I personally know who did it for me. It's mine. I'll wait for further evaluation on it.

TexArk
04-06-2011, 08:28 AM
Arkansas Kel,
You can work through this. I have moved from all sorts of failed approaches. I started calorie counting in October, then moved to restricted carbs in January, and have been working at primal seriously for a month. I also live in Arkansas, by the way. My favorite website is Kurt Harris at PaNu....lots of good wisdom and science. There is lots of confusion amongst the paleo crowd. He cuts through it.

souvenirdarling
04-06-2011, 11:24 AM
I'm so sorry to read you're having such a difficult time, Arkansas Kel.

A hybrid plan sounds like a great idea for you.Do what you need to do, what makes you feel good :) It's the only way that we can succeed and stick to it.

I've read some recent posters writing about how they do low/zero carbs 5 days per week, have a 'regular day', and then IF until the next days dinner. There are lots of mixed plans out there :)

Arkansas Kel
04-06-2011, 10:27 PM
Well, I think I've determined fatigue is a major issue for me, and possibly my downfall on many things. I've had this for awhile. So I'm making that my next goal instead of food, with one exception. This may not make sense to some. I've realized I know when I'm hungry without fail, but don't know when I'm full. Or maybe just never feel full enough to stop eating. So, I'm trying to pay attention to my actual hunger when I start to eat, and gauge what that might mean I should eat. I know the old eat until full theory, but that just doesn't work for me. I'll let u know. I can say my eating quantity was way down today. Breakfast: same old primal stuff. Lunch: Cafeteria "water" burger (burger they steam and keep hot in water) on bun (no sides like I usually would), pickles, cheese, a little ketchup. Supper I nibbled on black olives while cooking because I was HUNGRY. Then got it done, and was not as hungry so I ate a few bites pasta. And stopped. Maybe intuitive is a good direction for me.

Arkansas Kel
04-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Fatigue goal no 1 - get outside. I guess that's primal, just not culinary? We've just bought a piece of land in the country that needs lotsa work. We've decided we'll start going out each day for a bit to work on it. Primal? sure. We went out to walk around on it today to see where to start, so I've gotten in my sunshine already for today and a little exercise.

Foodwise I've been heavily primal with the exception of 6 tortilla chips, 1 piece of cake (wasn't worth it sadly), and about 1c macaroni. I wish I hadn't eaten the cake. I wasn't hungry and it wasn't good. Otherwise, my portions have shrank using the "how hungry am I" self talk.

Ilene
04-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Way to go Kel, you'll beat this I'm sure....

Life is boring here but stressful in different ways, it's weird, sorry it's just to complicated to talk about...

Today was primal except for maybe 6 wheat crackers that once I ate I thought "why, am I eating them?" so I stop, like you Kel intuitive? And knowing that grains and processed foods are just not good for us...

I'm also coming down with something but I went to the gym anyways tonight, I feel good about that :D

Later gang :wave:

Arkansas Kel
04-08-2011, 05:41 PM
Didn't eat quite primal today, but still much healthier than I would have before I started down this path. Off plan - a bun, some breading, about a cup macaroni. Still less than most folks eat.

I've decided to start a food diary to look for food probs with my fatigue. Will start that tomorrow. You document what you ate, how you feel - mood, pain, energy... whatever you notice or think of. And look for trends. I think it will be interesting.

I'm also going to start having a SET bedtime. PERIOD. In a few days I'll tackle another mini goal. At some point this has got to give. I could take a nap now. Of course, I just started my staycation today. But a nap will interfere with my bedtime plan. phoo.

Ilene, looks like it's just you and me! Hope you feel better soon.

walking2lose
04-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Aww... Kel and Ilene - sorry to hear you are both having stress - different kind but crappy nonetheless! HUGS!

I planned to start whole30 Wed after returning from mountains but have decided to finish up the HWC and parmesan cheese in fridge first. Makes sense to start Monday, so Monday it is.

Will write more later. Glad to be back!!!!

Hang in there everyone!

walking2lose
04-08-2011, 10:48 PM
And, Kel - I SO desperately need to work on the the bedtime/sleep/fatigue thing.

Shall we start a thread for sleep goals or just post here?

deetermined2
04-09-2011, 09:33 AM
Hi, Arkansas Kel,

I know you can find something that works for you.

There is a diet out there where the only thing you have to do is have an 8 ounce glass of water 15 -30 minutes before each meal and snack. This causes people to feel full faster, and therefore they usually consume fewer calories. Another recommends drinking 3-5 cups of green tea each day. This works somewhat the same way but with the added benefit of green tea's fat burning power. These may help take the edge off your appetite a little.

I find eating enough protein and fat along with my carbs keeps my blood sugar steadier, which leads to fewer cravings.

In regard to feeling deprived when other people are eating differently, I know that feeling all too well. I am wheat intolerant, and thus shouldn't eat any of that stuff. But for awhile, that didn't stop me from having a little, even if I knew that I would probably regret it. I would hope that maybe my body would be able to tolerate it this time. But...that never happened. I've reached the point that "it is what it is". I have to eat differently, and I know I feel better for it.

I've found things that I can have that make me feel less deprived. Having these around, even if I don't have them all the time, make all the difference in the world. I've found some very decadent dark chocolate that I try to keep in the house. Other treats include Fage full fat yogurt with berries or Omega Swirls and a dab of whipped cream. Or Jay Robb's protein powder made into an ice cream.

Arkansas Kel
04-09-2011, 11:19 AM
OK, PRIMAL ICECREAM???? Do tell? I need that this summer....

Fatigue? I think it deserves it's own forum. I went to bed at 10:07 last night, couldn't go to sleep - not sure why as that isn't my usual problem. Slept until 947. Feeling rested. ??? So I need about 11 1/2 hrs sleep? Surely not. I will search to see if anybody else has a fatigue chat going and get back to ya'll. I bet it is a widespread problem.

Today, didn't eat primal (at least so far) but am going to be physicall primal. We're going out to work on our little slice of country land - it's got lots junk and cleaning up to do. :) Will try to eat primal the rest of the day.

Arkansas Kel
04-09-2011, 11:41 AM
OK, I started a thread under dieting with obstacles. Seemed appropriate. I don't think I'm ready to give up primal completely yet, so I'm going to stick around and when I can find my gumption again, maybe do a crack down on my eating again. I believe in it, I just think I have more than a food problem.

souvenirdarling
04-10-2011, 10:40 AM
You can do it, Kel, whatever "it" ends up being. The sleep and fatigue work will make a huge difference in your life, I think. I eat mindlessly and rave sugar for energy when I'm tired. These days, I actually just get sick when I'm tired. (I really think it's the combo with biting of fingernails when anxious.) So, I have been sleeping a lot lately, trying to ward of sickness. I've not been getting much done 'round here.

Enjoy clearing the land! It must be so satisfying - both doing it, seeing it done, and enjoying it after :D

@Ilene, I noticed at my IGA grocery store that Schneider company has released a nitrite free bacon. The brand is named "country natural" or something. It's around $6 for 375g. It's the first I've ever seen.

Arkansas Kel
04-10-2011, 11:57 PM
Phooey. Didn't work on fatigue properly or diet properly today. Did shop my booty off with my couponing pal. Saved about 50% and brought in a load, 99% primal on the chow. :) If it ain't here I can't eat it easily right?

souvenirdarling
04-11-2011, 07:24 AM
If it ain't here I can't eat it easily right?

That's what I count on! :)

paleoforlupus
04-11-2011, 09:52 AM
I've been 5 weeks paleo and I'm feeling terrific!! Visited my Rheumatologist on Friday and got the go ahead to titrate down on my last lupus med. I'm now on half the dose so I should be med free in a few months!! I have been in a flare for 3 years and in just 5 weeks this WOE has almost brought me back into remission. It's just so unbelievable to me that I wouldn't accept it, if it wasn't happening to me!!

Do whatever you have to do to make this WOE your WOL, after vegetarianism, veganism and everything in between, this is truely the most healing "diet" I've ever been on. So optimistic moving forward!!

Arkansas Kel
04-11-2011, 12:33 PM
paleoforlupus: WOWZERS!! That GROKS!!! I'm all about lifestyle changes over medication. I AM impressed with that. Congrats TO YOU!

Me, so far so good today. Eggs, ham, apple, coffee down. Didn't do much to help my fatigue efforts. It seems as soon as I set a goal, within minutes of my declaration the karma starts to work against it. But not giving up. I'm continuing in my primal tilt, and my pursuit of defeating this nearly constant fatigue. ;) I'm on it.

walking2lose
04-11-2011, 06:22 PM
I've been 5 weeks paleo and I'm feeling terrific!! Visited my Rheumatologist on Friday and got the go ahead to titrate down on my last lupus med. I'm now on half the dose so I should be med free in a few months!! I have been in a flare for 3 years and in just 5 weeks this WOE has almost brought me back into remission. It's just so unbelievable to me that I wouldn't accept it, if it wasn't happening to me!!

Do whatever you have to do to make this WOE your WOL, after vegetarianism, veganism and everything in between, this is truely the most healing "diet" I've ever been on. So optimistic moving forward!!

Paleo, that is SUCH WONDERFUL news!!! I am so happy to hear of your success --- certainly makes passing on the grains worth it! I think one day this WOL will be a standard "prescription" for anyone with autoimmune tendencies or illnesses. Awesome!

Violet73
04-12-2011, 07:48 AM
Hey all :) I hope I can join you guys! I'm learning about paleo and have more reading to do but it fits into what I'm about to embark on anyway. I'm already gluten free and going dairy free now. I like to stay low carb but don't have to be in ketosis so fruits are good. I also have inflammatory arthritis which may be rheumatoid arthritis (seronegative) or some connective tissue disease and possibly early lupus...they just really don't know... and just by going G-free it has gotten much better and I know I will be even better once I eat even more clean and avoid other processed foods. I can so relate to you Paleo on how much better you feel since eating this way. Yay for you for lowering your meds! I was on prednisone daily for a while and gained so much weight :/ I also took methotrexate which was horrible! Now I don't take meds for the inflammatory arthritis as going G-free has helped me a lot . I'm gonna check around here for Paleo diet plans and other sites too. I know I will have the occasional coke zero and other things not on plan but I hope to stick to it pretty strict for the most part.

Arkansas Kel
04-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Welcome leslie. Good to have another friend on our friendly little site. We're all paleo, but on varying paths with it, so your plan will be fine.

Today: Short story: Excellent, perfect, fair, then slid a bit too far with the food, going to try a strawberry chicken spinach salad from Rachel Ray for supper (yummo?). Fatigue: Feeling fine, slept until I was ready to get up. :)

souvenirdarling
04-12-2011, 09:23 PM
Welcome, LeslieLou! Apparently eating paleo is supposed to really limit inflammation.

PaleoForLupus: I am so. glad. to hear this. So motivating and inspiring, too.

I have buckled down and begun reading Primal Blueprint. It's nice to have in book form, though I've gleaned a lot of it for the site.

I'm trying to think about how I'm going to leave it around for my BF to pick up. If I point it out he'll probably get curious eventually...

Violet73
04-13-2011, 07:42 AM
Welcome leslie. Good to have another friend on our friendly little site. We're all paleo, but on varying paths with it, so your plan will be fine.

Today: Short story: Excellent, perfect, fair, then slid a bit too far with the food, going to try a strawberry chicken spinach salad from Rachel Ray for supper (yummo?). Fatigue: Feeling fine, slept until I was ready to get up. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome :) I'm from Arkansas too :) Do you mind sharing the ingredients of your salad? I'm going grocery shopping tonight and need some ideas!

Welcome, LeslieLou! Apparently eating paleo is supposed to really limit inflammation.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I know cutting out gluten has helped me A LOT with inflammation but I think this WOE is gonna be even better, with no dairy :)

Arkansas Kel
04-13-2011, 10:35 AM
Leslie: I ended up not making the salad - didn't have a strawberry sale going on and I've become quite a cheapskate. However, will post the ingredients in the recipe forum. It's untried, but I don't think it could taste bad.

darling: I love the primal blueprint stuff. I've not bought his book, but did buy the cookbook ebook. I've gotten many ideas from it, although I'm not ready to tackle ofal. Ick factor too high for me.

Today: I'm about to eat ham, apple, coffee. I always start strong. Later I start to slide. Today I will not slide down the slope. One bite does not have to lead to the whole thing.

***Know what's funny! I said I didn't have the primal blueprint book, but I do! I've lost my mind. I've read it in randomly, and found it sort of repetitive but informative. LOL. I've lost my mind.***

Violet73
04-13-2011, 07:12 PM
Thanks Kel! I will look for the recipe forum. I'm off to the grocery store to get stocked up on some paleo foods. It's not much different than what I've been doing with LC but this cupboard is bare lol

walking2lose
04-13-2011, 07:53 PM
Hi girls - welcome Leslie!

I'm a little disappointed in myself for not managing whole30, but I am still eating dairy and having yet another very stressful week at work. I am truly thinking I need to get out of teaching or at least think about leaving the school where I've taught for 15 years. Argh. It's just so bad for my health to work SO much and have so much daily stress.

Anyway, hope all of you are having a great primal/paleo week. I'm making a point to go to bed early tonight! So, I'm out.

Violet73
04-14-2011, 07:32 AM
Hi girls - welcome Leslie!

I'm a little disappointed in myself for not managing whole30, but I am still eating dairy and having yet another very stressful week at work. I am truly thinking I need to get out of teaching or at least think about leaving the school where I've taught for 15 years. Argh. It's just so bad for my health to work SO much and have so much daily stress.

Anyway, hope all of you are having a great primal/paleo week. I'm making a point to go to bed early tonight! So, I'm out.

:hug: claire I know how stressful a job can be. I was an office nurse for 13 years and decided I didn't want the stress in my life anymore and made a job change to medical transcription. It wasn't a huge job change but it took me out of that stressful environment. Med. transcription is a dying field and I find myself probably looking for another field altogether and analyzing myself in a way that I haven't in a while. I wanna do something that I love and not something just to pay the bills. Sometimes we stay at a job because we are comfortable there because we have been there so long even though it's highly stressful to stay. If it's bad for your health to stay there then don't. Make that change lady and move forward :)

uscarchie
04-14-2011, 11:33 AM
Claire, no worries. The way I see it, the Whole 30 is part elimination diet- if you know that the dairy doesn't affect you negatively, then you shouldn't need to give it up. For me- I've never given up dairy, glutens, or corn... and I have a strong suspicion that corn is making me feel bad. I know i have skin reactions to it.

And I'm still not 100% sure I've avoided corn completely- who knows what my "free range" and "organic" chicken have been eating? I'm sure they're not 100% corn free. And my "grass fed" beef could also have been fed corn. I guess maybe the only way to know 100% that I'm not eating corn indirectly would be to eat solely buffalo. They can't digest it, so no one tries to feed it to them. :)

Okay, sharing here: NSV! I fit into my skinny jeans! WOOOO!

Arkansas Kel
04-14-2011, 12:29 PM
uscarchie: WOW! skinny jeans. Now that's sumpin. That's reason to celebrate - get yourself a second pair and strut your stuff!

Claire: it's proven that stress can derail your diet. If you managed a stress load and to do whole 30 halfway I would call it a success. Besides, whole 30 can have different meanings to different people. I did it, and only managed it halfway but came out of it feeling changed in habits and preferences. It's whole 30 not perfect 30. Maybe time for a change in jobs or a change in how you do this one. I don't wanna judge because I'm not in your shoes, but maybe there are things that could be done differently where you are? Ask your close friends what they see - I know I have one that can be painfully honest if I ask her.

Today is all good. I experimented yesterday with sparkpeople's food tracker because I'm used to it. I was within calorie/carb constraints right up until late last night. Then I had a popcorn binge. AAAAAAND blew it. :( I'm considering instead of fighting myself in the evenings, maybe I should start the day lighter to leave more room for those afternoon/early evening attacks? Maybe it's just the fatigue? Maybe it's that my husband wanted popcorn and made some and it smelled so freakin' good I wanted it. He's such an evil person (NOT Really).

Today. On track, but as usual, it's still morning. :)

Arkansas Kel
04-15-2011, 01:52 PM
OK, well, back to talking to myself. That's ok, it's still good therapy for me. Anyway, energetic today, and all I did was sleep late. Couldn't sleep last night for that noisy windy storm that blew over - no damage for us, Thank God! There were several deaths from this storm, and all I got was a chair blown around my back yard. After it settled, I slept like a baby. And slept. And slept. I think I'm just such a natural night person, it might me my fatigue issue. I've not acclimated to being a day person yet. Maybe?

Last night we hit our friends house for BBQ - they are mostly LC eaters so it was all good. I ate 2 steaks. OMG 2 steaks. Was so good. Plus onions/peppers, sweet potato with butter, grilled cabbage with butter (Oh so good), diet coke. There was an optional sugared up dessert, but we passed on it. :) Heck, I had an extra steak, so I guess I had steak for dessert. I'm good with that.

Today's munchies: hot tea, coconut milk, stevia/splenda mixed and am expecting a subway salad any moment from the Mr. Tonight - maybe trying that strawberry spinach salad if he wants to run to the store today.

It's a sunny, cool day. I'm still on vaca. We survived the storm intact. I feel good. To quote Jake: Life is Good.

ladynredd
04-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Well, it wouldn't do to have you thinking you're talking to yourself. I've actually been lurking for a few days and reading last month's posts but have kept silent so far.

I am not yet following this WOE, guess you could say I'm trying to figure out just what it is I actually want to do. I've been morbidly obese for a long time, not terribly interested in making the changes necessary to bring about a permanent change, but lately I've been experiencing a lot of what I would call arthritis pain in my left shoulder and particularly my left elbow, particularly troubling as I write on a steno machine to earn my living and it's quite the downer to be in pain all the time. And one of the things that really caught my eye was some people talking about how this WOE is very helpful in dealing with inflamatory diseases, which is what arthritis basically is, to my way of thinking ...

Left to my own devices I'm a huge carb lover. Never met a bread or pasta I didn't like. I tried cutting out all breads and white potatoes and did notice some weight loss, less bloating, etc., but cravings were still there and I fall back into the old trap of gradually increasing portion sizes until I'm out of control again. I did a stint with Overeaters Anonymous many (many!) years ago and remember that once getting past the first couple of weeks it was actually easier not to eat those "red light" foods at all, than to try to eat just a little. I'm wondering if perhaps that would be a good path for me to try to follow ...

My husband is also very overweight and interested in losing ... the good thing about him is that he will basically eat whatever I put in front of him, but that's also the bad thing, you know? I know if I'm watching what I fix and what I eat, he loses weight too. If I'm in "I don't give a damn" mode then he gains weight right along with me. He is also VERY addicted to diet sodas and not ready to give them up. He drinks lots of water too, actually more than I do, but at mealtime he wants his soda! So that has to be allowed on whatever plan we adopt. Neither of us consume alcohol so that's one thing we don't have to deal with.

Any suggestions any of you have with regard to books or websites would be gratefully accepted. I've discovered "Nom Nom Paleo" and I've found a couple recipes I want to try, going to the store today to get the ingredients to make that possible.

So ... I guess what I'm saying is that I'm going to join your merry band ... I think.

walking2lose
04-16-2011, 11:12 AM
Claire, no worries. The way I see it, the Whole 30 is part elimination diet- if you know that the dairy doesn't affect you negatively, then you shouldn't need to give it up. For me- I've never given up dairy, glutens, or corn... and I have a strong suspicion that corn is making me feel bad. I know i have skin reactions to it.

Okay, sharing here: NSV! I fit into my skinny jeans! WOOOO!

Congrats -- what a GRRREATTT! NSV!

Welcome to Lady!

The thing with dairy for me is partly weight loss related -- when I did my Jan Whole30 my only two changes were eliminating dairy/HWC/grassfed butter (was not drinking milk anyway) and eliminating alcohol. I dropped 4 lbs. effortlessly. I'm wanting to shed a few more pounds, and that was one reason for my whole30. I am still planning to do it - just because I LIKED doing it and felt healthy and dropped some weight, but I just have to get through this rough patch at work.

Thanks to all for your supportive work comments - work stress is most definitely affecting my sleep and my health, and that ain't good!! I'm a good teacher (yes, I do inflict a lot of pressure on myself, but to teach and not do a good job seems reprehensible to me), and I don't think my principal wants to lose me. At my end of the year meeting with him, I plan to tell him I cannot sustain the current expectations - 2 planning periods a week with multiple preps is simply grueling. We are expected to do more and more with less and less, and I have hit the wall this year. I appreciate everyone listening to me vent... just trying to figure out my next step in life. I love teaching, but I can not sacrifice my health any more.

I am suspecting I have some serious adrenal fatigue going on but don't know what to do about it (I've been reading lots, but it seems to be such a nebulous thing ... and getting a doc to run the proper tests is a battle in itself....). Anyway, on that note (stress, lack of sleep, and not feeling well all week), exercise has been a mere two 30 min walks this week, sleep not great, and food ... eh, so-so. I have lots of fresh veg in the fridge but no energy to cook them.

So, I'm going to try to recharge this weekend and focus on good food and rest.

Ladies - have a fabulously primal/paleo weekend! Glad to have everyone hear to listen and encourage. Happy Saturday!! :carrot:

walking2lose
04-16-2011, 11:14 AM
Any suggestions any of you have with regard to books or websites would be gratefully accepted. I've discovered "Nom Nom Paleo" and I've found a couple recipes I want to try, going to the store today to get the ingredients to make that possible.

So ... I guess what I'm saying is that I'm going to join your merry band ... I think.

And we are glad to have you!!!

Click on the link in my sig. There are many great sites linked there and some discussion of books too. You will find lots of informative reading and recipes there!

Sskar
04-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Hi ladynredd,
If you want to go heavy duty Paleo, Google "Robb Wolf" - he has many free pod casts on his blog.
Some folks are less strict, more "Primarian" and do allow some dairy. Dr. Barbara Berkely has a web page and Facebook site with info and a great book. http://www.refusetoregain.com/
Gary Taubes has the most scientific evidence to back up a no sugar/starch/grains life style. Very motivating. His book is readable and provides an easy blueprint for eating.

For all, Taubes has an article in the NYTimes "Is Sugar Toxic?". http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magazine/mag-17Sugar-t.html?src=me&ref=homepage Although the Times is a paid site, you can still access 20 articles a month free.

paleoforlupus
04-16-2011, 04:14 PM
Welcome Ladyinred,

Take a look at my blog, I've listed several great references that may help you decide if a paleo, primal or neither WOE is for you. I recommend Cordain, Sisson, De Vany and Wolf for the "how to's" and Taubes for the "why's". You can probably find all of these books at the library as well.

I have lupus and rheumatoid arthritis and paleo has completely changed my life. Like you, I was a carb fanatic (I was vegan, so everything a ate included carbs) but this WOE keeps you so satiated, after a few weeks you won't miss them. Don't get me wrong, you still have to want to change your life, it's not just going to happen but if you don't want to count calories, eat until you feel full, indulge in all the stuff you've ever been told was bad (I have bacon and eggs fried in bacon fat every morning for breaky), this may be for you. Sure you have to give up grains and sugar but there is so much great stuff to replace it including being pain-free everyday, more energetic and getting slimmer!

I hope you at least try this WOE - give it 30 days, you won't regret it!

geoblewis
04-16-2011, 04:44 PM
I'm just hearing about the Paleo stuff...will be going on a retreat next month where it will be one of the topics of discussion. I think I'm slowly inching my way into this way of eating quite naturally, since I chose to quit processed foods due to food sensitivities.

Will be lurking here a lot more to learn more from you all.

souvenirdarling
04-17-2011, 07:51 AM
Hello folks!

I had a really off Friday - it involved a girls' night :) I could have been a lot more prepared and could have chosen a better meal for myself. It was a nice resto, we'll go again and I'll do a better job.

And then, yesterday, was the first day I never felt hungry. Like, I could have fasted and been fine. I didn't - I ate small meals, much less than usually - I'm still in the meal habit, still in the fear of gettin' the shakes.
(If I'd have been at home, I probably would have tested IFing, but since I was at work I didn't want to risk.)

It was interesting!

Geob: Enjoy the lurking! and wlcome!

Ilene
04-17-2011, 12:45 PM
:welcome: geog :wave:

Souvenir, I used to get the shakes a LOT when I was eating the old way or when I eat too many carbs - which I have been lately :rolleyes: - BUT when I am totally on track - which I will start tomorrow *promise* -- I never get the shakes :nono: -- you probably could have fasted but I don't blame you for not experimenting at work...

Oh, yeah, I am totally offffff course, this morning I also started on the wrong foot... Tonight we are having asparagus, cabbage and salmon for supper :hun: so that is good for moi! I'll probably make rice for the others though, but I don't miss rice as much as I thought I would ...

souvenirdarling
04-18-2011, 06:56 PM
Ber, just ate a load of junk and feeling irritated at myself because I knew better :) Sigh. Now I am all bloated and gassy.

Oh well! Thank goodness for tea!

Arkansas Kel
04-18-2011, 11:30 PM
OK, everyone follow me. We're jumping back on the wagon. Ready,...... Set..... Hey, who moved the wagon!

I've been off again. But I find I'm more on than off when I look at my track record. And I've tested my calories/carbs by plugging into sparkpeople. I'm eating naturally between 1200-18oo calories and 100 - 125 carbs. So I decided to whittle the carbs back more. Then today, I didn't. Tomorrow's another day. Today I had a surprise of candy from my boss, then a surprise that I was working late (not related to the candy), and I wasn't prepared food wise to stay that late. I did what was asked, developed a hypoglycemic attack, and ended up eating pure crap. Tomorrow's another day right? right.

souvenirdarling
04-19-2011, 09:18 AM
Arkansas Kel, I agree, today is a new day :)

I made some pretty delicious pâté yesterday with bacon, chicken liver and tons of garlic. I'm a but surprised to like the liver, but then i usually like packaged meat spreads. I had it on a salad for breakfast. I'd like to experiment more with organ meats because they're so inexpensive.

So it's been a month since I started eating primally. I've decided to stick to it, not because the weight loss has been especially significant, but because of the food enjoyment/satisfaction and weight maintenance factor.

Does anyone have any recommendations for successful weight loss on this way of eating? Things that work for them?

I know I need to be more consistent about my carb intake and need to consider fitting in IF. My exercise has been acceptable but I haven't been sprinting. I haven't been tracking any calories.

Arkansas Kel
04-19-2011, 06:44 PM
HA, was defeated by Easter candy today. Defeated is not a strong enough description. Mauled would be more like it. (Picture peeps with claws and teeth, flinging jelly beans at you like hand grenades.... Bunnies with their delicacy chocolate ears stacking hershey bar forts) You know it could happen!

Anyway, was left alone a long time at work today, got bored, ate a ton of candy. Why did I have that in my office? Cause it was a nice gift from a nice boss. She really is, but the gift, nice as it seems, mauled me. Again, tomorrow's another day. :(

uscarchie
04-20-2011, 12:28 AM
Hahaha, I love that mental image! Next time, strike back!

Arkansas Kel
04-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Somewhat better day as far as the sweets goes, but not a grain free day which is one of my actual goals. It was meetings all day - no kididng. Get my normal required job done 8-11 - then I had 2 meetings at 11 (I chose the one that provided lunch of course), a meeting at 1, 2 at 2PM, and 1 at 3P - left work at 430. Had a sugar crash (I have a hypo prob), ate fast food crap for supper. :( I need a little dusting of will power I think. Today was a wash too. Hopefully, so long as I don't throw in the towel completely I'll find my way back. I do want this WOE, I just am struggling right now.

Souvenir: Obviously I'm no example right now, and I am on double my weight gain meds (long story) for now, BUT most say that cutting the fruits and starchy veg down helps with the weight loss. OR try a nutrition tracker for a few days and see what is adding up high. I don't worry about fats/calories, but when I did this I found my carbs were higher than I thought, and my calories were lower than I thought. Might give you some insight.

ladynredd
04-21-2011, 08:34 AM
Sorry to hear that some of you have been struggling with your food choices. I've been there more times than I want to count! Right now, however, I'm in a good place and really enjoying it.

Still kind of feeling my way with regard to this new way of eating but I guess I'm doing something right as I've lost 5 pounds so far this week! :carrot::carrot: I know I'll face a challenge on Easter Sunday, when we'll be having dinner at someone else's house (anyone have any suggestions?) but so far, so good!

Last night for dinner I had steak, pan-fried mushrooms, and I roasted asparagus for the first time (good!) DH had a potato instead of the mushrooms; win-win for both of us. I saved part of the steak, which was a little bit too rare, and plan to saute' it this morning with half an onion and a zucchini for breakfast.

Today is one of the days of the month when work is its most grueling. I never know if I'll get a break, or what time I'll be done. DH will shift for himself for dinner and I have something very simple planned for myself as I know I'll be too tired to have much interest in cooking.

Hope everyone has a GREAT day.

Ilene
04-21-2011, 09:06 AM
Welcome Ladyinred :wave: you snuk in without a welcome from moi! Glad to see you're doing so well...

Well I am back on track as of yesterday :yes: ... A co-worker and I have a Whole 30 going on from the 21st of April to the 21st of May... Should be fun :D ...

Yesterday I weighed in feeling for sure that I had gained weight, felt bloated, the back fat was all out there :lol: dang I hate back fat!! But lo and behold I was down to 154.4 :dance: ... I felt great the rest of the day, funny how a stoooopid scale can control your mood :goodscale:...

Arkansas Kel
04-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Yay Ilene, and thanks for the support Lady.

Lady, the diet isn't necessarily hard, I read a website somewhere that talked about it. He said basically what's hard about tossing some fat in a skillet, then some meat, then some veg and adding the lid for awhile. He's right. It's when I'm faced with the temptations lately I can't muster enough will power.

Today I made about 80%. All on track with the exception of 6 tortilla chips, 4 bites of chocolate mocha cake (yes, it was luxuriously good - better than I expected and it was cut into huge pieces - I cut off an itty bitty piece), a marshmallow (ok, coated in dk chocolate but I don't count dk chocolate as bad in small quantities), and a piece of texas toast with my supper. Otherwise, good. That's actually only off track some - because the rest was all good for my goals. Tomorrow, hoping to get another inch closer. I've decided it's still a go so long as I keep trying. Besides, as long as I'm avoiding the gain right now, I'm doing good. This stupid clomid makes me feel like I'm STARVING all the time. I want it all. As I drive home down the highway, cattle in the fields are nervous when they see me. And they should be......

Ilene
04-21-2011, 09:21 PM
We had Thai food for supper.... soooo noooot PRIMAL!!!! :tantrum:

saycindy
04-21-2011, 09:25 PM
Fell off the wagon myself for about a week. Yesterday I was really off. My body told me to knock it off. I was gassy, bloated and had really bad heartburn. Most of the stuff I ate did not even taste that good. If I plan on having something off again, I'm making sure it is really worth it.
Today was good, bacon, eggs, salad, chicken, fauxtatoes and asparagus. I feel so much better. I'm even thinking of giving up cream in my coffee. HUGE for me but coffee is just not doing it for me lately anyway.
So glad Spring is somewhat here, can't wait till the fresh vegetables you can get in Summer and early Fall.

uscarchie
04-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Yellow Coconut curry- I think that's FAIRLY primal. :) It's mostly veggies and chicken- and you can usually get it served over veggies rather than rice- that's my go to when I dine at a Thai restaurant- even when I was on SBD.

Last night at a restaurant I had salmon that was covered in some sort of cream sauce over rice- I scraped off MOST of the cream sauce but that stuff was sticky! And it kept trying to capture the rice- so I think I did mostly OK but I'm sure that it wasn't as good as if I'd not had the sauce there- I didn't know it was going to come out with the sauce on it. Hate it when they don't list what's in the dish on the menu.

Arkansas Kel
04-22-2011, 04:41 PM
Today was better. Only one english muffin off plan today. Das it. aaaah, better.

My BFF found a diet - FA (Food anon), she told me how revolutionary it is.... I asked her what they do.... she said it's a support group that meets to talk about the diet and that the diet is no sugar/grain - SERIOUSLY. Girls and Guys, we got that right here except we can meet all we want. I told her she should go, :D is that wrong?

We were discussing what goes wrong with us and "diets." I said it's not finding one - I can find one every week, it's sticking to one. ;) We're both ready right not for a change, doing it together will make a difference. She'll probly do FA, I'll be paleo/primal - might not be much difference in them anyway.

ladynredd
04-22-2011, 05:06 PM
One of the things that made me think I might do well with a Paleo-type WOE is that it reminded me a lot of what used to be called "gray sheet" in Overeaters Anonymous in the mid-70's. No sugar, no bread, no grain ... I got down to the lowest I've been in my adult life until I got married and started having "regular" food in the house for the new husband ... it sounds a lot like your description of the FA diet, too. Good luck to both of you!

I'm still doing good, just got back from major shopping expedition to replenish fruit and vegies. Homemade chicken chop suey is on the menu tonight ...

walking2lose
04-22-2011, 06:34 PM
Arkansas Kel, I agree, today is a new day :)

Does anyone have any recommendations for successful weight loss on this way of eating? Things that work for them?

I know I need to be more consistent about my carb intake and need to consider fitting in IF. My exercise has been acceptable but I haven't been sprinting. I haven't been tracking any calories.

Eating with a more paleo bent helps -- cutting dairy, limiting or cutting nuts, some have to count calories too. It all depends on the individual. I know I am effortlessly maintaining right now, but I haven't been losing either. However, when I did whole30 in Jan (my changes were cutting dairy and alcohol), I lost 4-5 lbs while still eating very well and always feeling satiated.

There are several discussions on this on MDA. It seems that some drop lbs. like mad when they switch to this WOE. I suspect those folks were eating quite high carb/junky before and had a significant amount to lose and went at it whole hog (sorry for the pun) -- in other words, they cut all the junk and cheats and changed their diet and saw tremendous weight loss.

Others, perhaps like me, had less to lose, were already eating fairly healthfully, and found that losing is more gradual and subtle. I dropped a good bit the first 3 months or so (about 15 lbs), which I have kept off.

I'm at a point where I am seeking motivation to push to get off about 10 more. I teach and have had an extremely stressful year, and I just haven't been 100% devoted and planned out every week like I should. That said, I'm not sitting around eating sweets, bread, and other junk. I've read several of the weight loss threads at MDA because I am curious too -- several posters (women) have said that they eat primal/paleo AND count calories, many have cut dairy (which is inflammatory for many anyway), limit or cut nuts, limit or cut alcohol.

Also, Robb Wolf says over and over on his podcasts that if you're not sleeping well, you will not lose as much or as fast as you would if sleep were dialed in. He is fanatical about the sleep thing and says it's KEY for weight loss (or "leaning out" as he always calls it). I know he is right, and I am NOT a good sleeper. When I'm really exhausted all **** breaks lose in my body -- not only do I suffer pretty serious mental impairment (brain fog, forgetfulness, etc.), but my eating can go off the rails. I also do not exercise when I'm exhausted.

Having said all that, I really need to take some of the advice myself. I have a three day weekend - Sun is a family day, but otherwise, I kind of want to lay low, gets lots of rest, plan meals/cook, read, ok... maybe grade a few papers. Recharging is good for our health AND helps with weight loss.

I have a big wedding on June 10-- would love to be 5 lbs. slimmer (or more) by then.

Arkansas Kel
04-23-2011, 01:09 PM
Yesterday had 2 items off plan - crackers, tortilla chips. Man, I'm getting better and better. I was starving when I ate them and waiting on other folks to determine my supper plans (large family playing - I don't care where do you want to go....). We went mexican - I had fajita salad - no shell. I ate a few tortilla chips while waiting on my food - actually I counted 6 as I ate them to limit myself. Then I pushed them across to my brother in law and encouraged him to put half eaten ones back into basket and double dip in salsa to discourage me. He obliged. The crackers were for real hunger. I could have had a banana or something better than that, but somehow I plunged into that little cracker pack when hunger took over. I shouldn't have let myself get so hungry, but I was trying to hold out for the supper plan.

Today, one pork chop and a few walnuts down. BFF wants to go to mall later. So far so good, must get head set to avoid mall food. I can do it ;(
surely? Yes, I can do it.

Ladyinred: I love bringing in all the fresh stuff. Always bolsters my determination and mood. Do share your chop suey how to's. I've never made that. I do make kitchen sink style stir fry with liquid aminos that we LOVE. (liquid aminos are just a soy sauce tasting sauce without the soy or wheat).

Arkansas Kel
04-24-2011, 11:40 PM
OK, I know it's a holiday. I fasted through the AM - yep, on purpose, then ate what I wanted for the holiday. I enjoyed hiding eggs, helping kids find eggs, and ate like a country girl on ham, ckn and dumplins, yeast rolls and other fare. I overate in the end, but back on track tomorrow :)

Hope all ya'll had a GREAT EAster too!

Arkansas Kel
04-25-2011, 07:47 PM
so, is there some private place everyone just sneaked off to? HELLOOO!

Oh well, I'm a good self talker anyway. Today was good. Good at work. Good food. Off plan supper, but until that moment 100%, even through a LONG dull meeting. We decided to make supper short, quick, and picked up because we have much to do tonight. Our area is flooding. We're not actually, except for a drainage issue and a flooded basement - not a new thing. So we're shoveling and sump pumping instead of cooking.

uscarchie
04-26-2011, 11:38 AM
Hey Kel- Guess people may still be recovering from Easter. I'm still recovering from a training run that we went on Sunday. OW. I'm not really as ready for my half marathon as I'd like to be. Needed to train more, and not get sick during the training. :)

Sounds like you're doing well- just keep up the good work! I'm excited that my Whole30 is almost up- I need to figure out what I'll be doing next month! I think I'll continue to do mostly Whole30- but I'm adding in a glass of wine and allowing myself dark chocolate- I may also try pastured butter and whole fat milk or cream.

Ilene
04-26-2011, 03:33 PM
Hey girls :wave: ...

The weekend was horrible carb wise but I was back on track yesterday I also ran and rollerbladed it felt good....

souvenirdarling
04-26-2011, 08:36 PM
There's something about the first jog of the spring that feels so freeing.

I'm really considering doing a Whole30 for May :) With firmer limitation on nuts, no dairy (not even butter).

It's my sweets cravings that need to be dealt with.

In the last few days I have tried coconut milk. What I bought crazy thick and solidifies in the fridge. I've been making spinach-mango smoothies with a 1//4 cup of it, blended with water.

Arkansas Kel
04-26-2011, 10:33 PM
Well, last nights storms defeated me by wearing me down without sleep. Overslept, but still ate a primal bkfst. Off track by cracker and a bun through lunchtime. Then for your own WOE safety, as I don't want to be too bad an influence, let's not discuss my afternoon. Right now, back ON TRACK BABY!

Our nearest river is about .69 inches short of "moderate flood" stage. I understand it's only 3 inches from breaching it's levee. I am so fortunate to live on a hill. I am worrying about people I know. I have coworkers in Poplar Bluff, Missouri who can't come to work. I have friends living in the flat land areas - some pretty close to that levee. I have an old acquainance living in Hardy, AR - where the Spring River is over it's banks. It's like all my peeps are at risk right now. Only a couple have been advised to evacuate, but I'm not so sure I wouldn't volunteer to evacuate if I lived by the levees. Sorry, that's just what's on my mind tonight. Fatigue from the storms (we had thunder, lightening, and tornado sirens last night) plus worry has destroyed me today resolve wise. So far, everyone is okay though. It could turn critical fast though. :( Pray for the people around these flooding rivers tonight. I don't normally say such things, but there's some poor folks in this area, and there's people at risk of losing their homes and livlihoods - not to mention life and limb.

uscarchie
04-28-2011, 04:43 PM
The whole south is being hit so hard by these storms. I hope that people make it out okay.

Arkansas Kel
04-30-2011, 10:24 PM
Hey guys, I'm ready for a change. I'm not going to let go of my Primal mindset, but I am going to change the flavor a bit. I'm going to do an induction. Maybe I'll be back after, but since my meds doubled, my weight is climbing again and I can't stand anymore weight on my short frame. Time for an intervention. See ya around the web! (or on the induction areas for awhile if anyone wants to visit!)

ladynredd
05-01-2011, 12:07 PM
I've started the new thread for May ...