100 lb. Club - What I Don't Do Because I am Fat...

Runundefined
04-02-2011, 08:56 AM
So yesterday I was thinking about how much I don’t do in my life that I would do if I was slim..

One thing is going to Dolphin Cove here.. I have always wanted to go to this place and my DH has asked me several times why we don't go and I always blame it on the cost.. but actually I've been afraid of squeezing into the wet suits you have to wear..

Another thing is just going to ANY water park… I’ve NEVER been to a water park EVER because I am so ashamed of my thighs - I hold all my weight in my thighs and hips and now they are even worse because they are wrinkled a bit from the weight I have lost so far.

I was watching Ruby yesterday on TV and she weighs I think around 360 pounds now and went to a water park in LA! OMG.. I can’t imagine.. she rode ALL the rides on national TV. It blew me away and this is what started me thinking about how much I don’t do in my life because I feel like a fat outcast.

She even rode this very, very high water flume type ride.. it was 150 steps to the top.. I am not even sure I could do that walk up those steps.. it actually made my cry just watching it because I can imagine the emotional and mental push it took her to do it.

It got me to thinking and I am going to push myself seriously out of my comfort zone this year! I already got in a Kayak very recently and I am doing more of that this year (that was another thing that I had never done because I was afraid I could not get in and out of one). So many things.. like riding a bike (I bought a new bike last month and have only ridden it on one day.. how screwed up is that?).. I am changing some of these things this year.

What don't you do that you can make an effort to do this year?

Angie
04-02-2011, 09:11 AM
Recently we had a group play date with some other families and we went to a swimming pool. We had been invited before, but there was no way I was putting on a bathing suit around these people. I felt much better about it this time.

There were lots of things I didn't do because I was fat and it was too hard or I didn't think I could. Now I find I have more confidence, and energy and strength, so I'm making a conscious effort not to let that happen any longer. A good example was 2 summers ago my company paid for us all to go on an outdoor adventure type thing where you do tree-top trekking and zip-lining. I didn't participate because I was too big (there was a 250lb max) however, others did participate even though I suspect they weighed more than me, and now I wish I'd done it too.

Runundefined
04-02-2011, 09:15 AM
Angie,

Thank you for your post.
It got me to thinking about having more more confidence. I need to work on that too.

I agree with what you said about making a conscious effort to change these things. I think I have become so used to this way of thinking that I don't even consider some things.

I hope you get a chance to do that zip line again! Maybe you should just do it for yourself. My mother (69 years old) just went on one recently in Mexico. She has not stopped talking about it. She's one fierce lady.

Thank you for your post!

Eliana
04-02-2011, 09:19 AM
The amazing thing is that you will start to enjoy and experience those things well before hitting goal. ;) I started to feel on top of the world around 200 pounds and I felt normal at 185. I remember 185 because that's where I was at the beginning of last Summer when I ventured to the local amusement park for the first time since losing weight. I was blown away by the most mundane things. I nearly cried walking into the place when I discovered I fit through the turn stile without hopping over it or turning sideways. If they'd have let me I would have just walked in and out of the turn stiles for a half hour. :D Plus if you exercise along the way, you will build strength and endurance for those activities you are wanting to do.

The best example I can give you of an activity I'd have wanted to do but wouldn't have been able to do a year and a half ago was the caving adventure I just went on last weekend. I went spelunking and it was hard! I wouldn't have FIT in the cave back then. And I wouldn't have had the strength to make that body climb. It was one of the best experiences of my life and I'd have missed it.

A year and a half ago I wouldn't have gone on a two hour hike with my best friend through the woods at our old college. Did that yesterday. ;)

A year and a half ago I couldn't have gone a 26 mile bike ride on a trail that used to be a railway. It's beautiful!

Shoot, a year and a half ago my two best friends and I couldn't go to the symphony and sit side by side because we were too fat to sit in those tiny seats. I can only imagine what we looked like when we tried. :( We had to put a seat between each of us.

Angie
04-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Runundefined -- I think I will book the zip line thing again just for me, I might save that as a little mini reward when I get to ONEderland :)

Runundefined
04-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Hi Eliana!

Thank you for this amazing post!
It really made me smile. I know EXACTLY what you felt about that turnstyle!

Runundefined
04-02-2011, 09:25 AM
Angie..
I see your blog... you have the same background I do... I am your first follower!

Angie
04-02-2011, 09:43 AM
lol -- thank you! I just started it on Thursday :)

MelissaMartiinson1
04-02-2011, 09:47 AM
I miss out on all sorts of things and that is why I am doing this. My sons 5 and 2 want to do things like going to our aquatic center, running through the park playing tag, going on bike rides, hiking in the mountain. It ashames me that I am not able to do these things YET with my boys. Soon though

lottie63
04-02-2011, 10:06 AM
I'm hoping to ride a bike this year if I can afford to get one. I love my stationary recumbent, but I'd love to ride outside. I haven't in the past just because I feel like I'd make a spectacle of myself. a fat friend who was smaller than me rode once and the neighbor frat guys yelled at her "hey don't pop the tires!" I would die. :(

I want to run in June too.

pochamma10
04-02-2011, 10:42 AM
Gosh, there are so many things I haven't done/don't do because I'm too fat. These are the major ones though:
1. Never worn a two piece bathing suit (I did when I was a toddler, but that doesn't count!) - when all of my friends are skinny minis that live in bikinis in the summer!
2. Never learned to drive a stick shift - Ok, what does that have to do with my weight you might ask? I think it's that I lack confidence and this probably sounds crazy but I feel like if I ever got in an accident, people would be like what a fat ***, she can't even drive!
3. Working out in the gym - ok, so I did it occasionally when I was in the States but I feel like a total dumbass the whole time. One of my (very fit) friends told me once that he was glad when the New Year's fatties stopped clogging up the gym!

Lottie I TOTALLY hear you on the bike thing! I have this beautiful bike that is sitting in the basement because I'm so afraid that someone is going to look at me riding it and think what is that whale doing on a bike?? Are those spokes bending?! lol

Runundefined
04-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Pochamma,

I can SO relate to your entire post... Joining a Gym is something else I have NEVER done because of my being so uncomfortable in my own skin.

Ugg.. sorry about that comment your friend made! He prob. didn't know it would set into your mind and stay there, I don't think half the things that stick with us are ever meant to hurt us.

So many of us have issues with bikes! I bought a brand new one a month ago and was so discusted that I could not even ride 10 minutes that I have not been back on it yet.

Hyacinth
04-02-2011, 11:25 AM
I wait until my college-aged son goes to school or work before doing any exercise video. I told him this, and he totally didn't get it. I said it's because overweight people experience a lot of unwanted comments and attention when we exercise in public, and we end up believing we're somehow not welcome to do that.

What I don't get is, people will yell "lose weight!" if you're NOT exercising, yet they make fun of you if you are? Those double standards make me so angry.

I am comfortable biking, and have been at any weight. When my son was a kid, I used to go to the beach and swimming with him. I never felt out of place, because I was a mom and that's what moms do. Now that he is older, I don't go to the beach because I feel like the context of "mom" is gone and don't want to seen as being open to being picked up or something. I am considering a water-aerobics class, though.

I would like to go horseback riding. The last time I looked into it, they had a weight requirement that I didn't meet. My mom suggested I ask them if they have a Clydesdale. LOL!

Eliana
04-02-2011, 11:40 AM
I am continuously floored by some of the horrible things you ladies have heard. :( What are people thinking, seriously? Popping bike tires? Fatties in the gym? Honestly, most people are not like this. How exactly do they expect us "fatties" to lose weight if we don't ride bikes or go to the gym? :dunno:

Here's my gym experience. We had some people join the gym in January who were definitely carrying some weight. Now, in March, there really aren't any heavy people at the gym anymore. Wanna know why? Because they lost the weight!! These people have dropped 30-40 pounds already! Hello! That's what gyms are for!

Rant over....sorry. :sorry:

PaulaM
04-02-2011, 11:42 AM
As I have gotten older, the things I don't do because of fat are fewer and fewer. I joined the Y. I'm the biggest one in my Zumba class and I don't care, I'm there dancing. I wanted to swim at the Y pool so I got a tankini with shorts for the bottom so the flabby tops of my thighs don't show. I don't know how young you are, but I can tell you that back in the 70s when I was single it was rare to see anybody who was fat. Now in 2011 I think there are more overweight than normal weight sadly. Don't let your weight stop you from living right now, tomorrow you might not be here.

BeTrueToYou
04-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Okay so I was reading this and was about to write a response. The first thing that came to mind was hiking. I love hiking but I never do it because I hate being the fat slow one who can't breathe. I have avoided hiking ever since I got to 200lbs, which turned into 260lbs. I keep telling myself that I will but I never do. So instead of responding to the post, I googled a hiking trail (dreamy draw) and drove there. I met some nice people, had a great hike with the dogs and left feeling awesome. I can't wait to go back. There are many trails varying in difficulty so as I get better (hopefully) I can increase the difficulty or distance. I went for about an hour today on a trail that was very up/down/up/down. It was a little rocky so my muscles worked on the declines and the inclines were very aerobic. Anyways I was proud of myself and wanted to say thank you to all of you because I felt encouraged to do it. Next on my list are things like shopping with friends, rock climbing, wearing a swim suit in a public place, going on a trampoline among others. Have a great day everyone and thanks!:woohoo:

OhMyDogs
04-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Oh I'd love to go for a good horseback ride. It's been YEARS since I have been. I have a friend who's probably a little lighter than me, but not by too much, and she has horses and rides them, but I just couldn't. The last time I was on a horse was like 100lbs ago, and I don't think I would be comfortable asking another living creature to carry me unless I shed a bunch of weight.

GirlyGirlSebas
04-02-2011, 01:02 PM
So instead of responding to the post, I googled a hiking trail (dreamy draw) and drove there. I met some nice people, had a great hike with the dogs and left feeling awesome.
I love this! How wonderful.

Eliana
04-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Okay so I was reading this and was about to write a response. The first thing that came to mind was hiking. I love hiking but I never do it because I hate being the fat slow one who can't breathe. I have avoided hiking ever since I got to 200lbs, which turned into 260lbs. I keep telling myself that I will but I never do. So instead of responding to the post, I googled a hiking trail (dreamy draw) and drove there. I met some nice people, had a great hike with the dogs and left feeling awesome. I can't wait to go back. There are many trails varying in difficulty so as I get better (hopefully) I can increase the difficulty or distance. I went for about an hour today on a trail that was very up/down/up/down. It was a little rocky so my muscles worked on the declines and the inclines were very aerobic. Anyways I was proud of myself and wanted to say thank you to all of you because I felt encouraged to do it. Next on my list are things like shopping with friends, rock climbing, wearing a swim suit in a public place, going on a trampoline among others. Have a great day everyone and thanks!:woohoo:
Best post of the day! :D I love this! How wonderful that a thread like this got you out and doing something you've been afraid/unwilling to do for a long time. This is heart warming, really. :hug:

spixiet
04-02-2011, 02:49 PM
In my weight loss journey, I've gotten much better at trying things I used to be embarrassed to even consider - be they jogging, going to the gym, water activities, black water tubing (inner tubing in a cave, required a wetsuit). I've been trying to work on my confidence (fake it til you make it), and I've been fairly successful with regards to those types of things. However, and this is a big "however" because it's honestly the one that matters most to me, I do not flirt because of my weight, and I never assume that a man who's being nice to me is actually flirting with me. I've posted about this lack of confidence before, and about being amazed at larger women that have confidence with men and confidence in their own beauty. It's definitely still a work in progress for me, but I know I WILL get there :D

konfyoozed
04-02-2011, 05:20 PM
i've lived so close to busch gardens in williamsburg VA for 7 years now, and have not been because i'm too afraid that i won't fit in any of the roller coaster seats... it would be so pointless to spend the 60 bucks to get in and only get to watch my friends have fun.

so i make excuses.

one day, i will be able to ride roller coasters again. i miss them.

ilidawn
04-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Man, a waterpark sounds awesome...haven't been to one since I was 10.

My weight keeps me from going out and meeting people. It also keeps me from wanting to go anywhere where people can see me. This year I'd like to go out and do more. I want to stop being a hermit lol

I did something though last month that's a major step for me. I joined the YMCA and I actually wore a swimdress and got in the pool! I just need to get back to doing it.

fatferretfanatic
04-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Since I got fat, about six years ago, I have been hellbent on not being defeated things just because I was fat, physical things, at least. When I got to my highest weight, those things were becoming physically less possible. ugh! But, I still swim, hike, went caving recently, now I run, and every time I get the chance to do something, I do it. I went to Greece for a study abroad in the summer of 2009, and it was awesome. I still laid out on the beach, I went skinny dipping with all the other girls late at night in Sifnos one time; I wasn't the only fat girl, but there were a ton of little skinny beauties with us. I rode a donkey up a huge staircase in Santorini, took a huge hike at a volcano, and I wasn't much slimmer than I am now. I have gone to the club here and in Greece a ton of times with my friends, and you better believe I danced. I feel a lot more self conscious doing these things fat, but heck, I do not believe in letting experiences pass me by. Now, what I would like to do in the future, is be able to go to Greece again and wear a bikini for my husband on the beach! That would be something.

shannonmb
04-02-2011, 08:10 PM
I am looking very forward to this summer, when I plan on doing a LOT of things I just couldn't do last year. I'm nowhere close to goal, but I am confident by summer I will be able to take my daughter on some of the hiking trails at a park close to us. There's one particularly beautiful one that has a monster hill that really KILLED me the last time I tried it. I am also planning on going canoeing -- I think I can do it now! Last year when I was first getting this started, I bought season passes to our local awesome water park -- and had a blast at over 300 lbs (I musta looked just like Ruby, though I only ever braved one of the slides because of the weight limits). I already bought our passes for this year, and I am going to be able to do a LOT more!

One that's been mentioned that will for sure have to wait till I'm under 200 lbs (so probably NEXT summer) is the horseback riding thing. When I am clickity clacking on a horse I will know that I have REALLY DONE SOMETHING! Wooooooo!!! Life is so exciting these days!!

Smiling_Sara
04-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Date

sz12wannabe
04-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Great thread! Several years ago we were at Myrtle Beach and I wanted to ride the roller coaster that was to be torn down. I fretted over it and finally rode it. I fit but barely! So glad I did. This year going on vacation and I want to be more comfortable on the plane. I have always gone swimming no matter what size. My husband wants me to join the gym but I have not yet. Maybe a few more lbs and I will. Reading these responses is so motivating!

pochamma10
04-03-2011, 03:23 AM
This thread is great! I really like that people have adopted such positive attitudes to some of the challenges of life at a larger size! I posted the things that I don't do because I am fat, but, I should also say that there are a few things I did in the last two years DESPITE being fat that I am really proud of.

1. I went on a hiking trip in the Turkish mountains with my friend. For ten days! My friend is in better shape than me and I was definitely huffing and puffing along but I kept up and I never sat out a hike.
2. Accepting a job overseas. I was always turning down opportunities to go abroad because I felt so uncomfortable with my weight and my confidence suffered. Finally I just said screw it, I'm going! So I've been living abroad for a year and a half now, and really enjoying it!

Run You've lost 33 lbs - that's amazing!!! Hopefully we both work up the confidence to go biking soon!

Hyacinth and Eliana I agree with you both 100%! The gym is for losing and/or maintaing weight and getting/staying healthy! It's frustrating to have that double standard.

BeTrue That is so great! Congratulations on getting motivated and taking that hike. I love hiking too but thought I was too unfit; until my friend proposed hiking in Turkey and I thought you know what, let's make like Nike and just do it!

Ilidawn Wow, I am in awe! I don't think I have the courage to be seen in public in a swimsuit yet...still working on that one!

FatFerret Love your attitude! I'm trying to change my way of thinking to be more like you! Can't stop living life because of some extra "baggage!"

Riesz
04-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Unfortunately, I've let fat keep me locked away for a long time. I would often feel I was so horribly ugly I couldn't possibly go out in public.

I can't afford a gym membership but even if I could I wouldn't go at this point. I think I'm too big.

I won't even try on a swimsuit or think about going to a pool or beach.

I won't wear shorts, tank tops, or cap sleeves in public.

I feel guilty when I get into a car and see it sink so drastically. I worry chairs might give out when I sit in restaurants, etc. I'm ashamed to sit on benches while waiting to be seated at restaurants -- I take up too much of the bench.

My poor self-image and confidence are slowly changing though. I'm trying! :D I have moments of feeling much better about myself, but some days I feel I look so disfigured and disgusting. I have a long way to go on changing my thoughts but I'm trying slowly but surely.

fatferretfanatic
04-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Thanks, pochamma-and it's true. No matter what size you are, don't let life pass you by. If you do, even when you're skinny you'll regret it.

pnkrckpixikat
04-03-2011, 11:58 AM
the only activity type thing i am waiting on losing weight to do is horseback riding, most places have a cut off of 200 pounds so it is my Onderland reward.

other then that wearing shorts and wearing skirts without leggings... that is mostly a comfort thing, my thighs rub so bad that the shorts will ride up and it'll either be really uncomfortable if i leave them there or i will spend all day dragging them down

Hyacinth
04-03-2011, 01:40 PM
I avoid running, and even when I do lose enough weight I don't think I will. I fear it will do irreparable damage to my knees. I'm 40, and I've been fat for quite a while.

I avoid wearing tanks and shorts, but wouldn't not go out of the house wearing them. I avoided getting professional family photos for my entire adult life. :(

A shout-out to PaulaM and BeTrueToYou for such great attitude!!

hpnodat
04-03-2011, 02:06 PM
I used to think I couldn't ride a bike because I'm fat. I bought bikes for myself and my husband last weekend at a garage sale I've ridden my bike at least 4 times since and today I rode it for 2 miles!

I'm beginning to learn that all the things I thought I couldn't do are just thoughts. Fear is one of the things that keeps me fat.

Goddess Jessica
04-03-2011, 10:15 PM
I really don't let weight hold me back.

That doesn't mean I don't FEAR that I won't be able to do something because I'm fat. But I just pretend that "of course I'll be able to do" it and 99% of the time, I can.

Outrigger canoe, rock climbing, triathlons, and surfing (wetsuit and all), I've done at more than 250 pounds (my first triathlon I was 278). Sometimes I call ahead of time and talk to someone about if I will be able to to "fit."

The only thing that holds me back is actual weight limits (well, and the fetus). My next big goal is a trapeze! The trapeze school around here requires, "200lbs. You must be able to hold your weight from a low-bar for 20 seconds to ensure your safety on the high trapeze rig."

MoveMoveMove
04-04-2011, 06:31 PM
I'm loving this thread. Because I'm fat, I don't do anything. It's either a real reason or an excuse.

I used to love roller coasters but I don't think I can fit on them anymore and am too embarrassed to find out.

But I'm trying to change. For my 45th bday last month, I gave myself a 12 day trip to Costa Rica. I was embarrassed to be traveling alone but I went anyway. I was embarrassed to be the only one in the float for my river rafting excursion, but I did it anyway. I was embarrassed not to be able to complete the hike up the volcano but I enjoyed the scenery until the rest of my group completed it. I was embarrassed to have to do the hot springs in shorts and a tank instead of a swimsuit, but the water still felt good. I'd bought a swimdress before the trip but it didn't make it in the suitcase (progress not perfection). I saw another young lady there about my size in her suit and she looked happy as can be.

Unfortunately, I've let fat keep me locked away for a long time. I would often feel I was so horribly ugly I couldn't possibly go out in public.

I can't afford a gym membership but even if I could I wouldn't go at this point. I think I'm too big. Nope - not too big. At 307 I thought I was too big but went anyway. Guess what - nobody paid any attention to me - they were doing their own thing. When I would see another obese person come in I would give them a mental cheer and then got back to what I was doing.

I won't even try on a swimsuit or think about going to a pool or beach. I'll go to the beach wearing shorts or a skirt that I'll hike up but no swimsuit. At the age of 45 I recently bought the first swimsuit I have ever owned. Ever. Granted I haven't worn it yet but I plan to before the month is out. It's a swimdress and other than the fact that there's not a lot of support for the girls, it fits ok.

I won't wear shorts, tank tops, or cap sleeves in public. In high school, my best friend's mother got me out of this habit. She said I should wear what I want as long as I felt comfortable in it. Now I wear my shorts and tank tops all the time (it gets HOT here in Houston). I don't like my flapping arms but hey, it's not like longer sleeves hide the flapping. And if someone doesn't like it, they have the ability to direct their eyes elsewhere :D.

My poor self-image and confidence are slowly changing though. I'm trying! :D I have moments of feeling much better about myself, but some days I feel I look so disfigured and disgusting. I have a long way to go on changing my thoughts but I'm trying slowly but surely. Keep it up. I'm glad to see you changing twenty years faster than I did.

Goddess Jessica
04-04-2011, 07:25 PM
@MoveMoveMove - Regarding the swimdress that doesn't support "the girls." Try a bra on under the swim suit. When I do triathlons, there is NO way I could do the biking portion without a bra let alone the running portion! I just wear a bra under my suit. Make sure it's one that can stay relatively hidden and you don't mind a dose of chlorine when you're in the pool. I wear my bra surfing as well. I don't feel comfortable doing sporty things without my sports bra.

Hyacinth
04-04-2011, 08:16 PM
MoveMoveMove, I think it's super-cool that you took a vacation by yourself. I think my solo trips have been the most enjoyable.

bellastarr
04-04-2011, 08:56 PM
My weight keeps me from going out and meeting people. It also keeps me from wanting to go anywhere where people can see me. This year I'd like to go out and do more. I want to stop being a hermit lol

me too, i dont want people to see me fat.

i've never worn a bikini, won't even wear a bathing suit in public, i won't wear shorts, i do go to the gym but hate having people see the fat girl all sweaty and gross running on the treadmill...i feel like theres an earthquake as i pound my feet running, feel my weight shakes the room..

i also haven't worn a pair of jeans since july :(

NorthernExposure
04-04-2011, 09:47 PM
The amazing thing is that you will start to enjoy and experience those things well before hitting goal. ;) I started to feel on top of the world around 200 pounds and I felt normal at 185. I remember 185 because that's where I was at the beginning of last Summer when I ventured to the local amusement park for the first time since losing weight. I was blown away by the most mundane things. I nearly cried walking into the place when I discovered I fit through the turn stile without hopping over it or turning sideways. If they'd have let me I would have just walked in and out of the turn stiles for a half hour. :D Plus if you exercise along the way, you will build strength and endurance for those activities you are wanting to do.

Shoot, a year and a half ago my two best friends and I couldn't go to the symphony and sit side by side because we were too fat to sit in those tiny seats. I can only imagine what we looked like when we tried. :( We had to put a seat between each of us.

OMG, I could have written so much of that! Fitting properly into seats at concerts, on airplanes, restaurant booths etc. has opened up WORLDS to me! It sounds so silly (people who have always been thin would have NO idea), but it's just amazing. Even the simple act of crossing my legs is so thrilling now!

Like you, I started feeling good at about 200 lbs (I think I was around 215 at the beginning of last summer). I found a flattering swimsuit ("board shorts with a "tank top" style top...not exactly a string bikini, lol, but at least it's not one of those awful 1930's style "swim dresses.") Anyway, not only did I go to a water park, I also went to Vegas and swam in the pools without feeling like a complete whale. I certainly wasn't turning any heads, but that's the point...I actually blended in with everyone else.

Recently I crossed the 185 mark, into the "overwight" BMI range. I don't have to wear plus size clothes anymore. I definitely have a ways to go, but I actually feel somewhat "normal" now. I'm amazed at what I can physically do now that I couldn't do a year ago. I can RUN up a flight of stairs. I can fit in normal sized spaces. I can go DANCING if I want to! No way in **** I would have done that a year ago.

MelKnee
04-04-2011, 10:09 PM
I want to ride horses! I have always wanted to but I have just been afraid. Afraid people would laugh. Afraid I would hurt the horse. Afraid I would fall off and kill myself. I have made learning to ride a horse my goal reward.

Goddess Jessica
04-04-2011, 10:25 PM
@MelKnee -- I was your weight when I rode a horse in El Salvador. A VERY different culture down there. They have no qualms about asking you how much you weigh and make comments about your weight. It's not considered rude. My friend who was in the peace corp (and very thin) wanted to take me on this horseback tour of the hideouts during the recent civil war. The other member of the tour was a stout, heavy priest but no one made a comment about HIS weight. :dizzy:

My point is that I didn't kill myself, the horse hardly noticed me (he was interested in biting the other horses though), and yes, people did laugh when I mounted the horse but after that, no one even paid attention.

beautiful days
04-05-2011, 04:30 AM
THere aren't many things I don't do because of my weight. I try not to let it hold me back, but sometimes i have to realize that the world I live in wasn't built for people my size. i'd really really like if I could ride any rollercoaster at an amusement park. I think going to Knotts Berry Farm or Six Flags or the LA or OC fair and being able to ride any ride is one of the main reasons why I want to lose weight, and these are things I can't do so I don't know if it counts.

But other than that, the only thing that really holds me back is going to cool shows with my friends. I live in LA (Long Beach, mainly) and there's always cool shows, and a friend of mine is close friends with someone that runs a record label and they're always going to neat shows and I feel so out of place and super fat when I go. Plus there always a lot of stylish people at these shows, and I just feel out of place and lame.

ANother thing would be shopping at thrift stores. I'm blessed to live in close proximity to a thrift store that has plus size clothing but I wish I could go to any thrift store and pick out the best things there are to offer.

kallismom
04-05-2011, 09:14 AM
I TRY to not let weight hold me back, and it doesn't for the most part. I have however, been terrified of wearing shorts and tanks. I have vowed to myself that I will not spend one more NC summer in jeans. It gets so friggin hot here!

As for amusement parks, I don't hesitate to go. A couple of summers ago we went to Busch Gardens Williamsburg and King's Dominion and I rode EVERYTHING! (In JEANS) (In JULY) Literally, even a lot of the kid coasters with my then 6yo. Yes, I was a little scared to try some of the seats, but they are made quite roomy nowadays. I even did the Sky Flyer thing where you fall from a huge tower and basically soar over the park at Kings Dominion and it was AMAZING! I did this together with my oldest daughter and I am so glad that we did it! It was the scariest thing in the world. I was the fattest person in line. I did it attached to someone else. I thought for sure the cable would break - it didn't!

Just an FYI for anyone going to these particular parks. Alpengeist at BG was closed when I was there in 09, but I went after they first opened years ago and it was constricting to my legs. That said, I was probably around 300 lb that year.

The UFO indoor ride that is at KD is kind of a tight squeeze, but it's worth it. You will be thrilled!

Don't be afraid of The Griffon or Apollo's Chariot. They are huge, but extremely smooth, and you will fit easily!

Let's all LIVE and Have FUN!

runningfromfat
04-05-2011, 10:10 AM
There's not much I don't do because of my weight. The only things that come to mind are post a ton of pics of myself on facebook and buy expensive clothes. But both of those I see as rewards for getting to my goal so I wouldn't want to do them now anyways.

I've lived a fairly active life, traveled the world, been hiking/climbing and horseback riding. All that happened at various weights and I never really thought about it in relation to my weight. Even at my highest I was probably more physically active than most of my skinny friends (really it's always been about consistently exercising, doing the correct exercises, and dropping sweets for me). I've always figured if someone had a problem seeing a physically active fat person that's there problem! ;)

Even now that I've dropped quite a bit I'm still BY FAR the fattest female at my gym. However, I'm definitely out lifting/running/sweating pretty much all the other girls there (and guys for that matter) so I'm hoping not to keep my fattest status for long! :D

skinniminni
04-05-2011, 04:26 PM
forget about what i don't do because i'm fat... how about what i will do when i'm slim!

i'm going to:

buy a whole new wardbrobe -so for now i'm saving money because nothing fits me
socialise more
have way more confidence
and last but not least MAINTAIN a healthy weight because i don't ever want to get like this again

.... but until then i'm going to make the most of what i have and :exercise::tread::running: and eat right until its gone! :D

Aud007
05-04-2012, 06:28 AM
Thank you for this post...I actually started IP because we planned a trip to Costa Rica this summer and while reading through the books, I realized I was too heavy to go horseback riding and zip lining and kayaking...and I thought I couldn't live with this. There are some limits that we voluntarily put on ourselves (like excuses) and I've decided I couldn't live with that anymore. Life is way too short and way too precious for me to miss on it.

Reading this post is a great motivation to stick to program and be active ;-)

And we surely can do it ;-) Have a great day!

fyreflie24
05-04-2012, 09:03 AM
Oh girl... yes. I didn't set foot on a beach from my 20s to last summer (I was 42) and haven't worn a bathing suit or OWNED a bathing suit in all that time... so obviously I haven't done ANYTHING with water etc. Last summer when there were water activities, I wore a sports bra, tee shirt and running pants. Vacations were pretty much out. I tried yoga several times but it was just too hard and inaccessible (also was the studio I was at) but now it's a huge part of my life! Physical activities scared me because I was afraid I couldn't keep up. Life was out in a lot of ways. I'm so ready to start LIVING again!

chel3fsea
05-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Of course I don't wear certain clothing because of my current weight, but I'm getting to really love my shape and eventually I'll be there!

Because of my weight and my fear of heights, I would have NEVER considered ziplining. Something has changed in me...I'm not even sure if it has to do with the weight! But I'm 44 pounds off and my slightly smaller booty will be ziplining Sunday! WOOOOOOOO

geoblewis
05-04-2012, 11:35 AM
I don't date. It's the only thing I can think of that I sort of want to do but and staying away from for now.

MidwestMom
05-04-2012, 08:42 PM
so I lurk a lot here since i fell off the wagon a while back and shot back up... but as my tag line says its all about getting up again and keep going... the one thing i never used to do because of my size... buy a swimsuit... my family has been really good though after me having been without a good suit in ages and since the new rec center membership pool included... I had to face this fear after years and years...

I wasn't even sure how a suit was supposed to propery fit I'd been shimmying in one for the around the house in the srinkler days when no one could see me ... so my kids took me shopping for mothers day its weird to have a suit that is fantastcally bright colored and bought to the proper size i hope I worry about it being too big since I'm so used to feeling like I'm squeezed into a sausage lining
(darned kids make me feel beautiful and happy about the whole thing think my DH put them up to it)

though I still dread going to the public pool at least i won't look completly bad

gracesmomma
05-04-2012, 11:19 PM
I don't go swimming, play with my daughter in physical activities, go out with my husband, go on vacations, go shopping for myself, look in the full length mirror, ride my bike (I really miss that), enjoy going out in public, and the worst thing is that from the time my daughter was born until now (3 years), I have barely been in pictures with her. It makes me so sad, it looks like I wasn't even there for the first 3 years of her life... :(

AwShucks
05-04-2012, 11:26 PM
... so my kids took me shopping for mothers day its weird to have a suit that is fantastcally bright colored and bought to the proper size i hope I worry about it being too big since I'm so used to feeling like I'm squeezed into a sausage lining
(darned kids make me feel beautiful and happy about the whole thing think my DH put them up to it)

I LOVE THIS! You are so blessed to have such a loving family. Wear your beautiful suit with pride and relish being the much loved "mermaid" that you are! Don't worry about what everyone else thinks. What is it that Dr. Seuss said? ... "The ones that mind don't matter, and the ones that matter don't mind!" Go hug your kids and hubby for me. Your story just warms my heart.

AwShucks
05-04-2012, 11:42 PM
What I don't do --

I don't wear sleeveless tops in public either. My arms are just about as big and jiggly as my thighs--in my mind.

I don't ride the bike I've had for the last 15 years. My Mom has said (about other riders) "It looks like an elephant riding an ant." -- so, I can't get that image out of my head, and naturally I don't ride.

I don't eat or drink in my car when sitting still at a red light. I feel like other drivers are watching me, and judging. I have actually held food down low, out of site and waited to take a bite until I was moving again. sigh...

I rarely change clothes in the locker room at my gym. I just know that other women are watching me peel off my layers of spanks and girdles, and then watching me struggle back into them when I'm all sweaty after a workout. And, yes... I have a girdle that I wear under my workout clothes....mustn't jiggle on the treadmill! giggle!

I haven't flown in years. Mostly because I'm afraid of Southwest's "too fat, buy two tickets" rule. I would be mortified! Last time I flew, I had to ask for a seatbelt extender, and it was humiliating.

Since I've lost 50 lbs, I can't say that I've done anything noticeable yet. I still feel pretty big. I guess I should look for things that I hesitate to do and try them. Maybe I can do it now!

KittyKatFan
05-05-2012, 09:39 PM
This is a great topic.

I also went to Costa Rica on my own late last year. Sadly, I couldn't zip line due to weight restrictions. I told people I didn't want to go because I was too tired, but it was really because I suspected there was a weight limit and I was right. I did go river rafting though and had a blast. While I would love to go with a travel partner, I am not going to let the lack of one keep me from traveling. Leaving soon for Portugal, in fact:)

You still will not get me in a bathing suit. I have lost a lot of weight, but now I look saggy. Otherwise I will do just about anything and not let my weight affect me because I feel very physically fit right now thanks to all of the exercise I do.

I just wish I wasn't so shy and had more confidence. I will never believe that a man could find me attractive, for example. I went to lunch yesterday with a skinny friend and when we left the restaurant she said "did you see those guys checking us out?" and in my mind I truly doubted that. They were probably checking her out. Or maybe they were wondering if we were lesbians because she is the skinny, feminine one and I'm the big girl without makeup on. It never would occur to me that anyone is looking at ME, at least not with romantic intentions.

At work, a guy in the hall said hello and I thought for a second that maybe he was flirting. But then I came to my senses. I didn't think I had ever met him, but maybe I had and he was just saying hello to be polite. What I wouldn't give to have the confidence to believe that someone might actually be checking me out..,:(

MidwestMom
05-05-2012, 10:21 PM
oh I will I love them to peices they are my best support team

eguestx0
05-05-2012, 11:32 PM
I am the type of person that I always try to go above and beyond what I think other people think of me. For example, at boot camp I will try my hardest to keep up with the really fit, skinny people at boot camp. It's hard though bc even if people aren't judging me I always think they are. I feel like people watch me walk by and make comments about my weight etc.

TiffNeedsChange
05-06-2012, 02:02 AM
I don't love myself. For example, I used to have manicures/pedicures, buy myself beauty products, facials, and everyday beauty regimens. I don't do anything for myself anymore. Recently I started putting lotion on every few days but I think have to rub my fat body makes me feel so aware of my size that it discourages me. I do the bare minimum of self care-basics shower etc. Trying to get back into the habit of pampering myself and fake it till I make it since i feel unworthy. I also don't do many physical things because of pain partially due to my weight. I don't buy myself nice clothes or get dressed up. I avoid social situations especially clubs and such. I don't feel like I fit in, anywhere. I avid asking for what I want because I do not want to draw attention to myself. Also could not ride go carts because of the weight restriction. Don't take pictures of myself very often. Don't go to fairs or amusement parks. Hmm kind of sad to think how long I have avoided living life solely because of my weight. Working on change!

reallystruggling
05-06-2012, 03:27 AM
Because i'm fat.. i don't tie my hair up in public. Even when it's so hot I think i might melt, i use my long hair to cover up parts of my face.
It gets so hot!! as if being fat in heat isn't bad enough!!!

Tiff- hang in there!! I know exactly how you feel- those days when you feel so worthless. But even though i've only been exercising and on 3FC for a week, I'm beginning to feel so much better about myself (despite only losing 2 pounds). I realize that it's not the way others think of me that counts. IT'S MY OWN ATTITUDE THAT MATTERS!!
Never pity yourself!! YOU GOT THIS!!!

Amy23
05-06-2012, 08:27 AM
I don't:

- Date.

- Make new friends.

- Enjoy life.

- Feel free.

- Shop for clothes.

- Take care of my hair (or my appearance on the whole, for that matter).

- Have fun.

- Join the friends I do have when they go out for the night.

- Leave my house or go out in public without feeling anxious.

- Go to see bands that I love.

- Feel confident or beautiful.

My list is a bit of a downer, I'm afraid, but very true.

I'm 23 and I've been on *one* date in the past three years. In case you were wondering, it was an EPIC disaster (he turned out to have a screw [or ten] loose and probably would have wound up murdering me before the night was out). I haven't attempted to date since then. I'm not comfortable looking at my own body and simply cannot imagine allowing anyone else to look at it. I want a partner in life, I really do, but I suppose it's going to have to wait.

I WANT MY LIFE BACK.

I do realize that it's me, not my weight, that's holding me back from doing a lot of these things: but basically, being overweight has robbed me of any self confidence I might have once had. I just can't enjoy myself or feel free. I'm glad I'm doing this now, though, before my twenties are out. THERE IS FUN TO BE HAD YET!

:carrot: