Carb Counters - April Whole 30

View Full Version : April Whole 30

uscarchie
04-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Welcome to the April Whole 30 thread!

I'm Sandy, and let me post my stats as of this AM:
Weight: 210 lbs
Bust: 41" (I don't know if I want this one to change much...)
Waist: 38"
Hips: 45"
Each Thigh: 26.5" (wish these would go away...)
Each Arm: 15" (damn you bye-bye arms!)

I am a major coffee addict: but I like my coffee with cream and sugar, so I'm not going to have any coffee this month. I can do this! I'm drinking tea like a maniac.

I've got a ton of resources for this- PM me if you need something like recipe books or guidelines.

I went and bought coconut oil last night- so far this is good. I really like the taste of it. I've also got avocado oil which is quite tasty.

I also like to think of this as the Australian diet- they eat meat and two veg every day- so that's my goal too! :)

I'm stoked- this is going to change my life!

My hurdles this month are 1.) two trips and 2.) training for a half marathon May 1st. I'm going to blow both of those out of the water!

If you want to post your stats, too, great, but don't feel any pressure. We're here to support eachother, to eat clean, and to feel great!

Ashley777
04-01-2011, 02:45 PM
'Weight loss is a lot like mountain climbing. Backsliding isn't a good reason to throw yourself to the bottom of the canyon. If you stumble or fall, you pick yourself up and keep going'

good luck on all your goals and plans. I am an avid hiker and love your quote! made my day! thanks!

uscarchie
04-01-2011, 02:58 PM
I found that on someone else's post, and loved it so much that I made it my mantra. :)

theCandEs
04-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Okay, I'm here!
Stats:
Height: 5'2"
Weight: 144
Bust: 40"
Waist: 33"
Hip: 41"
Each thigh: 21"
Each arm: 11"

My hurdle, of course, is Easter. I'm the room mom for my son's class. That means I plan the party for Easter. My husband has a ham ordered for Easter Sunday, and we usually have a get-together with the family. I guess ham is okay? He's getting it smoked. I'm planning on having fresh green beans with it. Those are always good.

I don't do running. LOL I do some exercising, but not running. Good luck with that!

I am going on a cruise at the end of May, and I want to be ready to swim. That will be my short-term goal.

Go team! We can do this! :cheer2: Seriously, I'm glad to be doing this. I need some support right now. What kind of cookbooks do you have?

uscarchie
04-01-2011, 09:07 PM
I love the idea of ham and green beans. Make hardboiled eggs for easter- the kids probably don't need any more candy- or you can get jelly beans- which you wouldn't really want to eat anyways. They make my teeth hurt. :)

Also, the trick is to imagine that whatever you want to cheat with tastes like cardboard. You don't want to eat cardboard.

theCandEs
04-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Fortunately, my boys don't really like candy all that much. We would still have Halloween candy, except I gave it away a long time ago. I will get them some, but not too much. ;)

Ah, cardboard, huh? That's an interesting trick.

uscarchie
04-02-2011, 01:17 PM
It works. No one wants to eat cardboard- it was reinforced with a brownie the other week that really did taste like cardboard! What a disappointment! If I'm going to cheat, I want it to be GOOD. :)

Yesterday went really well- I find this way of eating very similar (with adjustments) to South Beach Phase 1. I know that after 3 or 4 days I won't be salivating over anything carby. :) And I do love veggies! I went to the farmers market this AM and got some nitrate free chicken sausage and a TON of veggies.

I also picked up a recipe for garlic-ey greens. You take greens (spinach, kale, or chard), de-stem them, and saute them in garlic, oil, and salt. Throw in a little pepper to taste. I've done this with kale. I've got swiss chard to try this with this week.

saycindy
04-03-2011, 10:10 AM
I'm game. I have been doing the Dukan Diet for the last 2 weeks. Very much like Paleo. On the 2nd phase (which I'm on) you only have lean protein and non starch vegetables. They allow fake sugar, but I prefer to limit my sugar to my coffee. I'm still struggling with 1/2 and 1/2 and 1 tsp of sugar in my favorite hot brew. I have to get rid of them slowly.

Friday had a backslide but did not throw myself to the bottom of the canyon. Yesterday I had eggs, a hamburger, baby romaine and a cod fillet. Plus, a few cups of coffee and over 4 liters of water.

I've lost 7 pounds but regain and lose 2 of them. Progress not perfection.

walking2lose
04-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Sandy,

Looks like you are off to a great start - stocked with all the essentials!

We are leaving in an hour for a three day mini vacation in the mountains. This afternoon, we're going to a wine tasting, and then we are having a nice dinner out.

I will join you on April 5.

Good luck!

Arkansas Kel
04-03-2011, 01:06 PM
walking2lose: wow, have fun. 3 day getaway is all it takes sometimes.

mmmm, Easter is here soon isn't it? R the chocolate bunnies trembling in their boxes? Well, not because of us anyway! My fave Easter Lc eats are deviled eggs, asparagus, green beans almondine, and I just saw a fruit kebabs recipe that looked quite primal if u eat honey. 2 C greek yogurt, 1/4 C honey for dip. Then just string bright pretty little pieces of fruit on a kabob. They were arranged where they were sticking up like flowers would. Some more always good favorite is veggies with dip, bowl of mixed nuts, broccoli and cheese, CAuliflower fauxtatoes, cheese and meat plate. It might not be ALL primal or all any one persons fit, but I was just in a brainstorming mood. My aunt makes the best green beans - fry bacon, bust into bits, frozen beans into bacon grease, cook down forever, add bacon, keep cooking.... Where would southern cooking be without bacon grease?

So far today all is good. rosemary potatoes, more fish, coffee. I was in that kind of mood. Lunch? don't know, going groc shopping, will try to be a good girl! Supper - don't know - my chicken has crockpotted, and cooled overnight. Picking it apart so I can boil the bones and bits further, but I'll have a big pile of chicken meat to do something with. Maybe chicken for supper? LOL

uscarchie
04-04-2011, 12:37 PM
I'm using the croc pot for my dinner tonight: Making a roast with coconut milk, red curry paste, sweet potatoes, carrots, and onion. You throw it all in the croc pot and let it cook on low for 10 hours. Should be really tender and tasty.

Found another good resource over the weekend: paleohacks.com. It's another forum but I think this forum is still the best for support.

Last night I ate out and had a buffalo burger (no cheese, no bun, no mayo) and a side of steamed veggies. Tasted really good!

theCandEs
04-05-2011, 11:23 AM
I'm still here! It's been a rough couple of days. Seems like when you really want to do something, that is when all of the obstacles keep popping up. I'm hanging in there, though. I need to throw out some stuff so it's not still here, and I need to go grocery shopping.

We had a bad storm last night. It knocked out the power briefly, which caused me to be late getting up. Ugh! I hate days like that. It feels like I can't catch up.

Well, the scale is playing an April Fools joke on me. Yesterday I was down another pound, but today it came back. I guess eventually it will go away.

Y'all have great day!

uscarchie
04-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Water weight fluctuates a lot depending on what you did, what time of the month it is for you, what you ate, what you didn't eat... whether or not you gave the correct offering to the scale gods... they're contrary.

Just keep on going, that's all we can do. I personally feel that this is GREAT! I'm feeling good, I'm only having really weird dreams regarding gorging on chocolate... I woke up thinking "oh no, I ate a whole box of chocolates" and then felt so great when I realized it was only a dream.

I ate well, although I thought that dried "just mango" chips would be ok and I don't think they were really that great for me. Fruit is still very sweet. Today I'm eating strawberries. Way too many strawberries, but they're fresh from the farmers market and not too sweet, so I am looking at it as a fiber bomb. :)

I'm very lucky that there's a grill here at work- I can bbq chicken at lunch and it's TASTY.

uscarchie
04-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Yesterday, so far, so good. Avoided cookies like the plague. Tomorrow I fly to Toronto. I think I'll be OK on this trip- but I've got to avoid alcohol. Any thoughts on what would be good to drink when everyone else is drinking booze? I'm thinking a virgin bloody mary or just some sparkling water with lemon in it.

theCandEs
04-06-2011, 02:27 PM
I would do water with lemon or iced tea. Of course, I'm living in the south, so I would say tea. Here, though, they put sugar in it. You have to tell them not to, and sometimes they do it anyway, so you have to tell them again. LOL I don't usually drink alcohol (I'm not opposed to it. It's just not my "cup of tea."). Good for you for avoiding the cookies! My husband and kids finally finished up ours, and I'm not buying any more right now. Stupid cookies!

Well, I'm still on plan. (Yay, me!). The scale said I am down 2 pounds today. I think it is water weight, so I'm going to wait a day or so before changing the ticker.

saycindy
04-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Well I'm surviving this way of eating, just barely. Watched Addicted to Food and took away some interesting ideas. I'm trying to feel what I'm feeling and not push it away with food. Lots of self talk these days. Yes I'm bored, not hungry, yes, I'm sad, not hungry etc. Now how to reprogram my mind???

Ilene
04-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Ok, I'm in I completely forgot about this W30 thread....

We're only April 7th, so I'm not that much off ...

Today the only thing I fell off was that I ate about 6 wheat crackers that made it to my mouth without my realizing it, weird, I'm usually so conscientious of what goes in my mouth... But Ii nipped that in the bud and put the box away...

I cut out coffee and cream my first W30 in January and I'm still on that...

I'll post stats tomorrow morning when I weigh myself...

Arkansas Kel
04-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Just dropping in to cheer ya'll on! WOOT WOOT WOOT!!!!!

uscarchie
04-10-2011, 02:05 PM
Survived my business trip. On club soda and lime. Although I was starving on Friday at a factory tour. All the food options were carbs. And sweets.

I ran my 5k on Saturday and did it non-stop. First time ever! Woooo!

Now I'm home and it'll be easy to eat clean.

Saycindy, boredom will make you quit this diet right quick! Go to the grocery store, get some fresh looking veggie you don't usually get, and cook it up. Look up Whole30 and search the recipes. Or Mark Sisson's daily apple. There are a ton of resources!

walking2lose
04-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Ladies - good job to all so far! :carrot:

I start tomorrow. And boy I need to. I'm super bloated right now - I ate a bunch of fruit yesterday and some whipped cream with dark chocolate chips and about 2 t. of real maple syrup. I was craving sweets. PMS!!! :devil:

Between being a little crampy and all I ate yesterday and that, man, am I feeling bloated and icky.

I plan to make my kale chips today - wish I could make enough to snack on a few days or weeks, but I always eat them within one -two days. I'm also making homemade mayo. Grassfed fed beef is thawing and I'm going to boil some eggs. Yay for planning.

Glad to see everyone is doing so well - I"ll be 1.5 weeks behind, so who will keep going with me until May 11? :D

fireravensees
04-11-2011, 01:43 PM
i decided to take my measurments. i dont know what my pre atkins stats where. i didnt measure myself , i prolly didnt want to lol.
here they are
weight: 190 something, not weighing in till friday
chest: 39
waist 36
hips 44
thigh 26
arm 13
i havent taken my measurments in years. but i do remember some of them from yrs ago and i know im smaller now!:D

uscarchie
04-11-2011, 02:46 PM
It's good to feel smaller. I know I'm smaller because my pants are getting lose- but I won't do the final measuring until May 1st. :)

Let's see: Doin' ok- had a minor cheat with some peanut butter, but I think that's OK. I'm feeling really good. I found english peas at trader joes and I love them so much! :) Maybe eating too many peas but they taste so good.

I'm going to a festival in the desert this weekend. Not sure how I'm going to stay on plan there but I am pretty sure I'll be able to make it work. Salads are always a good fall back plan. :)

theCandEs
04-13-2011, 10:15 AM
Okay, I'm back. Had a banana and an egg for breakfast. It's amazing how after you give up sugar everything tastes sweeter. That banana was awesome!

uscarchie, I had some English peas last night and they were good, too! I know what you mean.

Hello, new people! :wave: The more, the merrier! uscarchie is our bold and fearless leader, but I just wanted to say hi to you all.

I have to go grocery shopping today. What do you all eat for lunch? I'm really getting tired of salad, but it seems to be my staple.

Have a great day! :easter3:

uscarchie
04-13-2011, 01:49 PM
My lunch usually consists of a steamed veggie pack- I've been buying those "steam in the bag" veggies. Then I add a protein. 1/2 a chicken breast, some steak, whatever I might have leftover from dinner the day before. I might also have some salad- and if I'm lucky, 1/2 of an avocado.

I don't like eating salads all the time- I much prefer steamed veggies. Easy to microwave.

walking2lose
04-13-2011, 08:51 PM
Hi Ladies,
I'm still eating some dairy this week, so I am not doing whole30; however, I have not had any alcohol - yay.

Just wanted to say way to go to all of you!

theCandEs
04-14-2011, 09:08 AM
That's a good idea, uscarchie. I will have to pick up some veggie thingies when I'm out today. I'm getting so tired of salad.

You can still stop by, Claire! We still need encouragement. Thanks!

uscarchie
04-14-2011, 12:21 PM
Mmmm, veggies. I think what makes this easy for me is one of my favorite dinners is steamed veggies. I've just been making sure I add some protein in.

So there's a celebration in my pants today! I'm fitting into my skinny jeans! The size 12 pants that I've not been able to wear for about a year. :) I had gotten down to this size before, quit South Beach, and started gaining slowly. Very very slowly. Now I'm back in them! Woooo! NSV!

Ilene
04-14-2011, 04:15 PM
:bravo: on your NSV uscarchie

I'm not being very W30 these days :frypan: ... but I'm trying ... One day at a time, one minute at a time....

uscarchie
04-14-2011, 05:52 PM
You just have to do the best you can. :) It's not always going to work- but hey, when you're in the groove, stick with it!

I'm hitting an "I WANT COFFEE!" wall- but the thing is, black coffee isn't my thing- what my cravings really mean is "I WANT CREAM AND SUGAR with a teensy bit of coffee flavor!" so I have to ignore those cravings.

theCandEs
04-17-2011, 06:10 PM
I understand the coffee thing. I gave up sugar and artificial sweeteners. Man, it was hard, but I think I've gotten through it now.

Congrats on fitting into the skinny jeans! WTG!

Scale says I'm officially down to 142, so I changed my ticker. Since I'm so short, that is a size 10/12 for me. April is halfway over. Easter party is coming this week!! OMG!

Wish me luck! I'm gonna need it.

uscarchie
04-19-2011, 01:04 PM
Wow, everyone is doing so well.

So I've got some sort of Martian Death Flu- I'm allowing tea with honey because it really helps the sore throat and eases the phlegmy cough. Damn you Martian Death Flu!

However, here's what's amazing! i was at Coachella- a music festival in the desert- and I was able to stay on plan! Now, I'm sure there might have been a few ingredients that might have been off plan in my salad dressing- but for the most part- I didn't cheat. Even though it was 100 degrees and boy that waffle ice cream sandwich did look tasty!

I think what worked out so well is that we were walking a ton.

Wooo! We're halfway through the month, keep going!

theCandEs
04-20-2011, 01:48 AM
Oh, no, uscarchie! :( I'm soo sorry about the Martian Death Flu! See, if you can joke like that, then I know you're going to be okay. ;) Feel better soon!

Congrats on making it through the music festival!! :carrot:

I'm coming off a crummy day. The crummy part had nothing to do with food, btw. It was just one of those days.

Easter party count down is in full swing! Thursday is the party. Ugh! I have to make cupcakes for it tomorrow. *sigh*

Good night everyone!

uscarchie
04-20-2011, 01:22 PM
Ok, I'm feeling a TON better now. Yesterday was feeling very low- but now it's like I'm alive again.

Do you think it's possible to live a whole lifetime not eating sugar? If sugar is toxic to our bodies, as Gary Taubes and others have postulated, then it makes sense that we shouldn't eat it. Of course, our bodies *crave* it. The cravings go down when we don't have it for a while.

But wouldn't you want to have a nice dessert with a nice dinner?

I'm not to the point yet where I could indulge and not have trouble sticking to the plan- for me it HAS to be an all or nothing attempt. (honey being something that I think I can make an exception for? I haven't yet thrown myself to the bottom of the canyon since I've used honey to soothe my sore throat.)

Well, this journey is a long one- this trying to be healthy for a life-time. But I do wonder if it's realistic. Once I'm done with this month, I may switch to an 80/20 perspective on the paleo.

theCandEs
04-20-2011, 05:29 PM
Glad you're feeling better! :)

A lifetime without sugar? Well, I suppose you could do it, but it would be extremely difficult. I've only been doing Primal for 4 months or so, and occasionally the sugar will grab me and smack me around a bit. I'm better at resisting it now, though, because it doesn't have the same appeal it used to have. Still, on my birthday, I want a cake or something. They had cupcakes in the break room today, and I felt the pull of them. I did not eat one, but I was sooo hungry, and that's what made it hard. If I had remembered to bring something for myself, then it would have been easy to walk right by and not drool.

A friend of mine ate one. Last year she lost a ton of weight. She's 20 pounds back up at this point, and she really wanted the cupcake, so she ate one. I don't want to do that, and I have to say, the cupcake didn't appeal to me enough to eat it. I mean, yeah, I was hungry, and I did want one when I was in the room with them, but once I left the room, I forgot about them. I remember when just the knowledge of a cupcake in the building would plague me until I ate one. I don't have that problem as much now. I mean, I'm not always perfect, but I'm not obsessed with it as much now, either.

uscarchie
04-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Those cupcakes are EVIL. I know exactly what you mean. It's hard to resist them. They call to you "Eat Me! You know you want me!"

And in my office, they seem to be here every other day.

I'm doin' okay today. Didn't plan so well today, but I think I was eating too much fruit the past few days, so I'm going to cut back on that today. :) And drink more water! It's hard to keep myself hydrated when sickness hits, and that's when it's most important!

Ilene
04-21-2011, 04:36 PM
uscarchie -- The less I eat sugar the less I crave it... but I do like to have my occasional desert :yes: but, sometimes, not all the time I feel awful after eating it... my stomach feels weird, I get a sugar headache or hangover... Not worth it sometimes...

I've done good the last couple of days, a co-worker and I have an W30 going from the 21st of April to the 21st of May ...

uscarchie
04-21-2011, 05:24 PM
Woo Hoo! Maybe I'll join you! Make it a Whole 51. :) I'm planning on keeping up this WOE. Although I may take a break on my half marathon- I'm feeling like I'll want my gu to keep my energy up. :)

HiltonHead0704
04-22-2011, 02:34 PM
Been reading these posts! I started my whole 30 March 28th. I have not cheated, too much anyway, the whole time. There were 2 conscious strays. 1 time we went to my boyfriend's parents' house (her is vietnamese) and had hot pot. We made the conscious decision to have the soy sauce his parents made to dip the meat and veggies in (I know soy is a big no no, but it just wasn't going to work without it). The other was when we were worried about getting a cold and had some Emergen - C, which contains a little sugar. No major reprocussions from either.

Weighed in and I have lost about 7.5 lbs since I started. I am thrilled, except my bf has lost 17, which makes me crazy! :)

So, this Sunday, Easter, would be day 28. We have made the decision to have spring rolls at his parents (rice paper, not fried). I think we are also going to get some frozen yogurt. So I am not quite making it the whole 30, but I plan to continue eating this way with "treats" every few days until around 4th of July, and see how things are going from there. Just hoping the little planned treat Sunday will not derail other efforts!

uscarchie
04-22-2011, 07:55 PM
Everyone is doing so well! I'm very nearly convinced that this is a WOE for a lifetime. I feel really good! Although I was reading in the Paleo thread that sleep is very important to this WOE. I think that my next steps will be trying to create a sleep environment that will be good for me. I may need to get a sleep mask- it's hard to black out my room.

I'm so charged up by the support on this forum. I tell all my friends who are trying to lose weight that they really need to be here!

theCandEs
04-25-2011, 11:34 AM
Well, I'm not going to say I was perfect yesterday, BUT ... I was pretty darn good, if I do say so myself. I did have a few Easter treats, but I didn't go all out. I think the Easter party cured me of over-indulging. I was so sick afterward, I don't want to ever do it again. Ugh! I should say also that Saturday was my DH's birthday. We went out for pizza. I did have some, but it was not good to me. I should have had a salad. I was so hungry, though! I didn't eat hardly anything all day. It was kind-of a forced fasting day because I was too busy to eat. The whole weekend seemed that way. We had family over. It was a stress/fun-filled weekend.

AND!!! I have to tell you how excited I am!! Went shopping with a friend on Friday (had the day off), and I am now wearing a size 8! Can you believe that mess?? I stood there in the dressing room and cried. I really did. It made me feel good and sick at the same time.

I think something is really fishy, though. I have 12s in my closet from 10 years ago, and they are snug. What is going on here? I know the style is different, but why would the size be that much off? I know when I lost weight 10 years ago, I got down to 140, and I was in a 12. Something is not right. Just sayin'.

uscarchie
04-25-2011, 01:41 PM
I was listening to NPR this morning and there's a push to standardize sizes- apparently some stores (I don't know which ones) have vanity sizes? Where they mark down the size so that us girls feel great about wearing smaller sizes? Who knew!

Okay, there's 5 days left to this month! Ending it with a bang and a half marathon May 1st. So let's do this! Finish strong!

By the way, I'm SO having a glass of wine May 1st. :) Just sayin. I'll stay very paleo with my eating but I am introducing wine.

HiltonHead0704
04-25-2011, 07:06 PM
Y'all are awesome! I was terrible this weekend. My bf and I were doing the whole 30 together and he gained 5 lbs over the weekend. I'll weigh in tomorrow. My stomach has been miserable since I ate at least half the off-plan things I wanted. Full of gas and bloaty. But back on track today and looking forward to feeling back to normal! So technically this is day 29, but days 27 and 28 were a wash. So, I plan to keep up the full whole 30 through the week at least, then slowly reintroduce other foods in.

uscarchie
04-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Yeah, the trick to reintroducing foods is to GO SLOW! One thing at a time. Then you can evaluate what it's doing to your body.

I've a sneaking suspicion I'm going to find out I'm lactose intolerant- I know my mom is.

uscarchie
04-27-2011, 01:36 PM
April 27th. 3 more days! Let's go! Some big changes afoot- my DH might be getting a new job! Which would mean moving from So Cal. Kinda crossing my fingers hoping it works out for him!

theCandEs
04-28-2011, 05:55 PM
I'm still here, uscarchie! We had some wicked bad weather here last night, but all is well today. It's beautiful outside here now.

Anyway, I buy Lee jeans, so I don't think this is vanity sizing. I think it's just brand differences. I'm not going to worry about it too much. My size 12 dresses fit, and that is my only concern right now, since I have a cruise to go on at the end of May.

OH!! My anniversary is May 1st! I need to get something for my DH stat! I better get on that tomorrow.

Good luck to your husband! Good to see you, too, Hilton Head. :wave:

uscarchie
04-30-2011, 10:53 AM
Final stats:
Weight: 198 lbs. (12 lbs!!!!)
L thigh, R thigh: 25.5"
Hips: 43.5"
Waist: 36"
Bust: 41" (whew.)
R arm, L arm: 14.5"

WOW! Great results!

uscarchie
04-30-2011, 10:54 AM
Thank you EVERYONE for your support! I could not have done this without you!

Ilene
04-30-2011, 05:16 PM
uscarchie :bravo: you're now in ONEDERLAND!!! Way to go :hug: congrats!!

theCandEs
04-30-2011, 05:33 PM
Weight: 140 Woo Hoo (That's pretty good for me!)
Bust: 38" What?!
Waist: 32"
Hip: 40"
Each thigh: 20"
Each arm: 11" *sigh*

Glad you did so well, uscarchie! I'm all for relaxing a bit now.

uscarchie
04-30-2011, 08:26 PM
Arms are the worst. But! Wow! What results! This is a great way of eating. I'm relaxing my diet this weekend, but I'll be back for next month. Just not quite as strict.

theCandEs
04-30-2011, 11:08 PM
I know! We did great!
:woohoo:
You lost 12 pounds, too. That is so awesome! I'm glad I found the primal website. It has really helped me stay focused. I'm also very happy with losing a pound a week. When I see it this way, I can tell I am still losing. I was getting discouraged because it seemed to be coming off so slowly, but now I know that it's still working. Thanks for the inspiring me! :high:

souvenirdarling
05-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Congratulations folks!

I just wanted to peek in - I'm doing a Whole30 for May :D I was so inspired by y'all!